It is FINALLY OVER!

Did something … important happen last night or something?

HAH!

Just kidding, you silly Burghers!

We have a new president-elect and as you know The Burgh Blog pretty much stays out of national politics because that is a volcano of angry burning bubbling fire that this virgin does not wish to fling herself into.

HAH!

Just kidding, you silly Burghers!

So, truly, there’s no other way to say it.  Half of you are sad and half of you are hungover from celebrating.

My mom and dad?  Sadcakes.

Me?  Of course I voted for one of them and I’m not telling you which one because remember we talked about the volcano just a minute ago?  Hot.

My mother and father are not the type that vote based on race, so don’t even go there (Mom originally was going to vote Barack and Mom and Dad have both been involved in community racial reconciliation events over the years), but they are very educated constituents who have done their homework and believe in the Republican Party platform.  There is nothing wrong with that, at all.

On Halloween evening, I was unfortunate enough to be stuck in the middle of a heated debate between a group of immediate and extended family members, a debate that Pens Fan of all people started when she threw a political verbal grenade into the middle of the room and then sat back and watched the war.

[shakes cute little fist at Pens Fan]

As the discussion became more heated, I interjected what I hoped was a preemptive strike against what was sure to be my parents’ great displeasure when Barack Obama won the office.

PittGirl: Mom.  Listen.  There are 60 million people that are going to vote for Barack Obama, not all 60 million of them are complete idiots with no grasp of economics.  Therefore, you have to understand and believe that if he’s voted in, well, then there’s good in him.  The same way you wouldn’t want all 60 million people that vote for McCain to be dismissed as radical, right wing nutjobs.  Oh.  Hey.  Dad.  (Just kidding, Daddy!)

Mom: Do you know this man’s policies?  Have you read his economic plan?

PittGirl: Look.  I’m not talking about politics here.  I’m just saying don’t freak out.  I believe in the Constitution.  I believe in checks and balances.  I don’t believe any one man will truly drive America to a point that America can’t recover.  America survives wars, depressions, terrorism.  Just take comfort in the Constitution.  If he royally mucks it up as you fear he will, in two years America will fix it in Congress and in four years, America will fix it in the White House.

Mom: Bllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.  [more about how I’m a Pollyanna and that this Pollyannaism is really starting to irk her.]

PittGirl: I’m NOT trying to argue with you here.  I’m just trying to give you and Dad something hopeful and comforting to cling to come election day because Barack Obama is going to win and I just don’t want you two slitting your wrists on Tuesday night.

Mom?  Dad?!  OMG.  Call 911.

Update: An email from Tina Fey:

Yo, PG.  So, did mom and dad totally lose it last night?  I want to know what Pens Fan said that got mom all twitterpated last week.  D [Tina Fey’s 6-year-old adopted Mexican son] has been learning about the election in school, and he calls Barack Obama “Mr. Rock Obama.”

He thought it was cool that the new president is brown like him.

I’m betting mom drank herself into a stupor last night and if I call her this morning she’ll have a headache for some reason unknown to her.  Ah, good times, people.  Anyway, new day/new president.

Love, Me.

Hee.

UPDATE TWO: A new email from Tina Fey:

Yo, talked to mom this morning.  She’s actually quite positive and said she did not drink herself into a stupor.  However, she said that dad, who I had forgotten was visiting at Ohio Sister’s house, had apparently set up shop on her couch with two bottles of wine.  So he’s probably in the stupor this morning.

Love, Me.

HEE!

1. We have a helicopter! Look!
    November 5, 2008 2:40 pm

>>Turned on WTAE at 11 pm. Wendy had a HUGE, open-mouth grin on her face and was borderline obnoxious in reporting Obama’s victory. What is that? >>

Consider the alternatives: you could have turned to WPXI (or at least I think it was; I was exhausted by then) and gotten nothing but obsessive coverage of… oh… my… God… students partying in Oakland. Students partying in Oakland?!?! BIGGEST STORY EVAR! Some guy got elected or something but whatever, there’s COLLEGE KIDS OUTSIDE. And stuff!!

So… there’s that.

2. John
    November 5, 2008 2:46 pm

McCain’s concession speech from last night was one of the classiest things I have ever seen a politician do. I truly believe he’s going to do everything in his power to work with Obama to bring some unity to this very divided country we all live in. I’m neither a W lover nor a W hater, but it’s hard to argue that more good than bad has happened in the past 8 years. I truly believe that Obama wants to bring some much needed unity to our country, and I hope that he is given every chance to do it. Now is not the time for divisiveness. We have just elected the first African-American president in the 232 year history of the United States. It’s an historic day and shows just how far we’ve all come. As #6 Jim put it – we need to put aside our differences and work together to better this great country we live in.

3. BagitTagit
    November 5, 2008 2:48 pm

I agree 51. I remember is 92, as a student at Pitt, we partied in the quad when Clinton won. I also remember partying when we beat the Flyers that year. But I don’t remember non-stop “Breaking News” aerial coverage from 3 different news stations.

