The post in which I write the F word. Don’t tell my dad.

That nutjob professor that mooned that potty-mouthed Pitt professor at a national debate match has been fired from his job.

Rightly so.

The PG then went to Pitt to find out what’s up with the investigation into Shanara Reid-Brinkley’s behavior that day.

Of course, Pitt was tight-lipped. So the PG got smart and reworded their question:

Asked whether a Pitt professor’s use of profanity in a public setting would be at odds with university policy, Mr. Fedele had no immediate comment and said he would inquire further.

Do you think Mr. Fedele is going to go thumbing through Pitt’s policy booklet all:

Hmm. Hmm.

Okay. Chapter 3:  Public behavior while acting in an official university capacity. Here we go. Okay. Right there. See, it says, “It is quite all right with us if you would like to get up in another professor’s face and say fuck a lot. Chest bumping, earring removal, hair restraint removal, and the vaseline-ing of your facial areas most susceptible to bleeding is also acceptable by University Policy.”

Case closed.

She’s so fired.

1. chrys
    August 22, 2008 1:13 pm

This whole “situation” is ridiculous. The story even made CNN. I think both professors should be fired. They were both completely out of control. It’s laughable Mr. Fedele feels he needs to “inquire further”…Maybe he should simply watch the video.

August 22, 2008 1:48 pm

wonder if ms. reid-brinkley would play the race card again upon getting canned.

hmmmmmmm…..

3. JP
    August 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is hilarious, and quite amusing to watch, but I am not sure why it so unbelievable and raises such ire. I mean $hit like this happens in the work place all the time. Haven’t you ever seen a big office blowup before? I have seen much, much worse on the trading floors of a couple of the world’s most important financial institutions and nobody ever got canned over it. This took place at a college student debate, nobody was hurt who cares ?why should anybody lose their job? What’s the big deal? I will be the first to admit that academics sometimes takes themselves too seriously, but I think you are guilty of a similar offsense here.

4. Julie
    August 22, 2008 1:57 pm

With all due respect, JP, higher education and private business are two totally different industries, with significantly different policies and expectations.

5. JP
    August 22, 2008 1:59 pm

not really

6. Stuck in Bama
    August 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Gonna have to agree with julie on this one, an PUBIC university is there to help educate young adults and help them grow into mature adults, NOT bring in as much bank as possible (altho sometimes i wonder about that)…what happened at that debate goes against everything a PUBIC university should stand for, and yes, she should be canned…do you honestly thing ANY of her students will EVER be able to take her seriously again??

7. Stuck in Bama
    August 22, 2008 2:14 pm

oh, and i cant spell…”PUBLIC”, sorry…see what that university (Pitt) did for me

8. TK
    August 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Stuck in Bama:

The way they behaved, you spelled it right the first time.

JP:

Just because some people in business behaved badly does not justify bad behavior or bad behavior by people trying to mold young adults into MATURE adults. Read: MATURE adults not adults acting like MANURE.

9. JP
    August 22, 2008 2:29 pm

eh maybe, but it those people where all adults it is not like they were children. Unprofessional? sure, A public apology warranted? affirmative, but canning people over a blowup like this? lame. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it was filmed and went viral and maybe that neither of them had tenure. I have seen arguments just as bad in the faculty department where I worked as a undergrad at Pitt back in the day. I am pretty sure I saw a poli sci prof at Pitt threaten to kick the $hit out of one of his colleagues as far as I can remember nobody was fired

10. JP
    August 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Oh man you guys are a bunch of nancies ;-)

11. Magnus Patris
    August 22, 2008 3:11 pm

I can see a new t-shirt design; PUBIC UNIVERSITY. Home of the Fightin’ Crabs

12. Christina
    August 22, 2008 3:17 pm

All I can remember from reading this article and the comments are “Pubic University”. I just snorted outloud at my desk.

13. Erin
    August 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Fifty bucks says Reid-Brinkley doesn’t get fired. Grrr.

14. nasty²
    August 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Personally, I think they should both be canned.

Not because either of them “blew up” but because of the way they did it. There can be heated arguments without grievous profanity and mooning.

The bottom line is, they’re professors. They’re educating people and in turn should act educated themselves. If they couldn’t think of a better argument than “f this, f that, f you” and “here’s my ass, watch me slap it” then they shouldn’t be professors in the first place.

15. chrys
    August 22, 2008 4:39 pm

While I agree blow ups in the work place happen often it’s not everyday when one is caught on video. We live in a “big brother” world where anything you do can end up on the internet. Unfortunately for both of these professors, they were “caught” on video. Tuition is on the rise and people will not tolerate spending that kind of money and seeing and being embarrassed by such antics. I think it’s a no-brainer, Pitt has to fire Shanara Reid-Brinkley.

