Epilogue.

You know, guys, there are no words I can write that will alleviate at all the nasty sting of getting THISCLOSE to grabbing Lord Stanley’s ass during a waltz and then having to stand by and watch His Lordship tango away with a Red Wing sporting a rose in his teeth.

But I can say this:

1. I wish they would throw a parade anyway, because I would love to get right up in Marian Hossa’s face and shout at him about how much of the space in my heart that is dedicated to hockey is currently being filled up with the awesomeness of him.

2. I’m so glad that Evgeni Malkin got that ugly, hairy, bug-eating, howler monkey off of his back and scored in decisive fashion last night. Osgood was all What? What? Was that the puck? What was that thing that just flew by me?

3. I just wish that I could have seen Gary Roberts hold the cup.

4. I wish that we weren’t going to lose Hossa and Malone, but we’re gonna, aren’t we? Pensgirl?

5. Last night on Twitter as the Yinz Twitterverse was all “F*#&!!!!!”, reader Jayesel likened that third Red Wing’s goal to Fleury “pooping it into the net.”

That is just the perfect way to describe what happened there. No puck. It’s a save. Whew. Wait. What’s that thing? Is he POOPING THE PUCK INTO THE NET?!

But Marc-Andre has been carrying twenty-six guys on his shoulders for six games, so he shouldn’t be beating himself up today over that. Truly he has performed miraculously, and he has his 17 wives and now THREE husbands to look forward to when he’s rested up.

6. What a fan-frickin’-tastic season. The blood. The guts. The swollen eyes, busted noses, broken teeth. The bodies thrown without caution into the paths of missile-like pucks. The fire. The strength. The will. The want. The need.

It sucks to go into the locker room as the loser, but once the pain and disappointment of that clears, I really hope our boys can look at themselves and each other and realize what an incredible accomplishment this season was and how much all of us would like to hug all of them.

1. Angie :-)
    June 5, 2008 8:29 am

Yes!! We Should have a parade anyway!!! I hope we can keep malone. Please please keep Malone!!

2. MoreRoth,LessBurger
    June 5, 2008 8:40 am

I was so glad that they scored and got to feel the ‘burgh love from the crowd! I didn’t see the opening, but I hope it was fire, and strobe lights, and xtra loud rock with high decibel screaming that made Detroit’s ears bleed.

Can Steelrz has revenge?

3. lolo
    June 5, 2008 8:42 am

I totally second the motion of a parade for the Pens as a way to say “thankyouthankyouthankyou!”.

Now if we can just get city gov’t to get their act together an organize it. …WHAT?!?

4. Izzy
    June 5, 2008 8:43 am

Here, here! A parade…..absolutely. This morning I feel like the proud Mum and I wish I could take away the sting of losing. I love every single one of them…….what a ride it has been!

5. beatrix
    June 5, 2008 8:50 am

Ditto Angie’s comments.

6. Jenn
    June 5, 2008 8:51 am

I was hoping for a thank-you rally today. I wore my Malkin t-shirt in mourning/solidarity. It was a hell of a run, boys. You all kicked ass.

I am saddened, however, to not see many out there today showing the team colors. Maybe it’s because the dress codes are back in full swing or what-have-you, but I was really hoping to see some more solidarity the day after – a show of appreciation for the sacrifices these guys made. Maybe that’s just me.

7. honda driver
    June 5, 2008 8:55 am

amen to a parade so we can give the pens a big, sloppy, love-fest.

8. Matt
    June 5, 2008 8:55 am

My guess is that Hossa will definitely be gone but Shero is going to do everything in his power to keep Malone around.

9. johnaz6312
    June 5, 2008 8:56 am

The Pens had a hell of a year. Nothing to be ashamed about at all. Remember there are 28 other teams that would have loved to have been in the same position as the Penguins.

The have exceeded our expectations the last 2 years and they are one one of the hottest properties in sports and the NHL.

Thanks Guys!!! GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!

10. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 5, 2008 9:00 am

I heard the sad news this morning on the way to work. NY gives her condolences. :(

11. Mrs Pitsberger
    June 5, 2008 9:02 am

I almost cried when the fans stood up last night after the clock ran out and chanted, “Let’s Go Pens!” I wish I could go into the locker, mainly to tell them all, “Way to go, Boys. Ya done good,” but also to see a few of them in various states of half-dress.

A parade…Lukey, make it happen.

12. deegazette
    June 5, 2008 9:09 am

No doubt a tough loss. Somehow there is something so special about this team even to us who do not follow sports. When I say to my kid “Gary Roberts would have been up, dressed and ready for school already,” you know the kid believes it. If ever a young person was worthy of serving as a role model for other young people, it is Crosby.

