Random n’at

1.  I’m kind of ready for Fall.  Don’t throw things at me.  It’s just that yesterday I was getting caught up on So You Think You Can Dance (what?) and Kat Deely was wearing a long-sleeved black dress, and all I could think of was how excited I’ll be to pull out my black turtleneck sweaters and my do-me boots.

2.  I feel sorry for teenagers going back to school this Fall, because according to the Macy’s windows, their only options for dress are Jonas Brothers’ inspired skinny-legged tight-crotched jeans with rocker shirts and scarves, or gear pulled straight from the Camp Rock movie … i.e. skinny-legged, tight-crotched jeans with rocker shirts and scarves.

3.  Seeing this brought back memories of my strong desire to be Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink.  I wanted that big drawer full of odd costume jewelry, a closet full of vintage pink clothing, a little pink car, red hair, fair skin, an eccentric best friend and a hot rich boy with a crush on me.

Instead, I honestly can’t recall a single day in high school that I wore any jewelry other than my Snoopy watch (for real).  My standard mode of dress was jeans and whatever shirt was near the front of the closet.  I rode the bus.  My hair is brown.  My skin is not even a little bit fair.  My best friend was class valedictorian.  And the exchange student from Denmark had a crush on me.

4.  If you haven’t already, go check out the two episodes of Pittsburgh: The Turkish Television Series at T&A.  There’s even a “move forward” shout-out.  But you’re not allowed to drink.  That’s in violation of the rules.  Lushes.

5.  You may not drink at this either:

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said in a statement. “Working with the community and stakeholders to move projects such as the Oakhill and Arena developments forward is creating a natural economic development surge, attracting private investment into this historic neighborhood.”

You see how sneaky that was?  Putting more than five words in between the move and the forward?  Game on.

6.  Somebody on CraigsList missed me.

7.  Julie Bologna is back at WPXI and I’m being scolded for not talking about it, but here’s the thing, I’ve always been very meh about her.  I guess she deserves a second look and I promise to do that so that I can understand why boys are so in love with her.  More later on that.

8.  Lukey named the new team of workers in charge of cleaning up the business districts the Hokey Team and I want to find a hammer to bash my skull in.

Ugh.

July 30, 2008 9:34 am

Saucy, can you get us a shot of those boots? Preferably with the legs in ’em.

Thanks much.

2. Mark
    July 30, 2008 10:00 am

1) I love Cat Deeley. Why wasnt’ she nominated for an Emmy Award, but Howie Mandel was? She is the best presenter of a show ever.

2)You can’t tell kids apart these days (wholey crap I’m sounding old and I’m not even 30 yet) because they where the same things.

7) I missed Julie. Her and Tricia Pitman could be sisters.

3. Sofa King
    July 30, 2008 10:40 am

Until I read that it had something to do with a brand of street sweepers, I honestly thought that it had something to do with the Hokey Pokey. I thought maybe young Luke was saying that these patrols would help the neighborhoods turn themselves around…and that’s what it’s all about.

I done think I woke up on the retarded side of the bed this morning.

4. Big Mike
    July 30, 2008 11:14 am

I’ll have to attest to the stupid tight legged jeans thing that the kids are all wearing these days. Because of playing hockey, I have a hard time with finding jeans that fit me comfortably. I used to buy the carpenter jeans from the Gap, but they went all, well, whatever you want to call that look. I’ve still not been able to find jeans that I’m able to get my keys out of my pockets easily in.

I hate fashion.

5. unsatisfied (no longer Jeff Reed's Puke)
    July 30, 2008 11:16 am

7. yes, that was me, scolding you, PG. bad PG — bad, bad!!

hey, you can have wendy bell — I can have julie. in fact, julie goes back to the top of my list ahead of sonni (sorry, honni). and, julie knows her weather stuff — which makes her that much hotter.

actually, the “girls don’t get why guys think julie bologna’s hot” thing might be legit. none of the females in my neighborhood understood the attraction to her — but, trust me, their husbands and boyfriends do.

if ‘pxi is smart (hmmm), they’ll put her back on the morning news so she can tag team with trishapitt.

also saw in my “back from vacation catch-up” that valerie abati got dumped for dennis bowman. val — you’re a nice girl, but you didn’t really fit with the kd morning crew. the helmet hair and the pantsuits don’t work — just ask hillary c.

