Random n’at.

1.  I spent 43 minutes with WiiSteve last night and when he first popped on the screen to walk me through the Tree pose in Yoga, which, IMMEDIATE TOE CRAMP, he was rubbing his neck and actually said, “Man.  I’m tired.  I think I stayed up too late last night.”

Steve.  Such a party animal.

Also, Steve told me I have “incredible abdominal strength.”

Flattery will get you everywhere with me, Steve.

I earned enough fit credits to unlock Rhythmic Boxing and HELLO! my newest addiction.

Also, last night, Pens Fan came over to try the Wii Fit for the first time.  Fitty told her she is underweight a smidgen at 101 pounds and that to achieve an ideal BMI, she should gain five pounds.

So Pens Fan set a goal to lose three pounds.

Fitty was like, “WTF?”

Also, if I posted video of Pens Fan trying to do the Basic Step, which is a step class set to music … immediate international YouTube sensation.  It was that funny.

2. MiamiShyner wrote:

So, it’s been a good nearly 10 years since I’ve been back to the Burgh and the name of this food has slipped my mind. For the most part, it’s just cabbage rolls. You know, with the rice and meat inside and tomato sauce on top. I was thinking halushki, but I looked it up and that’s cabbage and noodles. I know that we called them pigs in a blanket, but I thought they had another name as well. Since you’re still there and have the ear of the masses, I thought you might be able to lend a girl a hand. :-)

Well, my mother calls them Stuffed Cabbage.

Any ideas, Burghers?

3.  Mario says, “Gotcha!” to Danny O, Lukey and Eddie:

Mario Lemieux says the Penguins never were serious about leaving Pittsburgh. “It wasn’t a possibility,” Lemieux said during a groundbreaking ceremony Thursday for Pittsburgh’s $290 million hockey arena.

“We had to do a few things to put pressure on the city and the state, but our goal was to remain here in Pittsburgh all the way. Those trips to Kansas City and Vegas and other cities was just to go and have a nice dinner, and come back.”

City Councilwoman Tonya Payne, who represents the Hill District, Downtown and the North Shore, said Lemieux’s comments shocked her. “Every indication pointed to that they were serious about moving,” Payne said. “I know that scared the hell out of the governor, the mayor and the county executive. It got them in gear.”

You know.  I’m not angry about it.  He’s being honest about what he did and his bluff was never called.

Mario did what he needed to do to get the Penguins a new arena.  It worked.  It’s a game and he played it better.  Gold star for him.

4.  It looks like the 7-year-old maybe didn’t kill baby Marcia after all. Even though previous reports were that she admitted to it and that she had anger management issues.

So if the seven-year-old didn’t do it and the caregiver passed a lie detector test saying SHE didn’t do it.  Who did it?

The bottom of this case needs to be gotten to, because this is starting to reek of shenanigans.

5.  Here’s a giant What the Effie for you out of the North Hills.  I’m HIV positive and also, are you pregnant by any chance?  Have a nice day.

6.  Jenny Lee Bakery is closing after 70 years in the Burgh.  Huge loss.

7.  The Go Fug Yourself girls have the Scroll Down Fug, the Post-Gazette has the scroll-down phallus Popsicle.  Scroll down slowly.  You’ll know when you get to it.  Unless you’ve never seen a penis before.  In which case, does your mommy know you read my site?

(h/t efw_west)

1. ultraviolet
    August 15, 2008 8:54 am

the dish is halupki.

2. lauren
    August 15, 2008 8:56 am

my mom calls it stuff cabbage as well. although, we aren’t polish. there may be a polish name for it…

3. pittgirl
    August 15, 2008 8:56 am

Bam!

4. pittsburgher4life
    August 15, 2008 8:57 am

In response to #2 my family calls them in addition to pigs in a blanket….Polish Hand Grenades

5. PittinDC
    August 15, 2008 8:57 am

Ah sneaky Mario. I say, whatever he had to do to get everyone to realize they need to help the Pens out is fair game. Good for him for getting everyone to step it up!

6. Sue
    August 15, 2008 9:02 am

Ditto. It’s halupki.

7. Manda
    August 15, 2008 9:02 am

Hulupki, or sometimes golumpki. Depending on the nationality of the family making them.

8. cityworker
    August 15, 2008 9:04 am

I have sometimes heard that dish in pittsburgh be referred to as “Pigs in a blanket”. Don’t ask me why.

9. Sooska
    August 15, 2008 9:04 am

halupki

10. Monty
    August 15, 2008 9:07 am

The last time I saw that popsicle, it was wrapped in a skin-tight lime green bathing suit.

11. MiamiShyner
    August 15, 2008 9:12 am

Thanks to everyone!! My politically incorrect, African-American grandfather (may he rest in peace), called them Honkey Hand Grenades, but that name doesn’t so much fly these days. I’m trying to bring a bit of the Burgh to Miami.

