Random n’at.

1. On Saturday, my Mother picked me up to take me to my sister’s house because due to this eye infection, I cannot drive. After we hung out at Pens Fan’s house for a bit, we hopped in my car so she could drop me off at home, but instead she says, “Let me take you to my house first. You must meet our new coffee maker. You are going to DIE!”

“I’m in no condition to be meeting new appliances. What’s so great about it? Does it send 20,000 volts to the nipples of Marian Hossa every time you brew with it?”

“You are going to LOVE IT! Just wait.”

Burghers, I want to self-unite with this coffee machine, I love it so much.

You take one of the little tiny containers and you pop it in, pull down the handle, put your mug underneath, push the button, give it six seconds and BAM! DELICIOUS FRESHLY-BREWED NO WAIT COFFEE!

I hate my coffee maker now. It’s so inferior. I swear it buys its clothes at Aldi’s.

2. A conversation with my BIL:

BIL: [showing me a pocket-sized Steelers 2008 schedule] PittGirl. Look at this … [points to the first game against Houston] Win …

PG: Oh, I’m not listening to you tell me that we’re going to win all of our games.

BIL: PittGirl. Look at this. [points again] Win. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss. You guys are screwed.

PG: Wait. “You guys”?

BIL: I’m a Raiders fan.

PG: For the past two years you’ve been a Steelers fan, too. One year of babymama beating, Jeff Reed being Jeff Reed, giant penises in the shower, and a general inching down on the character chart and you turn your back on us. For shame, BIL. For shame.

3. Dejan graded the Buccos in his midterm report card. Of note, Dougy got a B, but got an A+ on the “intangibles”. Freddy Sanchez got a D-. Ooooohh. Harsh, Dejan!

4. Oh, John McCain.

McCain recently told a local television reporter that as a prisoner of war in Vietnam he recited the Steelers’ defensive line when pressured to name the men in his squadron.

In his autobiography “Faith of My Fathers,” the Arizona senator claimed he gave the names of the Green Bay Packers’ offensive line.

What he MEANT to say was, “I recited the starting line up of the NLF team of whatever city I am currently campaigning in, unless your city has no football team, in which case I recited the names of every soldier from your city, unless there were no soldiers from your city, in which case I recited the names of your streets in alphabetical order.”

5. The Cutting Edge column has shouted out to me several times in the past weeks and I haven’t shouted back. Just fixing that.

6. The Carbolic Smoke Ball is reborn and I LOVE IT!

7. Current word I’m sick of, replacing the word “green”. Veepstakes. Ugh.

8. I’m on Plurk now. In case you are, too.

1. SK
    July 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Ooh, I love my Keurig. The only problem being that each little pack of coffee cups costs $10. But for delivering an easy and delicious jolt of caffeine on bleary-eyed mornings, I suck it up and pay.

2. Michelle
    July 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Oh, Pittgirl! Don’t hate your coffee maker! It loves you and gives you wonderful caffeine. PLUS, I’m sure it’s much more sustainable than your Mom’s. Those single-serve packets create a lot of waste.

Yeah, I’m a little crunchy. I know.

3. Bram R
    July 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Your karma at Plurk is currently 14.27. That strikes me as way too low a reading.

What the hell is PLURK???

4. Michael
    July 14, 2008 12:36 pm

I’m with Bram, What the hell is Plurk. I even looked and I thought. . .”it’s like Outlook on crack.” I’m old, 33, stop forcing me to interact with all this new fangled technology you 31 year olds use. Plurk, Twitter, Facebook whats next??????

I highly recommend the Tassimo. Same general idea as the Keurig but it also makes Cappuccino’s. And in comparison to a Starbuck’s run the pods are cheap. Though Starbuck’s ahs the advantage of getting me out of my office, a worthwhile goal if ever there was one.

5. Bulldog
    July 14, 2008 12:46 pm

I’ll second the Tassimo for the same reason. Cappuccino’s. Starbucks pods, Maxwell House, Seattle’s Best, a wonderful range to choose from. My Tassimo is 2 1/2 years old and I absolutely love it. No more wasted pots of coffee, ever.

6. Megan
    July 14, 2008 1:36 pm

You should try the Senseo machine – you can get one for ‘free’ (after paying $15 shipping & handling): https://www.sharesenseo.com.

We really enjoy ours, cuz my husband and I drink diff flavors/strengths, and we don’t have to make a whole pot.

