A light in the suck.

If I’m being honest, I gave up on watching the Buccos of Suckitude about two weeks ago.  I think it was when they lost their seventh straight or something?  I don’t know.  All I know is I saw the score and said, “You know, nothing is worth this misery I’m putting myself through every night.  Hanging on to some fading shred of hope that something will happen to show that these guys care.  Anything at all.”

Because I gave up, I wasn’t watching last night when my self-united husband Doug Mientkiewicz gave a couple of damns.

He gave a damn at 1:58 when he desperately swiped the ball from Miles’ hand and he really gave a violent damn at 2:26 when his angry words managed to empty both benches completely of their respective teams.

And if that wasn’t enough, because I quit reading about them too, I missed this:

“It’s tired,” he said. “I’ve only been here six months, and I’m already sick of hearing about the future. I know it’s important, but you’ve got to play well now. It’s frustrating. It is. We’re just going to have to keep plugging along, figure out who can play and who can’t. And everyone has to understand it’s a privilege to be here. It’s not given away. Give me 25 guys who fight. Give me that over talent. … Let’s win now.”

He has never been sexier than he is right at this single moment and it has nothing to do with his socks or his forearms.

This damn-giving.  It is a beautiful thing on Dougie and for that I shall apologize to him for turning my back on him and the team and I will promise him that from now on, I will once again place myself in front of my television so that I can witness those few small moments of shining awesome that we’re fortunate to find hiding within the giant mass of sucking suck.

(h/t Summer)

1. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Dougie is just an awesome person and he’s always been the type of player to recognize how hard it is to get to the majors and also sustain a career. There are way more players who have more natural talent than him, but boy does he make up for it with his work ethic and heart. I wish the Bucs had twenty five more like him. I hope the Nuttings realize that and bring him back next season.

2. Xena
    September 15, 2008 9:01 pm

“And everyone has to understand it’s a privilege to be here. It’s not given away. Give me 25 guys who fight. Give me that over talent. … Let’s win now.”

For a long time, my favorite Pirate was Jack Wilson, who endured mockery for being enthusiastic and playing hard. Mentkiewicz may be my most favorite since I self-united to Bob Walk (who once entered his rental car into a drag race during spring training, and who stunned many people (but not me) when he pitched a 2-hit complete game in the last NLCS the Pirates played in, back when Clinton was president. Thanks for passing this on. I had stopped watching, too.

3. steel wheel
    September 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I gotta tell ya as a Pirate and Tiger fan this has been the absolute worst season of all time. First my beloved Buccos have about met/matched the all-time mark of inequity. And my precious Tigers with all their preseason hype have sucked more ass than any vaccumme ever fantasized. For a long time I thought it was because of the unbalanced budgets of every team but the reality is flat out player evaluation, free agent selection and a little thing called coaching.

I watched the Stillers v. Browns game on Sunday night and it occurs to me that we have all lost sight of game management. I think the same is true for baseball. Not that Jimbo Leyland is bad in Detroit. I think the problem there is salary/ego. Plus, Leyland is burned out…PERIOD! In the Burgh I think we have a lack of baseball knowledge and a lack of care in the wheelhouse. This must end. Please can we simply bring a breath of life into both teams? I am only 39 but I would love to see my Tigers and Buccos on top of the Baseball world again. Both cities deserve it.

September 16, 2008 8:07 am

we need 25 dougies.

btw — they’re still shitty.

5. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2008 8:53 am

For the lone of all thats good and holy…sign him….then clone him

6. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2008 8:54 am

damn…gotta learn to proof read….love not lone…jeez

7. spoon
    September 16, 2008 9:28 am

“we need 25 dougies”

I think Mrs. Spoon would disagree ;)

September 16, 2008 10:00 am

“Give me 25 guys who fight. Give me that over talent.”

Um … I like Dougie, but give me serious talent and I will kick the asses of a team of Dougies eight out of 10 times. Maybe nine. Millions of jackholes out there know how to fight (though not necessarily fight well), as I’m sure any city cop would testify. A few hundred guys know how to hit major league pitching. Who you gonna go with?

9. pittgirl
    September 16, 2008 10:04 am

Bucdaddy,

I don’t think Dougie meant “fight” with fists. I think he meant fight for the wins.

YMMV.

10. lovesthenorthside
    September 16, 2008 10:08 am

although maybe if they had 25 guys who fought with their fists they’d sell more tickets.

11. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2008 10:16 am

regardless it would be entertaining….

12. Summer
    September 16, 2008 10:20 am

I just love his attitude. He’s got a never-say-die spirit that you can’t help to admire … even more than his arms OR his socks.

I’m just happy to see someone who gives a damn, even this late in the season.

September 16, 2008 10:26 am

@ spoon — huh? maybe it’s me gettin’ older, but not sure what yer drivin’ at.

@ lovesthens — wouldn’t it be great to go to a baseball game and have a hockey game break out? I’d pay to see that.

one thing about what dougie did — a-rod did the same thing in the world series and got vilified for it. probably cuz he’s a-rod…

14. Pensgirl
    September 16, 2008 10:42 am

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not a baseball fan (was when I was a kid but stopped even before the Pirates got bad), so what I think about this really doesn’t matter. But you’ve got to respect a guy like that. It’s that type of player who makes people remember what made them fans of a sport in the first place.

15. Kevin Young
    September 16, 2008 11:04 am

Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Twins.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Red Sox.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Mets.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Royals.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Yankees.

16. anon
    September 16, 2008 11:05 am

boy they suck

17. voice of reason
    September 16, 2008 11:22 am

“Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Twins.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Red Sox.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Mets.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Royals.
    Doug Mientkiewicz sucked on the Yankees.

And now this guy who has made a career of sucking is the brightest hope of a pile of suck during an epic stretch of suck????? Good luck with all that.”

“Kevin Young” saying this?

Pot, meet kettle.

18. Joe
    September 16, 2008 11:27 am

I like Mientkiewicz. He is an average player, especially at this stage of his career. On the right team (Red Sox, Angels), he might be a valuable utility player. On a team going nowhere, he does not have much value.

In this situation, what Mientkiewicz did is illegal and he knows it. He knows they can’t win so to show that he cares, he makes a fool of himself.

PG, if that gives you a warm feeling, that’s OK.

19. toni
    September 16, 2008 2:56 pm

The only light in this suck is produced by the smoker taking an illegal hit on a cig under the PNC ballpark stairs……

20. LMAO
    September 17, 2008 8:11 am

I LOVE DOUG! ALWAYS HAVE! I also love Nate for having a one-nighter with the overbleached dork, and then kicking her to the curb!

21. Hutch Jr
    September 18, 2008 6:42 am

We’ve had 20 Doug’s over the last 16 half seasons (it’s too tough to watch em after the all star break). A cubbies fan summed it up to me on the sixth street bridge (Clemente) after we dusted Chicago off in a double header. ” Pittsburgh’s the best minor league team in the majors”. That hurt dude, as truth often does.