Random n’at.

1.  I finally got a Wii Fit and I gotta tell you, I’m a little afraid to find out what my Wii Fit Age is.  I’ll let you know after I use it for the first time tonight, unless it is over 65.  Then I’ll throw that lying son of a bitch out the window.

2.  I love him, I do, but can we stop talking to Michael Phelps about the 4×100 free relay win yesterday and start talking to the guy that won it for him Jason Lezak?  That was otherworldly to watch.  And who knew there was such a thing as “drafting” in swimming?

Also:

Watching on deck, Phelps let out a resounding “Yeaaaaaah!” and thrust both arms toward the roof of the Water Cube.

Which is interesting because I didn’t know the word “Yeaaaaaaah!” started with an “F”.  Huh.

3. The CraigsList posters from Pittsburgh have been oddly normal as of late, however, there’s this local What The Effie trying to recruit for his new group The Pittsburgh Cheaters Club:

Looking to organize a small group of married individuals that have a desire to cheat on their spouse. Looking to somehow maintain an even number of men and women(d/d free)that can be discreet and meet with each other to full fill needs outside of their marriage. Everyone despite their age, race, looks are welcome…just be discreet and open minded……

Yes, married people! Come one, come all and meet other losers who might be old and fat and ugly to have super dreamy illicit sex with people we have to trust when they tell us they are free of disease and who we hope will not turn out to be crazy enough to boil your kid’s bunny rabbit.

This won’t end badly at all.

4. An email:

On Tuesday August 19, the Heinz History Center will be holding a press conference announcing the start of production of a feature documentary about the history and scientific achievements of the University of Pittsburgh’s Allegheny Observatory.

David Conrad, who will narrate the film, is planning to attend.

The film is executive produced by Bill Peduto.  Yes.  THAT Bill Peduto.

I’m pleased David is doing this because he’ll need the practice for when he narrates the next documentary: How the Choke-A-Bitchocrats Changed Pittsburgh Politics.

5.  Forbes ranked Pittsburgh the 11th hardest drinking city in the country.

I blame the Steelers.

(h/t Jen)

6. How weird is it to see Byron Leftwich in a Steelers uniform?  Hella!

7.  There are news reports today, legitimate news reports, that scientists are getting close to perfecting a cloak of invisibility, which sends my inner nerd, a girl I didn’t even know existed in me, into a giddy frenzy.

You can be sure, Burghers, that if I can get my hands on a cloak of invisibility that for the rest of his life David Conrad will always feel like he is being followed.  Especially into the shower.

Then he’ll be standing there washing his hair, asking himself, “Did I just hear someone say, ‘Bow chicka bow’?”

1. spoon
    August 11, 2008 8:19 pm

“Forbes ranked Pittsburgh the 11th hardest drinking city in the country.”

They didnt poll the right people. Alone, I could have made us top 10. Add in Yinz Team and it’s top 5.

2. Jeff the Speech Therapist
    August 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Heh. I thought I was the only one, and a trained spotter no less thanks to six years in the SSHE, to see the F.

3. coach99
    August 11, 2008 8:29 pm

11th hardest drinking????? Come on, we can do better than that!!!!

August 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Isn’t “bow chicka bow” for, y’know, “chicka”s?

5. Xena
    August 11, 2008 9:03 pm

If I weren’t already legally united, I’d consider self-uniting to Jason Lezak. What unbelievable heart and will.

6. Maria
    August 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Michael Phelps…that boy isn’t human. And I love Lezak for owning the trash-talkin’ Frenchies. The only person I’ve ever self-united to was Ryan Malone, but since we went to Tampa I also self-divorced him. Which means I am offically self-uniting with both Phelps and Lezak, because polygamy is the way to go.

7. Fonda Bruises
    August 11, 2008 10:31 pm

“Did I just hear someone say, ‘Bow chicka bow’?”

hmmmm or maybe “nom – nom – nom”

8. nel
    August 12, 2008 12:12 am

#5. So we were beat by Cincinatti, Portland and Austin???
    That’s pretty pathetic.

9. jstanca
    August 12, 2008 12:15 am

Cleveland finally beat us at something…never thought it would be this. We need to step it up next year. Pittsburgh says…Drink!

10. plexxer
    August 12, 2008 7:44 am

I think 11th is pretty darn good given the puritanical laws regarding alcohol in this state. I’m sure we’d crack the top 5 if we were able to get a sixer in a CoGos when we were out cruisin’ Beechview…

11. james
    August 12, 2008 11:02 am

Lezak was awesome, don’t get me wrong… I think I heard someone say he had one of the fastest relay splits ever and the Americans don’t win without him. But that Frenchie choked. Pure and simple; there is no way he should have lost that race with the lead he had. His finish was terrible. That’s why they compete, and why Phelps gets so much attention. He is expected to win everytime he gets in the pool and not once (so far) has he disappointed.

12. deb
    August 12, 2008 11:42 am

Seriously I have the WiiFit and LOVE it. The first time I think I was 40 but now I’m at 28 which is my age. Wait till you start hula hooping! Be forewarned…you will be addicted! Oh and you will also HATE your trainers. Every time they start with the “your legs are a little shaky” I give them a good middle finger and tell them to shut up.

Enjoy :-)

13. geeves
    August 12, 2008 12:00 pm

@ james – yeah, he tightened up the last 15-20 meters. but his split was still impressive none-the-less. He went ~46.6? That is consistent with his times over the last year or so in relays. Lezak went 46,06 – fastest in history, Lezak won this; the French didn’t lose it.

14. lovesthenorthside
    August 12, 2008 2:13 pm

5. i blame the pens — half the team was underage.

4. yeah allegheny observatory! one of the gems of the northside, it’s open for tours and is holding an open house on october 1. well worth the trip to riverview park. http://www.pitt.edu/~aobsvtry/tours.html

15. lovesthenorthside
    August 12, 2008 2:15 pm

ps: if you go to the observatory, make them take you to the crypt where john brashear and his son are buried…

16. susie
    August 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I’ll have to agree with james and disagree with geeves on this one. I think james was exactly right. Without Lezak’s finish, the Americans certainly wouldn’t have won, but the French still lost it. It was their race to lose and they did. I don’t think it diminishes anything, but that’s how i saw it. It was a super exciting race.

17. geeves
    August 13, 2008 10:26 am

After watching it again, Bernard didn’t help their chances when he looked over at Lezak with 3 meters left to go. He should have kept his head forward and pushed hard for the wall.

Saying that it was the French relay’s that lost it is cheapening the moment and the competition as a whole.

It’s not choking like the American gymnast last night.

Bernard was out swum by Lezak, plain and simple.

Having won a race in similar fashion during one of my first major swimming finals, I detest the thought as a competitor, that it’s someone’s race to lose.

Especially when you hit the last turn and the thought “screw this, I am winning this” consumes your mind and your body responds and does the unthinkable to overtake and win.

Even as classless as the French seemed after the race, it’s denial and bargaining that they can’t simply admit they were beaten by the faster swimmer in that race.

18. Summer
    August 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Read this, and my first thought was: “Ten cities beat Pittsburgh at drinking?!”

Then I remembered the Onorato Tax.

19. Pingback: Recent Links Tagged With "stop" - JabberTags