Random n’at.

1.  Happy Columbus Day.  That day of the year when we celebrate the fact that we don’t live in Columbus, Ohio.

Ba-ba-bah!

2.  Ok.  I’m loving the weather.  I know I was a whiny bitch about it last week, but as a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind without a moment’s notice and expect you to just accept it as part of my charm.  Being a woman is the best thing ever.  I feel sorry for you men.

Anyway, because of the weather, Mother of PittGirl had a family dinner yesterday and served a delicious Sunday meal on her deck.  As we were sitting under the giant red umbrella, gulping down the last few bites of chicken and veggies and sipping down the last few sips of red wine:

Brother in Law:  [leaning back in his chair and patting his stomach, looking over at me]  Carrot cake.

PittGirl:  [gasp!]

Brother in Law:  I could go for some carrot cake.

PittGirl:  Dude.  You do not say the words carrot cake unless there is carrot cake to be had.  I thought you were offering me some carrot cake.

Brother in Law:  Well, there is no carrot cake.  Go get some.

PittGirl:  You should have texted me to pick up some carrot cake when you texted me to stop and get the rolls.

[silence]

Brother in Law:  Apple crisp.

PittGirl:  [gasp!]

Brother in Law:  I could go for some apple crisp.

PittGirl:  Grrr.

I settled for an Oreo.  How disappointing for me.  Wanting carrot cake and getting an Oreo is like wanting David Conrad and getting Skippy Skeeve.

3.  While we’re talking about carrot cake, have you ever had the tiny little shot glasses of carrot cake at PF Changs?  Heaven.

4.  Really, because the words were spoken, I will need to have carrot cake in the next 48 hours or I’m going to become a whiny bitch again.

5.  I’m guessing most of you have seen this commercial by now because it has been posted on lots of blogs, however, in case you haven’t … best Troysus commercial ever:

(h/t SteelersKidd, Bob, the419, PK and anyone else I missed)

6.  What we already know:

I am well aware that the Packers, Raiders, Cowboys and Redskins, just to name a few, have great fans who pop up in away stadiums every time their team is on the road. Trust me, it does not compare to Steelers fans. I have played for some of those teams and it is not even close. The Steelers have the best fans in the NFL.

That’s church.

(h/t Lisa)

7.  I think my mother used to have some of these Weight Watchers cards around the house.  Funnier than the cards are the author’s remarks.

(h/t Rachel)

8.  I love bloggers that make me spew my coffee.  Here’s a local blogger that I just discovered, MindBling.

I am sitting there daintily chewing a bite of scrambled eggs when it hits me. I. Am. Going. To. Sneeze. Shit. You know you can’t stop it, it just makes it worse, so I cup my hands over my face, tuck my chin in and hope for the best. ACCCHOOOOOOOOO. “God bless you!” says the entire
table.

I can feel the eggs on my face and hands, and I look down, and my entire breasticle region is covered in mangled bits of my food. I literally had egg on my face.

What to do, what to do. Cry? Run? Dive under the table? Create a diversion? Nope. Not me. I, cool as a cucumber, wipe off my face, brush off my boobs, pick the flecks of egg that had scattered off of my notebook, and continue on as if I had not just shot chicken fetus all over the goddamned place.

HAH!

1. Kylie
    October 13, 2008 9:09 am

That carrot cake looks divine.

2. Sooska
    October 13, 2008 9:09 am

My cousin, a resident of Maryland since about age 8, is an avid Steelers fan in the Baltimore area. Several years ago, before Heinz Field, she attended a Steelers-Ravens game in Baltimore that so many other Steeler fans attended with a field of waving Towels, that the Raven’s stadium announcer announced “A new attendance record at Three Rivers Stadium” at the end of the game, which BTW was a Steelers victory. Subsequently the Governor & State legislature of MD passed a law permitting the teams (in fact, I think requiring them) to limit the availability of tickets to anyone outside the Maryland area; in other words, no Steeler fans allowed. Boy, did that stop us.

3. Heather
    October 13, 2008 9:16 am

Love the commercial, but as witnessed on old school google, Troysus didn’t have cascading ringlets in college.

Totally unrelated, did anyone see the Food Network Challenge last night? They did big city skylines and some woman tried to represent Pittsburgh. Number one, it was totally fug. Number two, I was freaking out because she put Mount Washington on the wrong side of the city! I was so mad that I was yelling at the tv. Then I was mad because I think I hit a new low in lameness.

Did anyone see this? I think I’m mad all over again! Happy Monday, peeps.

4. In Columbus.
    October 13, 2008 9:35 am

Hey, I like Columbus…

October 13, 2008 9:46 am

#5 — I haven’t seen that commerical yet — so, thanks for posting, PG. that shit is tight — especially the jay-z track that accompanies it — a little “the good, the bad and the ugly” for ya.

#8 — scrambled eggs on boobs — I’ll have an order of that.

6. Dan (Not Onarato)
    October 13, 2008 10:05 am

@ Heather

Does “cascading ringlets” sound really dirty or is it just me?

