Three.

So we’ve done country and we’ve done Latin-American music.

Dudes, bust out the jazz hands and wiggle those spirit fingers because I’m about to go all musical theatre on your asses.

There are certain people on the planet who I look at the fruits of their labors and say, well, he/she clearly got in line twice when God was giving out the talent and then went and stole some talent from other people which explains why I cannot sing or dance.

People like Michael Phelps, Josh Groban, Mikhail Baryshnikov.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, the fly in Maxwell Sheffield‘s tea, is their king. Particularly for my number three pick for JoBeth, which made the honorable mention lists of readers Virginia and Thee Dude, both rule-breakers by the way.

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera Original London Cast

There was never a Broadway soundtrack I bought prior to this one, and there’s never been another after worthy of the space on Diggory. Every song holds you.

If you’ve never listened to any of this show, I suggest you watch this video from the Tony Awards in 1988 in which the incomparable Michael Crawford and the angelic-voiced Sarah Brightman sing a selection of songs.

My absolute favorite song on the CD is Music of the Night so you can imagine how thrilled I was when David Cook chose to sing that on Idol. He’s got a great studio version that you can hear blaring out of my car on any given day.

Like this morning. (Wasn’t me.)

Tomorrow, Number Two, which now that I’ve been listening to it more lately, I really should have put it at Number 1. It’s that good.

Here’s a hint:

higher, higher, higher

1. spoon
    August 18, 2008 11:38 am

Eh I might as well admit to it now. I actually own the Toronto soundtrack from when I saw it in 1993 or 94. I always had a thing for “All I Ask of You”. This chicka back then and myself listened to it quite often.

heh, in fact I have the CD here at work.

2. cityworker
    August 18, 2008 12:03 pm

my favorite part is from the last song when there are just those one chord notes that build up. i love it.

3. emstef23
    August 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Excellent choice…

4. Rachel
    August 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Number two?

IS IT GREASE?!

5. Jeff the Speech Therapist
    August 18, 2008 1:25 pm

I have to say, I’m still a sucker for my much-loved, nearly worn-out-side-one-track-one, $.25-at-a-garage-sale version of Jesus Christ Superstar’s OCR.

My one friend– a Burgher named Betsy– told me the the part on the OCR where the centurian dude is whipping Jesus skipped the one time at her folks’ old place in Hampton. When she yelled out the name of their family’s poltergeist (…yeah, that’s another story for another time…), the CD stopped skipping.

Wack.

6. retiredguy
    August 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I saw Phantom twice in Toronto. I have the Original London Cast CD. I love Sarah Brightman’s voice.

7. J
    August 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Jeff the Speech Therapist, YES YES YES!! JC Superstar was actually one of my top 5. My mother used to play it when I was growing up all the time. I remember singing along to a tape (possibly 8 track) in a rental car in Florida circa 1978 while my dad was doing some Air Force trianing thing down there. Its been a steady favorite through all my other music phases, from Madonna, to the Cure, to Grateful Dead, to Singer Songwriters to Hip Hop and Rap, JC Superstar never gets old and never fails me!

8. Thee Dude
    August 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Rachel, “Born to Hand Jive” was the first thing that popper in my head, too. I thought for sure I would be the only one. I hope we are right!

Sorry, PG, I used to be a goody-two-shoes until of late. I will try to be on the straight and narrow in the future!

breaking the law, breaking the law!

PG, I will sing Little Lotte/The Mirror for you at karaoke for Friday happy hour at the Smithfield Street Cafe.

9. Rudy
    August 18, 2008 9:35 pm

I added the soundtracks for Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables to my collection at about the same time, and listened to both quite a lot. I don’t remember which album got a headstart on the other in my listening, but in the end, I took a real shine to Les Miserables, and felt that (for lack of a better term) it was a more “mature” and deeper musical. Nevertheless, Phantom in its own right is still a great listen.

10. chrys
    August 19, 2008 12:25 am

Phantom… that was my very first musical I ever saw.. saw it in Toronto. And it is one of 2 musical cds I own. (Bombay Dreams rocks too!!)

Does anyone else love Michael Crawford?? His voice melts me.. ~sigh~