Open wide.

Holy shit.

Mine subsidence?

Or GRABOIDS?!?!!?

Yikes.

1. Woy
    October 7, 2008 1:53 pm

Don’t move! Vibrations attract them!

Also – I didn’t know Burt Ward lived in Rostraver.

2. dahcheet
    October 7, 2008 2:30 pm

Oh, Tremors. How I love thee.

3. chrys
    October 7, 2008 2:32 pm

just one of those fun things western PA homeowners have to worry about.. mine subsidence. That picture is very scary.. it looks like something out of a movie.

4. Brother Anthony
    October 7, 2008 2:38 pm

Tremors was such a fun movie

5. John
    October 7, 2008 3:37 pm

I saw this same family on the news blaming a sewer / water crew that was installing a new pipe for this foundation damage. I guess it was something else.

6. MiamiShyner
    October 7, 2008 4:48 pm

Tremors. :-)

I can’t believe that this is still going on. I remember when I was in high school nearly 20 years ago (good God I’m getting old) and things started sinking. Scary stuff.

7. Burgh Wanna Be
    October 7, 2008 5:35 pm

It makes me think of the sink holes people have to worry about in Florida. Yikes!!!

8. Different Brian
    October 7, 2008 8:17 pm

Well done, PG. Tremors. And a check of that wiki link shows there were FOUR movies? Wow. For me theres only one, and its the original.

“What kind of fuse is that?”
    “Cannon fuse.”
    “What do you use it for?”
    “My cannon.”

Good times, good times. Thank you for that trip down EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO. Wow, we’re all old bastards.

9. Sue
    October 8, 2008 8:56 am

Oh the lovely Hostas plants arent going to make it.

10. Gunnlino
    October 8, 2008 9:13 am

The real crime in it all is the mining companies do not backfill the abandoned mines and the State and the Feds do not hold the companies responsible.
    Nobody much gives a crap either, until their house falls apart.

11. michael
    October 8, 2008 11:33 am

it figures the family would blame the sewer/water crew. suddenly they were geotechnical engineers? the daughter tested the moisture content while the mom got out her calculate and determined the angle of internal friction.
    the mining companies werent required by law to backfill the abandoned mines. the government of westmoreland county should create a special ordinance for development on top of abandoned mines, if they do not have that in place already. but then again, that would be asking a SW PA governmental body to actually be proactive.
    i dont care, anyway, its not in pittsburgh, let alone allegheny county.