13. Jennifer
    June 5, 2008 9:11 am

Did you SEE the coverage after the game??? Not the too gross to watch red wing celebration, but the interviews with the Pens? The sound was off at the bar but they all looked so SAD! Like they wanted to cry. I wanted to cry. I wanted to just go cuddle them all. I know you wanted the Cup. I know it sucks to lose, but DAMN you all played a GREAT season and should be so proud. I’ll offer my bosom to comfort each and every one of you. Really.

14. mis
    June 5, 2008 9:13 am

Dont get me wrong – I wish they would have won.
    But I am surprisingly content because you can’t ask for any more than what those guys did.
    They played their hardest and NEVER stopped trying. What a great thing for all the young Pens fans to see. And even though they didn’t win I guarantee they could get more action than Jeff Reed could even imagine in his wildest sicko dreams.
    Pens – we love ya!
    Thanks for a great ride.

15. DeutschtownFrau
    June 5, 2008 9:18 am

I had to drive up to Mellon Arena last night an hour or so after the game ended to pick up my son — sadly, not from the game, from a nearby friend’s apartment where he was watching the game. (We would not be so lucky as to get tickets to any playoff game because the Ticketmaster chick at our local Giant Eagle apparently does not know the meaning of the word LOTTERY.)

ANYWAY, as we drove past the arena where all the buses and police cars and motorcycles were lined up, there were hundreds and hundreds of fans lining the tunnel and the balcony above where the players emerge, and they were going crazy as the Pens walked out, two or three at a time. It was great to see how many people stayed so late to show their respect. Awesome season.

16. Allison
    June 5, 2008 9:18 am

They’ll try everything they can to keep Malone. It’ll be tough, since they’re giving fat cat contracts to Malkin, Fleury and Staal. Hopefully, Malone’s hometown pride will lead he and the Pens to work out a deal.

This has been such a great season of hockey and, after Game 5, these guys have proved so much more than anyone could ever have imagined. I think everyone is proud of them no matter what. I know I certainly am.

I heart each and every single one of them and I wish them all well, no matter where they end up. And, in retirement, Gary Roberts is totally going to become an action star.

17. Bulldog
    June 5, 2008 9:21 am

I TOTALLY agree with the call for a parade and/or rally to celebrate our boys. They brought lots of joy to this town much sooner than anyone realistically expected.

There isn’t anything to take away the sting of losing but they should most definitely take some comfort in knowing that they gave it their all and NEVER, EVER, quit. There’s no shame in coming up short, because the glory doesn’t come just from the victory, it’s the endeavor.

Remember the words of a great Pittsburgh coach “It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.” The Pens conducted themselves in a remarkable manner considering their youth and inexperience and they should take much pride in their success this season. I couldn’t be ANY more proud to be a Pens fan if they had won the Cup.

And yes, please, please, please, Ray Shero find a way to keep Malone.

18. Brian
    June 5, 2008 9:24 am

You know, it’s funny, but I’m surprisingly content too. Disappointed, sure, but damn, how could you not be totally excited about this team and what they did? It was like when the Steelers got waxed by the Pats in the 05 AFC title game. You knew they probably were there a little prematurely, but damn it, we got close. And we all know what happened the next year. This team will be back for certain. Next time, they’ll take it because they’ll have been there before.

The post-game standing ovation and chant … wow. Remarkable. Name another town where that would happen. Not Philly, that’s for sure. Not even Detroit. We all know what we have here, and it’s awesome. It also was classy that so many people stayed and watched Detroit get the Cup and celebrate. Classy. The Wings deserved the Cup, after all, and are a damn good team, and it’s nice we paid them respect. Remember, the Pens will be in the Wings’ skates one day, and we can only hope if we’re in a foreign building that those fans will show the same respect.

19. pgh33
    June 5, 2008 9:37 am

Check out this e-mail a Detroit fan sent to WPXI. Good stuff.

20. Pensgirl
    June 5, 2008 9:38 am

Two years ago we were 29th of 30. We have, according to expectations, overachieved for two straight seasons. Taken giant steps forward. I expect great things for the future.

4. Wow a direct question to me? Thrilled! Well…a week ago I’d have said “Hossa’s gone and it’s not unlikely that Bugsy will be too.”

But coming that close and seeing it slipping through your fingers can do funny things to people. In a strange twist of irony, the Pens losing last night may have given the organization its best possible shot at keeping those guys.

We, as fans, can look at this season as a success. But the players themselves, they won’t. They will see it as coming thisclose and failing. True competitors loathe losing. And this team is made up of true competitors from top to bottom.

If that loss ignites in them a burning desire to win that Cup and win it NEXT YEAR, and they believe that their best shot of doing that is to stay here and roll this same team out, we could land them yet.

