Oh, LaMont.

Do you know how much I wish I could bike to work?  The thought of just hopping on a two-wheeled non-gasoline powered conveyance and getting my butt to the office through the pumping of my own two legs absolutely thrills me.  It’s like giving the oil companies the finger with the added bonus of exercise.

LaMont, our most favorite fashion editor ever, has a piece in today’s PG about the fashion dilemma that faces those bike commuters.  He talks about a few ladies that shower when they get to work and then either carry their clothes on their bikes or leave clothes at the office to change into.

And he talks about this guy that works downtown at Verizon.  Here he is in his biking gear, arriving at work, looking very Lance Armstrong-y, ready to take on the day and overcharge customers in grotesque fashion (well, at least that’s MY experience with Verizon).

Solid.  Then LaMont tells us:

And after a quick change from his biking gear to business casual, Mr. Plowman is ready for another day of work at Verizon.

Let’s take a look at his business casual wear:

Ta-daaaaaaaa!

I’m sorry.  Was that day Barbecue in Your Cubicle Day at Verizon?  Or maybe it was Steve Irwin Appreciation Day?

I’m just sayin’.  You know that LaMont Jones, he of the dapper hats and spats, is coming to your office to do a story about your after-biking fashion choices and that was the best you could do?

This is LaMont Jones, we’re talking about.  The fashion icon.

F for effort.

1. deebee
    July 14, 2008 9:16 am

I think I liked the bike out fit better,but wait Verizon has a local office?? Stupid question but what do they do there?

2. pam
    July 14, 2008 9:29 am

This reminds me of the one day Jim biked to work at the Office, he said with hair plastered to brow, “Now I know biking to work makes me sweaty”

if only we had the luxury of showers at work!

3. Sooska
    July 14, 2008 9:32 am

Makes me wonder what the definition of “fashion” and “business casual” really are in Pittsburgh. I have been invited to wedding receptions where “business casual” was the desired dress. Does that mean white socks with beat up shoes, shorts and an advertising tee shirt? and no shower?

4. Burgh Baby
    July 14, 2008 9:41 am

Now that I see that “business casual” means something entirely different to Verizon employees than it does to me, now I understand how it is that we constantly have issues surrounding what “customer service” means. As a matter of fact, “customer service” is pretty much as sloppy as “business casual” in Verizon-speak.

5. Jeff Reed’s puke
    July 14, 2008 9:41 am

when my gfriend and I walked to the succos/hated yanks game last thu night from the downtown parking garage over towards the clemente bridge, we noticed a dude biking from work (presumably) to home (presumably) — IN HIS FULL SUIT.

wonder what lamont would say about that….

July 14, 2008 9:43 am

well, now I’m “outed” as the one who posted the oh-so-brilliant-and-hysterical “Jeff Reed’s Puke” post last fri.

I’m superbad at changing identities……

7. beaner
    July 14, 2008 9:43 am

I’ll cut him some slack since he wasn’t wearing a tank top/biker tee/black socks/gym shorts. But he really needs to scrunch them socks down. P-girl, hope you’re feeling better.

8. pittgirl
    July 14, 2008 9:46 am

Unsatisfied, I’d liked to request that you always go by “Jeff Reed’s Puke” because that comment you posted last Friday was the one that made me laugh despite the fact that I was surely dying.

beaner, I am feeling better. Every day a little better. Thanks!

9. Ginny
    July 14, 2008 9:52 am

That “business casual” outfit is along the lines of what the guys painting the house next door are wearing. I realize Pittsburgh isn’t exactly on the cutting edge of fashion, but come on. At least wear a collared shirt and get some shoes to wear at the office that don’t look like Jeff Reed’s puke.

10. chrys
    July 14, 2008 9:59 am

That is not business casual.. that is Sunday afternoon getting ready to cut the grass casual. My hubby gets to wear business casual.. I think he would be fired if he showed up for work like that.

As for Verizon.. they suck. I, too am wondering what they do at the office.. I am pretty sure it isn’t anything useful.

11. maxtalbot
    July 14, 2008 10:00 am

I am quite certain that Lamont studied fashion at the Light of Life Homeless shelter on the Northside.

I looked way better than that guy when I was cleaning my basement a few weeks ago. I frequently bike to work and there is no excuse for Mr. Verizon’s sartorial choices.

12. Stephanique1
    July 14, 2008 10:14 am

I’m pretty sure that tool in the picture is the same one who wrote to Cat for advice (2nd letter) last week:

13. KGC
    July 14, 2008 10:19 am

Burgh Baby…

That’s Church.

14. DW
    July 14, 2008 10:25 am

Dude looked more “business casual” in his biking outfit!

15. Christina
    July 14, 2008 10:27 am

Everytime I read the “fashion” column for the PG, the thought, “Who is LaMont f*k*ng at the Post Gazette to keep that job?” crosses my mind every single time.

A lot of men around here (and not all men) are completely clueless about how to dress and we don’t need someone telling them it’s okay to wear some wrinkled cargo shorts and a 5-year-old oversized t-shirt to work everyday.

