Search like it’s 2001.

In honor of their 10th Birthday, Google brought out their oldest available index. 2001.

It is super fun to search.

1.  For instance, did you know we have Jim Leyland to thank for bringing Dread Lord Zober to the Burgh?

University of Pittsburgh student Yarone Zober sat aghast, and stared dumbfoundly while watching the “late-breaking” story unfold on his television: Jim Leyland, Pittsburgh Pirates coach has decided to leave the team at season’s end, after a total of 11 seasons. “I couldn’t believe it. My little brother and I are probably the Bucs’ number one fans. He’s the sole reason why our family moved here to Pittsburgh 10 years ago in the first place”, said Yarone, while watching Leyland fight back tears during the televised event.

2.  Sonni Abatta ran cross country for CMU and listed her hometown as McKees Rocks. Now she lists herself as a lifelong resident of Robinson Township.  Is that like calling the Hill District Westhampsminstershire?

UPDATE:

Dear PeeGee,

I did grow up in Robinson Township, but the mailing address is McKees Rocks.  (It’s the closest post office.)  I suspect when CMU culled records for the cross country roster they just listed what was on the transcript.

My parents are from the Rocks, though, so I have tons of family there still.  Nothin’ but love for both towns.

Representin’,
Sonni

Darn it.  I really wanted to have Woy send her the McKees Rocks Dance Academy shirt.

3.  Jeff Reed before he was Skippy Skeeve:

And Troy Polamalu before he was Troysus:

Hee.

4.  In 1999, Matt Lamanna was worried about his future.

Common or not, the nomenclature did not thrill Matt Lamanna of the University of Pennsylvania, who is going to help prepare the fossil. He told the Philadelphia Inquirer, “There is no way my scientific career is going to be associated with an animal called the urinator.”

How about The Defecator?  Would you be okay with The Defecator, Matt?

5.  Kordell Stewart was keeping up with his daily diary.

“Dear Diary, WTF are these things growing out of my neck?”

6.  The lucky residents of the City of Pittsburgh made do before Mayor Ravenstahl’s 311 Response Line by Asking Smithfield. Yes, Smithfield!

Is that supposed to be Andy Warhol as a teenager?

7.  Here’s an article I’m pretty sure Alison Morris wrote for the Yale Herald.  Or is THIS our Alison Morris?  I can’t tell.

8.  The Asshat lost a friend.

9.  Wendy Bell was a consumer reporter who had hair that was very Ellen and she only had one child at the time.

10.  And Kevin McClatchy wrote a nice little write up for the Pirates Report in which he defends Kevin Young’s performance and also says:

I said, in the beginning of the year, that I didn’t feel anybody was going to run away with this division, and I still believe that. Just as I say that, as we look at our division, I see we are 5.5 games out of first place as of (June 6). There is no way I would say we are in a bad position right now.

The fact we know we can play better, and that we are 5.5 games back, is actually a positive thing. So I look forward to better things as the season goes on, and I feel we will be competitive when it is all said and done.

Join me please?

(h/t Allison via Plurk)

October 7, 2008 11:04 pm

Sonni in short shorts and a tank top with a number on the front?

Oh my.

2. STL WENDY FAN!
    October 8, 2008 1:42 am

Pittgirl,

Thanks for the Wendy flashback. She is still as beautiful as ever!!

3. Sooska
    October 8, 2008 7:40 am

#2 I am pretty sure that KDKA used to run a promo starring Sonni’s grandmother who implied she was from Upper St Clair. I googled “Sonni Abatta’s grandmother” and “sonni Abatta” but could not find the video – only one reference to it in Rob Owen column. I did, however, get Google hits for Valerie Abati!

4. MiamiShyner
    October 8, 2008 8:09 am

#10. On a whole, they still sucked, but Kevin really is a nice person (that I had a huge crush on). He came into a restaurant quite often that I managed and he’s pretty down-to-earth and humble. Adorable son, wifey that didn’t dig me. HAHAHA!

5. jason
    October 8, 2008 11:23 am

why the venom to santonio? (maybe it was a blog entry i missed!)

ANY flashback on the pirates is depressing. yea, i remember what it was like to be young, to have hope, to have quality players…bill madlock, whatcho doin’ lately?

tell me troysus wasnt very cute!

6. Woy
    October 8, 2008 11:44 am

In light of #2, I think Sonni needs a McKees Rocks Dance Academy t-shirt.

7. JamieO
    October 8, 2008 12:44 pm

I enjoyed this little portion of Wendy Bell’s old bio:

“She says she’s here to look out for the little people.”

She loves us! She really does love us!

jason – do a search on Santonio Holmes here, and look for a PittGirlPost about a certain photo of him.

8. Sarah
    October 8, 2008 12:46 pm

Whoa. This google thing is creepy. As i usually do while at work, I google myself.

Except with today the only hits that come up are from an x-files mailing list I was on and lists my age as 13.

It’s fun to think that 1o years ago, I had done do very little on teh interwebs

9. John
    October 8, 2008 1:53 pm

My (late) father taught at Sto-Rox with Sonni’s dad, so she definitely has Rox ties.

10. jason
    October 8, 2008 5:49 pm

@ Jamie O — oh! you mean that hideous photo that cracked my screen?

i see….

the running theme on “skeeve” is hysterical. last season she shooped a photo of our kicker being congratulated after a FG: “excuse me, i see some sluts over there….”. pittgirl tickles my funny bone!

11. Erin
    October 9, 2008 9:17 am

Wow – that Google thing is … wow. This may be morbid, but so weird that there’s nothing about 9/11 (obviously – it’s just weird NOT to see it, and to see normal articles about the WTC). Eerie.

October 9, 2008 11:40 am

I used to know one of sonni’s fellow track teammates — damn it. would have been good to get some scoop, along with any existing pics. will have to see if I can track her down….

I think she should still get a “mckees rocks dance academy” shirt, though — it’s only right.