Random n’at.

1. Despite the fact that 99.9% of the population thinks it tastes like puke, loyal readers are still offering me condolences and ideas about Zima’s demise.

Cynthia is working on an alternative recipe, while the guys at Three Rivers Underground Brewers offered to teach me to make my own, while someone that works for the distributor offered to help me find some of the last cases in the city.

This is me tracing a heart over my heart.  Love you.

So, Cynthia’s got one recipe started that I’ll try this weekend, while anonymity declares I can’t join Three Rivers Underground Brewers, and I’m considering seeing if the distributor would trade me the Zima recipe for a licked penny.

I’ll keep you posted.

2.  Pennies taste terrible.

3.  Speaking of tasting like puke, reader Pens Princess wrote:

I got a new Starbucks drink for ya! Caramel Apple Spice. Try it and let me know how much you love it!

So I tried it.  And it tasted like puke.  Really.

So on my way home I said to myself, “Self.  Father of PittGirl would love this.”

I dropped it off at my parents’ house and he was all, “What?  What is this? [sip] Why don’t you like it?”

“Because it tastes like puke.”

“Mmmm.”

Ew.

4.  Here are some more PittGirl possibilities from PodCamp Pittsburgh 3.

Could I be, as many people believe, my butler Woy?

Note the Masloff for President shirt.

Or maybe I’m Dawn who so graciously provided these photos?

Or Jennie?

Or maybe this cutie:

Or THIS cutie-patootie:

Wow.  I want that shirt.

Or maybe I’m behind Should I Drink That?

Or, could PittGirl be some two-headed monster?

Perish the thought.

5.  Dear “Jim Lokay”, please get a photo of Ken Rice wearing a PittGirl nametag.  KTHXBAI.

6.  An email from Johnny from Brewing Up A Cure.

After your post, the hits to our website shot through the roof. I know it was from your post because you became the top site that we got visits from. The event was a great success and we made over $21,000 to donate to Cystic Fibrosis. You can see some pictures of the event.

Awesome.

7.  Dennis Roddy is in Slate with his take on the bloviating nincompoop.  It is quite the read.

(h/t Mark)

8.  Sidney Crosby is the 45th most influential man in the world according to AskMen.com.

(h/t PittCheMBA)

1. JamieO
    October 22, 2008 8:34 am

I picture you as a stylishly attractive woman, so you are frustrating me by posting photos of these women. I have this image in my mind and you are messing with it. Dammit, knock it off, kay?

Warning to you – I am lobbying my boss to bring a contingent of us here at Penn State’s Teaching and Learning with Technology out to PodCamp4 and teach you guys how to rock social media, lol. We are doing a lot of bleeding edge stuff here that, based on what we are hearing from other institutions, is really ahead of the curve. Some of us are following Pittsburgh Podcamp on Twitter and like what we see. Unconferences kick ass, we have done several of them already here.

2. spoon
    October 22, 2008 8:40 am

wait till you experience the afterparty :)

3. pittgirl
    October 22, 2008 8:47 am

Jamie,

I think you just insulted all of those girls.

Now play nice.

October 22, 2008 8:53 am

I don’t think it’s insulting those ladies to say that while they’re each kinda cute, none of them are hawt. Therefore, none of them can be PittGirl.

I went to college with a guy named Sam Zima, if that’s any help.

5. LisaC
    October 22, 2008 9:08 am

MMmmmm Caramel Apple Spice! YUM! Of course you missed the best part which is at the bottom of the cup when the remaining whipped cream and caramel melt with the rest of the apple spice (which is just apple juice and squirts of the cinnamon spice) and it’s almost buttery. Yum. [from someone who loves the smell of coffee but can’t stand the taste!]

6. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 22, 2008 9:16 am

Do pennies taste like the liberty bell?

7. pittgirl
    October 22, 2008 9:20 am

Lisa,

That would explain why why he got to the bottom of the cup he was all, “Mmm. What’s on the bottom?!”

And I was like, “I don’t know. More puke?”

8. Three
    October 22, 2008 9:20 am

You know the funny thing about Zima? I remember after it first came out, I was sitting in the SOD in Oakland (you know, before it became Bootleggers or whatever it’s called now), and one of my female friends ordered it with a shot of melon liqueur. She used to basically drink enough of it to pour the liqueur in, and then do so. I always gave her a quizzical look … and she would always say, “Well, it gives it more taste this way.”