He looks like a slob! There’s no way that’s business casual.

16. spoon
    July 14, 2008 10:31 am

Now that man is stylin. Honestly it’s not uncommon where I work for someone to come in wearing a steelers jersey, shorts and sandals. When I feel like being spiffy it’s a dress shirts and jeans but for the most part, like today, it’s a tshirt, shorts and sandals.

One of the few dot com perks we have left.

17. emstef23
    July 14, 2008 10:44 am

Wow – if that’s business casual, I’d hate to see what casual Friday’s look like at Verizon!!

On a side note – am I the only person who, when i call Verizon, gets good customer service? Seriously? Whenever I call for my cell phone (and maybe THAT’s the difference?) I always get the nicest, sweetest people. Like the one time I called about getting a new phone WAY before I was eligible for my new every two years – and the girl just changed my “effective” date just so that I could get a free phone. Hmmm….

18. 2Port
    July 14, 2008 10:49 am

What i like best about the BizCas was the white socks pulled up mid-calf and the shoes. Listen I am no fashion guru, I wear jeans and a polo everyday, and carry them in when I bike to work, 3-4 days a week. But I also wouldn’t let the PG do a photo essay on me either.

19. Brian
    July 14, 2008 11:40 am

LaMont helps Pittsburgh get dorkier every day, and really, the folks around here don’t need much help in that regard. His pieces make this place look more backwater, second-rate clueless because this idiot is writing about fashion. I think he must be the mastermind behind Target’s men’s clothing section, where fasion and your reputation go to be strangled behind the cut-out rack of David Bowie-endorsed clothes.

20. scottie
    July 14, 2008 12:31 pm

I’d kiss a pigeon just to be able to dress like a total schlub to work!

21. Jeff Reed's Puke
    July 14, 2008 2:46 pm

hey — what PG wants, PG gets — “Jeff Reed’s Puke”, it is — tho, I’m not sure that I like it yet….

22. The Dude
    July 14, 2008 3:02 pm

How I’d wish someone would claim the land (under the Trail Act) used by the Jail Trail and put a commuter train in again so there would not be any more fashion disasters like that. I used to love whizzing by the people stuck on the parkway while riding the PaTrain. If gas prices keep climbing, who knows?

23. Kat
    July 14, 2008 4:18 pm

That’s not Business Casual. That’s not even Casual Casual. It’s probably a good rule of thumb to never ever wear shorts to work, unless you work at the zoo. And maybe not even then.

24. Magnus Patris
    July 14, 2008 4:33 pm

The dude’s outfit was on sale at Aldi’s last week for $6.99; shoes $0.99 more.

25. steevo
    July 14, 2008 7:23 pm

This is such an American thing.
    Americans feel they need to have “active wear” on to
    exercise. Actually americans seem to love wearing
    active wear while not even exercising. Its annoying.

I cycled around Europe for a few months, and never felt
    so super high tech with spandex and whatnot on while
    literally thousands of people commuted around me while
    wearing skirts and slacks.

whatever.

July 14, 2008 8:03 pm

He belongs on the cover of the Dilbert book “Casual Friday has Gone Too Far.”

27. Andrea
    July 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Dude, that’s what he looks like? And dresses? Seriously?

28. Still A. Fan
    July 14, 2008 10:19 pm

nice socks a-hole.

that is not “business casual”. that is “yard work”.

29. brooke
    July 15, 2008 7:40 am

oh steevo thank you, thank you for pointing out how american “active wear” is, and how wrong americans must be to wear it. we all know that spending a few months in europe somehow endows someone with superiority and sophistication unfounded in america.

this has always been a irritation of mine, because every country has ignorant, racist, close minded people, and a government that at one time or another was a travesty. just because they dress nicer does not necessarily make them more intelligent or informed.

and europeans certainly do wear “active wear” to exercise. commuters, well perhaps they prefer to sweat in their work clothes. or maybe since they are superior, they do not need to sweat?

30. steevo
    July 15, 2008 9:45 am

I have spent more than “a few months” there. I spent a
    few months “cycling across” Europe.

Im just saying, go to the netherlands and look at the commuters. There are things in this article that a quick observation would address. Things like “getting grease on your work clothes…” etc. You can go to any bike shop around there and find commuter bikes with full enclosed chains. It is practical and simple, and sometimes simple is harder, such as with clothing.

31. Mitch Cumstein
    July 16, 2008 10:45 pm

I don’t think her point was exactly how months months you spent there, but more that she was annoyed that you were being pompous. Who gives a piss what Europeans or Americans wear when being active and whether Europeans are superior cause they ride bikes wearing slacks?

32. steevo
    July 17, 2008 8:58 am

where did I saw superior?

Im saying that anything that hinders people from commuting to work by bicycle is a bad thing. In “other places” people dont feel the need to buy 200 dollars worth of clothing to cycle 5 miles. For some reason we Americans do. I dont think this is pompous.

Who gives a piss? ummmm isnt this article strictly about the fasion of commuting by bicycle, or did you miss that part of the entire article?