Different.

This is Smokin’ Hot Burgher Sonni Abatta this morning. Something seems … different.

I’m not imagining this right?

UPDATED to add side by side:

August 26, 2008 9:46 am

c’mon, PG — can’t you just go across the news room and ask sonni herself? you ARE ken rice after all, aren’t you?????

I think that her nose looks different, not as long and straight down as before. but, that can be done with makeup, according the ladies I know.

personally — I don’t care. you keep on keepin’ on, sonni!

2. efw_west
    August 26, 2008 10:07 am

Someone should email this question to Rob Owen.

3. deegazette
    August 26, 2008 10:08 am

Not one comment about how she performs her job? With enhancements or without? With big hair or not?

4. E.B
    August 26, 2008 10:18 am

Now she looks like Sonni Bono

5. Good Chad
    August 26, 2008 10:22 am

As long as she doesn’t undergo that Robert Downey Jr./Tropic Thunder surgery she’s alright with me.

6. OK
    August 26, 2008 10:58 am

All right – I can’t let this go by without saying something. Sonny could be beaten to a pulp and consume a whole bottle of “ugly” pills and she still would not look as bad as Sally Wiggin does on one of Sally’s best days. OMG, how could anyone even conceive of that notion.

Sonni looks great. She is a beautiful young lady and very talented. Sally wishes she had the looks and talent.

7. Cindy T.
    August 26, 2008 11:03 am

I noticed it right away yesterday — her hair is looking gorgeous like she was off doing Pantene commercials

8. lostinpgh
    August 26, 2008 11:17 am

Maybe the station got a endorsement deal for nose, jobs, chemical peels and lifts. I did notice she looked a little off yesterday.

9. Sooska
    August 26, 2008 11:30 am

It looks like every nose job I have ever seen. Her nose is totally different. Maybe she had a deviated septum that required this for health reasons? We can only hope she isn’t doing anything like cosmetic surgical enhancements. sheesh. Sonni DOES look like Sally Wiggin. BTW Don’t dis Sally just because she’s getting older.

10. joey
    August 26, 2008 11:57 am

Not one comment about how she performs her job?

————

Puh-leeze. She’s a trained monkey telepropter reader. Her job is, literally, to sit there and look pretty.

11. Sooska
    August 26, 2008 12:06 pm

why joey? srzly? we are discussing her looks here.

PG- My husband Pensbob thinks it is really Valerie Abati who has body-snatched Sonni Abatta a la the aliens and is wearing a mask.

12. Ravishing Rick
    August 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Some people on here are just out right Ignorant

13. rickh
    August 26, 2008 12:15 pm

I don’t see much difference in the photo, but I didn’t see the newscast. She takes care of herself and still looks good to me. Certainly better than most around here.

14. Ravishing Rick
    August 26, 2008 12:29 pm

60.joey said …

Not one comment about how she performs her job?

————

=====================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
    Hey “joey” I bet your some office geek who sits in their

15. wshicldtel
    August 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Confirmed through very good source and close friend of Sonni (Emilio) that she had nothing done. Quote, “those are her God-given beautifil attributes”

Yes the hair style and color are new but the nose, lips, brows are all hers courtesy of genetics.

16. wshicldtel
    August 26, 2008 12:33 pm

ooops……

beautiful

17. DW
    August 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Noticed it right away, couldn’t put my finger on it until the side by side here.

Bottom line, I don’t care what she had done, she’s an attractive woman in my book. My only question would be why have something done (if she did)? She didn’t need anything. That high def must be a bitch for people on TV!

18. Kevin
    August 26, 2008 12:35 pm

She kind of looks like Marsha Brady after she got hit in the face with the football.

19. Summer
    August 26, 2008 12:37 pm

I wonder when Sonni herself is going to drop by and assure everyone that she’s had no work done.

I’m just curious to know why she looks so aggrieved in the photo on the left.

20. joey
    August 26, 2008 12:50 pm

I love comment boards…so many tough guys. RR, you missed the mark, but have fun in your little fantasy world.

Morning news anchors…whether they be boys or girls…are telepropter readers. Their job is to sit in front of the camera and look pretty for all those nice folks getting ready for work. Their job is not to make news, investigate news, or annoy the nice viewers, a-la Val A. Maybe they get thrown a puff piece every once in awhile. Otherwise, just read those words on the teleprompter.

21. joey
    August 26, 2008 12:51 pm

P.S.: Eight more losses, and the Pirates will match the professional sports record with a 16th consecutive losing season.

