The post where I make fun of the Furries some more.

A comment posted to the previous Furries are Frickin’ Weird post:

I don’t attend Anthrocon because it’s on the wrong goddamned end of the country, but surfing Technorati for these kind of overblown reactions to it a lot of fun.

Here in California nerd society is what drives the economy, and nobody even blinks at these kind of conventions. Our big annual furry con, Further Confusion, is held in San Jose where it’s no secret that some of silicon valley’s biggest brains like to wear ears and tails.

If a furry con in your city is the biggest dose of weirdness you squares have ever gotten, I honestly feel kind of sorry for you!

Right, he’s just sitting there, deep in Halo, feeling very very honestly and genuinely sorry for us Burghers that look at large crowds of humans wearing full fursuits in 90 degree weather and say, “Frickin’ weirdos.”

To prove to him that I’m not a square, I’m going to make fun of the Furries some more.  Yay, me!

1.  Here’s one from KDKA:

That dog-faced bunny rabbit ate Rapunzel!

2.  The Power Rangers have really let themselves go.

3.  You might not want to look directly at this for too long because that costume could totes induce a seizure.

Somebody raided the fursuit dump.  Gawd bless America.

4.  Dear Cookie Monster:

Might want to lay off the lip collagen.

5.  Chippenbull.

Jeff Reed, is that you?!

Here’s the thing, people write and say, Hey, why hate on Furries?!  They’re just nerds.

Dudes.  I have friends that are nerds, friends that are geeks and friends that are dorks (personally, dorks are my favorite.  Srsly.), but not a single one of them uses a litter box, yiffs other furries, or plays with balls of yarn … like they mean it.

And other people write me and say, HEY! Furries are just the spice of life!

I say, no, Trekkies might be the cilantro in our pico de gallo and die-hard gamers might be the cumin in our tortilla soup, but Furries are the raisins in our spaghetti.

Weird.

1. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 30, 2008 10:48 am

**shudder**

WTF.

2. Brett
    June 30, 2008 11:00 am

Personally, I love the Furries–they don’t hurt anybody, and with creativity comes some oddities. The more accepting a place is, the more dynamic it becomes, and I’m all for that.

I’d much rather have a Furry convention than something more conventional like a Motorcycle convention or something–at least Furries aren’t loud and annoying!

3. Chris
    June 30, 2008 11:10 am

Okay, you need to seriously warn us next time you put up something with the word “yiff” in it. I clicked on it…oh, the humanity…I think I need a shower now.

4. Kelli
    June 30, 2008 11:21 am

See, they don’t really bother me – but they are good for a few laughs.

Then again, who among us hasn’t, at one time or another, provided a few laughs for others.

My opinion is that yes, they are nerds/geeks/dorks/whatever, but they are of the most extreme end of it. Like, these are the kids the dorky Dungeon and Dragons players deemed too dorky to play with.

Also, whether they are creepy/weird/whatever has nothing to do with the fact it is just downright crazy to wear a fur-suit in Pittsburgh in June. Are they impervious to the heat & humidity?

5. Christina
    June 30, 2008 11:22 am

First of all, I see nothing wrong with the Furries and whatever they want to do with their lives. If they want to rub up on each other and skip around downtown holding hands, so be it. Yeah, it’s weird. Whatever. It’s not bothering me.

Brett, I think there can be loud and annoying people that are Furries, too. I know many people who ride motorcycles and are tattooed and tough-looking, but are the nicest people in the world. For as much as other people are stereotyping the furries, you’re stereotyping those who would attend a motorcycle convention, too.

6. Brett
    June 30, 2008 11:37 am

Christina–I wasn’t talking about the people, I was talking about the motorcycles!!

7. Brian
    June 30, 2008 11:41 am

1. Aren’t drugs fucking awesome?

2. My Furries name is going to be Mike Whiskeysan Smeeplewolf.

8. Mrs Pitsberger
    June 30, 2008 11:41 am

I cannot believe I’m about to say this, but “Chippenbull” is kind of hot. From neck to ankles, anyway.

9. john
    June 30, 2008 11:48 am

In the Chippenbull picture…I like the lady with her ears on..looks like she is saying.. “look at that idiot dressed up like a bull who is he kidding?!”

10. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 30, 2008 11:48 am

I think that is Jeff. It wouldn’t surprise me.

11. Not a Minion
    June 30, 2008 12:11 pm

To all the PC people trying to make those of us that openly think the furries are weird feel bad…just stop. You know you’re really thinking the furries are weird, too.

