Hope. It blooms.

Can I just say, again, how remarkable a set of guys our Pen-ins are? (also, I want to be best friends with The Toddler)

Not only is Hossa willing to take less cash for a run at the Cup:

“If I wanted to make a couple more dollars, I would probably just re-sign with Atlanta,” said Hossa, whose 12 goals and 26 points in the playoffs were exactly what the Penguins were seeking when they acquired him from the Thrashers on Feb. 26. “But I’m glad Pittsburgh got me here. This was a fun journey for myself, and a great experience. I hope I can stick with a great team like this. …

“There’s always a limit, but I’d rather take a little less and play on a good team, definitely.”

But, get a load of THIS!

Crosby, whose five-year, $43.5-million extension begins this fall, said yesterday that he is willing to drop his tag as the team’s highest-paid player in order to keep his right-hand man in Hossa.

I can’t comprehend professional athletes having this you, you, you attitude in this me, me, me world.

Know what else I can’t comprehend? PittGirl blogging on Saturday morning.

Even Saucy is still asleep.

1. Goob
    June 7, 2008 9:09 am

This is one of those things; we are lucky (or proud!) to have the kind of community here that introduces positive feedback with our sporting franchises. In other cities teams can be a magnet for sentiments of superiority or (and!) shame. Here:well, we seem to cultivate class.

They need a spare warehouse to store up the accumulated class that has been generated by the Rooney family over the years, and the stack of trials that have been put before the Steelers time and time again. This year, the penguins made it clear over all else just how important it was to honor themselves as a team, and in turn the teams they played. The pirates play in a very classy building. It’s nice.

On one hand, it’s professional sports – there is great pressure to optimize earnings as careers are getting shorter, and more difficult in the face of ever increasing competition. But this kind of thing, even talking about taking less money in exchange for the preservation of the group, something greater: I cannot even see that conversation conceived of in Dallas, or New York, or Atlanta.

But here, they’re proud of it. And I’m proud of that.

2. rachel
    June 7, 2008 9:21 am

So refreshing to see this. As someone who works in sports, so many athletes just make me want to throw up. And I love Sid for every ounce of his awesome playing ability, but even more for his awesome humble-ness and “want to win above all” attitude. Team sports, team players.

Sidenote: Jerome Bettis took a pay cut, and then we won a Super Bowl…just sayin’.

3. Mitch Cumstein
    June 7, 2008 10:13 am

Hossa, Hossa, Hossa. Giddy thinking about what kind of numbers he and Sid put up during a whole season together. Geno will be back on track, too.

4. John
    June 7, 2008 10:54 am

Please, please, please let this come to pass. It’s so refreshing to hear these kinds of things from athletes, and I also think it’s a testament to our fair city. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed how many ex-Pittsburgh sports stars end up living here after they retire or even after they go to another team.

5. Maria
    June 7, 2008 11:53 am

This is so great. Think they’ll be willing to make some sacrifices to keep Malone? I really hope so. I love that man.

6. Pensgirl
    June 7, 2008 11:53 am

The Penguins, like I said the other day, are true competitors, top to bottom. They want to win, they need to win. Coming so close but missing is eating at all of them. It’s also provided them incentive to stay, and prove to themselves and everybody else that they can win together.

If anyone is interested in seeing the interviews, just go here and launch the video player. It has exit interviews with Sid, Hossa, Gonchar, Talbot, and Fleury, along with Therrien’s presser. It’s great, because, for example, even though you already knew that Sid doesn’t care if he’s the highest paid – that’s evident in everything about his character – to hear him scoff at the question like it’s the most ridiculous thing he’s ever heard, well that’s just a wonderful thing.

7. Pensgirl
    June 7, 2008 12:11 pm

Maria, Bugsy is their only winger who has the size and the hands to be a real “power forward,” and in my mind he has to be a priority. But it’s tricky because the same reason we need him here is why we could lose him – there aren’t a whole lot of players like him anymore, and so they come at a premium. I’m a little worried that if we can’t agree to terms before he hits the open market that some GM will offer him a deal that’s so ridiculous it wouldn’t be worth it for us to match, and that he’d be crazy to turn down.

