Tasting their own medicine.

From InfoShop News:

This week the National City Bank branch on Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh was attacked with iron bars. We damaged the front windows, smashed out the side windows, and destroyed the ATM. The reason we chose this target is obvious. It was an attack on a symbol of the entire capitalist system of exploitation. Primarily, however, we chose to carry out this attack as an act of solidarity with our friends and comrades who are fighting in Denver and the Twin Cities against the conventions. For those of us who cannot be there, this is the least we can do to stand in solidarity with you. We hope that this action inspires you and lets you know that you are not alone. We know that comrades all over the country are carrying out actions like this in solidarity, and we know that there will be many more. Fight your hardest, and we’ll do the same.

It don’t stop.
20 shot glock wit the cop killaz
Fill ’em to the top.

-Anarchist Flying Squad
Pittsburgh

And also:

A late evening stroll got a bit hectic tonight. You know how these things go.

Multiple squads of anarchists attacked banks and corporate businesses throughout Pittsburgh. Windows were smashed and walls were painted. Numerous other symbols of capitalist control were targeted, including the destruction of an ATM. We hit targets in multiple yuppie neighborhoods, acting in solidarity with those taking action against the RNC. Preemptive repression will not go uncontested.

Just another night on the town.

Have fun in St Paul!

Its Monday September 1st. Let’s rock this shit.

I am so confused.  Aren’t you confused?

Do you have any understanding at all why bashing in the windows of our banks that hold OUR money, rendering useless the ATMs we use to access OUR money, painting ugly on the buildings that dot OUR streets, attacking “yuppie” neighborhoods full of people that worked hard to earn THEIR money, has anything at all to do with whatever the hell it is that these dumbasses are so angry about?

And if I don’t understand it and YOU don’t understand it, wouldn’t it be safe to say that maybe their methods aren’t working? Isn’t the point of protest to send a message?  What message is this they are trying to send?  Hi, I am a criminal and i do not like this ATM?

It makes no sense.

My new goal in life is to go to one of these “raids”, find the car the anarchists arrived in, beat the ever loving shit out of the thing, and then when they return to the car, find it smashed in and me standing there with an iron bar and my husbands for protection, and they say, “What the hell did you do THAT for?!”

I’m going to shrug my shoulders and say, “You figure it out.”

Then as the five of us are walking away, David is going to say, “Forsooth, they are full of sound and fury, but they signify nothing.”

Then Daniel is going to call behind us all, “Get it?  Get it?  You guys destroy things for no reason that we can discern and she destroyed your car for no reason that you can discern.  Get it?  HAH!  Losers.  [turning to me] Can I go back and punt one of them into the ATM?”

Permission granted.

1. Elle
    September 2, 2008 11:26 am

Did this actually happen? WTF?

2. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 2, 2008 11:32 am

I guess we should be happy that they’re not lobbing molatov cocktails at each other in the street like some groups did in Rome this past weekend.

3. John
    September 2, 2008 11:34 am

Poor National City…first the whole mortgage backed securities thinkgy…lower stock prices and now one of their ATMs was attacked..for love the love of pete ..stop the maddness

4. John
    September 2, 2008 11:35 am

Poor National City…first the whole mortgage backed securities thinkgy…lower stock prices and now one of their ATMs was attacked..for the love of pete ..stop the maddness

5. retiredguy
    September 2, 2008 11:37 am

Spoiled little mask wearing poser punks. They put on the black clothes mommy and daddy’s money pay for, jump into the car mommy and daddy bought them, drive off the campus mommy and daddy’s money sends them to school at, fill up with gas using mommy and daddy’s credit card, and break a couple windows because, well windows don’t fight back.

These morons would survive an anarchist society about as long as it would take someone to shoot them and take all their shit. About 5 minutes.

6. beaner
    September 2, 2008 11:45 am

I have a couple of checking accounts at National City and if these little punks are also customers, I totally understand why they did it. :)

7. Bram R
    September 2, 2008 11:46 am

FYI, for me this isn’t like graffiti. This is terrorism, if you want to put a finger on it.

And another FYI I’ve got no truck with the anarchists’ issues, they just need to reread Saul Alinsky and think about why they’re doing what they’re doing with the juvenile destruction. Your internal catharsis is not a strategic objective.