7. JP
    July 14, 2008 2:13 pm

@Michael: you think you are old? PPods? What are those? this is how we roll in my family just like my Nonna. Still makes un caffe corretto

8. Michael
    July 14, 2008 2:28 pm

JP, I grew up drinking my Nana’s percolator coffee, Maxwell House that sat on the stove all day. I thought that was coffee. Then I dated a woman whose family roasted their own beans and ran a chain of coffeeshops. It was learn what about french press, vacume drip and growning regions or loose the girl. Still lost the girl, lucky for me given my wife, but I now have a french press and a tassimo in my office and I grind my own beans. Dunkin’s beans for every day use, that should make PG smile.

I didn’t think you could buy grappa in PA? Have I been gone too long?

9. rudy
    July 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I started with the Senseo, which I really loved. Except I seemed to never be able to find those little coffee pod things for it (at least not at the Giant Eagles I shopped at.) But I loved the whole single-shot, one cup coffee making experience. So I broke down and bought myself a Tassimo, which I also really love. Overall, I like the Tassimo slightly better because there’s more choices of pods that you can get for it (espresso, tea, hot chocolate.)

10. JP
    July 14, 2008 2:32 pm

11. Right Wing Nutjob
    July 14, 2008 2:37 pm

So is everyone just posting their favorite single serve coffeemaker? If price is no object, you should go with a Clover: http://cloverequipment.com/Home/Default2.aspx

12. Jeff Reed's Puke (aka unsatisfied)
    July 14, 2008 3:00 pm

dejan = best writer at the PG.

hands.

down.

sorry, lamont.

13. Monty
    July 14, 2008 3:21 pm

NLF? You think he’s so old he doesn’t even know what it’s called? Goddamn this leftwing blog.

14. Burghthing
    July 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Grappa?! Ug, horrible memories of a wonderful night in Aviano, followed by a day that would make PG’s latest illness feel like a mild head cold.

So, where can I get some more?

15. Bram R
    July 14, 2008 4:19 pm

“absolutely go to Prima in the strip on a cold day order a single and just say “coretto” usually get a choice of sumbucca or grappa”

Oh my goodness. Can I just pretend it’s cold outside?

Dish gives good grappa if I remember.

16. Michael
    July 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Burghthing,

I’ll plug my former side of the state. A place called Mama Maria’s in Philly offers Grappa as part of their 7 course pre fix dinner. The 7th course is a cordials course with all you can drink homemade ‘chellos (I’ve had lemon, strawerry, blueberry and cream versions) ‘bucca, amaretto and Grappa.

So is it obvious I didn’t feel like working today?

17. Magnus Patris
    July 14, 2008 4:27 pm

We love our Keurig. Buy the K-cups on line. They’re cheaper and you get a great selection, plus they always throw in some “freebees” (different flavors, roasts, even tea and hot chocolate!). But our favorite is “Donut Shop Coffee”; tastes just like DD’s without the drive (but you lose your excuse to get some donuts).

18. Fraggle
    July 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Plurk actually came and went, it’s not that good and the fad lasted like a week. LOL

19. Caroline
    July 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Of course, if he’s an Oakland fan, that list of things should make him appreciate us more, not less. Zing!

20. Hoosierburgher
    July 14, 2008 10:04 pm

You can always get K-cups (and the Keurig) and the T-discs (and the Tassimo) even the Senseo or whatever it is at Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also use your coupons on all of it!!! We have lots of variety of the pods, and with your coupon, they’re only 8 bucks!!!

yeah, i work there, shamless plug what?

21. rickh
    July 15, 2008 9:05 am

Magnus is right, you can order the pods online or set up auto-delivery through greenmountaincoffee.com, much cheaper than the stores and with a great selection. I’ve had my Keurig for nearly three years and love it, hope PG Mom does too.

22. Marcy
    July 15, 2008 9:24 am

Oh I totally LOVE my Keurig. And I truly believe that it is saving me money because I am not tossing a half-drunk pot of coffee every day.

It’s also great for entertaining because everyone can have what they want (regular, decaf, flavored, tea, hot chocolate) and it’s fun to do so you’re not stuck in the kitchen getting everyone’s coffee–they want to do it themselves. You should SO treat yourself to one!!

23. Kelly
    July 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Honestly, get the Keurig K-Cups at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They ALWAYS have a nice variety and you can use the 20% off coupons they are always sending in the mail.

One of the reasons I LOVE the Keurig is that it does Coffee AND Teas, although the tea selection could be better…

24. deebee
    July 15, 2008 6:04 pm

megan…just got online for my “free” Senseo. Where is the best place to get the pods for it??