Random n’at.

1.  Are you guys going to the Steel City Derby Demons championship bout on Saturday to see the Bitch Doctors take on the Wrecking Dolls?

And have you seen this page of their battle scars? It is disturbing.  That black eye up there is one of the tamer injuries.

Note to self, these bitches are tough and can take injuries that would make the Asshat suck his thumb.  Do not ever insult them.

2.  New York has the Naked Cowboy.  Cleveland has this guy.  Why can’t Steelers fans be this classy?  Huh?

(h/t Mikey)

3.  You techies have less than a month to apply to AlphaLab.

AlphaLab is a catalyst for launching the next generation of software, entertainment technology and Internet-related companies. AlphaLab provides funding, hands-on business assistance, access to a network of entrepreneurs and expert advisors, and free office space as part of an intensive 20-week program in Pittsburgh.

Of their companies from last cycle, I’m particularly excited to see this one.

(h/t Woy)

4.  If Pittsburgh Neighborhood Narratives has not invited David Conrad personally to the premiere of the films, they are missing out because David Conrad LOVES Pittsburgh neighborhoods and he is going to love these movies.

Check out the trailer.

5.  Jon Stewart gives a shout out to Troysus’ hair.  A naughty shout out.  See 1:35 of the video.

(h/t Jared)

6.  Willie Parker is nominated for the second week in a row as Fedex Ground Player of the Week.  Go vote because he didn’t win last week.

(h/t Allison)

7.  Dougie is pissed.  Pissed!

Doug Mientkiewicz, fresh off kicking an equipment box in the aftermath of the Pirates’ flat-lined 6-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers last night at PNC Park, went for a brief walk beyond the clubhouse walls, tried to clear his head, then returned to sit at his stall.

The one constant: He never stopped shaking his head.

“I’m probably not the guy to ask right now because I probably won’t say … it’s just embarrassing. It really is. You’ve got three guys who run balls out right now. It’s frustrating. Just frustrating. The whole thing is frustrating.”

He was so mad that when he came home last night, instead of his usual sports butt-slapping, he punched Daniel so hard in the ass that a fight broke out between all four of them … with Doug throwing furniture, Daniel kicking, David punching, and Matt trying out his new Pterodactyl move.

The garden hose came in handy to break it up.

(h/t D)

September 17, 2008 10:01 am

Know what’s also embarrassing? Dougie slugs .375.

2. Mel
    September 17, 2008 10:20 am

Oh, just pathetic (yes, and sadly our Browns are too).

Cleveland seems to have a surplus of male strippers. And well, just idiots.

3. BIGGEORGE
    September 17, 2008 10:28 am

#4 I wish I was in Pittsburgh so I could
    see this film.

I miss ‘da burgh!

4. Jill
    September 17, 2008 11:57 am

hell yeah Im going to the derby. I also know who’s ass is pictured on the 2nd down on the left side. Do you suppose David will be there, I would guess probably not since the damn tv show is back on.

5. Summer
    September 17, 2008 12:18 pm

#1 – Those women are scary. They could put the boots to me, no doubt. Did y’all see the one with the bloody eye? Cringeworthy.

#2 – I just hope you haven’t cursed a stripping Steely McBeam into existence.

#5 – Jon Stewart was a vaudevillian in a past life; check out his expressions. I wonder what Troysus thinks of being compared to a bull’s unmentionables.

#7 – Dougie M = Love.

The guy has YARDS of guts. Please let it rub off on the other players during the offseason before the Pirates set a new record for consecutive losing seasons.

I know he’s not the most talented guy around, but he cares, and that’s a beautiful thing to see.

6. lostinpgh
    September 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Doug is probably my favorite player on that team. He calls it like it is and maybe he should start calling out names. It might be the jolt some of the players need. I like his attitude and how he actually gives a shit when others just quit.

7. Thee Dude
    September 17, 2008 2:34 pm

maybe we can have a drinking game every time Dougie says “frustrating”?

8. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Theres not enough liquor in this town if we had a game like that…especially with the drinking tax…I cant afford that!

September 17, 2008 3:52 pm

if there are players on the succos who need the kind of asskicking that dougie could give, I’m not sure that I’d want them on the team. they should be able to do it themselves. though, it’s obvious that they can’t, soooooo…..

10. JP
    September 17, 2008 4:13 pm

@bucddady no kidding, that guy yells and kicks stuff way too much for someboody who hit a whopping 2 homeruns and 29 RBI’s this year. I would take somebody who does his job quietly and effecitvely McLouth hits a nice .282 .517 slg and isn’t such a blowhard. I think a lot of female pirate fans like him because he reminds them of their fathers:loud blowhard types who are pretty average but make up for it by yelling a lot. Mientkiewicz does have an OK glove though.

11. gumbygirl
    September 17, 2008 8:17 pm

#2-Pittsburgh DOES have a guy like this…his name is Lamont

12. Mitch Cumstein
    September 17, 2008 9:44 pm

JP…I think you miss the point about fans’ endearment with Mientkiewicz. I’m sure he realizes that he’s not an All-Star, and they do too. It’s that he gives a damn. We’re getting a little tired of watching the players with more talent mail it in the second half of the season (or the whole season, for some of them). So what’s the statistical threshold above which players can show their emotions and express their desire to win?

Odd theory you have about female Pirates fans, by the way. You seem to revel in taking shots at Pgh even when it’s not relevant, I’ve noticed.

13. pittgirl
    September 17, 2008 9:48 pm

JP. I love Doug. I have heard my father yell one time in my whole life.

There ya go.

September 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I agree it’s easy to fall in love with a guy like that, to the point where you become blinded to the fact that for all the “fight” and “grit” and “determination” he shows, he doesn’t play baseball very well. He has an OPS+ of 99, which means he’s almost exactly an average hitter. Mediocre is another word for it.

15. pittgirl
    September 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Bucdaddy, you must agree though that the fight, grit and determination are what is needed on this particular team, in the hopes that some of it will rub off on the players that can put up the numbers that perhaps Dougie my love can’t.

AGREE WITH ME DAMN IT! ;)

16. JP
    September 18, 2008 6:24 am

I would humbly put forth what is needed on this particular team is a bullpen had some clutch sluggers not professional wrestling antics. I am glad you noticed Mitch. My completely gratuitous/unnecessary jabs at Pittsburgh are my way venting my anguish at agreeing to be transferred back to hoopyville 2 years ago after being away 12 years. What the hell was I thinking? Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

17. Summer
    September 18, 2008 7:04 am

I agree with you, PittGirl. The whole damn team needs balls transplants, cuz apparently Dougie M is the only one who has got a pair.

Just coasting along and not trying your hardest is NOT acceptable, ESPECIALLY when you’ve got a decade and a half of losing behind you. The fans deserve better, and if Dougie spurs the team into delivering it, then bless his heart.

18. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 18, 2008 7:47 am

The Buccos have no marbles…

The team is really starting to fashion themselves after the Indians in the movie Major League

September 18, 2008 9:23 am

@ dan (n.o.) — I agree. but, remember, at least the indians teams in those movies actually WON something.

maybe rachel phelps should buy the succos….

20. NY Luvs Pitts
    September 18, 2008 9:29 am

2. You know NY’s Naked Cowboy went to San Francisco and was arrested. I’ve been to San Francisco and they’ve got some nerve.

21. Mel Practice
    September 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Hey that’s me in that picture! I got that black eye when I hit the penalty box with my face, haha. Glad you made it out to the bout on Sat. Hope you had a great time!