Now, there are 29 other teams out there drooling at the propsect of those guys, and a union that will not allow them to take a big discount even if they wanted to. Hossa’s talented enough to command boatloads of money, and Malone is not just thinking about himself but also his wife and new son (“What if I get hurt and my career ends? I have to feed my kid.”).

If I was the agent for either of them, I’d say “You can sign here for a year or two, go for it again, and cash out after you win.” I don’t think we could get either of them for more than 3 years. But I do think that maybe, just maybe, we can get them.

21. Bill from Hanover
    June 5, 2008 9:39 am

Penguin Proud !

Congratulations to the Detroit Redwings on winning the Stanley Cup …… This is a veteran team and they played very hard to win this thing and it’s well earned and well deserved !

Am I feeling anger, am I upset that the Pens could not win this game, am I sad and depressed and have that bittersweet feeling in my stomach ? No, I feel really good this morning …….. Why ? We have seen the birth of something very special in Pittsburgh, this is a very young team who really never was given a chance this season to get as far as they did, this gave them some really good experience, they now know what it feels like to be in such a huge series and game, also this knowledge gained will only benefit them for years to come. The key for Mario and the Front Office is to try and keep this team togther, they have the chemistry and now the experience. Don Cherry paid the Pens Organization some very nice kudos and we all know Don Cherry is Mr. Hockey. I would have loved to get the cup, but it just was not meant to be ….. We have a very bright future in our Hockey Team, just think of what they done this early in the stages and think of what will be coming in the next few years …. Good Job, sorry I meant GREAT JOB PENS ! Nothing to be ashamed of, I am very proud to be a Pens Fan !!

With about 10 seconds left in the game, we almost tied it ………

22. Amazon woman
    June 5, 2008 9:53 am

Per my post yesterday…

Okay, so today we self-uniteds are having pity sex and not hot nasty sex. Oh well. As my hairdresser once pointed out, pity sex feels exactly the same as I’m great, your great sex.

Ladies, try to focus on unbruised areas. Hal & I will probably be late for Eat-n-Park (there’s alot of ground to cover), so somebody save us seats.

I say later we hop a plane for The Islands … you know the ones Gary Roberts deflowered.

I love this team so much. Bring on the parade.

23. gunnlino
    June 5, 2008 10:03 am

To echo others comments, great season, etc., etc. but no parade, parades are for the winner not the loser.
    As a far deeper thinker than many of us said ” Second place is the first loser “,. From the professional competitors viewpoint, a parade means what ? To remind me that I didn’t win, that’s what.
    From the fat guy with no life who paints his face to the family man who played a little hockey in high school, the house frau who just as avidly cheers for the players, knows their names and ages as well as she knows her own kids, the tramp with the tat in a South Side bar, and the fans who have never laced up skates, we all feel good and bad at the same time.
    But the same thread runs through us all ” Wait ’till next year “!

24. Kristin
    June 5, 2008 10:09 am

Last night was such a tough loss but I, like all the other Pens fans, am so extremely proud of our boys. You could tell they were all still tired from the other night, but they still played their hearts out. It’s disappointing to lose when you’ve come so close. But you know what? No one thought they could get as far as they did. Everyone kept saying that they had no shot at winning the Cup. But they proved everyone wrong. They deserved to be there more than anyone.

I am a HUGE Steelers fan, but after watching this hockey season I actually think I love the Pens so much more than the Steelers because you can tell that they all support each other and respect each other. They feed off of each other and want their teamates to succeed. The Red Wings are a great hockey team and played a great game, but I don’t think there is another team out there (in any sport) that has as much heart as the Pens. They were so classy after they lost, staying to watch the other team get the Cup that they so badly wanted. Then in the interviews after the game they all looked like they wanted to cry.

But next year is their year! They are going to win, I know it! And we will all be right there with them to see them do it and cheer them on. LET’S GO PENS LET’S GO PENS LET’S GO PENS!!

25. In Sewickley
    June 5, 2008 10:16 am

Malkin scored! Wooooooooo!!!

And MAF pooping the puck. It’s sad to think about it happening, but it’s SO funny to think of it that way. hehehehhee.

Yeah, I cried when the buzzer sounded.

Way to go Pens! We love you!

26. Katie
    June 5, 2008 10:18 am

I would very willingly drive 4 hours from school in Ohio back to home in the Burgh just for a parade if they had one. Someone needs to get on that….

27. Goob
    June 5, 2008 11:03 am

pgh33 already posted this link up thread a bit, but I’ll post it again:

…because that’s the best reason to be proud of what our team did this year.

I couldn’t have asked for more than game 5, really. The Wregget jersey is back in the closet; it’s been a brilliant season.

