1. Ta Ta the Grant Poobah came up for a visit for the long weekend, which resulted in lots of shopping (IKEA, Trader Joes, Steve and Barry’s and other places that aren’t convenient to her where she lives).
Ta-Ta (or Poo as Tina Fey now calls her) brought her daughter M and son J with her and M was all, “Aunt PittGirl, I heard you got a WiiFit. Bring it to Grammy’s so I can play it!”
So I did. She played it. My cousins played it. Kids played it. Sisters played it. BILs played it trying to outdo each other on the ski jump. They all created their own Miis so now my MiiPlaza looks like a frickin’ rave is going on. I’m expecting MiiTa-Ta to start a mosh pit soon.
Anyway, when my niece stepped onto Fitty and Fitty rudely took her through the body test, as he is wont to do, he asked her for the year of her birth and the year was defaulted to 1975. So M starts clicking the up button. Up. Up. Up. Up. 1980. Up up upupup. 1985. Upupupupupupupup. OMG. STOP!
I can’t express to you what it did to me to see that number staring back at me from my mother’s LCD TV. Mocking me all, “Wow. You are sooooo old.”
I said out loud, “1996?! Really?!” and turned around to stalk into the kitchen where Pens Fan, who is two years younger than me, was standing and had also watched the numbers tick up. She stood silently with her mouth hanging open a little, then she snapped her lips shut and looked forlornly at me. “I need a drink.”
Thank God there were Sauza margaritas to numb the pain.
2. You know what you need? In addition to some Carne Asada from Trader Joes, which BEST MEAT EVER, and in addition to probably more sleep, you ALSO need $20,000.
What you do is enter the Pittsburgh Innovates contest!
Pittsburghinnovates.com is a collection of students, small business owners, university faculty and entrepreneurs who have an innovation with a connection to the Pittsburgh region. The community and other people with an interest in innovation in Pittsburgh rank the best idea. In addition, a team of judges from various technology and innovation industries will judge the entries. The community choice Award winner gets $10,000 to help their idea grow. The judges’ award winner gets $20,000 to jumpstart their innovation. Have a new technology or innovation? Go ahead, post away.
Some recent entries include KeepOn, our favorite little yellow dancing marshmallow who is still hoping they’ll soon make him a girlfriend named S’goin’on, as well as a service called MeetMe which helps Burghers link up at parties.
I have a specific recollection of several emails I’ve gotten over the last year or so from Burghers who have been behind innovations that would be perfect for this.
Go apply. Tell them PittGirl sent you and that she would like ten percent of whatever you win.
How much do I heart the human brain? I was watching that YouTube video and Johnny Lee became more attractive by the second until finally at the five minute mark I was like, “David Conrad WHO?!”
Luckily the video ended before Johnny completely brainwashed me against my future best friend.
4. The Pittsburgh Sports League is honoring Randy Pausch in a really fun way:
Inaugural Randy Pausch Memorial Flag Football Tournament.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
(h/t Jaime and Sandra)
5. Joe Biden is a Steelers Fan, he says, thanks to a generous act from Dan Rooney back in the 70′s.
6. Did Chad Hermann REALLY quit his blog?
I am sad because while Chad and I probably agree on things maybe 2% of the time, I absolutely love reading him rant until I’m pretty sure I can hear the vein on his forehead throbbing.
I’ll miss that comforting thump-thump-thump-KABLOOEY! sound.
7. Apparently some place on the web has linked to my post about the local Burgh mom that sells handmade fabric menstrual pads (I’m laughing just typing that, it is so absurd) because suddenly the green moms are out in force over there, defending their lifestyle and calling the lot of us “morons.”
The Menstrual Mom herself even chimes in with answers to your questions.
She specifically addresses some of you by name, so check it out, you morons.
8. I have nothing to say about how very very very much the Buccos of Suckitude suck and how much they make me want to put angry scorpions in their jockstraps.