Yee-haw! Ole!

As you know, PittGirl and friends spent Saturday downtown at the Kenny Chesney concert, after a few stops beforehand:

1. First, you can’t park downtown, walk through the Arts Festival and try to walk past this booth thinking you’re not going to buy something.

It didn’t delay us long because it only takes about two minutes to shove down six grapeleaves and a spinach pie. Sexy.

2. Jerome Bettis’ Grille 36 for dinner. So I guess we’ll call the bellyfull of Greek food an “appetizer”.

I tried the Tuna Wrap. Look how pretty that is:

Here’s a tip, the creamy green stuff drizzled all over the bottom of the plate? Don’t be fooled like stupid PittGirl. It is NOT cilantro avocado sauce. Thinking it was, I picked up a tuna wrap wedge, dragged it all through the sauce, took a bite and then was all WASABIIIIIIIIIIII!

Instant tears. My nostrils shooting out flames, I turned to my friend and said, “This must be what doing a line of cocaine feels like.” Sexy.

3. Entering Heinz Field, getting ready to head to our seats in time to see Gary Allan rip through his songs, it was potty time. I love being a girl (says Ken Rice). But I HATE being a girl when this is the men’s room line:

And this is the women’s room line.

I will never understand this phenomenon, and I can’t express to you how close I was to just walking into the men’s room all, “Have you SEEN the line over there?!” Men must have bladders the size of bread baskets. Sexy.

4. The concert:

Dancing and singing in the rain, some things that struck me.

A. There oughta be a law that you cannot take your shirt off at a concert if you are over 45-years-old. They should card people. “Sir, can I see some ID? Right. It says here you were born in 1950, so I’m going to have to ask you to put your shirt back on for the LOVE OF GOD!”

B. Our city. It is magnificent.

As I sat there listening to Keith Urban spill his hot all over the stage, and then watched as the constant clouds finally thinned out and parted to reveal a splash of sun rays hitting the windows of the skyline, I could only think that yeah, there are other cities as cool as ours, maybe as pretty as ours, and maybe richer than ours, healthier than ours, newer, faster, stronger than ours, but this one is ours, all ours, and it moves me and it inspires me and it makes me think that maybe we’re prouder of ours.

Also? Someone in the audience handed Kenny Chesney a Terrible Towel and he flapped it around from hip to hip like he was a bullfighter and it was his cape. REALLY?! Tsk.

(All photos courtesy of Saucy, my bitch, who was all, “Damn. Country music? The next concert better be Ne-Yo, girl. Country frickin’ music …  Can you at least turn me off until it’s over?!”)

1. Grad Student
    June 16, 2008 9:33 am

Have you ever been in a men’s room in a stadium, Pittgirl? You can get more people peeing at once because the urinal is a TROUGH. We may have shorter lines, but you don’t have splashback…

2. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    June 16, 2008 9:50 am

A few years back when I was still living in Pittsburgh, I ended up taking a then-girlfriend to a Journey concert near Cleveland. Anyway, the line to the women’s restroom was out the door and about 20-30 yards up the sidewalk. The line at the men’s room was one guy per urinal and about two guys and two girls waiting for a stall.
    Nobody there even seemed to blink at women in the men’s room, so next time, PittGirl, I say go for it. Use the men’s room. One warning though, drunk guys don’t have the best aim, so I’d avoid actually making contact with the seat.

3. KGC
    June 16, 2008 10:12 am

Know why the women’s line is longer? ‘Cuz you ladies always go as a group! Real men don’t turn to their buddy and say “Gotta pee. Wanta come along?”

4. BIGGEORGE
    June 16, 2008 10:13 am

The best quote about Pittsburgh I’ve heard

If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it.
    –Brendan Gill

that’s church!

BIGGEORGE

5. John
    June 16, 2008 10:19 am

PG – you should heed Grad Student’s advice about the troughs. I have this theory that one day some years ago, Dan and Art Rooney were sitting around talking about what should be included in Heinz Field and were (of course) looking for ways to cut costs. Art suggested troughs in the mens room to his dad, and the rest is history…

6. mis
    June 16, 2008 10:32 am

The concert was fantastic.
    I was totally waiting for a wardrobe malfunction when Leann Rimes was performing though.

7. GloryB
    June 16, 2008 11:29 am

Loved the ‘Burgh video Chesney played, and the “Let’s Go Pens” chant that broke out over the crowd. But, The Terrible Towel/bullfighter situation — Kenny is not-Burgh-cool. Has he never seen one Steeler game in his entire life? How could he not know how to treat The Towel?

My sister and I did witness (along with a few thousand other people) why the men’s restroom line might be shorter. Walking along the river, we saw some drunk- out-of-his-mind guy behind one of the old bridge supports between Heinz Field and PNC Park. He kept looking to his left (obviously to make sure he was remaining hidden to the two people traveling in that direction) as he relieved himself while trying to remain upright. Had he only looked to his right, he would have seen that his powers of invisibility had left him with the last swallow of beer.

8. Bram R
    June 16, 2008 11:41 am

This morning on the radio, Marty G was making out the Kenny Chesney concert to be a booze and boot fest of epic / crisis proportions. Did anyone see anything like that? It’s hard to judge from a couple of phone calls….

9. Geeo
    June 16, 2008 2:12 pm

I saw the Kenny Chesney concert drunks on the news Saturday night. What a bunch of pigs. They drive in from Hicksville, drink cheap beer, throw up, pass out, and leave all their garbage where they tailgate. The chicks were a’wearin’ their cowboy hats and tube tops and showin’ their ta-tas, and the guys were a-drinkin’ and a-belchin’ to beat the band as their beer bellies stuck out from their t-shirts. Channel 11 showed one young drunk who looked like he was 16 passed out in the parking lot before the concert even started. Maybe we should have future Kenny Chesney concerts in Meadville, then the taxpayers of that fair city can pay to clean up the drunken mess.

10. Burgh Baby
    June 16, 2008 4:06 pm

I could have gone through life not knowing that there is a piss trough in the mens room at Heinz Field. Now the image is permanently emblazoned in my mind. It’s kind of a splashy, nasty image.

11. Still A Fan
    June 16, 2008 5:01 pm

daisey dukes rule.

12. jcubed
    June 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Was at the KC concert on Saturday in the sandbar section and almost went “choke a bitch” on a 40 something woman who jumped all over my back everytime Kenny came near. I totally thought of PittGirl at that moment – WWPGD?

13. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 18, 2008 7:03 am

daisey dukes rule….in the right situation