Ain’t nobody …

Did you guys hear about the fire hydrant incident in East Hills during which some kids opened a fire hydrant, watched it get closed up by security and police, reopened it, watched security, police, and the water company try to close it again, then started throwing stuff at the police resulting in pepper spray and tasing?

Witnesses told Channel 4 Action News that the situation escalated when the kids and the guards began arguing. Investigators said people began throwing rocks and someone assaulted a security guard.

Police were called to the scene as the security guards and a couple of teenagers continued to exchange words. Security guards sprayed the crowd with pepper spray, police said.

“I had tossed water on him and he grabbed my arm,” said Nadon Estes.

He tossed water on the security guard?  And he’s upset his arm got grabbed?

More and more these days, I’m thinking we need a course in the public school system called “DO WHAT THE DAMN COPS TELL YOU TO DO OR GET WHAT’S COMING TO YOU!”

Cops close the hydrant, you leave.

Cops tell you to leave the hydrant closed, you do it.

You choose to reopen it.  You choose to throw water and bricks and punches.  You get what’s coming to you.  This is 2+2 basic, so forgive me for being confused as to why people get all bent out of shape when this entire incident would have been avoided had the crowd done what they were told to do.

“It’s scary because we got the cops to protect us and they’re against us,” said Chemere Estes, a witness. “Ain’t nobody going to swing and punch at no police. We’re not stupid. They try and make it out like we’re animals. Ain’t nobody doing anything.”

You know, I can’t take you seriously when you don’t have a basic grasp of grammar.  But besides that:

The guards then identified the juvenile, who allegedly resisted arrest and was egged on by the crowd. Some in the crowd jumped on officers’ backs, kicking and punching them during the scuffle, Chief Donaldson said.

Yeah, ain’t nobody doing anything.

1. Sooska
    July 29, 2008 8:56 am

Pittgirl- I am wondering about the grammar. “Ain’t nobody doin nothing” is proper if you consider the double negative. Is the proper form “ain’t nobody doing nothing,” the triple negative? It flows a little better I think.

2. Lyon Advocate
    July 29, 2008 9:00 am

But what about using the taser on the grandmother? I’m not saying that the kids did nothing wrong – they clearly did – but the police tased a grandmother! They were not without fault here.

3. pittgirl
    July 29, 2008 9:03 am

Lyon,

Read the news reports. Police say they didn’t tase her. Even she says she’s not sure she was tased. She said she fell and blacked out and doesn’t know what it feels like to be tased. She said a cop tried to help her up.

I don’t think a person gets tased and isn’t very aware that they got tased.

4. Miss Lee
    July 29, 2008 9:16 am

In the woman’s own words:

“I don’t remember being Tased (sic). I remember being pushed by the security officer. I remember going down. I remember a Pittsburgh police officer trying to help me get up,” Whitehead told Action News.

5. Susan
    July 29, 2008 9:21 am

For some reason all I can picture reading this is the fire hydrant scene from “Do The Right Thing.” Good thing the kids didn’t mess with THOSE cops, or they’d have all ended up like Radio.

6. Monty
    July 29, 2008 9:24 am

Is there anything funnier than a neckbrace? They should call it an “Imabouttosueyou.”

7. pittgirl
    July 29, 2008 9:25 am

Oh, Monty. Thank you for saying what I was so hoping someone would say.

Kiss!

8. Al Luccioni
    July 29, 2008 9:27 am

Brillant what a profound statement

9. Egan
    July 29, 2008 9:41 am

I thought the exact same thing about the neck brace when I saw it.

This whole thing is just idiotic.

10. In Sewickley
    July 29, 2008 9:58 am

Channel 4’s report Sunday night sensationalized the story by saying that a “grandmother was tasered.”

So of course, since the statement was made and seemed to be accurate (there were no “allegedly” or “apparently”), people are only going to remember what they heard initially.

Ch. 4 even showed video! And highlighted it where they thought the grandma was tasered! HELLO!

*calms down*

11. emstef23
    July 29, 2008 10:02 am

And see Pittgirl – this post is EXACTLY why I love you – you say everything that I am generally thinking but can never form properly into words….you are so right – do what you are told and you won’t have to face the consequences….people are just plain stupid sometimes.

12. JMarz
    July 29, 2008 10:05 am

I agree we need to teach some respect. But no instead they end up on the news. make a big deal about it and in the end the city will be sued for money that it does not have. Which is why the pool was closed in the first place. The city does not have any money. I would ask where the parents are, but they are right in there as well causing a problem.

July 29, 2008 10:07 am

The police are usually in a bind in these situations because they’re generally told to use the minimum force necessary to try to break them up, because everybody’s afraid of lawsuits.

