Father and Mother of the Year

1.  First up is the Father of the Year:

A Belle Vernon man has been charged with reckless endangerment after his 9-year-old son exploded an M-80 firework in his hand, according to Southwest Regional Police.

The boy was badly injured and taken to Children’s Hospital.

Police said Brandon C. Barcus Sr., 37, of Water Street, had left his son unattended with fireworks and a cigarette lighter around 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

“Hey son, here’s an illegal explosive device and here’s a flame source.  I’ll be right back.  Don’t do anything silly while I’m gone.”

That’s like Lukey saying to one of his rotating press secretaries, “Hey, you, here’s a live microphone and a news crew.  I’ll be right back.  Don’t say anything silly while I’m gone.”

[Lukey leaves the room.]

Press secretary: OMG!  Our mayor is like the Britney Spears of Pittsburgh!  Holla!

2.  And the hands-down winner for Mother of the Year:

ERIE, Pa. — An Erie County woman charged in the drunk-driving death of her son went to a bar after his funeral instead of reporting back to jail, state police said.

A judge had given Erin Howard, 26, of Corry, permission to leave the Erie County Prison for 24 hours to attend her son’s funeral in Ohio, with orders to return to the lockup by 3 p.m. Saturday.

Instead, Howard went to a bar called Tailgaters in Hamilton, Ohio, about a mile from the church where the funeral for 6-year-old Samuel Carpenter was held, police said.

I realize that they say that alcoholism is a real disease, but sometimes I think it is just people choosing to be real assholes.

1. chrys
    June 24, 2008 11:24 am

So much for a wake up call.. you’d think that mother would want to be a sober person after losing something so incredibly precious.. It is hard for me to believe that the death of her son from her drunk driving wasn’t rock bottom. I am guessing her rock bottom will be something bigger.. killing herself, perhaps. Incredibly sad story…

2. spoon
    June 24, 2008 11:33 am

I read about the murder last weekend when I was in Erie. The mom is a real treat that’s for sure. She’s not an asshole, she’s a disgrace to motherhood and an insult to anyone trying to have kids. You can’t tell me that someone on the line for murder was allowed to attend a funeral without some kind of supervision. Who the heck let her go to a bar and why is it that white trash can always reproduce like a rabbit?

3. corner press
    June 24, 2008 11:45 am

This is where I hang my head in shame and begrudgingly admit that I’m actually from the same hometown as this so-called mother.

No, I didn’t know her. At least I don’t think so anyway. But still. Hard to see the city’s reputation (yes, Corry is indeed a city) dragged through the dirt because of one person’s stupidity.

This is also one of the many reasons I moved away years ago.

Sad. Very, very sad.

4. captain dummy
    June 24, 2008 12:16 pm

…the year is still young! unfortunately!!!

5. dwight
    June 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Yeah, you can have a real disease AND be an asshole.

6. Lisa P
    June 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Unfortunately I will say, I know this idiot Barcus. This suprises me that it was an m80 and not a crack pipe. They need to ship his butt to jail. And the mother of this child is just as bad, believe me. Just listen to the neighbors once in a while. Child welfare should definately look into this. They used to leave this child in a stroller as a newborn while they drank in the bar ACROSS THE STREET

7. Aeran
    June 24, 2008 4:48 pm

tThis mother is obviously self-destructive. To be honest, can you blame her for wanting to drink herself into oblivion after killing her own child through sheer stupidity?

8. gunnlino
    June 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Making excuses for this piece of shit saying she has a disease, drinking like that is a choice, a decision nothing more nothing less.
    She is a danger to society and she just proved it twice, anyone want to be driving or walking around when she gets of of jail and behind the wheel again?

9. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 25, 2008 7:20 am

Pathetic.

10. Brian
    June 25, 2008 7:34 am

Yeah, I don’t want to sound like a nutcase (not that I haven’t done that before), but people really need to take some sort of intelligence and responsibility battery test, and if you fail, you’re getting tied or snipped. The sad thing is these children now will grow up to be just like mom and dad and start a whole new wave of stupidity and recklessness. What’s worse, is so many of those idiot parents have more than one child, so they’re taking their own intelligence void and multiplying it. I say lock mom up forever, and throw dad into a frozen lake and let him swim his way out.

June 25, 2008 9:52 am

Brian — that’d be a lot of people getting tied or snipped…..

12. Brian