But, like with Hossa, I do think he has an incentive to stay to try to go for the Cup again, and like with Hossa, I think it’s realistic to hope that we can re-sign him to a short-term contract for that purpose.

8. Katie
    June 7, 2008 3:49 pm

I would love, love, love to see this happen!

9. Jenn
    June 7, 2008 6:54 pm

Just one of the many reasons why I love these guys. Class acts. All of ’em.

10. Burgh Baby
    June 7, 2008 7:14 pm

At this very moment, you can HAVE The Toddler. All yours. No need to bring her back. BFF it up all you want. As a bonus, I don’t think you need to worry about your anonymity, given that we are talking about a kid that swears there are elephants running all over Robinson Township. No one would believe her when she told them you really were Ken Rice, anyway.

Also, I’m revising that list. Playoff hockey is hella more fun (and stressful) than anything else and the Pens are by far the classiest act in town. It’s not even a contest at this point. Sid has more class in his little finger than the entire Succos organization.

11. mis
    June 7, 2008 9:09 pm

After hearing about all this I think I want to self-unite with the whole darn team!
    Man, I love ’em all.

12. Anthony
    June 7, 2008 9:33 pm

More importantly, why didn’t they Photoshop out that red thing on his nose?

13. Still A Fan
    June 7, 2008 10:09 pm

smokin’ hot banner. nice job.

14. Michelle
    June 8, 2008 8:04 am

I effing love this team.
    Seriously. Like, I would give my kidney if they needed it love.

15. Michelle
    June 8, 2008 8:06 am

Also,
    What’s Sonni gonna do if they let KRIS BEECH slip through their fingers?!

16. Maria
    June 8, 2008 7:41 pm

My mother called me today, and she mentioned that she heard about Sid possibly taking a pay cut to keep the team together. And then, my mother, aka Ben Roethisberger Head Minion, said, “You know, Crosby could really teach Big Ben something about how to represent the city. Next to Sid, Ben looks like a major douche.”

It was heartwarming.

June 8, 2008 11:10 pm

this would be great…

…IF it comes to pass.

the thing with sid is that he makes a pretty good amount of endorsement coin, so he can afford to make such a move and hopefully enable the pens to sign good players to surround him. AND, he already did take less money for this contract.

but — and, don’t get me wrong, as I do love to hear the unselfishness — we can’t keep EVERYONE from this team — maybe even hossa. the salary cap won’t let us.

besides — do we WANT to keep everyone from this team? I give credit where credit is due — they did tremendously well and got us so close — but, the fact is, we didn’t win the cup. some players will have to go and that’s a fact and good luck to them. but, I hope that shero can replace them with better quality players and therrien can make them jell in order to get us to where we all want the pens to be: stanley cup champs.

let’s hope so.

18. Alison
    June 9, 2008 11:20 am

I make fun of my mother a lot for calling the pens “nice boys” but in their way, they are. i love it.
    Also, i might be 20, but i’m so ready to self-unite with Hossa.

19. W
    June 9, 2008 6:43 pm

Maybe the Stillers can take a cue from them……

June 10, 2008 10:04 am

just a thought….

would anyone here take a pay cut at their job in order to get or keep another co-worker?

I’m betting not.

I know that I wouldn’t.

21. i love ryan malones sweet tats
    June 26, 2008 8:52 pm

wheres the one of malkin in the chair?

priceless

22. nathelle
    July 1, 2008 3:14 am

today is probably going to be the most sadest day so far cause some penguins will be leaving marian hossa, ryan malone, gary roberts and i believe thats all well anyway i really dont like this day i mean come on the pens were such a good team with mostly filled with guys in there 20s i just hope marian hossa will reconsiter staying in pittsburgh and i hope the pens will sigh gary roberts and ryan malone to pittsburgh but that will probably not happen cause there going to tampa i think well i hope the rookies will be as good as sidney crosby was and i hope the pens can be as best as they were this year next year i love the penguins and all of there players i just dont want to see anyone go all the players had a part in making them a dream team and even though they didnt win the stanley cup they were so close and at least they all go to experience that special moment this was probably one of the best team the penguins had ever had and next year the pens are going for the stanley cup and there going to the finals and there going to win it wooooo!! go pens