Four.

Yesterday I asked you guys to put your five favorite CDs of all time in the comments section to the post entitled “Five.”

In 88 comments, 52 of you posted your lists and 25 of you managed to list only five CDs. The rest couldn’t resist longer lists or honorable mentions.

So you see how difficult only five is, right?

Today is number four.

When I was 24, I spent three months living in Mexico and during that time, and during all of my many many many visits back to that country, and thanks to the music choices of my friends from Mexico, I have learned to come to appreciate their music.

Maybe not all of it because I will NEVER understand the appeal of Mariachi music and the fact that every damn song sounds the same, like this “Coachi peeky weeky lala moody dooody doo. Peety wicky feety rara plooty poo ooo poo.” Srsly.

But I have come to appreciate and adore the songwriting of my number four pick for JoBeth Booksellers, particularly for two of my favorite songs ever, “Sexo, Pudor, y Lagrimas” and “Tu Necesitas.

Listen to at least those two on this album by an artist born in Merida, one of the most beautiful parts of Mexico I have ever visited.

4. Aleks Syntek, 89-99.

You do not need to understand what the words mean because Aleks Syntek speaks the language of Awesome.

Coming next, Number Three, which is an album one of you already listed to make your top five.

If you haven’t yet listed your top five, feel free to do so here. It is a great exercise in FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND ONLY LISTING FIVE!

;)

1. Lyon Advocate
    August 15, 2008 8:01 am

1. Radiohead – The Bends
    2. Weezer – Blue Album
    3. The Killers – Sam’s Town
    4. Nirvana – Unplugged in New York
    5. Pearl Jam – Live at Benaroya Hall

I’d list other bands and albums, but I don’t want to invoke PG’s wrath.

2. pittgirl
    August 15, 2008 8:02 am

That’s church.

3. Monty
    August 15, 2008 8:12 am

1. Joey Lawrence: Soulmates
    2. The Wiz soundtrack
    3. Buster Poindexter: Hot Hot Hot
    4. Mariah Carey: Glitter soundtrack
    5. K-Fed: Playing with Fire

4. J
    August 15, 2008 8:33 am

Ok,

1. David Sedaris – Me Talk Pretty One Day (it just says recording, not music!)
    2. Jesus Christ Super Star (original Broadway version)
    3. Ella Fitzgerald – Compact Jazz
    4. Avett Brothers – Emotionalism
    5. Tori Amos – Little Earthquakes

Wow, that list makes me feel old. Those are the choices of an old woman. But with the exception of the Avett Bros most of those have been my favorites for 10 years or more. Ella Fitzgerald since the 80s and JC Super Star since childhood. Blah blah blah, all just fancy talk for being tragically unhip.

5. Brother Anthony
    August 15, 2008 8:49 am

This is so futile, but I’m shocked at most peoples’ taste. My favorite from the previous post was Heather.

I’m listing what I think are 5 really great albums as albums. They’re not necessarily my favorites. It may not be a coincidence that some of my best loved genres and artists are not represented. How can you pick one favorite from those closest to you?

If I’d included soundtracks/compilations I’d have included the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack.

13 Songs – Fugazi
    Graceland – Paul Simon
    Flood – They Might Be Giants
    Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie
    Thriller – Michael Jackson

6. Sarah
    August 15, 2008 9:16 am

Succumbing to the power of sheepitude (and in no particular order):
    1. Counting Crows – “August and Everything After”
    2. Peter Gabriel – “Us”
    3. Dave Matthews Band – “Crash”
    4. Tori Amos – “Boys for Pele”
    5. The Wailin’ Jennys – “Firecracker”

I find it interesting that the first four are all on the list because of the prominence they played at particular times in my life. I can dial back time in my head by listening to any of them. Number five is because it’s been on heavy rotation on my iPod for the past several months and I’ve yet to get tired of it.

August 15, 2008 9:24 am

J, Don’t feel old. Avett Bros. cool enough to be opening a couple shows for DBTs next month.

Props Brother Anthony on the Fugazi mention. Great band.

Picking just five records is HARD.

8. BIGGEORGE
    August 15, 2008 9:25 am

I started listening to the radio in 1969
    when I was 5. My sister had a radio that
    was round and had a long chain attached.
    She wouldn’t let me listen to it.