And I’m sure miscreants know this.

I think they should work from the opposite direction. If “shoot to kill” is the default mode and everybody knows it, there ought to be a lot fewer situations like this, right?

You’re welcome.

— Dirty Harrydaddy

14. Don't tase me brro
    July 29, 2008 10:15 am

Right, this old lady is surely lying because the police would never tase an elderly person, and if they did they would absolutely 100% admit to it. I think its strange that you have a hard time believing some kid (who was there) just because her grammar isn’t up to par, but the police say they did not do something and that is enough for you (even though, you weren’t there). The lady said she wasn’t sure, maybe there should be an investigation, but on the other hand, maybe her grammar is too poor to be taken seriously.

15. Monty
    July 29, 2008 10:16 am

Buc — Good post. Except the Dirty Harrydaddy part. That’s just gross. And awkward. Especially here.

16. Lyon Advocate
    July 29, 2008 10:48 am

If SHE says that they didn’t tase her, then I stand corrected. I was (perhaps stupidly) relying on news reports that I saw from the other night.

That said, how do you not know if you were tased?

17. Egan
    July 29, 2008 10:53 am

If you watch the video on KDKA, they point out that there were officers responding, and the crowd was estimated around 100 people. I can see where one would consider whipping out one’s taser.

It irritates me that coverage of this has undertones of racial or class discrimination. These people were not within their rights to use the hydrant to begin with, and instead of adopting an it-was-fun-while-it-lasted-but-now-we-got-caught attitude, these people exacerbated the situation with their behavior (of which someone in the crowd was kind enough to provide footage) and are now crying foul.

The thing that gets me the most is that there are REAL cases of injustice and discrimination happening every day, and this is the battle we’re fighting?

18. Ed Heath
    July 29, 2008 11:04 am

This reminds me of the one episode of that “Back to you” or “Over to you” .. that sitcom set in Pittsburgh about TV news. The one reporter “3Z’s” volunteered to be tased, and twitched for the rest of the episode (after being tased).
    I don’t know if it’s that bad, and I am not volunteering, but I suspect you would know if you were tased. Maybe not if you were unconscious, by why would anyone taser an unconscious woman (when there were lots of live targets of opportunity).

19. JP
    July 29, 2008 11:06 am

“People in the community believe the home video tells another story and also think that if the community swimming pool were open and if the children had somewhere to go the incident would not have happened”

No, I am not saying these kids were anywhere close to being in the right or justified, but come on. If we can spend a half billion to build a tunnel under the point, to cart people too out of shape or lazy to hoof the whole half a mile to some casino that may never even happen, don’t you think we could get the rest of these swinmming pools back open? Especially in a nieghborhood like East Hills.

20. Angie :-)
    July 29, 2008 11:25 am

OK. Say it with me everyone “People sometimes turn hydrants on to cool off, but Donaldson said they must be turned off to make sure there will be enough water pressure in case of a FIRE.” yes FIRE!!!

How much bitching would we hear if one of their homes burned down cause there wasn’t enough pressure since we didn’t shut the damn thing off- and by extenion “ruin” their fun.
    Get a $10 hose and a slipnslide. Oh thats right- you would have to actually pay for the water instead!

Amen Pittgirl!!

21. retiredguy
    July 29, 2008 12:09 pm

I know for a fact that “ain’t nobody going to swing and punch at no police”, is not a factual statement. Many, many people assault police officers all the time. In certain communities and in certain “clubs”, individuals are expected or even required to fight the police. To be arrested without a fight is to be considered a punk. I’ll leave the “We’re not stupid.” alone.

Ok, some people got peppered and somebody got tasered (although I really doubt granny got zapped). The pepper and taser are part of the continuum of force. Personally, I’d rather be peppered or tasered before getting smacked with a blackjack or nightstick.

22. Nel
    July 29, 2008 12:31 pm

The so called grandmother’s age was 52.
    Not 92 for cryin’ out loud.

23. Dan (Not Onarato)
    July 29, 2008 1:55 pm

good point Angie…God save em and the city if a fire broke out there and there wasnt enough pressure in the hoses to put the fire out.

Sweet Mary on the Mount would there have been big trouble in River City

24. ImJustSayin'
    July 29, 2008 2:34 pm

My understanding from law enforcement friends is that if one is tasered by a hand-held unit, there are distinctive marks at the point of contact on the taseree (if there is such a word). If it’s a pistol unit, the taseree has to have the barbs removed at the hospital or by paramedics. In other words, Granny would have known.

