Random n’at.

1.  Ta Ta the Grant Poobah came up for a visit for the long weekend, which resulted in lots of shopping (IKEA, Trader Joes, Steve and Barry’s and other places that aren’t convenient to her where she lives).

Ta-Ta (or Poo as Tina Fey now calls her) brought her daughter M and son J with her and M was all, “Aunt PittGirl, I heard you got a WiiFit.  Bring it to Grammy’s so I can play it!”

So I did.  She played it.  My cousins played it.  Kids played it.  Sisters played it.  BILs played it trying to outdo each other on the ski jump.  They all created their own Miis so now my MiiPlaza looks like a frickin’ rave is going on.  I’m expecting MiiTa-Ta to start a mosh pit soon.

Anyway, when my niece stepped onto Fitty and Fitty rudely took her through the body test, as he is wont to do, he asked her for the year of her birth and the year was defaulted to 1975.  So M starts clicking the up button.  Up.  Up.  Up.  Up.  1980.  Up up upupup.  1985.  Upupupupupupupup.  OMG.  STOP!

1996.

I can’t express to you what it did to me to see that number staring back at me from my mother’s LCD TV.  Mocking me all, “Wow.  You are sooooo old.”

I said out loud, “1996?!  Really?!” and turned around to stalk into the kitchen where Pens Fan, who is two years younger than me, was standing and had also watched the numbers tick up.  She stood silently with her mouth hanging open a little, then she snapped her lips shut and looked forlornly at me.  “I need a drink.”

Thank God there were Sauza margaritas to numb the pain.

2.  You know what you need?  In addition to some Carne Asada from Trader Joes, which BEST MEAT EVER, and in addition to probably more sleep, you ALSO need $20,000.

Heck yeah.

What you do is enter the Pittsburgh Innovates contest!

Pittsburghinnovates.com is a collection of students, small business owners, university faculty and entrepreneurs who have an innovation with a connection to the Pittsburgh region. The community and other people with an interest in innovation in Pittsburgh rank the best idea. In addition, a team of judges from various technology and innovation industries will judge the entries. The community choice Award winner gets $10,000 to help their idea grow. The judges’ award winner gets $20,000 to jumpstart their innovation. Have a new technology or innovation? Go ahead, post away.

Justin Kownacki of Something To Be Desired fame and PodCamp fame is on record in the forum that he’ll help out any Burgher that needs it to best present their idea.

Some recent entries include KeepOn, our favorite little yellow dancing marshmallow who is still hoping they’ll soon make him a girlfriend named S’goin’on, as well as a service called MeetMe which helps Burghers link up at parties.

I have a specific recollection of several emails I’ve gotten over the last year or so from Burghers who have been behind innovations that would be perfect for this.

Go apply.  Tell them PittGirl sent you and that she would like ten percent of whatever you win.

KTHXBAI.

3.  I’m thinking maybe this CMU grad Johnny Lee might want to enter for his badass Wii hacks.

How much do I heart the human brain?  I was watching that YouTube video and Johnny Lee became more attractive by the second until finally at the five minute mark I was like, “David Conrad WHO?!”

Luckily the video ended before Johnny completely brainwashed me against my future best friend.

(h/t The419)

4.  The Pittsburgh Sports League is honoring Randy Pausch in a really fun way:

Inaugural Randy Pausch Memorial Flag Football Tournament.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Learn more here.

(h/t Jaime and Sandra)

5.  Joe Biden is a Steelers Fan, he says, thanks to a generous act from Dan Rooney back in the 70′s.

(h/t MountaineerHoo)

6.  Did Chad Hermann REALLY quit his blog?

Really?

I am sad because while Chad and I probably agree on things maybe 2% of the time, I absolutely love reading him rant until I’m pretty sure I can hear the vein on his forehead throbbing.

I’ll miss that comforting thump-thump-thump-KABLOOEY! sound.

7.  Apparently some place on the web has linked to my post about the local Burgh mom that sells handmade fabric menstrual pads (I’m laughing just typing that, it is so absurd) because suddenly the green moms are out in force over there, defending their lifestyle and calling the lot of us “morons.”

The Menstrual Mom herself even chimes in with answers to your questions.

She specifically addresses some of you by name, so check it out, you morons.

8.  I have nothing to say about how very very very much the Buccos of Suckitude suck and how much they make me want to put angry scorpions in their jockstraps.

1. Good Chad
    September 2, 2008 9:21 am

8/28/08 – a day that will live in infamy for racists, misogynists and average intellects everywhere.

September 2, 2008 9:31 am

#5 — cool story about the rooneys — totally doesn’t surprise me. now, if biden could help them figure out how to sell the team….

#6 — bah. I can’t read blogs written by dudes named “chad” anyway.

#7 — my name is unsatisfied — and, I am a moron — though, “crocheted tampon woman” didn’t bother to address my old comment on there. I am disappointed.

#8 — hey, PG — instead of angry scorpions, how about liquid heat, like the tri-lams did to the adams college football team?

