Random n’at.

1.  Now THIS is more like it!  More fall-y.  More turtleneck-y.  More cute little striped scarf-y.  More do-me booty.  More pumpkin spicy.  My kind of weather. My crazy hair’s kind of weather, too.  The frizz is finally gone.

2.  Reader Amanda wrote:

I just wanted to share with you what I overheard yesterday while waiting for my husband to get his haircut at one of those chain $12 haircut places….  They were actually telling a customer how he shouldn’t register to vote because he’ll then get called for jury duty.  “DON’T REGISTER” was said over and over….  I was appalled at the ignorance.  I wanted to tell them how stupid they were, but I didn’t feel like it was worth my time.  My husband did chime in and tell them that he and I have both been registered for 10+ years and have never been called for jury duty.

Regardless of who you are voting for (CHOKE-A-BITCHOCRAT! Campaign slogan:  Mwah-hahaha!) this story is just so ridiculously sad.

Had I been in that salon, I would have piped up with my best Yinzer accent, “And know what else?  I heard from my cousin that when you register to vote, the government then has permission to forbid you from wearing spandex.  True story.”  Because I don’t think I want people that stupid to be allowed to have a vote in who is the next leader of the free world.

3.  I went to a Halloween store last night to get giant eyebrows for my Ken Rice costume (two fake mustaches = perfect Ken Rice eyebrows) when I stumbled upon the NAUGHTY AISLE.  I must be a sheltered doofus because I had never seen these types of costumes before.  A bloody menstrual pad costume, yes.  But these?  No.  I Tweeted two yesterday.

This one is called Snake Charmer:

To which That Night’s Rachel said, “That guy’s grin.  What the Effie.”  Agreed.  Hey, doesn’t that look like Tom Brady?  He wishes he had a snake to charm.

And also this one which is called Hung Like a Horse:

To which reader RockinPRGirl wrote, “I’m guessing Matt Lamanna’s would have to be Hung Like a Dinosaur.”

HAH!

Then Goob chimed in with, “I have faith that the internet contains all; I have faith you are going to find a Donkey Omelets costume.”

Twitter is fun.

4.  Wouldn’t it be awesome if Ken Rice was PittGirl for Halloween?  Curly wig, scarf, do-me boots, turtleneck, Dunkin Donuts coffee in one hand and the severed head of the Dread Lord in the other.  Make it happen.

5.  Let’s look at Matt and his gorgeous brain for a moment.

And we’re back.

6.  A conversation:

Mother of PittGirl: Your father yelled at me today.

PittGirl: He YELLED at you?!

Mother of PittGirl: Top of his lungs.

PittGirl: Wow!  When is the last time he did that?

Mother of PittGirl: Oh, about 25 years ago when he threw the peach.

And that my friends is called Post-Retirement Too Much Togetherness.

Father of PittGirl needs to get a consulting gig during the low golf season.

7.  Oh, Penguins.  What the hell?

8.  A Pennsylvania man ate a 20 lb. hamburger in 4 hours and 39 minutes.

How long do you suppose it took him to puke it all up?

Men are weird.

9.  I have a few people in the P-G trying to get to the bottom of the spottiness of the P-G website.  Hopefully we’ll have an answer soon because this is The Burgh Blog.  Where we get to the bottom of shit.

1. PensPrincess
    October 17, 2008 9:00 am

Hey PG,

I got a new Starbucks drink for ya! Caramel Apple Spice. Try it and let me know how much you love it!

By the way, I too went to a Halloween store and couldn’t figure out when Halloween turned into a “slut fest”? My husband is curious if children under 18 can get into the store. I am just wondering if the hookers of the world stock up on shoes this time of year. Wait till Halloween is over and get 50% off :-)

Happy Fall weather everyone!

2. TBD
    October 17, 2008 9:29 am

#1. She said do-me-boots. Rrwaaaaaawrr!

#2. People that stupid shouldn’t be voting anyway.

#4. That would be excellent. I’d pay to see that!

#7. Giant WTFie for that performance last night (or lack there of…). Games are THREE periods long guys.

#8. Sick. How DID the idea of how much can you eat fast ever turn into a sport or newsworthy item?

#9. Yes the PG website is a pita. Has been for awhile. If you can get that fixed can we give you a list of other things to work on? LOL

3. Naynay
    October 17, 2008 9:35 am

And that is why I can not take my 7 year old little girl to any Halloween stores. They are all X-rated anymore! And the costumes for little little girls look like they were designed by pedophiles. YUCK!!!

Thank God my little girl wants to be a ninja.

4. spoon
    October 17, 2008 10:09 am

Here’s what i’ve found as a work around.

If your link points to http://postgazette.com/blah/blah, change it to http://post-gazette.com/blah/blah and vice versa. Being an IT guy this is a stupid way to quick fix but I’m not employed by the PG and its worked for me. blame canada

5. spoon
    October 17, 2008 10:11 am

I should rephrase… as the reader, copy and paste the url so if it’s http://postgazette.com/ change it to http://post-gazette.com/

you can still blame Canada

6. maxtalbot
    October 17, 2008 10:15 am

I’m shocked that PittGirl hasn’t linked to Troysus calling out the NFL for fining players to the extent that they are pansy-fying the game. Ah, sweet Troysus.

7. pittgirl
    October 17, 2008 10:19 am

Dude. I’m getting there.

Gawd.

;)

8. Katrina
    October 17, 2008 10:20 am

Remember: for everyone of those people who don’t vote, YOU get to vote FOR them! If only 50% of people vote, then that means you get to vote for one other person! AND YOU CAN PICK WHO IT IS!

Or at least, this is what I tell myself.

9. Former NYC Dweller in the Burgh
    October 17, 2008 10:25 am

It’s too late for Pennsylavnians to register anyway. Missed that boat by 2 weeks.

