Random n’at.

1.  Tonight.  Me.  Bryan Adams.  Squeeee!  Anyone else going to the concert?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Zober?

2.   Scary Naked Bleeding Man has earned Ross Guidotti a Mid-Atlantic Emmy nomination for his “Naked Man Running” story.  Gosh.  If he wins, I hope they print the name of the story right on his Emmy.

(h/t Mme.G.)

3.  Let’s check in today with Baby Cici Donna:

Still fat.

But not as fat as I expected him to be.  I see some muscle definition there, coach.

Also, I don’t need to tell you what Coach Tomlin is really thinking in that photo right there do I?  It rhymes with rom-rom-rom.

4.  URA development dude Pat Ford has been cleared of wrongdoing and wants to come back to work after having taken almost $35,000 in paid leave for doing no work at all.

Lukey said:

“If there was no wrongdoing found from the ethics commission, then obviously we’ll take that into consideration and move forward,” Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said.

And, Burghers, you’ll need that drink because get a load of this:

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he was “encouraged” by the lawyer’s claims, but that neither he nor the URA could act on reinstating the development chief until they receive formal word from the commission. That may be soon, or it may be when the commission meets in the fall.

THE FALL?!  This means that Pat Ford could conceivably be on paid leave for several more months?

Blllll.

5.  The Boardwalk is rollin’ on the river.  Buh-bye.

6.  Reader Emily wrote:

My mom and I are watching that Sunday night KDKA sports show and Jory Rand, the new KDKA newscaster is on, and she instantly thinks that this Jory should be one of your self-united husbands.  I did some Google Imaging and I’m not sure how I feel.  He’s no Dan, David, Matt, or even Doug, but I just thought you should know your fans are looking out for the well-being of your potential marriages.

You know what?  There’s just no THERE there for me.  I think it’s the eyebrows (says Ken Rice).

1. MiamiShyner
    August 7, 2008 9:47 am

Is Baby Cici transferring the chub over to the coach? And is that REALLY the outline of a possible can of snuff in his pocket? Do guys still do that?!?!

It’s been a good ten years since I’ve been in the Burgh, but seeing the former Donzi’s n’at floatin away brought a tear to my eye. Yinz can’t deny you had to have had at least one good night in that bitch.

I hope that you will write to us tomorrow from Bryan’s tour bus or plane or whatever he’s traveling in. :-)

2. Puma
    August 7, 2008 9:49 am

Do you think Don Barden watched that float by yesterday and said: “Make sure they bolt this place to the floor”.

3. Christine
    August 7, 2008 10:22 am

So, the demise of another “landmark” — the Boardwalk. So much for all those city planners who said “if you build it, they will come” about anything constructed on any riverfront. Too bad — it was a fun place for lunch many moons ago when I worked on the Northside (errr, “North Shore” — it’s all about marketing, people).

4. dayafternext
    August 7, 2008 10:23 am

MiamiShyner – I spent more time there than I’d like to remember (or that I literally can remember). I’m shedding a tear right along with you.

5. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    August 7, 2008 10:36 am

I saw the picture of the floating boardwalk yesterday and all I could think of it would be great to have a party there as it was floating down the river.

6. Christina
    August 7, 2008 10:44 am

I am experiencing fond and drunk memories of my early 20’s when I was dragged to the Boardwalk with friends and staggered up and down those horrible stairs in uncomforable, cheap wh*re shoes. It’s fun to see a building that I once puked in getting carried away down a river. I’m so glad I will never have to go there again.

I’m so glad I’m not in my early 20’s anymore. Staying home and drinking and playing video games with my BF is where it’s at. If I fall up my own stairs and puke in the bathroom, I may not have a sassy bathroom attendant to comfort me afterward, but I have a boyfriend who will hold back my hair and give me Gatorade. And a dog who will lay outside the door and wait for me to finish.

7. Mark
    August 7, 2008 11:01 am

Ah all those Wednesday night college memories of the Boardwalk just floated away, literally, I guess. I had some fun times there in college, I remember stricking to the floor to the point where you stood in one spot for more than a minute you would pull your foot out of your shoe.

It was always better when the outside was open. All my friends in college would go out there and drink and talk the whole night.

Ah, memories.

August 7, 2008 11:08 am

I can deny having at least one good night on that barge of a thing.

