Random n’at.

1.  Now.  Where were we?

Right.  A few days off for a boosting of the creative juices, a resting of the brain matter, and a gathering of the entire family in celebration for Father of PittGirl’s retirement party, which brought Tina Fey, Ohio Sister, Ta-Ta and their families to town and needless to say, I haven’t been sitting in the vicinity of a computer for four days.

I have however been sitting in the vicinity of cake, Zima, high-carb catered foods, pizza, poopy diapers, angry babies, and screaming children shoving foam guns in my face and firing at point blank range while yelling something that sounds like, “Blierg woejfdl dead plheuw gleif blam!” which I believe translates into, “You’re my favorite auntie EVER!”

Good times.

2.   With three sentences, Ian Snell demonstrates what the hell is wrong with the attitudes of many of the Buccos of Suckitude players:

There are probably 100 pitchers in the big leagues not doing well that people expected to do well. It [stinks], but it’s fact. You’re going to have bad years before you have great ones. Right now, I’m having a bad one. Big deal.”

Big deal?

Dude, when you’re paid the money you’re being paid ($24.6 million) to throw a ball and your team hasn’t managed to win in a decade and a half, it is a big deal when one of our few decent pitchers has a bad season.

If it’s not a big deal to you, make it a big deal, would ya?  Could ya?

Just once, in the midst of a bad season, I’d like to see this printed in the PG and attributed to a Bucco, “Wow.  I [stink], don’t I?  But I’m going to work my [butt] off and I’m going to fix this [crap] because I can do better and I will [fudgin’] do better.”

Again, it’s called giving a damn.

3.  Yesterday, Tina Fey and I hit up Target to purchase birthday gifts for one of the 6,229 (it seems) children in our family and I saw these hilarious stickers and for the first time since I was 12, I bought myself some stickers.

It’s Happy Bunny stickers to be exact. I am going to get so much use out of these.

Here’s one I plan to stick on Lukey’s Trapper Keeper:

4.  So we’re losing Marian Hossa to free-agency, we’re losing Gary Roberts to free-agency, and we could have lost Evgeni Malkin to SHITLOADS OF TAX-FREE MONEY!

Thank God that Malkin values winning and staying a Penguin more than he values SHITLOADS OF TAX-FREE MONEY!

5.  Jack Wilson’s children’s names are:

Son Jacob, 6, and two daughters Jaidyn, 2, and Jersi, 9 months

Those names.  Normal, kinda normal, and not normal at all.

At this rate of downhill naming, If they have another child, I imagine they’ll name it Jabberwocky.

6.  Larry Richert of KDKA co-wrote a movie that is currently being filmed here in the Burgh with a cast of actors that includes Daryl Hannah, George Lopez, Eric Roberts, Michael Madsen, and bunches of others.

Daryl Hannah, who plays a therapist in the movie, wandered over to a gathering of reporters yesterday after eating lunch.

“I like stories about horses,” said Hannah, explaining her attraction to the part.

Daryl Hannah just went so deep so fast, I hope she doesn’t get the bends on her way back up.

7.  Georges Laraque singing Vanilla Ice.

My brain is all, “Surprisingly, PittGirl, this totally computes.”

(h/t Mark)

8.  If PittGirl drew a comic strip … that one would end with that guy covered in the sweet blood of dead pigeons.

I have a dream…

(h/t Sarah)

1. captain dummy
    June 24, 2008 9:13 am

whew! thank goodness your back! and congrats on “father of pittgirls retirement?!!!

2. Maria
    June 24, 2008 9:22 am

“So we’re losing Marian Hossa to free-agency, we’re losing Gary Roberts to free-agency…”

NOOO GARY SAY IT ISN’T SO!!

God. I feel like…I don’t even know. I can’t even find the words for how upset I am right now.

3. joey
    June 24, 2008 9:37 am

—-

I think that Geno values not living in Russia and dealing with the Russian mafia….

4. Goob
    June 24, 2008 10:03 am

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    did gyre and gimble in the wabe
    mimsey were the borogroves,
    and the Pirates blew the lead. Again.

(I’m sort of hoping that our side wakes up during the current series, and demonstrates to the good folks from New York that this town is the town where unstoppable juggernauts go to die, if only momentarily. But my hopes are not high, no.)

5. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 24, 2008 10:23 am

2. Although “NY Luvs Pitts” I’m sorry but the “Buccos of Suckitude” is not on my favorite teams list. I’m gonna have to cheer for the Yankees for two reasons. One, Derek Jeter’s Birthday is Thursday and mine is Wednesday (us Cancereans have to stick together). And two, If Snell’s attitude is “big deal” then A-Rod is gonna have to hit a few out of the park so he can see how BIG a deal it really is. SEE YA!!!