4. Christine
    November 5, 2008 3:01 pm

Sexy Jesus, I’m happy to give Obama the four years he is entitled to to convince me and the other 55 million Americans who didn’t vote for him that we are just big dummies — and I’ll thank you to not “summarize me” in the future, as your summary reflects your own bias, not my views.

And chris, you truly believe 9/11 was Bush’s doing? Are you effing kidding ME? What don’t you blame him for?

As for the credit debacle… http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/features/2189196/clinton-democrats-are-to-blame-for-the-credit-crunch.thtml
    But since this is published in a conservative publication, you probably won’t believe it. Just like I don’t believe what the mainstream media espouses. We’re on opposite sides of the fence. The beauty of it is, because we live in the U.S., each of us has the freedom to express our beliefs. I don’t agree with yours, but I respect your right to them.

Wow, PittGirl, for a nonpolitical blog, you sure can incite the masses. Good for you!

5. Monty
    November 5, 2008 3:27 pm

Goddam, people. The title of the post is “It is FINALLY OVER.” Pieholes, shut.

6. Chris
    November 5, 2008 4:46 pm

I don’t blame anyone but the nineteen terrorists for 9/11.

As for the articles you cite, you do understand that there are differences between news articles and op-ed pieces, right? The following is an opinion piece that refutes your opinion pieces (http://www.slate.com/id/2201641/). It is one – among many – that refutes your attempt to blame the darkies for everything.

7. Christine
    November 5, 2008 4:53 pm

Holy crap! When did I become a racist? How like a liberal to assume that if one didn’t vote for Obama, it’s because he/she is racist. Believe me, I didn’t judge him for the color of his skin but the content of his history and platform.

Of course I understand the WSJ piece I cited is an op-ed — it just happens to be one I agree with.

I’m with you, Monty. Pieholes shut. This is a ridiculous thread and I’m ending it.

8. B
    November 5, 2008 4:56 pm

Wow–Pitt sounds like a rough place.

9. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 5, 2008 4:59 pm

I just wish my sister would stop calling me evil simply because I’m registered Republican. It was a tough choice, but I did vote for the guy who ended up winning Folks do need to be realistic about the ability of a President to actually accomplish his campaign promises. In theory, it should be a bit easier with the same party in control of Congress, but it would be interesting for folks to go back and look at when that has occurred before. It’s not so easy.

10. Chris
    November 5, 2008 5:01 pm

How would I know when you became a racist? Maybe at that Palin rally.

Sorry, but that was too easy.

11. Christine
    November 5, 2008 5:58 pm

Sorry, Chris, but obviously for you I became a racist the minute I didn’t touch the screen next to Obama-Biden. Guess I’ll never know when you became a jer…oops, sorry, I said I’m ending this and I am. Take your best shot, I won’t be answering.

12. KGC
    November 5, 2008 6:11 pm

Christine.. We who voted against obama and oppose his policies need to get used to the fact we will be called racists every time we question or criticize him. As I told my 19-yo daughter last night and early today “We’ll get through it. It will be difficult”. She is upset and is quite insightful for a 19-yo… she knows the positions of Obama and is a Conservative. Yes, McCain is no Conservative, but was our only Choice. Thank God for Sarah Palin; otherwise it would have been much worse. BTW, I have not coached my daughter at all.

Addy.. I’m not being “ugly”. I didn’t say “everybody”… I said “many”. “Many” have eschewed their education and relied on crime and/or government hand-outs. Actually, I feel somewhat sorry for certain people who have bought into obama’s “Change” line hook, line and sinker. In 2 years/4 years, many of them will find their life in no different than it is today.

We are close a “tipping point” where more than 50% of voters can vote to receive hand-outs from those of us who produce. That’s a fact, Jack.

Brian… Right, Joe the Plumber knew obama was going to visit his neighborhood UNANNOUNCED. Me thinks you should check your meds.

Sexy Jesus.. Get a grip. I have HUGE disagreements with obama’s positions, as well as recently stated positions of the liberals in the Congress, and decided I did not want to get into them here today. But, you force me to do a few, though not all…

1. Card Check. Elimination of secret ballot for Union organizing. Perfect for intimidation at work, at home at church, at the grocery store. I won’t feel sorry any obama supporter who loses their job when their job is eliminated as a result of unionization under this blatant violation of basic protection. Win unionization fair and square with a secret ballot protecting an individual’s basic rights; otherwise, pound salt. Me thinks anyone who supports Card Check is (a) a worker drone or (b) someone would have no problem marking your electroral ballot in my presence. Yes, I am an Executive who has dealt with Unions in the past.

2. Tax Policy. Think the tax hike on >$250,000 will be only on those making >$250,000 and that number will be only >$250,000? LMAO. Think again, Einstein. That number will be a LOT lower. Trust me.