6. DeutschtownFrau
    July 30, 2008 11:32 am

4. Those Turkish soap spoofs of Pgh politics — besides this blog, best stuff I’ve seen in a long time. Older video even better than “I’m redding up, bitch.”

“Grandiloquent.” Brilliant!

Thanks for the link, PG.

7. retiredguy
    July 30, 2008 11:42 am

I alway liked Julie Bolgna, but I really like Tricia. My wife always says “you’re girlfriend is on”. You can have all the blondies, gimme a dark haired girl any day.

8. dayafternext
    July 30, 2008 11:59 am

2. So I guess fashion runs in about ten year cycles. I remember in ’98 the waist of one’s jeans was to be worn just above mid-thigh. Ahh, memories.

4. Oh wow – “I’m redding up, bitch” is so good. I’m so using that one.

7. Though Julie is attractive, Abatta > Bologna.

9. JamieO
    July 30, 2008 12:16 pm

I prefer to think of her in Pittsburghese and call her Julie Jumbo.

10. JP
    July 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Hokey patrol is brillant! This city needs about a thousand hokies to clean up after all the hoopies that live here. Besides have you ever been to brookline? he wheels have really come off there in the last decade or so, although Fiore’s pizza is by far the best in the city.

11. TBD
    July 30, 2008 3:53 pm

#1 IMHO “do-me” boots are never out of season :)

#6 Nice. The emo taggers ought to go take pictures of dead pigeons instead of messing up everyone elses property.

#7 She says “Bo-lone-ya” I says “Bol-own-ee”. JamieO’s got it – just call her Julie Jumbo. I was doing that around the house when she was here last. I like it.

12. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    July 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Saying Julie Jumbo instead of Julie Bologna seems like a good idea, except for the fact that it is generally never a good idea to refer to any woman as Jumbo.

13. CS Keys
    July 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Gotta go with retiredguy on this one…

14. PittCheMBA
    July 30, 2008 7:17 pm

1. Kat Deely is hot.
    7. Sex sells, so no wonder WPXI brought back Julie Bologna. As a guy, I always thought Rebecca Hower was more attractive that Julie Bologna. Erin Kienzle on WTAE is very cute. She always wears form fitting clothes that highlight her petite figure.

July 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Never any love for Christine Sorensen.

None from me either, but SOMEBODY must like her.

Right?

*crickets*

16. spoon
    July 30, 2008 9:48 pm

bucdaddy, you sure Jeff Reed isn’t already hiding in her bush.

wait… shit

aw hell i’ll let it go.

17. Dan (Not Onarato)
    July 31, 2008 7:17 am

#1 I agree with TBD…do-me boots can be worn all the time

Kristine Sorenson is cute…but the new girl at TAE (Amber Nicotra) is not too shabby either

I digress

18. gunnlino
    July 31, 2008 9:17 am

A bunch of neanderthals, the lot of you, you should be ashamed, objectifying woman like that. I’m sure they’re highly offended by your collective insensitivity.
    If any of you ladies need a shoulder to lean on feel free to give me a call.

19. unsatisfied (no longer Jeff Reed's Puke)
    July 31, 2008 11:49 am

no shame in my game, gunnlino…..

as for christine — she has her moments, but gotta ditch that helmet hair — and marty feldman or whateverhisnameis. his outward appearance reminds me of the “wanted” posters for the “zodiac” killer.

20. Spud's dad
    July 31, 2008 6:49 pm

JamieO, I gotta give you the prize today. No offense to PG and her usual excellent skewering, but “Julie Jumbo” made club soda shoot out of my nose, and I don’t even mind the tingling.

21. Ruby Vroom
    August 4, 2008 3:34 pm

I don’t have much opinion on local newscasters as even the hot ones seem asexual to me, but I do have to comment on the love for Pretty in Pink and the wanting to be Molly Ringwald. I think we’re the same age Pittgirl (34) and I identified with every part of that little Ringwald rant. I spent a good part of 8th grade putting Pizzazz red hair gel in my hair and wearing green eyeliner trying to convince everyone that I was not brown-haired and blue-eyed, but red-haired and green-eyed. (Not that Molly is green-eyed, but the red hair part was pure Molly emulation.) John Hughes movies were such a saving grace to me in junior high because they made it okay and even cool to want to be the weird, arty kid instead of the popular kid. And, then Heathers came along in high school and made it okay to want to orchestrate the offing of the popular kids in mock suicidal, homosexual love pacts. Ah, the 80s!