6. Brian
    June 24, 2008 10:23 am

I didn’t want to rain on everyone’s parade when Hossa was all like, “Yeah, I’ll take less to stay,” but I never bought it. I’m sure his agent had a good talking-to with him about that because, whether Hossa wants to stay or not, his agent gets his cut, he wants his cut to be big, and he wants to attract future clients who know they too can get big money from another team. Hossa is gone, always was gone, and no matter what anyone said, never was going to be a Pen in 2008/09 unless that 7-year offer was for about $70M. And he’ll get that somewhere (::cough:: New York). I’d love to be wrong on this; I’m not though. Athletes at the end of their deal always say they want to stay, but the money just looks so much better than the black and gold.

Can’t blame him, really. Hossa earned his next deal after his brilliant playoffs. And at least now we probably can expect to see Malkin stay around a bit longer than he was pegged when it was believed (dreamed?) Hossa would be here.

7. Pat
    June 24, 2008 10:28 am

Ian Snell, after leaving Sunday’s game with an elbow problem:

“You’ve got to show your team you want to be there,” Snell said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re sore or not. I wanted to show my team that I wanted to be out there. Obviously, I didn’t have it, and I was still trying to be out there.”

He raised his voice slightly.

“I never give up. I don’t care if people boo me, tell me I [stink], whatever. You’re not going to take my manhood from me or my competitiveness from me. Nobody will ever do that! Ever! Until the day I die, then you take it from me.”

There are a lot of Pirates that couldn’t care less about the team. Ian Snell is not one of them.

June 24, 2008 10:49 am

TOTALLY agree with pat about snell — he DOES give a damn — as do doumit and dougie m., at least. I wish that the rest of the team did as well — or, if they do, that we knew about it.

listen to the audio that is posted along with that snell story to get the full meaning of what he meant by “big deal”. he’s searching for it and, unfortunately, doesn’t have any answers yet.

as for the pens — y’all have to know that they CANNOT keep every player who is a free agent — it’s not possible. if fans are expecting these free agents (no matter what they say to the press) to come back here for less money, I have a bridge to sell ya. (as I’ve stated here before, who here would take less money to continue working where they work than they could get somewhere else???)

it will be interesting, though, to see who they CAN keep and who they add through free agency. keep in mind that, though the pens kicked ass this year, they still did NOT win the cup. if we can keep some key pieces and add a few, maybe we can win it next season.

geez — what’s up with all of my CAPS?

9. Sooska
    June 24, 2008 11:31 am

#6 Larry Richert co-wrote a movie? I hope to God the other guy is tremendously funny,talented and smart because Larry Richert IS.NOT. never has been. I don’t care if he’s Dan Marino’s BIL – all that proves is Dan got all the brains, talent and judgement in that family.

10. Bulldog
    June 24, 2008 12:11 pm

Sorry unsatisfied, but it doesn’t have to be that way with free agents, and no, they don’t all always leave for bigger money elsewhere. Jack Wilson didn’t and could have. Sid didn’t. Ben didn’t. Both of those guys could have chosen to play out their contracts and become free agents and almost certainly gotten much bigger contracts than they received here. Lots of people choose to continue their current vocation despite being able to get more money elsewhere. And I mean lots. For instance, just about every single guy and gal in the military after a few years of valuable training and experience could do better financially on the outside.

For many people, it’s not JUST about the paycheck although that certainly is important. If it’s JUST about the pay then there is a different term for that.

11. Kelli
    June 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Actually, I just declined a promotion that included a 10% increase in pay, more vacation and my bonus would have more than doubled.

I didn’t like the way the management I would then report to worked. I am better off where I am, even without the money.

12. Still A Fan
    June 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Trapper Keeper

Wow. That brings back memories.

Bulldog, you CANNOT compare a contract like Ben’s and then say he stayed for more money!!! It’s apples and oranges when you look at the specifics. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Fug N Gross supporter…always have been. I think if you take away Peyton and Brady he’s next in line as far as franchise QBs go….but don’t kid yourself into thinking he took less to stay here.

Why? His contract wasn’t up! Wasn’t even close. He had 2 years left. When you are a superb player and in a low paying contract with years left…the team that has you under contract basically has you by the donkey omelets. His choices sucked!!! Either play out two entire years and risk injury and also simply not playing well in hopes of landing a huge payday…..or take the offer on the table to get a $30 million plus GUARANTEED signing bonus right now. That, my friend, is not being loyal for taking “less” by any means. It’s being financially smart while having your PR people spin it as being loyal. You can only call someone for staying for less loyal if their contract is over or currently in it’s last year with very little time remaining. Anything else is all smoke and mirrors….and that’s church.

I think I worked 3 lexicon phrases in there!

13. Still A Fan
    June 24, 2008 7:18 pm

first sentence should read “and then say he stayed for less money”.

14. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 24, 2008 8:54 pm

This is my first time watching a Pirates game and they’re playing ball tonight. They’re doin’ da thang.

15. Pensrule
    June 25, 2008 7:10 am

Happy Bunny makes me happy!

I buy them for my daughters. cough cough

16. i love ryan malones sweet tats
    June 26, 2008 8:53 pm

pirates suck.

but hey.

malkin likes them.

17. BurgherinArkansas
    June 27, 2008 11:03 pm

My favorite sticker said “You smell like butt”