Random n’at.

1. Last night while trying to look graceful doing the yoga Dancer pose, but looking more like the Drunk Emu pose, I pulled something in my neck and today I am all crooked and in pain.

Damn you, WiiSteve and your, “Don’t give up.  Hold the pose.  Your legs are shaking a little.  Use your core muscles to stabilize yourself, you unbalanced piece of shit.”

2. On a whim and realizing I had only some dude named J.T. O’Sullivan (WTF?) to play as my quarterback due to Peyton Manning’s bye week, I traded to acquire one Mr. Brett Favre as my backup quarterback for this week’s Yinz League Fantasy Football matchup.

And Brett Favre got me six touchdown.

Boo-ya!  PittGirl’s Minions are on the warpath.

3.  Is anyone flinging a virgin sacrifice into the mouth of a volcano in preparation for tonight’s game?  Benny is going to need it.  So is Mendenhall.

4.  Chad Hermann says, “See ya, suckers!” in grand Next Page fashion and even gives a little dig at those who hide behind their anonymity.

Touche!

5.   My self-united husband Dougie was voted by the Buccos of Suckitude as the team leader:

The majority choice of the vocal, emotional Mientkiewicz was no surprise … “Dougie’s the man,” Ian Snell said. “He’s been there for us every single day.”

Dougie is the man.  My man.  Step off.

6.  A writer for the San Jose Mercury News writes about the charms of the Burgh.  And if you’re drinking for the word confluence it’s your lucky day.

Ding!

7.  Speaking of the Buccos of Suckitude, Pedro Alvarez finally signed on with the team and I would just like to say to Pedro, “Welcome to The Suck!”

8.  Lukey is sick and has missed a few days of work because of it.

Get well, Lukey!  Make sure the Dread Lord isn’t just putting the juju on you.

9. LaMont Jones is going to be a judge for a Halloween costume contest and here’s what I need.  I need one of you boys to be LaMont Jones for Halloween and I need you to send them a picture of you wearing these.

Bonus points if you’re bald.

Extra bonus points if you’re Ken Rice.

KTHXBAI.

1. dahcheet
    September 29, 2008 10:20 am

If I knew any virgins I would definitely consider throwing them into a volcano (if one were available) before tonight’s game. Lets hope they worked out some of the kinks in their offense….

2. Grover Cleveland
    September 29, 2008 10:45 am

Does you know why WTAE keep messing with their scheduling? I mean I can understand not putting Sally Wiggin on the prime hour, given the use of their new HD technology and all. Best to keep Ms. Sally at a lower rated slot. Not dissing you Ms.Sally, but age isn’t a friend of HD. So this also don’t make sense because they mess with the super Hot, super tight Erin Keinzel’s timing. I mean, now I got to TiVo her at odd hours just to watch. Don’t make sensable to me.

3. white guy
    September 29, 2008 11:01 am

I dunno, is there a virgin in the ‘Burgh?

4. Charlie
    September 29, 2008 11:06 am

That article about Pittsburgh…it mentions the fountain shooting 275 feet up. Is that right? I don’t think I’ve EVER seen it that high…that’s 27 stories up! Something there doesn’t seem right…oh well.

5. LaMonty
    September 29, 2008 11:09 am

I’m not sure bonus points are worth it, because you pretty much would need to be bald to wear that suit.

6. Joey
    September 29, 2008 11:17 am

Grover: For those of us who have had the pleasure of seeing Erin K up close and personal, she is indeed “super tight”. She may be short, but damn if she doesn’t have a six pack on her.

Re: #4: Hermann lost me at “Blogs as we know them, or as some of us would like to know them — a place for open, serious, long-form debate and discussion — are dead.” WTF is he smoking? Since when were blogs a source of “open, serious, long-form debate”?

And his long-winded coda could be summed up thusly: the people who read blogs are idiots, and I don’t write for idiots, so I stopped writing. Dude needs to get off his high horse.

7. Pitt Bar Dude
    September 29, 2008 11:25 am

…and I turned down Favre in a trade. Damn, damn, damn.

8. ic lion
    September 29, 2008 11:42 am

Looks like your Mercury News Link is broken, which sucks cause I do love me some Burgh. If you are looking to get sloppy drunk off “confluence” though, I suggest tuning into the MNF commentary (instead of Bill & Tunch). Nobody loves the c-word as much as football commentators.

9. Ravishing Rick
    September 29, 2008 11:55 am

Off Again!!! whats a guy to do knowing your not at the helm my life is going down the toilet !!!!!!!!!

10. pittgirl
    September 29, 2008 11:55 am

Link fixed. ;)

11. maxtalbot
    September 29, 2008 12:37 pm

I’m crying. Even Ginny cannot bear to mention the Buccos of Suckitude by name:

“… by landmarks such as Heinz Field (home of the Steelers) and PNC Park (Pittsburgh’s retro downtown ballpark).”

