Random n’at.

1. 1,945 posts.  19,480 comments.  1,362,916 tracked hits.  911,258 visitors.  One lunch with David Conrad.  Three self-united husbands.  Six times I almost quit.

Today is the third anniversary of my blog.

So whereas last year it began throwing temper tantrums, holding its breath, and generally not behaving in public like it should, I’m looking forward to leaving the Terrible Twos behind and I’m looking forward to the coming year — the year when it will probably shove a marble so far up its nostril that I’ll need to take it to the emergency room.

Kids.

2.  Reader Annette said her stepson Bobby had a gift for me:

I’m just going to assume that in honor of PittGirl, Bobby then ripped its effin’ head off.

3.  Sonni Abatta.  Valerie Abati.  Market Square.

As we began to finish, Sonni decided she would feed the pigeons her crumbs.  As the crumbs scattered around our table, it was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘The Birds.’  They all flew in, turning day to night.

Seriously, Sonni.  Have you not read a word I’ve written in three years?

(h/t Bill)

4.  The New York Times writes what you already know about the Burgh:

This city of 89 distinct neighborhoods is a cool and — dare I say, hip—city. There are great restaurants, excellent shopping, breakthrough galleries and prestigious museums. The convergence of three rivers and surrounding green hills also make it a surprisingly pretty urban setting. And if the Pirates are in town, head over to PNC Park. Besides the game, the ballpark offers a great excuse to explore downtown Pittsburgh and the river views.

I don’t know about you, but I want to stand up and give that writer a round of applause for not using the word “confluence.”

(h/t Honda Driver, Jill, and In Sewickley)

5.  The Burgher gives some love to the Pens new lineman Janne Pesonen and writes:

Apparently this song is called “Pelimies” (Player). The arena must play this song everytime Pesonen scores. Can someone make this happen? (Pittgirl?)

Like I have any power over anything whatsoever.  If I did, would Sonni Abatta still be feeding the frickin’ pigeons!?

6.  Speaking of the damn pigeons, reader Brenda from up in Canada wrote to tell me she found this little blurb in the Toronto Star yesterday about a failed pigeon meat venture:

30,000 pigeons gassed after failed meat venture

It’s estimated breeders have killed 30,000 pigeons following the collapse of the controversial Pigeon King meat venture.  The pigeons were gassed last weekend near Teviotdale, north of Waterloo Region, said Darren Grandel, an SPCA investigator.  Breeders with 11 more barns of pigeons meant for the operation don’t know what to do with their birds, Grandel said.

Pigeon meat didn’t sell like hotcakes!?  Shocker.

Also, do you think they’re selling tickets to come and watch the other 11 barns of pigeons get gassed?

I’ll bring the popcorn.

7.   Reader Magnus Patris sent a photo from the Outer Banks:

He wrote:

Because nothing says “Happy Birthday America” like Bikini Cole Slaw Wrestling.

God bless America and the girls willing to wrestle in some wet cabbage.

1. McSmooth
    July 7, 2008 11:07 am

“Sonni Abatta”, “Valerie Abatti”, and “Bikini Cole Slaw Wrestling” in one post.

That should make for some interesting Google results.

July 7, 2008 11:13 am

#1: happy anniversary, PG! I’m sad that I only caught onto you and your musings on pigeons, self-uniting n’such last year — spoon was holding out on me.

#3: sonni and val feeding the market square pigeons = NOT hot.

visions of sonni and val running “baywatch”-style going back to get that purse = HAWT.

#4: great review of our fair city.

when I lived in other cities and told people that I was originally from pittsburgh, their immediate reaction 99.999% of the time would be…

“oooooooh, that old, SMOKY city?”

“well, yeah — 60 years ago! we’ve cleaned up, put in a nice big fountain along with some decent museums, stadiums, a cool looking convention center that falls apart every now and then…..”

#7: “bikini cole slaw wrestling”. why doesn’t PUMP use that theme for their “stay and play fridays” down at market square? we could get sonni, val, alimo, trishapitt, ruth ann dailey…..

July 7, 2008 11:18 am

Age and treachery always overcome youth and skill.

Congrats, old-timer!

Hugs,

bucdaddy

4. zonie
    July 7, 2008 11:33 am

Bikini cole slaw wrestling?! Ha! The Duke would SO be there.

5. spoon
    July 7, 2008 11:50 am

Happy Blog Birthday PG! I’d buy you a cake but don’t know where to send it. I’d buy you a drink buy it’ll be a cold day in hell before Harry Flugelman buys a Zima. So happy anniversary and ummm yeah.

unsatisfied, I had to make sure you were worthy of the knowledge :)

6. NY Luvs Pitts
    July 7, 2008 12:25 pm

Happy Anniversary, PG. ;)

7. Woy
    July 7, 2008 12:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! I’m really glad you stuck around.

8. DeutschtownFrau
    July 7, 2008 1:28 pm

Since you write Pittsburgh’s awesomest blog, both Herr and Frau at our Haus are glad you persevered. But now I’m curious — what were the (six?) reasons for nearly quitting?

9. Izzy
    July 7, 2008 1:46 pm

DeutschtownFrau…..I was JUST going to ask.

Happy Blog Birthday, PG! You crack me UP!!

10. pittgirl
    July 7, 2008 2:02 pm

Oh, not one or six things in particular. Just six times where I considered maybe the blog had run its life out and it was time to move on to other things.

11. TBD
    July 7, 2008 2:15 pm

Congrats PG! Thanks for making rainy days and Mondays in the ‘burg a bit more pleasant and humorous!

#4 Great article in the Times. We have many out of town visitors here for work and they are always amazed and impressed that the city isn’t anything like they were expecting. The pouring of steel shots from all the Stiller and other major sporting event don’t help to loose the perception. Sigh.

#7 BBQ and coleslaw wrestling. Classy. I’ll keep my slaw where god intended… right w/ the meat and fries ON the sammich ;^)

July 7, 2008 2:22 pm

PG, If you do ever decide to hang it up (here’s hoping not, but …), please go out with a party so we can finally meet the face behind the place. I seriously doubt you’d have to lift a finger or pay for a drink.

13. Marcy
    July 7, 2008 2:45 pm

Happy Blogiversary, and thanks for all the laughs!

14. Ant Annie
    July 7, 2008 3:10 pm

Happy Anniversary, PittGirl!! I love your take on the Burgh. I’ve learned a lot about the area from reading your stuff. Thanks for hanging in there.

Ant Annie

15. PittinDC
    July 7, 2008 3:18 pm

Happy Blog Birthday, PittGirl! Thanks so much from bringing us enjoyment everyday.

I’m totally adding that Times article to my wedding invitations. If I hear one more person complain about having to go allll the way to Pittsburgh (the whole 4 hours away from DC that it is) where there’s NOTHING TO DO, I’m going to scream.

16. Magnus Patris
    July 7, 2008 4:00 pm

Happy Blog Birfday, PG! And, no my wife did not allow me to attend Bikini Cole Slaw Wrestling. I think we need to start Bikini Pierogie Wrestling here in the ‘Burgh. First round; PittGirl vs. Sonni. For the ladies Ken Rice vs. Marty Griffin.

17. Susan
    July 7, 2008 4:06 pm

PG you really should Tivo The Verminators on Discovery channel–

I’ve only seen parts of 2 episodes, and both included dealing with pigeon infestations….

18. PittCheMBA
    July 7, 2008 5:46 pm

PittGirl, Happy 3rd Anniversary/Birthday!

19. Burgh Baby
    July 7, 2008 10:59 pm

Happy Anniversary! You rock just as much today as you did when you’re wee blog was born.

20. rose