I went to donzi’s once in my life — and had to leave immediately, thanks to choking on all of the hairspray in the air.

I think that it’s funny that no one connected to the joint seems to know where it’s going.

9. Thee Dude
    August 7, 2008 11:44 am

The Boardwalk leaving reminds me of “Come Dancing” by The Kinks

10. th3t3chb0y
    August 7, 2008 1:10 pm

2.Puma said …

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

11. Maria
    August 7, 2008 1:33 pm

“River Rescue patrols saw it heading down the Ohio River, but when a passing officer asked a worker on the second barge yesterday where the complex was going, the man just shrugged his shoulders.”

Only in Pittsburgh.

Also, Jory Rand has the coolest name ever.

12. Mitch Cumstein
    August 7, 2008 2:47 pm

I was watching one of those off-season NFL competition shows they have in Hawaii, like where quarterbacks throw at targets, skill position guys run obstacle courses, etc.

There was a strongman competition and the event was bench press. Baby Cici Donna won that shit going away. He did like 40 reps (maybe a few more, not sure) and I think the runner up did like 34 or something. That would be 40+ reps with 225 pounds. Baby Ben would probably be lucky to get 20, 25 reps. Nose tackles need to be relatively short with a low center of gravity and stout. Baby Cici Donna’s not strong, he’s ridonkulously powerful. Just saying. Don’t lose too much weight, big guy. We want you on that line. We need you on that line.

13. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 7, 2008 4:05 pm

Boy, Baby Cici Donna’s shirt is soaked. He’ll be alright.

14. NoSide15212
    August 7, 2008 4:08 pm

If you look really, really close, in the window you can see John Steigerwald in a yellow turtleneck and plaid blazer, still leaning on the bar inside, wondering where everybody went.

15. Joe K.
    August 7, 2008 9:12 pm

A little sad to see the Boardwalk go, to see some of my mis-spent post-college youth floating away down the river.

The first New Year’s Eve when we were 21 we decided to go to Donzi’s. I thought I’d dress up. I wore my NEW jeans. The people there must have thought I was homeless, with their black dresses and suits. But it was all good, with fireworks at midnight.

Hard to believe they can’t make a go of that location, maybe the South Side is just too dominant now with its array of nightlife. The Boardwalk was great in the summer, for a little while they even had that place next to it with the sand and palm trees (can’t remember the name). Between that and Banana Joe’s the Strip was where it was at (probably dating myself).

So what’s that leave in the city and region for riverfront nightlife? Do the Bettis grill and Calico Jack’s count as “riverfront” places? Off the top of my head the closest to me might be Kelly’s in Bridgewater.

16. Egan
    August 7, 2008 10:25 pm

That’s not a can of snuff; that’s the effect of nom-nom-nomming.

And he totally is. In every picture. PittGirl, that could be your new drinking game: The Coach Tomlin Perverted Face Captured by the Media game.

Drink.

17. Brendon
    August 8, 2008 1:01 am

Is it me or does coach Tomlin have a can of Skoal in his pocket?

Or is he just happy to nom nom nom?

18. Steeler_tom
    August 8, 2008 7:51 am

I’ve heard (from a good source) That Tomlin has a can of those sour fruit candies in his pocket.

It helps him maintain the sour look on his face……

19. Stephanique1
    August 8, 2008 8:33 am

Hey Joe K. – the place w/the sand you are referring to was Coconuts!
    so many other good memories in the Strip…Metropol, Have a Nice Day, Bar Pittsburgh, Headliners, Chemistry….good times….

20. Zsa
    August 8, 2008 9:27 am

Joe K – the problem isn’t the South Side, I think lots of people would be glad to have an alternate to the SS as it’s more and more college kids. The problem is the Boardwalk clubs and most of the clubs in the Strip are really poorly managed. Not to mention the crime has gone up and it’s a lot sketchier than it used to be to park there.

I am sad also though, many drunken nights at Tequila Willie’s and one very memorable encounter at Donzi’s being the reasons.

21. Joe K.
    August 8, 2008 5:53 pm

Coconuts! A fitting name for that place, given the scenery you could look at there . . .

I wonder if there’s any clubs on beaches down south named “Snowflake” or “Maple Tree” to evoke a northern setting.