16. mayor luke sucks
    August 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Fort hays is a great school. $171 a credit!

17. Xena
    August 22, 2008 10:20 pm

What happens to Reid-Brinkley may depend on her contract status. If she is tenured, it may be difficult to fire her. While her behavior was ridiculous and unprofessional, if she has an otherwise exemplary record, she may well argue that this was an isolated incident. The other professor came from a smaller institution. He was an assistant professor and thus probably didn’t have tenure. So his nine minutes on You Tube cost him his job. And of course, he showed his butt to his students. Students hear the F word all the time from many people, most often each other. But they aren’t supposed to see faculty butt.

That doesn’t mean faculty can act like a guest on Jerry Springer. She should show some class, hand in her resignation, and get some help.

18. Caryn
    August 23, 2008 9:07 am

Stuck in Bama – Loved the Pubic University reference, and I assumed you did it on purpose until I saw the correction message – definitely funnier in the original context.

JP – While you may have seen such behavior and the perpetrators were not fired, that doesn’t make it right, and if I blew up that way in my profession, I would be fired OR sent to rehab, lol. In their chosen profession it is a worse sin, and it is a shame it took You Tube to bring it to the attention of the higher-ups. They both need serious counseling after their terminations.

At least she didn’t moon back – why is it that men/boys love to moon? – what is up with that urge? – it is a little homoerotic. You don;t see women mooning people..or young girls…not generally anyway. Men love any excuse to show their junk – oh, sorry that would be the Asshat I’m talking about….but then, according to Whirl, he is a choir boy. Whirl needs to wipe their nose after ass-kissing the Asshat. Anything to get a Steeler on the cover!

19. Insider
    August 23, 2008 9:44 am

Shanara won’t get fired. The Department is backing her and the University fears she will sue them.

Sorry~there will be no consequences for her.

20. Insider
    August 23, 2008 9:47 am

By the way, he is tenure she isn’t. She is on tenure track, but does not have that status yet. She didn’t even complete her PhD until this past Spring.

21. nel
    August 23, 2008 11:03 am

Years ago, before they redid the public dock in Erie, it was a pretty seedy area.
    The L fell off the Public Dock sign.The whole four years I was up there for college the sign said “Pubic Dock”.
    Even after 30 years, every time I go up there I still call it that.

Both professors should be shown the door. Shame on Pitt. Maybe if this is kept on the front burner, they’ll do something.

22. Burgh Wanna Be
    August 24, 2008 9:20 pm

If I were to act like that at my job. I would be fired in a heartbeat and escorted out the door and would have my personal items mailed to me. Maybe all three should be fired.

23. Julie
    August 25, 2008 8:20 am

Insider: unfortunately you’re probably right. Although since she’s only tenure-track, one would think it would be pretty easy to let her go.

24. gunnlino
    August 25, 2008 9:38 am

They both demean the title “Professor”, there was no respect shown and none given.
    My feeling is Pitt will just try to let it die away, he’s gone and she would scream racism the second anyone says anything about her being fired or punished.
    Pitt knows that and anyone that denies that is not in touch with reality.

25. Dr. Bill Shannahan
    August 25, 2008 10:20 am

Total bummer.

26. Alison
    August 25, 2008 12:58 pm

well, as a pitt student, i’m just glad i dont have her for any of my classes.

it would be really hard not to laugh.

27. wsk
    August 27, 2008 10:21 am

an out reach problem that can be so expansive that it brings a street negro onto campus should be applauded.
    we love seeing the local females acting with the dignity of feral cats in the big o at three thirty.
    and this woman is, somehow, associated with forensics?
    she’d be hard pressed to write a coherent essay, in english, covering eight pages, on a subjct not touching her life.
    oh, black studies prof. gotcha.
    we’ve seen pitt drag itself from a school regarded as a solid ‘D’ to where it sniffs becoming a ‘B-‘.
    and, then, this noisesome afterbirth.

28. not stuck on obama
    October 15, 2008 1:56 pm

“Despite serious provocation, such language was unprofessional. I apologize for any embarrassment I have caused the university,” Reid-Brinkley said in statement issued by the school. Bull she is not sorry! and the other post saved 50$… They will never never fire Reid Brinkley.. Diversity before justice.

She was out of control and unprofessional. Her racist paranoia will continue to indoctrinate any weak minded students at PITT! She should have been fired.

No excuses for that kind of behavior! She was not provoked, and she should have taken her greivance to the appropriate committee if she felt slighted for not being chosen as a judge for that specific debate.

Shame Shame on her!