We had a radio on the kitchen table that
    my dad used to listen to 1250 kdka for
    news and weather. I found that if I moved a switch on the back over and
    adjusted the dial I could listen to music.

It was 102.5 WDVE…and the rest was history

my list is as follows

1. The Beatles Sgt. Pepper

2. Led Zepplin #4

3. The Who My Generation

4. Pink Floyd The Dark side of the Moon

5. Linda Ronstadt and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra

They kind of go by what age I disovered
    them.

the last one is out there, but it was the
    one that really open my eyes to jazz.
    there were always certain songs I like
    growing up. I found my way back to them
    after purchasing #5. they were jazz or
    blues or whatever you want to call it that
    made it on to ‘dve or 13Q.

After finding a name for that particular
    type of music. JAZZ. I then dove into
    Nina, blakie, ella, duke etc.

In sarasota now I have a radio dial that covers all from rock to easy to jazz to…

9. ultraviolet
    August 15, 2008 9:43 am

pittgirl i am impressed! due to the severe lack of a hispanic population we in pittsburgh rarely get to enjoy music from “south of the border”. i sometimes forget how much i enjoy it, i think i need to include this in my music library.

10. addie
    August 15, 2008 9:46 am

Ooh, Avett Brothers – there’s a track from them on the new WYEP Live & Direct CD, and I’m kind of obsessed with it (“You Swept me Away”). Off to look up that CD…

11. Kelli
    August 15, 2008 9:47 am

I have to appreciate Brother Anthony’s mention of the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack. Such a good one.

I followed the rules on the first list. Now I should do a second of local and/or unknown.

Off to think…

12. Questionable Taste Time!
    August 15, 2008 10:00 am

This one’s getting too cool-for-school compared to the other set of comments. Gotta guilty-pleasure it up a notch. :)

1. Morcheeba – Big Calm
    2. The Go! Team – Thunder, Lightning, Strike [Proof of Youth still needs to grow on me, despite a couple of killer songs]
    3. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
    4. Gnarls Barkley – St. Elsewhere
    5. Cake – Comfort Eagle

The last time I got into a discussion about this on the internet I had some of my old “but – but – it was my favorite in high school!” picks shamed out of me, so it’s not quite as cheesy as it used to be. Haha.

13. pasta
    August 15, 2008 10:04 am

Is that singer at an event sponsored by Depend undergarments?

August 15, 2008 10:08 am

@ BIGGEORGE:

13Q — WOW. you just took me right back to being 6 years old and calling them to ask them to play “the night chicago died” again after I had just heard it for the first time on their station.

yep — I’m that friggin’ old.

my musical tastes, in spite of my list in the original thread, are all over the place (I’m a big fan of the “random” feature on my ipod). I attribute that mostly to my sister, who is 9 years older than I, got me addicted to 13Q (it was a pgh radio station, not a strain of pot) and who had a killer record collection: beatles, “frampton comes alive!”, ELO, BTO, foghat, sly & the family stone, alice cooper, earth wind & fire. her high school boyfriend introduced me to the likes of average white band, chick corea and peter gabriel-era genesis. then, I had my folks, who were into sinatra and simon & garfunkel.

all of these people helped shape my life and what I listen to today. I’m just glad that we didn’t have crap like hannah montana to listen to when I was a kid — and that I grew up listening to this timeless stuff instead. that’s the kind of thing that I hope to do for my kids someday.

15. Amanda
    August 15, 2008 10:20 am

Ok first, I have to wonder if Monty’s suggestions are sarcastic. If not, that’s pretty sweet.

Here are mine… narrowing it down to five caused me severe anxiety, and I’m not sure if Ryan Adams, Ray Lamontagne, and Sufjan Stevens will ever forgive me. I hope you are happy, PG.

Bob Dylan – Desire

The Smiths-Singles
    Joy Division-Singles
    New Order-Substance and a double disc on I have
    So on and so forth…

19. DW
    August 15, 2008 10:45 am

Very hard to list 5!! Plus I don’t really listen to full CD’s anymore. Just download single songs I like.