28. back in the burgh
    June 5, 2008 11:41 am

We love you, Pens! Thanks for giving us a great season. As a mom of two young hockey players, I could not be more proud of the Penguins as a team. They are classy, tough, strong, focused and such great role models. They never gave up and they showed what it takes to be great. The Wings are an outstanding team and I hope they enjoy their victory. But we will win and it will be soon. Keep Malone. Keep Hossa. GO PENS!!!

June 5, 2008 11:55 am

I know we lost, but I’m still po’d that I couldn’t watch — damned work meetings! thank God for espn.com and my girl texting me to keep me updated.

hell of an effort. no quit on this team AT ALL. kudos to the players and therrien (give that man an extension.) hope we can keep malone, but sounds like hossa will be too much coin. and, there’s talk of not keeping ty conklin, which is a shame if it’s true — without him, we would not have made it to the cup.

thank you, pens — you grew up a LOT this year — and, wait ’til next year!

30. Stephanique1
    June 5, 2008 12:09 pm

The picture of Malkin sitting alone in the Pens locker room on the Post Gazette website, makes me wants to jump on him and smother him with kisses.

31. Pingback: Pittsburgh Penquins - Fantastic Season Fellas « Robbins in Colorado

32. robin
    June 5, 2008 2:22 pm

Great sports tv. Two very good teams giving it their all. No reason for anyone to hold their head down.
    Just Phenomenal.

On a side note, I’m so glad I don’t have to see those stupid commercials from edge anymore. Girls spraying each other with “foam” and the incredibly stupid one with girls flying up a guy’s nose and having a dance party. Good bye.

33. burghguy28
    June 5, 2008 2:33 pm

Just remember- 3 months until they start all over again at training camp!

34. John
    June 5, 2008 2:34 pm

I’m sad and disappointed that the Pens lost, but this season far exceeded my expectations. The Pens won the division, tore through the Eastern Conference playoffs and lost to (frankly) a better, more experienced team in the Finals. The boys are to be commended and cheered. They did good. I only hope that Shero will be able to keep the majority of the team intact because I think this team is primed for another Cup run next season.

35. chadster
    June 5, 2008 2:53 pm

Props to the Pens fans, for showing the NHL that the Pens deserve to stay in Pitt (and deserve a new arena). It’s too bad, and I truely do NOT mean for this to be a jab at the Pens, but the Pens fans outclassed even their own team. When Therrien couldn’t stop crying at the refs, and Crosby’s constant lack of respect towards the Wings players in interviews, the Pens fans did not resort to those cheap tactics, and instead held their focus on celebrating their team. Honestly, as a Wings fan, the best method I see is to get a stronger coach out there, one that will work Crosby and Malkin on defense. As greatly skilled and smart as those guys are, they can apply that same skill to playing D, which will not only make them better both way’s, but will give them more offensive opportunities, thrusting them even further into the spotlight in that area. These Pens (nor their fans) have nothing to hang their heads about. They are a strong team that will get stronger, and with the right moves made, they will have their day of glory. I gained a ton of respect towards Pitt after this series, and I’m glad Lord Stanley Cup was represented by the two best franchises this season. See you guys next year, somewhere deep in the playoffs again.

36. Shaun
    June 5, 2008 3:02 pm

One of my favorite moments of the game was when the Pens were about to go on the penalty kill, and the crowd started chanting “Deee-fense! Deee-fense!” like at a Steelers game. Only in Pittsburgh.

When this group of core Pens do get around to winning one or more Cups, they’ll be doing a lot to save the NHL as well. It’s no coincidence that the two games that everyone was buzzing about were the ones that we won and imposed our style of play.

37. lovesthenorthside
    June 5, 2008 3:50 pm

@brian’s 2nd paragraph: true that.

@robin re commercials: oh, church. same to that “sun is out” car commercial, dockers and volkswagon ads too.

thanks to our pens for a thoroughly enjoyable, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat season, and for the chance to show the nation how beautiful our city is!

38. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 5, 2008 6:02 pm

Thank you Pens! Chin up and we’ll get ‘em next year! Hugs all around.

39. KGC
    June 5, 2008 6:17 pm

Great job, Pens. I’m not even a hockey fan, but I stayed up for the entire 3OT game and watched all of last nights game.. seems I watched more and more as the playoffs went on. One thing I will say is that the games can be very exciting at times. Now, if I only understood the game. NBC or Versus could have inserted some very brief explanations here and there.

40. Pensgirl
    June 5, 2008 9:16 pm

KGC, NBC and Versus are so horribly awful for learning the game. If you really are interested in following it better, might I suggest finding a local youth hockey organization and going to its games? That would be free (except gas) and because the game is so much slower at that level you really learn a lot easier.

It was the talented early 90s Pens teams that really drew me in to the sport but I learned the game more by watching my brother’s teams play. Eleven year olds are much easier to follow!