- July 7, 2008
- filed under David Conrad, Downtown happenings, Eye rolls, Hot Burghers, Local media, Penguins, Sonni Abatta, The Damn Pigeons
1. 1,945 posts. 19,480 comments. 1,362,916 tracked hits. 911,258 visitors. One lunch with David Conrad. Three self-united husbands. Six times I almost quit.
Today is the third anniversary of my blog.
So whereas last year it began throwing temper tantrums, holding its breath, and generally not behaving in public like it should, I’m looking forward to leaving the Terrible Twos behind and I’m looking forward to the coming year — the year when it will probably shove a marble so far up its nostril that I’ll need to take it to the emergency room.
2. Reader Annette said her stepson Bobby had a gift for me:
I’m just going to assume that in honor of PittGirl, Bobby then ripped its effin’ head off.
3. Sonni Abatta. Valerie Abati. Market Square.
As we began to finish, Sonni decided she would feed the pigeons her crumbs. As the crumbs scattered around our table, it was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘The Birds.’ They all flew in, turning day to night.
Seriously, Sonni. Have you not read a word I’ve written in three years?
4. The New York Times writes what you already know about the Burgh:
This city of 89 distinct neighborhoods is a cool and — dare I say, hip—city. There are great restaurants, excellent shopping, breakthrough galleries and prestigious museums. The convergence of three rivers and surrounding green hills also make it a surprisingly pretty urban setting. And if the Pirates are in town, head over to PNC Park. Besides the game, the ballpark offers a great excuse to explore downtown Pittsburgh and the river views.
I don’t know about you, but I want to stand up and give that writer a round of applause for not using the word “confluence.”
(h/t Honda Driver, Jill, and In Sewickley)
5. The Burgher gives some love to the Pens new lineman Janne Pesonen and writes:
Apparently this song is called “Pelimies” (Player). The arena must play this song everytime Pesonen scores. Can someone make this happen? (Pittgirl?)
Like I have any power over anything whatsoever. If I did, would Sonni Abatta still be feeding the frickin’ pigeons!?
6. Speaking of the damn pigeons, reader Brenda from up in Canada wrote to tell me she found this little blurb in the Toronto Star yesterday about a failed pigeon meat venture:
30,000 pigeons gassed after failed meat venture
It’s estimated breeders have killed 30,000 pigeons following the collapse of the controversial Pigeon King meat venture. The pigeons were gassed last weekend near Teviotdale, north of Waterloo Region, said Darren Grandel, an SPCA investigator. Breeders with 11 more barns of pigeons meant for the operation don’t know what to do with their birds, Grandel said.
Pigeon meat didn’t sell like hotcakes!? Shocker.
Also, do you think they’re selling tickets to come and watch the other 11 barns of pigeons get gassed?
I’ll bring the popcorn.
7. Reader Magnus Patris sent a photo from the Outer Banks:
Because nothing says “Happy Birthday America” like Bikini Cole Slaw Wrestling.
God bless America and the girls willing to wrestle in some wet cabbage.