PittGirl, you’re really making me want to go out and get the Fit…if I didn’t have to show up at a store at the ass-crack to try to get it.

Thanks again. :-)

12. stateofmain
    August 15, 2008 9:14 am

WiiSteve is kind of annoying. Every now and then, he takes over for my female trainer over the weekend and I just want to remind him that I didn’t chose him on purpose. Go away, Steve. Leave me alone.

Also, the BB lies about your weight by approximately 8 to 10 lbs according to my doctor’s office. I verified this myself last week. I knew BB was lying to me when it said I weighed 104 lbs, but I couldn’t fit into my slutty pants from college.

13. seppy
    August 15, 2008 9:33 am

maybe mario wasn’t serious about moving the team, but his group was serious about selling it an one point, and the new owners certainly wouldn’t have promised anything to the city. we’re lucky the balsille deal didn’t go through because he would have moved them.

14. uscmike
    August 15, 2008 9:33 am

Kudos to Mario for ‘playing’ the politician’s game better than them! With all of the tax money spent on stadiums housing our AAA baseball team and our beloved Stillers, it was absurd to not build an arena that gets used far more often than the other two stadiums combined.

Great job Mario – Go Pens!!

15. addie
    August 15, 2008 9:41 am

#2 – I grew up in a Polish family in NY, and I know the cabbage rolls as golumpki.

16. Paul K
    August 15, 2008 9:49 am

In my Polish/Slovak family golumpki (prounounced go-WUMP-kee) is stuffed cabbage. Halupki is more like a casserole version. Just depends on what part of Poland your family was from.

17. Spud's dad
    August 15, 2008 9:51 am

Jenny Lee’s not the only bakery to go under recently.
    Tarquinio’s in Beaver County (the B.C. equiv. of
    Mancini’s) closed b/c of the ridiculous cost of flour.

No worries, though. Dudt’s, Chatellier’s, and other
    small, local, excellent bakeries might go under, but
    now we’ve got Dunkin’ Donuts opening up all over the
    g-d place! As for bread, the fine folks at Iggle
    Inc. will be happy to keep peddling that bubble-gummy
    stuff they call crusty bread.

What if this hits Mancini’s? There goes Primanti’s, for
    one thing. Breadworks? Say goodbye to reasonable bread
    at upper-scale restaurants and hello to stuff from a
    Pillsbury can.

/lover of quality baked goods, not bitter at all

18. back in the burgh
    August 15, 2008 9:52 am

Hysterical Popsicle picture. You’ll DEFINITELY know when you get there! :-) I’m going to finally try my Wii fit, now … you have me intrigued!

Did anyone stay up to watch the women’s gymnastics last night? I’m an addict … it was awesome!

19. captain dummy
    August 15, 2008 10:05 am

we called them “hunkie hand grenades”

haha

keep up the good work on the Wii!

20. Dwight
    August 15, 2008 10:06 am

Mario is my hero! Love it!

21. BIGGEORGE
    August 15, 2008 10:13 am

I’m not sure of the spelling of name of
    the cabbage rolls, but I think it sounds
    like “go lump key”.

22. toni
    August 15, 2008 10:19 am

I’m Polish too……golumpki

23. Eric W
    August 15, 2008 10:34 am

Sports teams should not be subsidized by governments unless, like the Packers, they are actually owned by the citizens. Kudos to Mario for his brilliant bluff and shame on the city, county, and state governments for shitting bricks over a hockey team when more pressing problems, like the sorry state of public transportation, are flushing the region down the toilet.

24. princess_poddy
    August 15, 2008 10:50 am

At the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (“The only Polish restaurant in Little Italy), they’re galobki.

25. Sean
    August 15, 2008 10:52 am

Eric W, I get your point; there are pressing matters and public transportation should be at the forefront. But I wouldn’t be so quick to shame the city, county, or state governments. The economic hit a city (really the entire region) can take when a major pro sports team leaves the area can be devastating. Even if it’s a bad team like the Pirates, or a team with low revenue earning power. The Pens are a hot commodity right now and nobody can argue that we didn’t need a new arena, The Mellon is falling apart. It’s about more than just the team.

26. DisplacedFromPitt
    August 15, 2008 11:23 am

My polish friends in pittsburgh had one name for it and their moms would say, you can just call it “pigs in a blanket.” To which I would always make a lame joke about hot dogs in crescent rolls..

27. Mark
    August 15, 2008 11:24 am

I think people ahve to remember the new arena is not just for the Pens. I don’t think people realize how many concerts skip over Pittsburgh because of an inadequate venue.

Yay for the groundbreaking. I can’t wait to see steel start rising.

