That stick-figure guy.

Update: She IS old and she IS English.  I’m a genius.  A frickin’ frickin’ genius. (h/t John)

I love old people.

Check out this letter printed yesterday in the PG’s Weekend Feedback:

It was with shock that I found out that KDKA had fired Valerie Abati, meteorologist. I found her refreshing, natural and always with a smile on her face. She appeared to get on well with her co-workers.

Reason number one I think the writer is old, “get on well”. Either that or she’s English.

Reason number two that I think the writer is old, she believes that the on-air banter between anchors is a legitimate and reliable gauge of how well they “get on” off-screen. I’m pretty sure Sally Wiggin and Wendy Bell have regular bitch-slap bouts in their cubicles, yet when they appear in public together, they basically make out with each other.

In Tuned In (MSNBC says money, not politics, drove Comcast decision, July 25), Rob Owen cites various possible reasons for her dismissal, such as people not caring for her voice or the way she came off. If that be the case, I am sure some people do not care for Keith Jones, Sonni Abatta and the traffic person.

“The traffic person”?!?!

Reason number three that she’s old. She couldn’t even be bothered to Google who KDKA’s traffic person is. And even better, not traffic GUY, traffic person. Gender neutral. Like a stick figure.

I heart Jim Lokay. I mean, if I weren’t anonymous, he and I would totally be best friends and would regularly meet Wendy Bell and David Conrad for drinks and we would all sit at Seviche for hours and talk smack about Sally Wiggin until Wendy started complaining that she couldn’t feel her teeth anymore and David, realizing that I had had six mimosas too many, would insist that we head home before Matt, Doug, and Daniel got angry.

But I AM anonymous. And he’s the TRAFFIC PERSON.

1. spoon
    August 1, 2008 8:45 am

Yinz Team lovingly refers to him as “the other white jim”. I practice being Jim in my basement with a green screen in case he ever gets put on the DL. Though I’d say “yup, parkway is pretty fucked this morning but when isn’t it? It just don’t get on well… n’at”

Besides we all know that off camera Jim is taunting Keith. You can see the fire in his eyes when he says “NORT SIIIDE shootin”.

2. Burgh Baby
    August 1, 2008 8:50 am

Geesh, if you want to get on The Other White Jim’s nerves, you call him “that weather person.” At least insult him properly.

3. TheJim
    August 1, 2008 9:06 am

BurghBaby once insulted Jimmy about his profession and he practically suplexed her right there on the bleachers after a softball game. Stay on his good side lady, I implore you.

Also, I told an amazing, possibly true, PittGirl story on Wednesday night at Bar Louie.

4. pittgirl
    August 1, 2008 9:11 am

If that would be the story about the girl you saw that stared at you and you were sure it was me because she looked how you imagined I would look.

It wasn’t me.

;)

5. TheJim
    August 1, 2008 9:13 am

Disinformation!

You knew I knew!

6. DeutschtownFrau
    August 1, 2008 9:33 am

The Jim, what do you think PG looks like? I think of her as a cross between Tina Fey and Maura Tierney, which is confusing since she calls her sister Tina Fey. But you know – brunette, warm eyes, smile always twitching at the corner of her mouth …

7. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 1, 2008 9:40 am

ok so you saw Ken Rice at a bar…

8. pittgirl
    August 1, 2008 9:41 am

Heee.

9. Christina
    August 1, 2008 9:51 am

Jim Lokay is great. Last week, on the morning news he was subbing in for Sonni Abatta, and they were on a segment talking about the top-grossing movies, and Jim got to “Mamma Mia!” and was all, “…And Keith’s favorite, Mamma Mia!” Someone in the background laughed outloud, and then Keith somehow got talked into telling a story about how he saw it live. He looked very uncomfortable about it. I loved it.

10. Christina
    August 1, 2008 9:52 am

Sheesh, I wrote that like an excited little kid. Pardon all the “and”-s. I apparently am very passionate and lose my head over the camaraderie among the KDKA morning news team.

11. Leigh
    August 1, 2008 1:35 pm

For the record, I also heart Jim Lokay.

I miss my tv access solely because of the traffic report each morning…

12. JJ
    August 1, 2008 5:30 pm

I heart Jim Lokay too. He would make a perfect self-united husband! He seems like such a personable & funny guy & not too much makes me laugh @ 5 am.

13. Shibori
    August 1, 2008 8:05 pm

They fired Valerie Abati? Awesome. I’ve never seen her on tv, but she would do little weather clips on whatever radio station is on in my car (100.7 maybe?) and could never, ever pronounce the word “meteorologist” correctly. Every time she’d come on, I’d cringe. Sometimes she’d just stumble through it, sometimes she’d add or subtract syllables, and sometimes it would sound like a different word entirely. If you can’t pronounce your job, you need a new job.

14. InSewickley
    August 2, 2008 7:30 pm

Jim Lokay = so overrated.

OK, just kidding.

We like Lokay’s traffic reports the best.

15. Bob
    August 3, 2008 9:49 pm

Ken Rice Going To Bat For Jim Lokay….I Like What I Am Seeing Out Of KDKA

16. NoMansBabyMama
    August 3, 2008 10:32 pm

Another one she could not pronounce was “temperature”. She constantly said “temp a cher”. That was pretty annoying because she said that word at least 15 times in a clip. Her voice was the most annoying. She should probably stay behind the scenes and not be on TV or radio. Sorry.

17. Lance
    August 25, 2008 4:46 pm

SONNI GOT A NOSE JOB! IT LOOKS WORSE!

18. jalapeenahannah
    August 26, 2008 12:18 pm

i went to school with lokay…even when he was a freshman he dressed like an ancorman. i’ve heard some crazay stories about him.

19. CriticExtraoordinaire
    September 6, 2008 8:04 pm

NoMansBabyMama, why complain just about Valerie’s diction?

When Becky Hower was doing the weather, she could not pronounce weather (pronounced it “weathaw”) or thunderstorm (“thundastawm”) like a female Elmer Fudd. Never heard anybody complain about that.

I wonder if Val got fired because of those rumors about lesbianism? The Burgh is still a very conservative town in some circles.