Sadly, my car is loaded with Hannah/Miley Cyrus and High School Musical discs now….and I know the words, too. Yikes.

Pearl Jam – Ten

Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

U2 – Achtung Baby

Live – Throwing Copper

R.E.M. – Eponymous (since compilations are allowed)

20. Sooska
    August 15, 2008 12:01 pm

fine. if you need to have everyone follow “rules”
    my favorite 5 albums

Beatles: Abbey Road
    Mary Chapin Carpenter: Come On,Come On
    Michael Franks: The Art of Tea
    Paul Simon- Graceland
    Rusted Root – When I Woke

21. spoon
    August 15, 2008 12:07 pm

With all of the yinzers on here I’m surprised at the lack of Clarks and Donnie Iris.

1) Pearl Jam – Ten
    2) Matt Sigmon – One Opens Up
    3) Green Day – American Idiot
    4) Mary Prankster – blue Skies Over Dundalk
    5) Presidents of the USA – P O USA

22. TeacherMomma
    August 15, 2008 12:36 pm

I totally love and agree with DW’s list. I would swap lists, but I have my own 5 albums that I could listen to every day for the rest of my days (and have) and never get bored:

1. Sublime, self-titled
    2. Dave Matthews Band: Crash
    3. Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium
    4. Korn, Issues
    5. Jimmy Buffett, Songs You Know by Heart

I know that last one threw you. lol

23. firefly88
    August 15, 2008 12:37 pm

Only 5 all-time favorites is next to impossible to choose, especially if you leave out compilations. But here goes:

Beatles – Rubber Soul
    Nirvana – Nevermind
    Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed
    Van Halen – 1984
    Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II

24. red pen mama
    August 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Okay, I’m going to stop reading other people’s because I go, “Oh, I gotta put that one on there.” So here’s mine (today at least):

Nirvana — Nevermind (Unplugged in NY is awesome, but this is the one that started it all)
    Coldplay — Viva la Vida (their best, best, best to date)
    Radiohead — OK Computer (it was difficult to pick their best because they are all outstanding and different. Overall, though, this is the album with the best tracks.)
    Sleater Kinney — Dig Me Out
    Wilco — Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

So hard to stop. Must go back to work.

ciao,
    rpm

25. Jeff the Speech Therapist
    August 15, 2008 12:45 pm

So, if I was one of the (almost) direction-followers from yesterday (looking on there, I did have 6, technically, since my 5 was a tie), what’m I to post today? My four favorites from my #4?

Four others that sh/c/would’ve?

My brain hurts. See the link.

26. beaner
    August 15, 2008 3:31 pm

1. Boston – Boston
    2. Steve Miller Band – Young Hearts (compilation)
    3. Jackson Browne – Running on Empty
    4. Steely Dan – Aja
    5. Tom Petty – Anthology

this will seem commercial to some of you, i’m sure, but I like stuff from the late 70’s…some of the best times of my life…
    enjoying everyone’s lists!

27. Bridget
    August 15, 2008 4:02 pm

This was pretty tricky…a fun exercise, though…
    The Clarks: Between Now and Then
    Counting Crows: Films About Ghosts
    Rusted Root: When I Woke
    Billy Joel: Greatest Hits
    Rent: Broadway Soundtrack

28. Joe K.
    August 15, 2008 5:17 pm

U2 – The Joshua Tree
    Counting Crows – August & Everything After
    Rusted Root – When I Woke
    Live – Throwing Copper
    Better Than Ezra – Deluxe

Hard to pick just five. Yes I love my 90’s music.

29. bitterresentful
    August 15, 2008 7:23 pm

1. Police – Synchronicity
    2. U2 – Joshua Tree
    3. Tom Petty – Full Moon Fever
    4. Van Halen – 1984
    5. Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet

I so much want to list just 1 more…

30. MountaineerHoo
    August 15, 2008 7:48 pm

RPM, excellent mention of Wilco! This also reminds me of one of another favorite album, The Minus 5 — Down With Wilco.
    It’s refreshing to know that Burghers DO have good taste in music! I love reading these lists.
    Hey Bucdaddy! Do you happen to be a sports writer at the DP?