Otherwise, Don’t tase me brro, you are completely missing the point here. As PittGirl so eloquently stated, “Do what the damn cops tell you to do.” Grammar or not, the police NEVER should have had to go to the scene twice.

25. Don't tase me brro
    July 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Hey I’m not defending those kids, I live in the city (unlike most people on this board) stuff like this happens in my neighborhood all the time. I don’t condone it all. I just think it is not unreasonable to believe that the police would taser an old woman and just because they said they didn’t does not necessarily mean it didn’t happen. Plus discounting a person’s account of some event just because their command of English grammar is not up to your standards is a bit condescending. If that is truly the case, than you could discount 75% of people who comment on this board.

26. John
    July 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Don’t piss off the cops. Sounds like a pretty simple rule to live by, if you ask me.

27. Mitch Cumstein
    July 29, 2008 4:32 pm

This whole mentality kills me. We wanted something (a pool) and you took it away, so we’ll do what we want with whatever we want and God help if you if you try to stop us (uphold the law). We’ll just holler police brutality. Why do they have to have a pool in their neighborhood (there isn’t one in mine). Take a ride, there are plenty around.

As for grandma, as someone pointed out, she was 52. And she wasn’t Tasered – trust me she would know if she was. And do we really have to have 10,000 media stories every time someone gets Tasered. It’s not like the police shot someone. The police who Tase get Tased themselves. I just wish the police would have had one big giant Taser to get this whole unruly mob under control.

28. Matt H
    July 29, 2008 4:39 pm

“but the police tased a grandmother! They were not without fault here.”

No proof of that. I bet she fainted.

29. Matt H
    July 29, 2008 4:43 pm

“The lady said she wasn’t sure, maybe there should be an investigation, but on the other hand, maybe her grammar is too poor to be taken seriously.”

How don’t you know if you were hit by a police taser? There would more than likely be taser probe marks wherever she got hit by the taser. These are serious weapons that leave a mark. I doubt she got hit by one because she would remember if she did.

The whole Grandma angle is crazy. She isn’t some crippled up old lady on a porch. She is in her early 50’s.

The people who were opening the hydrant and combating with security & police were in the wrong.

30. PittCheMBA
    July 29, 2008 6:19 pm

I agree with Angie. For safety reasons, the fire hydrant should not be have been opened. What if there was a fire and no water pressure was there to fight the fire? Yes, it is hot and humid outside, but I would rather be uncomfortable than see my house burn down because there is no water.

31. Steeler_tom
    July 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Getting Tased is not unlike getting hit with a defibulator. I’m told afterwards, the skin all over your body is irriatated. Irritated to the point that it causes pain to just be touched. If you’ve been hit with the paddles, (and you are sucessfully resucitated) you won’t even know it, but yor skin will literally crawl and you’ll be hugely annoyed. Likewise if you’ve been tased, you’ll maybe not know it, But your skin will hurt everywhere, along with the uncontrolled muscle contractions that you can experiance for a short while too.
    Now,….. knowing this, if you’ve been tased,…. You’ll figure it out quickly because it usually doesn’t knock you out…. and you’ll be really annoyed when someone touches you. And you’ll have two tiny marks to boot.

Granny, (I’m 99% sure) was not tased
    The kids, need to be locked up for being stupid
    Nuff said!

32. Still A. Fan
    July 29, 2008 8:34 pm

goodness gravy DONTTASEMEBRO…..are you REALLY going to roll out the “and I live in the city, you don’t” battlecry? that is so weak when debating logic. it’s like when talking about a bad call or a non call after a stiller game and someone thinks they have a better perspective because they were at the game. us folks just don’t understand. WAH! when i was that age, if I was playing in the water and the cops came and shut it off, I would have never in a million years even considered turning it back on. it’s a complete and total lack of respect. yup, i can’t add a thing to that last statement.

33. Don't tase me brro
    July 29, 2008 9:09 pm

that is not a point of debate, if anything, it reinforces the point that I agree with police coming down on stuff like that. I am tired of that $hit as I deal with it a LOT more than somebody living in some gated community. I put up with it because I am more comfortable here than living in a strip mall. For the record I agree that police need to put the hammer down on stuff like that, I have no problem with that at all. What gets my goat are comments discounting somebody because their grammar is poor. Sorry that pisses me off.

34. jason
    July 29, 2008 9:10 pm

*rolls eyes*… urban blacks, what do you expect, handshakes and understanding?

35. PittGirl
    July 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Don’t tase me,

Maybe you should take the grammar comment for what it was … a JOKE, sir.

36. Pingback: Nobody Doin’ Nuthin’ at The Commissioner’s Corner