Mission: POSSIBLE!

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals plans a 2 p.m. nude scene in Market Square Tuesday.

According to a news release, two female PETA protestors will shower naked together at the intersection of Forbes Avenue and Market Place.The group claims that eating one pound of meat is equal to taking six months of showers.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Go to the nude shower, take photos for PittGirl, be sure to get boobies in the photo so that I can satisfy the male readership tomorrow, email PittGirl the photos, pick up a Market Square pigeon, throw the pigeon at the women, run.

Go.

(h/t douglasderda)

1. Jagoff
    September 16, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for the heads up!

2. Insomniac
    September 16, 2008 11:55 am

You’re doing God’s work, PittGirl.

That’s Church.

September 16, 2008 11:57 am

if only I worked downtown.

damn.

it.

looking forward to the pix, though!

4. Summer
    September 16, 2008 11:59 am

Wait … the last time I checked, taking a shower was a good thing. Am I just stupid today or does this reek of WTFery?

Also, I’d love to be a fly on the wall of the police station after these two get arrested for public indecency.

5. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    September 16, 2008 11:59 am

So what is eating one pound of meat while taking a shower equal to?

Anyway, wouldn’t it be great if one of the pigeons crapped on the protestors?

6. educ8rshan
    September 16, 2008 12:04 pm

i, too, do not understand what eating red meat and showering have to do with each other.

7. pittgirl
    September 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I don’t either, but I hope to get to the bottom of that shit by tomorrow.

8. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Can we eat steak while we watch them shower?

9. sickpuppy
    September 16, 2008 12:26 pm

PETA sucks but I digress. They also don’t shower much or can’t do math worth a shit!:

10. Ralph Kramden
    September 16, 2008 12:40 pm

It’s a safe bet that we wouldn’t find them hanging out at the Rib Fest….

11. Sooska
    September 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Please help me. How exactly are 2 nude women taking a shower @ Forbes and Market illustrating anything but some nice bods and a portable shower stall and an excited crowd? How does 1 pound of meat = 6 months of showers?
    Is 1 night with Sidney Crosby = ice nine?
    Do madras plaid shorts = 14 brownies?
    Does Michelle Obama = 67 kerosene lanterns?
    Does a journey of a thousand miles = 112 cotton balls with peanut butter and chocolate syrup?

12. Jim
    September 16, 2008 12:48 pm

I’m sorry, I wasn’t paying attention. Did you say I needed to eat a 16 ounce steak and then shower with two women? Where do I sign up?

13. deejee
    September 16, 2008 12:53 pm

To try to give some balance, here’s PETA’s reference for 5000 gallons of water per pound of beef:

14. captain dummy
    September 16, 2008 1:13 pm

lets NOT all assume those women are hot, by the way! just saying…

15. Sparky
    September 16, 2008 1:32 pm

I was dissapointed….you could only see their heads popping out of some sort of shower contraption (think Karate Kid-Ralph Macchio halloween costume). I went with my mom, and all she could say was “Vegetarians are so strange….their poor mothers would be so embarrassed.”

16. dwight
    September 16, 2008 1:46 pm

1 lb. of meat equals 6 months of showers?! I never have to shower again!

17. Sue
    September 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks deejee,
    So, we should all become diabetics by growing and eating only wheat? Well shoot, lets have us a big old rib fest down at Heinz to get rid of those pesky invironment killing animals. Pigeons would have to be on the menu. Still dont get the shower thing though. Shock value I guess?
    I wonder… if the whole world were to become nothing but wheat growers and replaced all farms how much land would be needed and how much water for growing ? hmmm?

18. Steelheader
    September 16, 2008 1:50 pm

pittgirl:

I so accept your challenge. My bona fides are clear: I have killed pigeons, screamed at PETA protesters (their stupid holocaust = chicken farm campaign), and photographed naked girls.

I will supply the front line intel that your discerning readers demand.

Oh, and f— Ingrid Newkirk.

steelheader

19. retiredguy
    September 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Posers. They don’t really get naked.

Would be fun to go down there and throw raw hamburger at them.

Read an article yesterday about researchers in Oxford finding evidence that vegans and vegitarians have “brain shrinkage”.

20. gunnlino
    September 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Answer me this …..

Why did’nt these brave hearts shower at Heinz Field while the Rib Fest was in progress?

21. Elle
    September 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I think they’ve tried the not-showering-in-protest tactic without success, so now they’ve decided on a reversal of policy. When you’re taking your first shower in a loooong time, safety in numbers, right?

22. Matt
    September 16, 2008 2:10 pm

How much water do you use watering veggies?

23. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 2:28 pm

What do you people have against vegeens? Jesus Christ it is like going vegan is somehow a being a terrorist . This is the fattest most unhealthy place i have ever lived ( we could use a little less red meat around here for thew looks of the lard asses I see on my bus every morning.

24. Jagoff
    September 16, 2008 2:32 pm

From: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/20-superfoods-for-weight-loss-212436

Steak

Beef has a rep as a diet buster, but eating it may help you peel off pounds. In a study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women on a diet that included red meat lost more weight than those eating equal calories but little beef. “The protein in steak helps you retain muscle mass during weight loss,” says study author Manny Noakes, Ph.D. Try to consume local organic beef; it’s healthier for you and the environment.

25. Charlie
    September 16, 2008 2:35 pm

I’m seeing a scene from PCU being reenacted here…I really like the idea of throwing pounds of ground beef on them…

26. retiredguy
    September 16, 2008 2:42 pm

GeeBee

I have nothing against anybody, except people like those in PETA, who want to impose their dietary beliefs and their beliefs about the use of animals, on me.

I don’t care if they eat pine cones and howl at the moon.

27. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 3:03 pm

How are they imposing thier beliefs on you by having a publicity stunt, you know, you are not being forced to go just curious?

28. TBD
    September 16, 2008 3:10 pm

GeeBee,

What retired guy said… Do what you want but when you try to tell us what to do or turn yourself (or group) into a media whore circus expect there to be a reaction. See the whole fabric TP thread for comparison. Take a look around you, veg and vegan types are not all healthy and normal BMI size either.

Sorry I missed my burger throwing opportunity this afternoon ;^)

29. BIGGEORGE
    September 16, 2008 3:14 pm

GeeBee

I don’t like extremists.

I like vegetables. I also like meat. I
    don’t need some one throwing blood around
    to prove a point.

Extremists tend to attract sheep(if you
    will pardon the pun) who jump on the band
    wagon, pester everyone they can and then
    try to get laws passed that reflect their
    ways of thinking.

Like the smoking ban. I hate smoking, it
    killed my mother after she had quit for
    20 years and it was a factor in the death
    of a many of my relatives. I don’t think
    that students should have to go off campus
    to smoke. Hell, at main PSU you might have to walk a couple of miles to get there!! What if I walk off Pitt campus and end up on the CMU campus??

30. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2008 3:23 pm

I love animals…they’re delicious

31. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 3:24 pm

You people have some major agression issues, how is a peaceful demonstration extremist? How is that forcing you to do anything why would you feel the need to throw something at them? Is the sheer sight of them somehow threatening to you? I thought this was America where you where allowed to express your opinionyou guys sound like the taliban. (btw I don’t go for that blood throwing either and I am an herbivore) I am just shocked at the hatred you people have for vegitarians. Seek some counsling.

32. pittgirl
    September 16, 2008 3:26 pm

Geebee,

Perhaps you are taking us all a bit too seriously?

33. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 3:27 pm

No way pitt girl I am just bored, Don’t worry I do not take anything you write seriously.

34. anon
    September 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Questions:

How much water does it take to water vegetables?

What is more important, granting life or granting quality of life? Granting life or granting a long life? If we all stopped eating meat, wouldn’t there be a lot less cows, pigs and chickens in the world? THAT would be animal cruelty.

How many naked women does one pound of meat equal?

How many naked women does one point of soy equal?

Where can I become a member of People Eating Tasty Animals?

What would happen if I ate meat in the shower?

What would happen if I ate meat in the shower with two naked women?

What would happen if I ate meat in the shower with two naked vegans?

35. DW
    September 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Then why are reading the blog and posting, Geebee? I don’t buy the boredom excuse. If you don’t take any of it seriously (or PG’s blog), why post? Don’t you know we’re all haters (and unemployed bums living in basements) on here and instead of burning us up, the hate keeps us warm.

36. Joe
    September 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Geebee

The protest isn’t extreme, PETA is – it advocates the position that animals have rights. According to PETA, animal “rights” derive from the moral equivalence between man and animal.

37. Fan on his own dime
    September 16, 2008 3:52 pm

But with global warming, when the polar ice caps melt there will be all this extra water available, so what’s the big deal?

38. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Ha! I have hate in my heart too!

39. Geebee
    September 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Hmm the thumpers try to make the same arguement about blastulas I don’t throw meat on them.

40. Julie
    September 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: deejee’s post (#14) that provides a link to the PETA-side of this argument… the references in that article definitely don’t support a valid claim. The article listed one main publication and a book that’s more than 20 years old as evidence that maintaining animals for food depletes the world’s water supply. Only listing one, maybe two, biased and outdated sources for what I agree is an extremist argument is a huge red flag for bull shit.

41. Jagoff
    September 16, 2008 3:58 pm

I would pay to see that

42. retiredguy
    September 16, 2008 4:08 pm

I don’t care about their getting silly young girls to pretend to take showers in public. I care about their agenda and how that would affect me.

PETA equates eating animals with keeping black slaves and beating women. They want to ban meat, leather and using animals for entertainment. They want to ban animal testing and keeping pets, among other things they want to impose on me.

43. H
    September 16, 2008 4:08 pm

What I want to know is why are PETA’s protests always just naked females? Where’s the protest with the naked males? That’s a protest I would go to see! LOL

44. JReed
    September 16, 2008 4:19 pm

My boss and female co-worker work in PPG and we combined our starbucks run with a viewing of this PETA thing. My female co-worker and I agreed that they had to be wearing a bathing suit under the shower curtain but my boss disagreed. Anyway, we work on a floor in PPG that is high enough to see down into market square and my boss has a telescope in his office (long story). It was confirmed that they were indeed naked…now you can sleep soundly tonight.

September 16, 2008 4:40 pm

all this talk about meat is making me go out for a hamburger tonight.

46. Monty
    September 16, 2008 4:46 pm

PETA girls naked? Blechh. Think hedgehog in a leglock.

47. Still A Fan
    September 16, 2008 7:11 pm

who said we hate vegans? we hate PETA. i dont own any fur, but if my wife did and some a-hole threw red paint on her…..i’d kick their ass on the spot. now that’s aggression. do whatever you want without causing harm to others. i once went to a PETA nude sign thing at LOVE park in philly because my office overlooked love park and we saw a gathering. the only reason people were there was because they handed out stuff advertising it as NUDE. the girls had a backdrop and were then completely covered by the sign sans their faces. ….and if a chicken has to be tortured for me to have a chic-fil-a original…….

i tend to side with ron white who once said “man did not climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots”.

48. scottie
    September 16, 2008 7:21 pm

vegans do taste yummy… just sayin’…

49. Bugaboo
    September 16, 2008 10:45 pm

You must check out the add that WPXI put before the raw footage: