Thugalicious thuggery.

Last week the PG’s Gene Collier described the massive, unneccessary hit that Anthony Smith put on Hines Ward in practice as “training-camp thuggery.”

Mike Tomlin said he finds the use of the term thug to be offensive while Anthony Smith said:

I never mugged anybody or robbed anybody. I got a clean record. I don’t know how I would be classified as a thug.”

So I have a question or three.

Do you guys think that these Steelers, these Steelers that apparently take everything very literally, are walking around camp going, “You know, I just don’t get why PittGirl calls ‘Tonio an Asshat.  I mean, I have never … not even once … seen him walking around with his head shoved up his own anus.  Is that even possible?  She’s delusional.”

And do you also think they wonder why they weren’t invited to the Duke’s coronation ceremony?

Or if Casey Hampton has the name Xavier Roberts tattooed on his giant lard ass?

Gawd.

1. spoon
    August 13, 2008 11:53 am

Someone needs to tell Omar Epps that being filled with piss and vinegar only work for your rookie season.

2. james
    August 13, 2008 11:57 am

normally i would agree that people take things way too seriously/literally, but i think tomlin, smith and the steelers are in the right here. i think gene collier is getting a little nuts in his old age. i know his job is to write about crap like this, but did he even have to chime in on this one? he’s making a big deal out of something that isn’t. smith shouldn’t have put that kind of hit on ward in practice. he knows it and ward and the coaches all talked about it with him. ward even said it was a dead issue, but for some reason it’s still kicking.

3. frantastic
    August 13, 2008 11:58 am

Xavier Roberts… LOL

August 13, 2008 12:13 pm

thug.

not a thug.

whatev.

it still doesn’t obscure the fact that anthony smith should concentrate more on shutting down the opposing receivers and less on making idiotic predictions.

5. me
    August 13, 2008 12:46 pm

thug: A person, often a criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, especially for hire.

I think the word “thug” is being taken as a racial remark… and to tell you the truth I don’t blame Tomlin for be pissed about it.

6. Can of Worms
    August 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Actually I don’t think they pay much attention to what Pittgirl has to say, period.

7. NoSide15212
    August 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Agree with “me.” “Thug” and its derivatives have entered the rap lexicon and are forever associated with gun-toting, gang-banging street dealers.

While the term may be off-putting, however, the sentiment is true: Anthony Smith is a jackass for teeing off on the his team’s premier receiver and emotional leader. Clearly he did not think about the potential downside (possibly ending Hines Ward’s season) of his devastating masterpiece of defensery, indicating to me that he learned absolutely nothing from last year’s Patriots episode. No doubt he’ll again need fitted for an asbestos uniform the week of the Patriots game. . .

8. joey
    August 13, 2008 1:44 pm

I think the word “thug” is being taken as a racial remark…

Yeah, I see all the racial connotations in that definition.

Good grief.

9. maxtalbot
    August 13, 2008 1:46 pm

I’m with NoSide15212 on this. Smith should STFU and concentrate on coverage, an area which needs boatloads of improvements. I think that Collier’s use of “thug” was ineloquent because it seems to have taken on racial overtones. Guess he missed that memo. But his point – that Smith is irresponsible and a defensive liability is spot on. Anthony Smith redefines stupid and the stupid, it is so stupid.

10. pittgirl
    August 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Yes, Can of Worms. Because I was totally serious when I wrote that.

Good grief is right.

11. Monty
    August 13, 2008 2:27 pm

I would encourage everyone to back up off of Gene Collier lest he break out his pimp hand on you.

12. Joe
    August 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Are we really going to have this discussion? Again?? The word thug, as with many other words (one that begins with an N comes to mind) is one of those words that seems OK to use if you are black and you are talking about another black person.

However, when a white person uses the word thug in reference to a black person, some people infer racism. Is it? I guess it depends on your perspective.

13. maxtalbot
    August 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Which is why I stand by my pet name for him: The Stupid. Because (a) it’s accurate and (b) it’s racially neutral.