Woo Hoo!

22. TheTruth
    August 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey “joey” I bet your some office geek who sits in their
    cubical and bashes women all day, care to repeat the above mentioned comment to my face?
    -RR

Address

23. mcsmooth
    August 26, 2008 1:04 pm

She’s still a fuckin’ tart.

24. Dave
    August 26, 2008 1:12 pm

re: people saying she had “a rough night”: this is the second morning in a row that she looks “different”. I caught the “new Sonni” yesterday morning and immediately noticed that she had too much makeup. It is kinda hard to tell just looking at the photos PittGirl posted, though. Maybe she did have a nose job and is wearing more makeup to cover up any side effects? Either way, it’s not simply coincidence that she just got back from “vacation” and looks different.

25. Monty
    August 26, 2008 1:20 pm

“Some people on here are just out right Ignorant”

So good it hurts.

26. cheryl
    August 26, 2008 3:11 pm

I just finished reading Eleanor Schano’s memoir, Riding the Air Waves : five decades in the public eye – about her struggle as a woman, to be accepted in the all male news industry, where a male newscaster can look old, fat, bald, rumpled – but a female one is judged by her youth, beauty and weight. Since she’s in her mid 70’s, I think she would look at this situation, or lack of situation, with Sonni and realize that we have not come a long way, Baby.
    btw – check out ELEANOR’s current photo – hard to believe she was born in 1932, dontcha think?
    btw2 – the book wasn’t that good –

27. John
    August 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Yeah…something with her nose. When she turns to the side her nose is DEF bigger…not sure why she would do that though…

28. B
    August 26, 2008 7:24 pm

I noticed the heavy-handed make-up .. maybe a cover/distraction for nose work?

29. steelcityfan
    August 26, 2008 11:35 pm

WHOA! Pittgirl I am just as stunned! I think she looks totally different. Like WHO ARE YOU and WHERE IS SONNI?

The photo on the right was like Patty Burns-ish in a great way. “I’m a seriously beautiful and brilliant, take-no-crap anchorwoman future news mogul.” She was fantastic and sophisticated.

The New Sonni on the left looks like she just tiptoed off the set of a Pantene Ridiculous Volume Shampoo commercial. She’s still hot, but now in an unapproachable male fantasy kind of way.

Sonni, I liked your look better when you looked like someone friendly walking down the street through The Neighborhood. Not the dolled up walking down the catwalk look.

30. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 27, 2008 7:12 am

I dont know…I HAD to check her out this AM to see what the hub-bub was…(yes…I did just say HUB and BUB in the same sentence….)

Im saying no to the nose job and yes to an intern from the McKees Rocks Dance Academy doing her make-up…not Sonni’s fault

I feel honored to be the 80th post to this….man we all need to stop worrying about this crap…

Thats church…Preach it!

31. Brian
    August 27, 2008 7:58 am

We watched this morning too, and the bridge of her nose looks swollen. Something awry.

That said, and I am as guilty as everyone else (thus I scold myself too), WHO CARES?! Let’s let this woman do her job in peace, and if she had work done, she had it done. It’s her life. I feel like a big jerk for participating.

32. emstef23
    August 27, 2008 8:32 am

she looked normal during last night’s 5pm news broadcast…so maybe they are trying to spice it up in the morning??

33. OK
    August 27, 2008 9:13 am

Hey, nothing against Sally Wiggin personally. She is just not very attractive and when I am watching the news and she comes on I quickly grab the remote.

Sonni is a beautiful young lady who bears absolutely no resemblance to Sally.

34. Pingback: Sonni Abatta « Scribbled Noise

35. Danimal
    August 27, 2008 12:45 pm

maybe she went out drinking with Keith Jones last night and had one yard too many..then they went 4 wheeling and she hit her face off the dash in a drunken stupor.

36. Ravishing Rick
    August 27, 2008 1:41 pm

thought her and Ken Rice were an item

37. Jim
    August 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Real classy response, Danimal.

38. Ashlee Simpson
    August 28, 2008 12:30 am

I noticed right away that Sonni looked different. She usually goes natural with her make-up so the dark eyeshadow at 5am made me wonder if her vacation was suspicious. She claimed she had only a few hours of sleep going into the Monday morning show which is hard to believe after a 2 week vacation (she worked the evening newscast as well later that day). Not only was her make-up darker, it seemed like there was brusing around her eyes/nose. I thought I was going crazy but clearly something is up. Maybe she is trying to look fake to land a better job or a promotion. I think it was Keith that said to her “gone for TWO weeks, you must know someone high up.” HAHA.