12. Chelly
    June 30, 2008 12:11 pm

that dominatrix/waiter penguin scares me a bit…and call me a purist, but shouldn’t furries be…well, furry???

13. dwight
    June 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Heheh. Too funny! PG, I love you making fun of the furries. And I’d even support you making fun of me because I don’t think I would be completely opposed grabbing that bull by the horn. Ha.

14. babyhead
    June 30, 2008 12:17 pm

$3 million economic impact for Pittsburgh. Come back every year, furries!

15. Kelli
    June 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Nah, the bull can’t be Jeff. Jeff isn’t in that good of shape.

Well, I never really looked closely, but if his body takes half the abuse I have heard he’s given it, it can’t possibly be that well-maintained.

16. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Good point Kelli.

17. In Sewickley
    June 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I’d love to see a Furry in Sewickley and then kick them.

18. lil librarian
    June 30, 2008 1:26 pm

I was eating breakfast at the Steel City Diner Friday morning, and the place was chock-full of Furries. Obviously they must get quite a bit of business from the Furry ones because the staff was wearing specially printed “It’s a Jungle Out There – Anthrocon 2008” t-shirts, with their Steel City Diner logo on the back. But perhaps the most disturbing thing was the Furry family sitting next to us. Mom, Dad and 2 kids about middle-school age–all kitted out in furry ears and tails. Yes, yes, Furries are adults entitled to their own hairball-inducing fun, but sheesh, give your poor kids (or kits? cubs?) a chance already.

19. Your right to be a freak, my right to make fun of you for it.
    June 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Or it can become a passive-aggressive enforced lovefest where no one is allowed to criticize anything constructively, leading to stagnation. I’m not sure where the furries land on that spectrum, but an “Everything Is Always OK” mantra can backfire.

A little naysaying keeps one grounded. It’s not always “fursecution”, as they say oh so dramatically – usually it’s just a reality check.

20. Bram R
    June 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Any large group with disposable income who has committed to coming to Pittsburgh annually for the next eight years is good. Good, I tell you! Next year, Our Mayor should issue a proclamation declaring city’s name be changed to Fuzzy Wuzzlebalitzburgh for the duration.

21. john
    June 30, 2008 2:16 pm

I heard that the sale of hairball remedy locally was way up !

22. retiredguy
    June 30, 2008 2:43 pm

OK, they’re good for the economy, but face it, these folks are pervs.

1. All the hotel rooms will have to be steam cleaned.

2. Many of these folks will be making trips to their veterinarians for shots and ointments.

Personally, I don’t care if they want to dress up like childish pervs and play their childish perv games. What bugs me is jagoffs from california trying to tell me that this isn’t weird. No, not compared to california, the capital of weird perversions.

23. jessie711
    June 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Amen retiredguy!!

24. Still A. Fan
    June 30, 2008 9:06 pm

the only thing worse than a furry, is a furry from CA wearing his sandals and crunching on his granola.

a new slogan for the city should be:

Pittsburgh…..we’re not San Francisco!

25. Shibori
    June 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Come on, Pittgirl, show us the picture of you in your pigeon costume at the convention!

As for picture #2, since when does latex qualify as “furry”?

26. dwight
    June 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Well, retiredguy, I wish non-furry occupied hotel rooms were steam cleaned as well. Then Dateline wouldn’t have anything to show under a black light or microscope. Yeah, let’s bash Cali. They’re just more open about their proclivities whereas here we let all the kinky crap we’re into remain behind close doors more often. I smell hypocrites. Just calling ’em how I see ’em. Just like some of you are with the furries.

27. Mocking The Mockers
    July 1, 2008 2:47 am

The Brewers mocked furries when they shared a hotel last year.

The Brewers went on to have a 13-game losing streak.

This is because only losers mock furries.

28. retiredguy
    July 1, 2008 6:58 am

dwight, I’m happy with people keeping their kink behind closed doors. Nothing hypocritical about that. And I’ll agree with you about hotel rooms.

29. Eric W
    July 1, 2008 9:24 am

“we let all the kinky crap we’re into remain behind close doors more often”

Good. Let’s keep it there.

30. Sofa King
    July 1, 2008 11:27 am

While they are quite unusual, the furries are harmless, contribute to the economy, and add character to the city. I’d say let them come out every year and do their thing.

Btw, sweet camel-toe, err…mammal toe, on the “fox” in #2.

31. PittGirlFan
    July 2, 2008 10:34 am

Well, they are a little less weird than these guys…

Hazmat Suit Fetishists International