So you don’t have to look at the scary bug anymore.

An email:

Dear Pittgirl,

Here is a photo from our trip to Kona, HI. It was last Sunday (10/5)… and in retrospect, we should have knocked on the door, and asked where the Yuengling was, because they were probably getting ready for the big game!

Love,
Pitt Scientists back from the Big Island

Check it out:

1. Jen
    October 13, 2008 8:53 pm

oh man, there are a TON of Steelers bars in Hawaii! My mom’s cousin and her husband live in San Diego and are huge Steeler fans, and they go to Hawaii a few times a year (to ‘house sit’. SERIOUSLY. Where do I sign up????) and they always send us pictures of themselves in all these bars with their black and gold on (with the beautiful ocean in the background, The Bastards!) It totally brings a tear to my eye. Steeler Nation truly is everywhere.

2. Tom Murphy
    October 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Who is the woman raising her arms in the Burgh Blog banner at the top of the page?

I should know, but can’t think of it.

3. pittgirl
    October 14, 2008 7:00 am

Tom, that is Sonni Abatta of KDKA.

4. john
    October 14, 2008 7:40 am

Wonder what the lot rent is on that double wide?

5. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 14, 2008 8:22 am

In the mid-90’s, my brother was stationed in the navy in Hawaii. Went out to visit him and even got to watch a playoff game while out there. It’s interesting to wake up so early to watch football.

My main Terrible Towel, the one I carry to games, was given to my brother when he went to a Steelers bar there to watch a game.

6. DisplacedFromPitt
    October 14, 2008 8:28 am

Yuengling? Have I been out of Pittsburgh so long that its not Iron City anymore, with Rolling Rock coming in a close second? Isn’t Pottsville a bit close to that other big city in PA that we hate? come on now…

7. Patrick
    October 14, 2008 8:37 am

Displaced… Iron City isn’t very widely available outside of Western PA. I actually got excited when I saw a couple of bottles above the bar at a Steeler’s Bar in San Diego. Ordered one, and was informed that they were just for decoration. So, they can be forgiven for not ordering an arhn.

As for Rolling Rock, I personally consider drinking it a sin, ever since Anheuser-Busch bought the brand and shut down the brewery in Latrobe. It’s now brewed in New Jersey. The bottles might still say “From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe…”, but it’s really from The Landfill State. I know a lot of local folks who feel the same way.

So, by process of elimination, Yuegling it is. Unless there is Penn Pilsner on tap.

8. maxtalbot
    October 14, 2008 9:16 am

I wouldn’t pour a Rolling Rock down my throat if my heart was on fire.

9. honda driver
    October 14, 2008 9:48 am

The irony in this is that InBev, who used to be the holding company for Rolling Rock, is now trying to buy Anheuser-Busch. What goes around comes around. Rolling Rock hasn’t tasted the same since the move to New Jersey. So yes, Yuegling is the choice…or Penn Pilsner.

10. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 14, 2008 1:18 pm

The weekend the Steelers played in Philly, there was a fan rally at a sports bar here and they brought in Iron City just for that.

11. Smiley
    October 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Please tell me you saw the offensive line at that rally drinking “imported” Iron City. That would ‘splain a lot.

12. pitt scientists
    October 14, 2008 2:40 pm

glad you all liked our picture. just to let everyone know:
    that is not a bar. that is someone’s house! A proud expatriate fan declaring their allegiance right on the main road there. steelers nation truly is amazing. we didn’t see any other houses decorated like that for any other teams at all. and yes, while it does seem tiny, you should see some of the other houses lining the streets. there were shacks that we would have sworn were abandoned except for the satellite TV dishes on the roof.

And yes, we have never seen iron city served/sold anywhere outside western PA either. yuengling you at least have a shot at finding.

13. Nel
    October 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Not sure if it still is, but Samuel Adams used to be brewed at Iron City Brewery in Lawrenceville.

14. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    October 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Here in Portland, OR there ara a good number of places that have Iron City available (a couple even have it on tap) and several of the grocery stores (New Seasons, Fred Meyers) also stock it. I had a friend visit awhile ago and we did a walking Iron City beer tour, just to break up the monotony of the many, many, many microbrews. We found it in about 7 bars within 2 miles of my apartment.

The local beer distributor here distributes Iron City products and Penn Brewery products. In Oregon, you can buy beer/wine at the grocery/convenience stores. Bars/restaurants get beer from the distributor. The public can buy from the distributor, but you have to buy at least three cases (doesn’t have to be three of the same thing) at a time. My neighborhood bar stocks Iron City and it is the featured beer for Monday Night Football — $2.00 for the 16 oz. stub bottle — and they go through it like crazy.

Yuengling is totally unavailable here. Rolling Rock is dead to me. As a Saint Vincent College alum, what Budweiser did to destroy a somewhat ok beer is criminal.

15. Still A Fan
    October 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Yuengling???

Look, just because IC cant be bought everywhere and RR moved DOES NOT mean you equate Yuengling with the Stillers. Come on! I live in Eastern PA these days and it’s not even closely entwined with the iggles. When you go somewhere from pittsburgh and let people know…they say “you want an aaaaaarn city?”. when i go somewhere and say i’m from the greater philly area….they don’t say “do yous want a yuengling?”. its not the same thing at all, not even close in my estimation…..in fact, with a 1 being not associated at all and a 10 being highly associated…..i think yuengling is a 1 when it comes to the steelers.

16. Patrick
    October 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Nel,

Pittsburgh Brewing did brew Sam Adams Lager for Boston Beer Co under contract, but they lost that contract about a decade ago. Sam Adams is still brewed under contract at a number of breweries with excess capacity. In fact, a year or so ago it was announced that they were looking into brewing at the old Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe, although I’m not sure if that went through.

And Ex-Pat Pgh Girl, that’s freakin’ awesome.

17. chicklit
    October 14, 2008 5:33 pm

thanks for putting up a picture so I wouldn’t have to look at the bug. I made husband look at the page first before I looked to make sure the ungle bug was not visiblae

18. TBD
    October 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Would be happy if Pgh Brewing made anything with flavor again. Sc**w them and RR (bud wannabe). Penn Brew makes some very nice authentic German style beers. East End for the more adventuresome Ale types. North Country. Spragues Farm. Voodoo. Lots of other local and localish things to drink. Just have to ask / look further. Yuegling at least has a bit of flavor but has the advantages of being inexpensive and relatively widely available.

Life it too short to drink cr*p beer.

19. spoon
    October 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey pitt scientists, order IC online

As for Yuengling, save a couple extra bucks and buy something decent. Last weekend Erie Brewing just won a bronze medal at the 2008 Great American Beer Festival in Scottish Style for their Railbender

20. TBD
    October 14, 2008 10:32 pm

Spoon,

Nice info on Erie Brewing. I gave up after going for a few of my fav places north (in my listing places). Agreed on paying a few $$ more and buying something good. The original discussion was about Rolling Rock and IC. I’ve found that Yuengling is a good “trainer” beer for folks moving toward things with flavor and is also marginally acceptable by the beer geek types. It also has the advantage that at a lot of non-beer bar places will have that as their “fancy beer” tap. Keep converting them, glass by glass :-)

21. Craig
    October 15, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks for the bug distraction. And thanks for the link to mindbling, she’s almost half as good as you!

22. gumbygirl
    October 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks to all of you who have given up Rolling Rock. My brother works at the Latrobe brewery, has for thirty years, and had his heart ripped out by the scumsicking pigs at AB, may they burn in hell. The Latrobe brewery has been making Sam Adams for the past year or so, but Sam Adams recently bought a brewery somewhere else, so that business is drying up. They are expecting layoffs very soon, and the Wisconsin brewer City Brewing Co, who owns the Latrobe plant has been selling off equipment-not a good sign.