14. joey
    August 13, 2008 3:19 pm

So now thug is “the T word”? WTF, I missed that memo.

Any other words I can’t use anymore?

15. back in the burgh
    August 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Joey – guess I missed the memo, too. I thought thug meant anyone doing that kind of ignorant stuff, black or white. Guess I’ll go with maxtalbot and just call him “The Stupid.” Seems safe enough.

16. Magnus Patris
    August 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Joey, I believe “poopy-head” and “farty-pants” are also off limits. Personally, I think “farty-pants” is a good new name Hampton.

17. retiredguy
    August 13, 2008 3:49 pm

So Gene Collier called him a thug. Don’t act like a thug on the field and nobody will call you one. If Bill Burns were still alive he’d have called him a “hoodlum”. I used to love when he would call “alledged” criminals hoodlums on the noon news. And he really hated pigeons.

Maybe Collier should have just called him a jagoff.

18. NoSide15212
    August 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Like many other words, the word “thug” can derive its meaning from the experience or perspective of the individual hearing it. . . in any case, “thug” isn’t the new “N” word, nor is it a diluted version of the “N” word; I didn’t hear anyone suggest that in the article nor do I see it in this thread. For a gajillion black kids (and middle-class, wannabe, white fraternity jackasses) who grew up on Tupac’s “The Thug Life,” I assure you the word has a different connotation than what Gene Collier, who was born during George Washington’s second term, meant. What I want to know is why PittGirl is taking Anthony Smith so literally –seriously, do you think HE was serious? Get real; all yinz.

19. SportyGal85
    August 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Training camp thuggery? I’m sorry but that’s more than a bit much. The guy got excited and went way too hard, but thuggery, I think not. I guess Collier missed it when Steve Smith broke his own teammate’s nose a couple weeks ago. As a result that dude is having surgery and will miss the beginning of the season. Yet, Smith dishes out a hard hit and it’s thuggery? Get outta here. Oh, and no thug is not the equivalent of the N word (which plenty of black people neither approve of or use, btw),but it does suggest racial undertones in certain contexts nonetheless.

20. Sportshater
    August 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Maybe I’m just getting too old (though nowhere near as old as Gene-o), but I equate the word “thug” with the word “goon”–more of a Godfather connotation. Plus there’s Monty Burns’s statement, “I prefer the personal touch you only get with hired goons.”

So, is it okay if we call people goons? Or have I revealed myself to be racist against Italians, despite my Italian-Irish wife?

21. B
    August 13, 2008 11:40 pm

I don’t blame them. Sorry, but look up the definition of thug and they have every right to be kinda annoyed by the use of it here.

22. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 14, 2008 7:33 am

I cant believe yinz are going back and forth about this…

Its like the scene in Major League where they were arguing whether or not the ball was hit too high or too far….who gives a shyte…its gone

Thug…goon…stupid…idiot…schmuck…who gives a crap just cover your receiver and keep your trap shut

Move along…jeezuz

23. spoon
    August 14, 2008 8:04 am

Some jackass on a cellphone tried running me and 4 others off the road while merging onto Vets Bridge this morning. He was driving a beat up Pontiac with tricked out rims and sat so low and far back in his seat you could only see the top of his head.

He’s a thug.

Dan (Not Onarato), they’re still shitty.

24. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 14, 2008 8:18 am

LOL @ spoon

25. TheJim
    August 14, 2008 10:52 am

Antho Smith likes to hit people. Hines Ward is people. TA DA!

August 14, 2008 11:09 am

yes, it’s ok for antho to hit people — ON THE OTHER TEAM. (is he going by “antho” now?)

yes, they are still shitty, spoon — we’re talkin’ about the succos, right?

27. B
    August 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Dan–I think the point is with so many players being guilty of behavior that actually does warrant the use of the word, it’s kind of ignorant to use that word where it doesn’t belong, that’s all.