31. Kelly
    August 15, 2008 7:59 pm

1. Mother Love Bone – Mother Love Bone
    2. Pearl Jam – Ten
    3. Pink Floyd – The Wall
    4. Tool – Aenima
    5. Metallica – S&M

32. Gerry
    August 15, 2008 9:30 pm

1. The Who – Who’s Next
    2. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band – Darkness On The Edge of Town
    3. Steely Dan – Aja
    4. Pearl Jam – Ten
    5. Dave Matthews Band – Under The Table Dreaming

By the way I haven’t laughed out loud in a long time like I laughed at #6 of: What they’re really thinking … Training Camp 2008 Edition.

I laughed.
    I cried.
    It moved me.

Thanks

33. BooYeah
    August 15, 2008 11:05 pm

If I could only have 5 albums to listen to the rest of my life, it’d be these….

Duke Ellington – Live at Newport

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle

The Gathering Field – Lost in America

Allman Brothers Band – Live at the Fillmore East

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue

I like reading these lists, always gives me ideas of new things to listen to.

August 16, 2008 12:16 am

Hoo, No writer. Desk guy.

Spoon, Tossing a “Fortune 410” bone your way, but the Clarks? Meh.

The Silencers? Now we’re talkin’.

35. Still A Fan
    August 16, 2008 7:58 am

kelly – props on the Mother Love Bone pick….i always list Crown of Thorns / Chloe Dancer as one of my favorite songs and people look at me like I’m nuts. Superb Superb pick. I bought the CD shortly after seeing Singles because the beginning of that song gets to me…..bad.

36. spoon
    August 16, 2008 11:02 am

I’m just sayin, with as much as them and donnie are requested on the radio I figured they’d be on someone’s list. If i had honorable mention then “I’ll tell you what man” would be on my list along with some Affordable Floors

37. lost in pitts.
    August 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I love mariachi music. There is nothing more fun than dancing in a bar in Rosarito at 3:00 am to rancheros. This brings back some good memories.

38. Summer
    August 16, 2008 4:08 pm

I can’t resist lists. I tried, really, I did.

1. AC/DC – Back in Black
    2. Bruce Springsteen – Born in the U.S.A.
    3. Jon Bon Jovi – Cross Roads
    4. Lynard Skynard – Second Helping
    5. Nirvana – Unplugged

It’s a weird list, I know …

August 16, 2008 4:27 pm

spoon,

Technically, tho, Mr. Ierace is the Beaver Valley, no? Which might as well be Ohio, which might as well be Cleveland, which might as well be the West Coast. So how far we gonna stretch the definition of “Pittsburgh” anyway? Much farther than that and I’ll be tempted to put 63 Eyes’ “Lookin for Mothmen” and/or Billy Atwell’s “Ferret in a China Shop” and/or Owen Davis’ “Fifth Year Senior” and/or Granny’s 12 Gauge’s “Tales of High Decibel Desolation” and/or the collected works of Lack-a-Daisy on there.

That’s five.

bucdaddy, Morgantown

40. spoon
    August 16, 2008 6:34 pm

“Technically, tho, Mr. Ierace is the Beaver Valley, no? Which might as well be Ohio, which might as well be Cleveland, which might as well be the West Coast.”

now that’s pretty goddamn funny.

I always wondered where the imaginary boundary line ended for “being from pittsburgh”.

41. RTrain
    August 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Oh my god, it hurts me deep in my heart to whittle it down to 5, but here it is, the five most beloved, most influential albums of my life:

1. The Pixies – Surfer Rosa
    2. The Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin
    3. Radiohead – OK Computer
    4. Nirvana – Nevermind
    5. The Refreshments – Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy

August 17, 2008 10:55 am

Spoon, I figure the line is right on or somewhere just inside a circle from Little Warshington to Uniontown to Greensburg to Kittanning to Butler to Aliquippa. Sound about right?

43. Kathy
    August 18, 2008 8:12 am

It is really fun reading everyone’s lists, which made it all that much harder to put my own together because I kept thinking how much I loved so many of the ones listed. Really eclectic group of readers, PittGirl!

1. George Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue/An American in Paris
    2. Meat Loaf – Bat out of Hell
    3. Billy Joel Greatest Hits (vol 1 & 2)
    4. Beatles – 1967-1970