28. Cindy T.
    August 15, 2008 11:26 am

#4 I just had lots of nagging thoughts on this one from the beginning. Why would you leave young children and babies by themselves for any amount of time? Where weren’t your baby supplies down in the room with the kids? 30 minutes to change a baby — that’s a little long. I believe the seven year old was coached (actually I think frightened into saying she did it) to say she did it by adults that know that a seven year old will not go to jail because of her age. I just heard KDKA report that although the caregiver was given a lie detector, the results were not given. Detectives please keep digging. The truth will be revealed.

29. W. A. Schrift
    August 15, 2008 11:50 am

The correct Polish spelling of (#2) is gołąbki (singular: gołąbek). The “holupki” spelling is Slovak.

Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go%C5%82%C4%85bki)

30. Bram R
    August 15, 2008 11:59 am

Sigh. I just don’t get it. I’m probably less outraged at Mario for having the chutzpah to attempt that (business deals require negotiation), than I am at everyone else for falling for it (“Do whatever it takes!” is such an intelligent thing to say out loud during negotiations).

Hello, commenters – Mario just said we would have gotten the arena anyway at a much more reasonable price. What you are celebrating is not that you were used to “save the Penguins” or used to get a shiny new multi-purpose arena for the city, but used only for grabbing maybe fifty to a hundred million more dollars for enjoyment purposes while the grabbing was good. No, I do not understand at all.

31. ark
    August 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Let me be the 32nd person to say, “it’s halupki”.

PittGirl, nothing on the Olympics?? I was sort of expecting a self-union to Michael Phelps to pop up. 90% of the time I think he’s super cute; the other 10% I’d still hit that if we could put a paper bag over his head. Sometimes, he just doesn’t look cute. But those abs……

mmmm.

32. Brendan
    August 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Though 32 people have said “halupki,” let me the minority voice of truth and proclaim the true name of such delicacies:

Hunky Hand Grenades.

Not honkey!

33. allison
    August 15, 2008 1:34 pm

My dad refers to them as hunky hand grenades.

34. Mrs Pitsberger
    August 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Ark and Eag…I’m partial to Ryan Lochte my own self. I love a man with a sense of humor.

35. retiredguy
    August 15, 2008 2:00 pm

I’m German, but growing up in dasahside, we had Polish neighbors who ate Golumpki (pronounced gowumpki). They also raised ducks for czernina. They also had rabbits. My sister thought they were pets.

36. BFranklin
    August 15, 2008 2:07 pm

One memorable wedding I attended in my big Polish family included the announcement “the golumpki are under cooked. If you haven’t already, please don’t eat the golumpki.” You can’t make that stuff up.

37. eag
    August 15, 2008 2:08 pm

B. Franklin… that is the best Pittsburgh wedding story I have ever heard.

38. ark
    August 15, 2008 2:42 pm

eag: hellllo, michael phelps’ crotch.

39. maxtalbot
    August 15, 2008 3:05 pm

BFranklin, that is not only the best wedding story I ever heard, but one of the best Pittsburgh stories I’ve ever heard. I’m crying here.

40. Arika
    August 15, 2008 3:06 pm

haha red rocket!!!

41. In Sewickley
    August 15, 2008 3:52 pm

I want a Wii.

42. Larry
    August 15, 2008 5:00 pm

My family is mixed Polish and Slovak, and the Slovak side called them “holubtsi”.

Of course, I bet you’re all dying to know what holub means in Slovak, and GOŁĄB means in Polish…?

No, really — you do; especially you, PittGirl…!

It means ***pigeon*** (or dove, if you prefer). So, the original meaning of the name for this is “little pigeons”.

See? I knew you really wanted to know!

43. Goob
    August 15, 2008 6:38 pm

In Lithuanian, stuffed cabbage is called Balandėliai, which roughly translates as “little pigeons”.

44. Xena
    August 15, 2008 7:03 pm

I don’t want the latest news about baby Marcia’s murder to get lost in the halupki shuffle. First, so the caregiver passed a lie detector test. There’s a reason that lie detector tests aren’t admitted in court. They aren’t reliable. And they can only measure what they are asked to measure. Did they ask her if she had her boyfriend over? Other friends? A very sick and evil person in that house killed that baby. It would be nice to know who it was.

Zappala is starting to look like an asshat to me.

45. Different Brian
    August 15, 2008 7:47 pm

I am half Polish and half Slovak… I grew up calling them Porcupine Balls. And dammit, thats what I’ll call them till they throw me in the clay!

46. Magnus Patris
    August 15, 2008 8:07 pm

I’ve heard that some people have started calling stuffed cabbage, “Santonio’s Donkey Omlets”. They’ll be on sale at every regular season Steelers game.

47. Still A Fan
    August 16, 2008 7:53 am

halupki for sure….no fire hall wedding is complete without ’em

48. joest73
    August 16, 2008 11:26 am

“Pigs in the Blanket” or just “Pigs” is a Johnstown term that has made its way over to Pittsburgh. A wedding reception that doesn’t serve “Pigs and Rigs” (Stuffed Cabbage and rigatoni) in Johnstown, PA… well just isn’t worth attending.