Yes, Ginny, it’s true we go for the ballpark and not the on-field product. And Dougie.

12. Zsa
    September 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Joey: I concur.

On any blog, message board or (gasp) real life gathering place that attracts positive word of mouth, many more people are going to take part in it. The more people you have, and the longer it goes, the more it is likely to deviate from its beginnings. This is human nature – everything changes, as Kathy Troccoli so eloquently said. Why anyone thought blogging could escape it is a mystery to me.

September 29, 2008 12:59 pm

I’ll be at the confluence tonight — woohoo!

but, I guess I won’t be as drunk, since I won’t be able to hear the MNF crew say it, like, 143 times. it won’t be as fun just saying it to myself.

I will just be happy that I won’t have to listen to hank williams sing that stupid-ass theme song again….

14. ic lion
    September 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Slow Monday. . . so I’ve got to ask a few questions, some of which are fueled by the Mercury News article. I’m pretty new to TheBurghBlog (great inside look at the Burgh though, very impressed now that I live out of town), so I apologize if any of this has been discussed before:

— “more bridges (446) than any city on earth” I’ve seen this a million times before, but really? Can’t be within city limits, so Allegheny County? What’s a bridge? Dirt road over Pine Creek? I just don’t get it!

— “most livable city in America” this was as of May, 2007, I believe. Did Places Rated take the year off? Good for us!

— “One of the best views in America” Agreed, love Mt. Wash, but that view took a hit when they put “UPMC” on the USX Building. How much do people hate that, and when are we getting that taken off?

Oh, and one last thing. . . Steelers 17, Ravens 6.

15. Joey
    September 29, 2008 1:49 pm

lc lion:

You may have missed the memo….UPMC has taken over the city of Pittsburgh. Get used to seeing the logo everywhere.

In fact, I’d be surprised if Lukey didn’t start wearing UPMC-logo’d clothes, soon.

16. Bill H
    September 29, 2008 1:54 pm

ic lion, check this website http://pghbridges.com/ they make mention of over 2000 bridges of 8 ft span or longer.

17. ic lion
    September 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Just checked out some pregame reporting on ESPN.com and I think I see a Steelers logo in the middle of the field. . . surprising? Is Pitt playing the rest of their games this year at Perry HS?

18. maxtalbot
    September 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Joey, soon everything will come with a: “UPMC, the official sponsor of the City of Pittsburgh.” All resident cars will look like NASCAR cars with UPMC tags all over them. And …

Pitt should be required play the rest of their games at a HS Field until Matt Cavanaugh is gone. Off the top of my head, I can think of a handful of high school offensive coordinators who run schemes which are 100 times more exciting, complex and inventive than Matt Cavanaugh.

19. Papaya Jerry
    September 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Agreed with the comments on TWM. “I did this blog only because my students begged me to share my brilliance with the world, but the world didn’t adulate me when I did so. In fact, some heathen barbarians actually had the nerve to disagree with me. So I took my ball and went home.” Have fun ballin’ by yourself, CH.

20. Dennis Roddy
    September 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Chad Hermann went a-blogging with the same expectations that visit every educated person: people who can write back will do so with the understanding that words matter.

Some of what I have read on this site, with people accusing him of racism, woman-hating, and assorted other misdemeanors of the soul, left me with my own revelation. It seems that people behave behind a keyboard the way they do behind a dashboard. Demure grandmothers and church vicars suddenly become Alpha Types who will cut off a guy in a wheelchair if it gives them six inches of advantage.

I don’t blame Hermann for ditching the blog to preserve his faith in humanity. I regret not having his posts to read, becuase they were at once challenging to my own cherished illusions and a great pleasure to read because, dammit, the man can write. I just wish he had a thicker skin.

21. MiamiShyner
    September 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Btw, there have been 2 confluences before the game even started.

22. Maria
    September 29, 2008 8:07 pm

One of the announcers said, right after Skippy Skeeve’s field goal, something along the lines of, “all you Jeff Reed fans should look on the internet, there’s plenty of him out there.”

Everyone has seen Reed’s balls. Woo Pittsburgh!

23. TheJim
    September 29, 2008 10:07 pm

I stopped reading as soon as I saw Chad Hermann’s name.

24. Brian
    September 30, 2008 7:54 am

IC Lion, Pitt doesn’t play another home game until Oct. 25. That’s probably enough time for the rain and autumn weather to wash it away.

25. Bram R
    September 30, 2008 8:00 am

“Touche” is something you say when you’ve taken a shot at someone and he or she parries it by dealing you a shot in return. You were just innocently playing on your swing set when CH slammed anonymity. Get better at writing, PittGirl, or I’ll have to stop blogging.