39. Ravishing Rick
    August 28, 2008 12:48 am

maybe it was her with Don Cannon or Paul Long eating macaroni and cheese and drinking Boones Farm Strawberry Hill Wine

E&j Gallo Boones Farm Strawberry Hill 750ML E&j Gallo Boones Farm Strawberry Hill 750ML
    A refreshing taste of ripe strawberries with a hint of sweetness. Wine.
    Add to Shopping List $4.99
    Grand Wine Cellar

4.5 stars

4.5 stars

4.5 stars

4.5 stars

4.5 stars
    43 seller ratings

40. Lance
    August 28, 2008 8:08 am

Just proves that she is a fake bimbo!

41. DA
    August 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Sorry, but she is pathetic!

42. Dan
    August 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Please come to WTAE and put Sally Wiggin out to pasture.

43. DA
    August 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Atleast Sally isn’t a plastic surgery nightmare

44. Lance
    August 28, 2008 10:08 pm

She’s not trying to look fake, she just is. Now there’s proof.

45. Nancy
    August 29, 2008 5:57 am

It sure looks like a nose job to me. This reminds me of Jennifer Grey’s (Dirty Dancing)nose job. It removed her individuality and made her generic and ordinary-looking. I never thought Sonni was a great beauty, but she looked fine before. She just has such an angry way of delivering the news that I find I can’t watch her, with either nose. I think she believes that anger makes her credible. Or something.

46. wsk
    August 29, 2008 8:29 am

which is the before, and which is the after?
    all of our favourite levantines tend toward wide noses, cumbersome eyebrows, and a tendancy to add weight after sniffing phyllo.
    she is quite cute.
    and god rest–soon, please–, her agent’s little pointy head, this blog will be material to confirm that she is a) among pittsburgh’s most trusted news personalities b) has an enviable record of showing up for work most non-rainy days c) people recognize her name; in her coming contract talks.
    ksw

47. YouRKidding
    August 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Sally is just a nightmare (period).

48. Izzygator
    August 29, 2008 5:42 pm

I was noticing the same thing too and then Rob Owen had this to say to readers today…

Q: It looks like Sonni Abatta has recently had some cosmetic surgery. She looks a little different lately.

— Ruth, 43, Brookline

——————————————————————————–

Q: What’s with Sonni Abatta’s face? Did she get a nose job?

— Mark, 37, Pleasant Hills

——————————————————————————–

Q: What’s up with Sonni Abatta? She looks — different — and I can’t quite place it. I know she was off for a couple of weeks on, ummmm, “vacation” — but something tells me, as the side by side pic shows — that something is “different.”

— Rob, Jefferson Hills

Rob: I feel for Abatta and now know what it must have been like for women to live through the Salem Witch Trials. One person (in this case, Pittgirl) yells “Witch!” (in this case, intimations that led her minions to exclaim, “Nose job!”) and suddenly everybody and his brother is seeing witches (a nose job).

TV news anchors are in the public eye, so even a slight change in appearance, as was the case in this instance, is going to get people chattering. But imagine for a moment if you were judged on your appearance even though you got into your line of work for something else entirely. Not a great feeling.

My understanding is there were just some changes to hair and makeup. That’s also a far more logical explanation. Abatta isn’t even 30. Why in the world would she need to get work done? A medical procedure perhaps, but my sense is that was not the case.

Abatta’s response to viewers’ nebby speculation: “My work is my priority. Thanks for watching KDKA!”

That’s a disappointing response and one that will only ensure people continue to chatter and speculate.

While news anchors are entitled to a private life, they put their appearance forth every day as part of their job and that’s bound to invite scrutiny. The best way to defuse rubbernecking is to respond directly — don’t dodge the question — and have fun with the ridiculousness of the inqueries.

49. KDsux
    August 30, 2008 9:34 am

Exactly, her response says it all. She had a nose job, brow lift and botox. This comes directly from the doc’s office. BTW-no one watches kdka unless they want to see a train wreck!

50. Ravishing Rick
    August 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Sonni got the world and including the male population in the Burgh at her finger tips !! no need for this I know guys who watch the news just to see her they could care less about whats going on in the Burgh or in the world they just want to see her in her Natural Beauty !!!! why she would have to change looks at such a young age is beyond any realm of thinking that I know, she should enjoy what she has and to hell with what everyone says

Rick