8. Wineplz
    September 2, 2008 12:11 pm

We have some poser kids that demonstrate each year for the World Bank stuff. One of the DJs from a radio station here sent his gopher, armed with Febreeze, to ask them questions. He reported back that most of them were dressed in more expensive clothing than him and several openly admitted their parents actually paid for their clothes and the cars they drove to the demonstration. Wonder if it’s the same with your hoodlums there.

9. John
    September 2, 2008 12:13 pm

The really stupid part is that when you attack a bank, it is a federal offense, and the FBI dosent fool around with this kind of behavior.

10. chrys
    September 2, 2008 12:15 pm

I heard that the majority of the “anarchists” are children.. 14-15 yr olds. I don’t think I’ll ever understand it.. I guess it is mob mentality and boredom? Maybe if parents paid more attention to their kids instead of giving them things we wouldn’t have a bunch of animals running the streets without any respect.. for themselves or for others.

11. C.S. Keys
    September 2, 2008 12:18 pm

These douchebags represent no one

12. TC
    September 2, 2008 12:20 pm

“We’re going to show up those capitalist pigs and bring the whole system down!”

How?

“By committing mild acts of vandalism upon a local branch of a bank!”

And that works how?

“The manager is going to be upset. He’s going to have to file an insurance claim and wait for the check, and hire a contractor to fix the window, and his insurance rates are going to go up!”

And that brings down the system… how?

“Well… it… um… hold on. I had it… I can’t remember where… well, I wrote it down, but it was really good.”

But why this bank?

“Have they ever charged you $120 for overdrawing my account with four charges that their computer authorized when it knew you didn’t have that money?”

Sold. I call first brick.

13. lostinpgh
    September 2, 2008 12:21 pm

Yuppie? What is this the 1980’s?

14. Bram R
    September 2, 2008 12:31 pm

FYI there are some hardcore anarchists out there … living very independently, off the grid, wearing clothes that they own, growing their own food or dumpster diving quite possibly, not driving anywhere. Not sure if these types tend more toward the wanton destruction; I think they may tend more to presences and demonstrations.

So, don’t know if these were poseurs or not. Either way they were idiots.

15. Summer
    September 2, 2008 12:33 pm

@ retired guy

Do you think mommy and daddy are going to cut the check for the lawyer these kids’ll need when they’re arrested for terroristic threats?

16. Jim
    September 2, 2008 12:48 pm

So…wikipedia says:
    Anarchism is defined by The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics as “the view that society can and should be organized without a coercive state.” Specific anarchists may have additional criteria for what constitutes anarchism, and they often disagree with each other on what these criteria are. According to The Oxford Companion to Philosophy, “there is no single defining position that all anarchists hold, beyond their rejection of compulsory government, and those considered anarchists at best share a certain family resemblance”.

Sharing a certain family resemblence….could it be they are all inbred?? Sure would explain the behavior.

17. Sean
    September 2, 2008 1:33 pm

Anarchy is a word that is constantly overused. These people are probably nothing but vandals who call themselves anarchists without knowing what it means. Reading this reminded me of a poster I saw in Oakland almost 10 years ago: “Anarchist Organizational meeting, tonight 8:00 pm….” I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony.

18. Ed Heath
    September 2, 2008 1:57 pm

I actually understand anarchists to a certain degree. I think they would be better served by tutoring kids in poor neighborhoods and maybe working with the Bloomfield-Garfield corporation.

I didn’t catch where the PNC branch was. Penn Avenue is long, and winds throw some poor neighborhoods. If the anarchists did break the windows and ATM of a branch in East Libety or Garfield, that branch might not come back. That could be aserious burden on the residents of the neghborhood.

Anarchism is of course hugely silly. But some of these kids could grow up to be community organizers or something like that. Or they could live in their moms basement.

19. Sarah
    September 2, 2008 1:59 pm

I also dont understand why destroying the National City ATM is somehow related to taking a stand against the RNC.

I mean, I have my money at National City and I am not a Republican… so if their goal was to “show solidarity” for those protesting the GOP that makes no freaking sense.

20. LaReina
    September 2, 2008 2:23 pm

retiredguy hit the nail on the head. These silly little pampered punks wouldn’t know struggle if it knocked them upside the head. Spend a few years helping starving people in Sudan, then get back to me, assholes.

21. Schultz
    September 2, 2008 2:54 pm

This is disappointing news…not the vandalism, but the fact that anarchists are so unoriginal these days.