7. spoon
    October 13, 2008 10:24 am

haha I’ve been reading MindBling for a couple of weeks. Think she found us on Twitter or Plurk or one of the 3423423423 social networking sites. Good readin

8. parking chair
    October 13, 2008 10:28 am

As someone who now lives in Columbus, that hurt, PittGirl. That really hurt.

Columbus is OK. Not as nice as Pittsburgh, but far, far better than Cleveland or Cincy. Where else can you come see a giant cow made out of butter?

9. Rachel
    October 13, 2008 10:36 am

Giant cow made of butter — staple of the state fair. But I’ll agree, Columbus isn’t Cleveland, so in lieu of Columbus Day, I will celebrate that I live in Columbus and NOT Cleveland. Imagine how shitty that would be.

10. pittgirl
    October 13, 2008 10:37 am

If it is any consolation, Ohio Sister lives in Columbus. :)

October 13, 2008 10:53 am

I’d be happy to hunt down and purchase the biggest, best carrot cake in the world and deliver to your door. Maybe even two. Just for you.

Buuuuuuut … there’s that whole anonymity thing.

I know: Bitch.

Sorry.

12. dwight
    October 13, 2008 10:55 am

Brother in Law is funny. :)

13. Gunnlino
    October 13, 2008 11:17 am

Bro-In-Law requires being spoken to:

Next time there is a family gathering with food involved HE is REQUIRED to bring carrot cake. Maybe on an every time without fail basis, it’s an option to consider.

14. curtO.
    October 13, 2008 11:38 am

Funny enough…I’m at a bar on Friday night, start chatting with a beautiful young lady…we exchange some information…NO, not numbers, but blogs and websites. Turns out we have a mutual good friend from over at BarSmart.com and both fans of PittGirl.

Who is it?

MindBling.blogspot.com

Small world indeed. And guess who took the pic of the ATM Ass in her blog…yeah, me.

15. Mindbling
    October 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Awww shucks, Curto. You called me young. He also provided the face melt graphic to obscure my real identity from my legions and legions of readers who don’t already know who I am, which is, I believe, 7.

I heart pittgirl. I heart her a lot.

16. Hoosierburgher
    October 13, 2008 12:38 pm

@Heather

I saw that last night!! It. was. complete. FUG. And the big green blob…yeah, you call that a hill? don’t feel bad, I yelled too. My bf, who is not from the burgh, just didn’t understand…

17. Pensgirl
    October 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Heather, I saw that show too. Her concept of Pittsburgh was not literal, and that makes sense to me. Think about how the cake would have looked if she’d tried to make Mt. Washington geographically accurate. It would be weird because on her base, the back of the mountain would be the front of the cake, and it would cut off the visual in the middle. I thought of it more like “Elements of Pittsburgh” than an actual skyline.

But boy did she ever waste her time. I thought it was really stupid that she had her assistant make those little people and cars instead of working on all the buildings first. Pittsburgh without the top of PPG Place is unacceptable, let alone not finishing the incline. Sigh.

All I can say is that everyone else did a bad job too.

18. Sue
    October 13, 2008 1:37 pm

On the Troy commercial. Very cute but whens the last time you saw Troy tackle like that.
    It would of been more like Tory flying over a few players to connect at LT’s waste line thus bringing him to the ground and the ball to his hands for the INT!
    ; )

19. DisplacedFromPitt
    October 13, 2008 2:09 pm

MindBling…just as an FYI you might want to edit some of your posts if you care to keep your identity to those 7 people…particularly those posts in September.

20. Sue
    October 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I need to spell check, then check the spell check.
    Yikes, sorry.

21. buckeyegirl
    October 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Awwww Pittgirl I cannot beleive you ripped on Columbus. I went to Ohio State and if I wasn’t married to a diehard Pittsburgher who will NEVER leave Pittsburgh, I would move back there in a minute. I love Pittsburgh, the Steelers and the city but nothing beats a Sat afternoon at the Horseshoe watching the BUCKEYES play. I hope Ohio Sister likes Columbus (and the Buckeyes!!)
    BuckeyeGirl

22. Still A Fan
    October 13, 2008 5:12 pm

dude, you TOTALLY dissed Oreos. I mean, of all the cookies to go after….Oreos? Oreos and Nutter Butters need to be taken out of that equation…ooooh, and those chocolaty covered marshmallows on the wafer things…those as well. Conrad to Skippy is meaningless to me because I’m all about the chicks, but please, Oreos may have been offered up a bit quick in your analogy. you could have used those boring vanilla creams that grandma used to serve – the ones where you get like 4 dozen for $1.99. Oreos?

23. DW
    October 13, 2008 6:01 pm

I’ve watched that Troy commercial all frickin’ day….the music, the action, the HIT, it gives me chills I tell ya, chills!

Slow work day. :)

24. mindbling
    October 13, 2008 11:51 pm

@DisplacedFromPitt I’m not one to hide. I am like King Leonidas. Bring it on. I have at least 13 people who are ready to go … whatever that means.

25. Jennifer
    October 20, 2008 12:00 pm

OMG, #7. Literally LOL. Not just snickering, LOTI or anything, serious LOL on the author’s remarks for those recipe cards. Thanks for the link!