3. Lyon Advocate
    September 2, 2008 10:08 am

Chad’s an attention whore in need of an audience above all else. My prediction: his family will get sick of his bitching to them instead of to the “world” through his keyboard, he’ll change his name to Asno Gordo, and he’ll be back by the end of the week.

4. Joe
    September 2, 2008 10:28 am

#5 – the article states ‘Old Mr. Rooney” — Steelers owner Dan Rooney — dispatched some players from his championship team’. This occurred in 1972. As in before they were champions.

I am sorry that Mr. Biden lost his wife and child but I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

September 2, 2008 10:45 am

“angry scorpions in their jockstraps”

Parts of me just shriveled up and tried to climb back inside.

6. TheTruth
    September 2, 2008 10:58 am

They are politicians. They all pander to their audience.

Case in point: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/11/mccains-steelers-story-doesnt-add-up/

7. retiredguy
    September 2, 2008 11:51 am

Ha! Scrappy joe from Scranton. He’ll tell you whatever you want to hear, as soon as somebody else says it or writes it down and he steals it.

Christ Almighty, he can’t even go bald with dignity.

8. Summer
    September 2, 2008 12:38 pm

Wow, angry scorpions. Remind me not to piss you off, PittGirl.

9. J
    September 2, 2008 2:50 pm

If it makes you feel any younger, I just turned 40 over the weekend. I feel ancient. I was talking to my best friend from elementary school and we just can’t figure out how it happened. I mean just a few years ago (like mabye 10) we were running around my back yard and it was the 70s. Shit, college couldn’t have been more than a few years ago. What’s worse? My oldest is about to turn 17. Even allowing that I was unconscionably young when he was born, that still makes me REALLY REALLY OLD! My doctor told me to cut down on the salt, caffeine and alcohol because my blood pressure is too high. And wii sports called me 78. Seventy. Eight. (The 38 I got the day before was completely nullified by that.) I think at this point I want to INCREASE the alcohol for sure, which can only lead to an increase in salt (drunken munchies) and caffeine (one does have to work).

How in the hell did I get here?

10. retiredguy
    September 2, 2008 3:58 pm

40? Man I’d kill to be 40 again. I’m 50.

September 2, 2008 5:11 pm

retiredguy, I’ll go you one better: I’m 51. At least you have retirement working (um, not working?) for you. I’ll be in my cubicle till I die.

You wouldn’t be Dave W., would you?

12. Sarah
    September 2, 2008 5:54 pm

Oh YEAH?! Well I’m 31!
    Wait, I’m doing this wrong. . .

13. gunnlino
    September 2, 2008 7:42 pm

Please, I know it’s a ripe area for content and comment but we can find political bullshit many many places, do we have to turn to it here, on the hallowed ground that Pitt Girl ( Her Hallowed Hotness ) has previously decreed as a non-political arena.
    I mean the serious shit is sickening, but the local stuff is to the point of becoming a SNL skit. Keeps me entertained !

14. retiredguy
    September 3, 2008 6:32 am

bucdaddy,

I don’t know who Dave W. is, but I am a friend of Bill W.

September 3, 2008 9:47 am

Dave W. is a friend of mine who recouped enough from a terrible tragedy to retire at roughly 50. Just wondered if by chance he had wandered to here.

PG: I call shenanigans. I refuse to believe these “Ta Ta” and “Tina Fey” persons actually exist without photographic evidence. I’m looking at you, Saucy.

16. addie
    September 3, 2008 10:28 am

Hooray for Trader Joe’s! That carne asada is off the hook, seriously. We just had it last week. The chicken version is pretty good, too. I don’t know what I’d do without TJ’s.

True story: the last time I went to Giant Eagle – had to grab some things before heading out of town, didn’t have time to make it to Target – I got accused of shoplifting. Never again, Giant Eagle! Never again!

17. john
    September 25, 2008 1:18 pm

“I don’t remember precisely, it was either the 23rd or Christmas Eve Day, I’m not sure, I think it was the 23rd, while I was, one of the few times I was away from their bed for a couple hours,” the Delaware lawmaker recalled. “I came back and they, they looked like they had lighted up like Christmas trees. My one little boy was in traction and the other little boy had a seriously fractured skull and they were happy, and they each had separately, they had a football in their beds…”

At that point, Biden paused, with the whole high-school gymnasium silent as the senator choked up behind the podium.

“Excuse me,” he said, as the audience then filled the silence with applause.

“Anyway,” Biden continued. “I said, ‘Guys, where’d you get the ball?’ and they said ‘Daddy, Rocky Bleier gave it to us.’”

Art Rooney Sr., Dan’s father, had sent Bleier, the Steelers fullback, to Wilmington to present the young Biden boys with a get-well gift.

“Mr. Rooney Sr., Dan’s dad, had, without any fanfare, without, without any announcement, without anything other than his incredible decency…,” said Biden, trying to continue but stopping again to wipe away his tears.

Now the story changes.
    Just Rocky Bleier?
    but wait the best part is that on December 23, 1972 the Steelers were a little pre-occupied that day with playing Oakland!!!!!!!!! and Miami the following week!!!!!!

Switch to our mobile site