22. Zsa
    September 2, 2008 2:59 pm

Ed Heath hit the nail on the head – the only National City branch I can think of on Penn Ave isn’t downtown or in any “yuppie” neighborhood, it’s in East Liberty. This reminds me of when the Quiet Storm got rocks thrown through their windows.

If these dumb fucks need something to do with their time, they can crawl up the sides of the Steel Building and either steal the UPMC letters or rearrange them to spell “CUM P.”

23. Christina
    September 2, 2008 3:26 pm

I wish someone would actually do that. I would laugh at it everyday for the rest of my life.

24. Sarah
    September 2, 2008 3:45 pm

@ Christina – I would take a picture of that and sell it as a dorm poster. It would be wonderful.

25. retiredguy
    September 2, 2008 3:54 pm

Bram,

I’m sure there are a minority of people living off the grid, etc. More power to ’em. This is America and people have a right to live their lives however they want. Until they start breaking other people’s stuff and disrupting other peoples lives. The goofs with the black masks breaking stuff are just vandals. I’ve seen them scare the crap out of people and damage their cars, just regular people, not the “government” not “big banks”. And I’ll tell ya something else. When you grab them and start putting the cuffs on ’em, they cry and scream like little punks.

“Yuppies” I used to have a boss who lived in Wilkensburg. He called everybody in the suburbs yuppies.

September 2, 2008 5:08 pm

Sean, Heh. I think the same think when I see “Anarchy Rules!” spray-painted on a building.

Jim, Maybe “sharing a certain family resemblance” means, “young, white and stupid.”

27. bob
    September 2, 2008 9:50 pm

you said the S word

28. Christina
    September 3, 2008 7:17 am

@ Sarah – You would make so much money. It would be in frat houses everywhere.

29. Angie
    September 3, 2008 8:30 am

I’m confused too. What was accomplished? What did national city do to them? You damaged something that working class people need… I just don’t get it either. Losers… thats what they are

30. Angie
    September 3, 2008 8:50 am

Oh, and can anyone confirm any of this really happened? I can’t find a single news item. And i am even looking in the police blotter where they note even false alarms! http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/police/blotter
    A bank and atm being smashed up on penn ave would have drawn someone’s attention… maybe their are losers and liars.

31. Monty
    September 3, 2008 10:09 am

Blame the parents if you want to, but I think this behavior is the direct result of the youth of America being exposed to LaMont’s balls.

September 3, 2008 12:34 pm

Smashing glass and destroying ATMs? That’s a far cry from what a certain poet of no small renown said they should do:

Give a wrong time
    Stop a traffic line

Seems a healthier way of getting a point across.

33. Still A. Fan
    September 3, 2008 11:11 pm

great. go to school. get a degree. geta good job. get married to someone with a good job. have kids. move to a nice neighborhood where you dont have to worry about crime…..and the damn anarchists show up to baseball bat my mailbox. i would put a cap in the ass of the first little puny whiny $ an hour making idiot that thought they were going to make a statement by doing something to my property. all they need is for one person to grab them and shake the shit out of them and they’ll change their tune.

34. Matt H
    September 3, 2008 11:35 pm

These groups are a joke. They think they matter but they really don’t. All they do is break things and laugh about it. That’s something to be proud of.

35. brotherstrawberry
    September 4, 2008 8:54 pm

i have been battling with the Thomas Merton Center for months over their allying with the black garbed, hooded and masked members of the “explicitly anarchist” pittsburgh organizing group. while the New People newsletter fills every issue with pog events and calls for anarchy, they refuse to print my concerns about an organization founded in the name of a peace loving, pacifist, trappist monk aligning itself with those calling for the chaos, violence and disorder that DEFINE anarchy. i am not talking wikipedia definition

September 4, 2008 10:44 pm

Don’t know what I want
    But I know how to get it.

37. Pingback: Palin - patrick.lanigan

38. brotherstrawberry
    September 7, 2008 8:35 pm

so i remember during a march thru oakland at the start of this war when a group of black-garbed, hooded and masked “anarchists” pushed a recycling dumpster from behind a building overturning it in the street converting the contents into litter.
    that sound like a blueprint for a just and civil society?

how about the anarchist picnic with blindfolded children being encouraged to whack a police car pinata?

39. Tes
    September 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Angie, and others… yes it did happen. National city at Penn and Winebiddle in Garfield. First time front window and door; Second time four side windows and ATM

40. brotherstrawberry
    September 14, 2008 9:09 pm

looks sounds and smells more like fascism than freedom

or even anarchy