10. Sooska
    October 17, 2008 10:30 am

#9 @spoon- no dice. the “-” makes my network and system take longer to load. But can I still blame Canada?

#3 Several years ago We went to a Halloween party and a guy was dressed all in white (garbage bags if I remember right) with a lot of long white balloons attached all over his body so they stuck straight out. He has his hea covered with come kind of hood wher eonly his face showed. All night long everyone wondered WTH. He finally told us-he was a “French Tickler” (a ribbed condom). That’s pretty tame by today’s standards.

#7 I have tickets to Saturday’s game v. the Leafs. The Pens better show up and hold the lead – or else.

#8 I don’t even want to know what happens afterward. Men ARE weird.

11. Pensgirl
    October 17, 2008 10:42 am

1. Hallelujah. I was hoping for some real fall weather while I was home – I have the awesomest of awesome new cool-weather dress to wear, and I was hella sick of the 80-degree bullshit. I love upper 50s-mid 60s weather.

2. I sincerely hope that someday, the people saying that end up in a situation where they have to rely on the decision of a jury.

3. That second one might possibly make me laugh if I’m in the right frame of mind (read: drunk) but the first one is downright creepy. And yeah, the dude’s predator smile has a lot to do with it.

4. I can see it now…and it’s not pretty! I bet Jon Burnett would do it.

7. I’m getting really annoyed with them. If they’d just play well with a lead they’d be 4-1 right now instead of 2-2-1. They’ve led in four games and ended up giving the other team at least one point in each of the four. It’s really, really early yet, but that’s got to stop NOW.

8. Yuck.

9. If they fix this I’m sending you a love letter. I like to read Empty Netterrs on my way to work (on the metro) but I usually don’t anymore because it takes so long to load the page it drains the battery on my phone a good 10 percent.

12. J
    October 17, 2008 11:02 am

O.M.G. I took my 9 year old daughter to party city to get a costume last night and we left empty handed because at least 50% made her look, as her 16 year old brother put it, “like a baby prostitute.” It was gross.

13. missingPA
    October 17, 2008 11:04 am

1. YAY for fall! By far my favorite season.
    2. That is really sad. A woman I know recently told me that her and her husband don’t vote b/c they’re “just not into it.” Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really want the stupid, lazy, and uninformed making decisions through voting either, I just think it’s sad that they don’t care. I mean, c’mon, it’s what separates us from the commies. Especially as a woman- far too many women fought too hard for too long to get us that right to go and squander it. But that spandex thing should definitely be written into law.
    7. I live in Caps territory. I do not enjoy hearing the snickers of their minions the day after a loss to them. Especially a loss like that.
    On a side note, yesterday I saw a van with tags that read “FLT BRD.” I’m sure it was supposed to read “Flat Bread”, but I chose to see it as “Flat Bird.” And then I thought of you PG, and I laughed a little.

14. NY Luvs Pitts
    October 17, 2008 11:10 am

I must be sheltered also. I’ve never seen anything like those costumes. I thought Party City was bad with their french maid and dominatrix outfits (of which the platformed hooker shoes caught my interest. I may go back.).

15. Magnus Patris
    October 17, 2008 11:38 am

Halloween costumes should only be for people under the age of 15. If you can drive, you don’t need to come trick-or-treating. A couple of years ago when we lived in Virginia, a girl about 16, without any real costume, holding a pillow case and talking on a cell phone came to our house. As we opened the door, she continued talking to her BFF and shook the pillow case. My wife and I were shocked. We gave her one piece of candy and my wife said, “Don’t you have anything to say?” But she jst continued to blab away. If you come to my house on a cell phone (unless your costume is “Suicidal Stockbroker”) or were born before 1990, you’re going to get a packet of Splenda!

16. KGC
    October 17, 2008 3:55 pm

I’d like to go as PittGirl, but my do-me-boots are too worn…

FYI.. in graduate business school I went as a cheerleader… wig, white sweater, tartan pleated skirt, makeup, white cheerleader socks and shoes, BIG ta-tas and all… placed 2nd.

Uuuuuuuh.. maybe I getting into a dangerous area here…

17. Bridget
    October 17, 2008 4:53 pm

I LOVE Matt…just letting you know in case you ever run out of space for self-united husbands…he should be your first to go.

18. Brian of Brooklyn
    October 18, 2008 9:16 am

But PittGirl, have you ever seen a bloody HOMESPUN menstrual pad costume?

19. deebee
    October 18, 2008 10:53 am

I have been selected for jury duty… wish me luck!

20. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 19, 2008 10:40 pm

In the sixteen years of being registered to vote, I’ve gotten jury duty once and that was like the back-up jury duty where you call in every day for a week to see if they need you. Not that big a price to pay for being able to vote.

That said, I’ve been feeling lately that if a person doesn’t take the time to understand the issues and base their votes purely on tv commercials and/or internet rumors, then it’s better that they don’t vote.

21. Dan (Not Onarato)
    October 20, 2008 5:59 am

Wait…there was more of a post after PG said “do-me booty”? AWWW dammit….

22. John
    October 20, 2008 9:17 am

Popped over to one of the many Halloween stores in Robinson yesterday during halftime of the Steelers game, and it seemed like every costume should have been labeled as naughty, including the ones for the kids. There need to be 2 Halloween stores – one for kids and one for adults. Taking a kiddo into a Halloween store these days just ends up invoking way too many questions you don’t wanna answer.

23. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 20, 2008 6:15 pm

They do have a Halloween store for adults. It’s called Spencer’s gifts.

Of course, the big thing is a costume store you can take a kid into. You’d probably have to stick to toy stores with good Halloween sections. Toys R Us’s website seems to have a good selection of kids costumes.

24. Pingback: Random n’at.