Oh Zima, this day is long overdue…

9. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    October 22, 2008 9:25 am

My only Zima story involves Zima Gold. Back in college, friends who had all their finals early, gave us all their leftover alcohol before leaving campus for the summer. Included was 3/4 case of Zima Gold. After waiting to get it cold, two of us opened bottles of it, took a sip and simultaneous spontaneous spittake.

It was absolutely the worst tasting alcoholic beverage I’ve ever tasted. And I’ve done shots of Sambuca.

No wonder if didn’t last as long as regular Zima.

10. pittgirl
    October 22, 2008 9:26 am

I love Sambuca. Srsly.

I have problems.

11. John
    October 22, 2008 9:29 am

I used to be a regular Zima drinker right after I turned 21, but I haven’t touched one for years and years. It was what I drank before I developed a taste for beer. That said, it’s sad to see it go by the wayside.

12. Bram R
    October 22, 2008 9:31 am

Meanwhile, I think that’s your recipe for Zima home brew:

– 10 oz. Sprite
    – Double-shot Sambuca
    – Garnish with handful of pennies
    – Shake

13. John
    October 22, 2008 9:36 am

Zima Gold was godawful. Period.

14. Dan (Not Onarato)
    October 22, 2008 9:43 am

hmmm I thought they were all kinda good lookin….

October 22, 2008 9:53 am

Worst thing I ever (deliberately) drank is a tie between ouzo and Thunderbird. I undeliberately drank isopropyl alcohol once …

PG, I love you, darlin’, and it’s not a relationship-killer or anything, but you have seriously bad taste in … um, taste.

October 22, 2008 10:38 am

what’s with the negativity on the females above? I don’t understand — I like ’em cute and geeky. (new fan of dawn here….)

spoon — no longer rockin’ the priest collar?

17. coach99
    October 22, 2008 11:11 am

Maybe, if you scrounge up the last few cases, you will have to decide who is “zima worthy” ala Elaine and deciding who is “sponge worthy”.

18. TheJim
    October 22, 2008 11:15 am

For posterity, cutie #1 is Val from http://thisisportable.com and cutie #2 is Ann from http://stbd.tv.

I think it’s an unwritten rule that no ugly people are allowed to handle the PittGirl name tag.

Also, I have a buddy who loves Sambuca, so I’ve done many shots of it. It’s not that bad if you’re into black licorice n’at.

19. spoon
    October 22, 2008 11:18 am

unsatisfied, here’s one from later that night at Jekyl & Hyde after many many Jager shots

20. Loopy
    October 22, 2008 11:36 am

@ 5.LisaC

I used to sit next to the coffee pot at work. The smell of the the coffee is that good, I end up get hunkering for a cup. It’s such a let down every time because the taste is nothing like the aroma. Some day my sense of taste will catch up to my sense of smell.

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    October 22, 2008 11:37 am

While I don’t love Zima, I don’t hate it either. To me, though, I think it’s more of a once in a while summer-type beverage. Worst drink ever for me is anything with peach schnapps. Bad college memories there.

22. PensPrincess
    October 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Seriously you didn’t like it??!?!?! Thanks Lisa C for backing me up on this. Its soooo yummy! I def need to hang out with Papa PittGirl.

I am heading to get one right now actually…

October 22, 2008 12:17 pm

spoon — now, THAT is church — props to hhe jager chick…

October 22, 2008 12:18 pm

er, “the” jager chick.

maybe I’ve been reading the PG website and all of their misspellings too long….

(btw — thanks, mr. roddy, for responding to me on that there thread….)

25. Brother Anthony
    October 22, 2008 1:36 pm

perhaps the problem is shooting the sambuca

slowly sip one after a very heavy italian dinner

26. JamieO
    October 22, 2008 2:03 pm

PittGirl,

God, sorry……I feel bad now because I wasn’t ripping their looks at all. I meant they were all great looking but looked different, still fitting the “totally hot chick” description. Besides, I THINK I may have met the first one before from my days working in the Pittsburgh technology community – I think.

Meh. I need more sleep on work weeknights than just four hours.

27. captain dummy
    October 22, 2008 2:08 pm

is it weird that i think of pittgirl when i hear the voice of the Wendy’s girl on TV or radio commercials??? talk about putting a “voice to the name”?!? i just imagine that, if pg isn’t really ken rice, and in fact a real girl… she would sound a lot like the Wendy’s girl…

also pg… between you and i… if you are ken rice… i remember checking out movies to you back in the day at blockbuster video!

28. john
    October 22, 2008 3:38 pm

WOW!! that burgandy and pink striped sweater has me mezmorized!

29. mindbling
    October 23, 2008 8:58 am

NOW I get the penny tweet from yesterday! Doh. I’m sorry.