Think that will impact only those making >$250,000 (or whatever number less than $250,000, a virtual certainty)? Think again, Einstein. If a Company owner or executive gets hit with higher taxes, their 1st reaction will be cut back on jobs, raises, etc. Trust me. My Company’s majority owner has already instituted such. Guess who gets hurt? Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnner! “Those making less and often a LOT less than $250,000.” Hope they like their little $1,000 ‘cuz they won’t have job. Hope you feel better, ‘cuz how does screwing someone make your life any better? It doesn’t.

I’m also a CPA, btw, and know a “little-bit” about taxes. Actually, a great deal.

3. Abortion. Disgusting. No, ‘effin disgusting. obama is FOR partial birth abortion, otherwise known as infanticide. How ANY Catholic could have voted for obama astounds me. How ANYONE could support such astounds me.

Need I go on? There are more… 401(k)’s (certain Members of Congress want to take them away and force you into SS; $600/yr and 3%/year.. yippee), fairness doctrine (can’t compete? silence the critics), CCW & gun control (it’s my right to carry a gun; gun control is hitting your target), Iraq, Afghanistan.

I will not sit idly by, be concilatory and hope liberals “like” me. Seems to me the liberals screamed that Bush should “reach out” to the Left. obam will NOT “reach out” to the Right. obama simply says “I will listen to you”, not “work with” or “reach out” to you. A 2-yo listens to you and then, during their terrible 2’s tantrum, does whatwever they da*n well please.

Hope you liberals are happy and feel good today. Me thinks you won’t be for long ‘cuz your life is not going to be the nirvana you think it will be. Many of you young liberals don’t remember the last ultra-liberal President – Carter. I do. Sadly.

Liberals will over-reach. They always do. Trouble is, after 4 years of obama everyone will pay the price.. not just the liberals. We’ve been careening towards socialism for a number of years.. obama will simply press the pedal to the floor. Can you say “France?” See, I knew you could.

13. Nel
    November 5, 2008 7:14 pm

kgc,
    Your daughter and you are the ones I truly feel sorry for.
    I bet you call yourself a Christian?

Perhaps we need a news bulletin telling everyone that one-size fits all doesn’t work in pantie hose or people. It is the sweeping and generalized dehumanization of entire groups that lead to ethnic cleansing and holocausts.

14. anonCPA
    November 5, 2008 7:21 pm

KGC, ditto man… regardless, McCain or Obama, didn’t matter. Taxes have to go up to pay for the $700 billion bail out package that just came out.

The abortion thing was my straw I guess. Being christian, I cannot vote for someone that is not pro-life. Saddens me…

15. Monty
    November 5, 2008 7:33 pm

If this battle is going to continue, may I offer up some inspiration for how to conduct yourselves?

16. Pingback: Is it really over? « Writing by Ear

17. KGC
    November 5, 2008 8:22 pm

Nell.. You betcha! (wink)

I’m not a holy roller type, but…

Abortion is WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. Partial birth abortion is WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. I suppose you would feel comfortable putting forceps through the skull of baby at birth. You’re sick. To those who get knocked up by something other than rape or incest, practice abstinence and keep you legs together.. works EVERY time it’s tried. EVERY time.

Monty.. LMAO at 2 liberals going after each other… liberals eating each other!!

18. Jennifer in London
    November 5, 2008 8:22 pm

Hey! Angry mob! Obama won. Game over. We’ve fought back and forth for the last two years and it’s time to move forward. Back into your corners now.

And how lucky we are to be able to move forward with such an historic election result. That is something we all can agree and be proud about.

That being said, I live in London. In England. Thousands of miles from the shores of my home country. And from all the way over here, I watched the world celebrate Obama’s victory. And whether you agree with his policies, promises or pant-suits, it’s pretty amazing to see the world celebrate ANYTHING that happens in America. I mean, really, when was the last time that happened? Pretty awesome, I say.

19. KGC
    November 5, 2008 8:32 pm

Addy, Brain, Sexy Jesus and the rest of you liberals… attack the messenger, call the messenger names and don’t discuss issues (‘cuz you can’t). Typical.

20. KGC
    November 5, 2008 8:36 pm

Jennifer in London.. The reason a good bit of the World celebrated obama’s victory is that a good bit of the World, especially Great Britain and France, are apologists/appeasers. Great Britain and France have acquiesed to Muslims and are lost causes. Of course, the Muzzies and the socialista around the World celebrate obam’s victory.. obama is one of them!

21. KGC
    November 5, 2008 8:39 pm

Jennifer in London.. “move forward”.. now that’s a phrase I can relate to.. get me another Yuengling.. burp.

22. Jennifer in London
    November 5, 2008 8:49 pm

KGC, you just can’t be pleased. Fair enough. Live the next four years of your life in miserable solitude. But while you’re muttering to yourself and pacing in circles, please remember that there are British and French soldiers in Afghanistan fighting alongside our troops.

And, you’re right, living in London gives me many opportunities to punch as many Muslims as I can before my fingers break. It’s a sad state of society, being inclusive and opening the borders to the “poor, tired, huddled masses yearning to breathe free”.

Now, shush.

23. KGC
    November 5, 2008 9:55 pm

Jennifer.. Agreed and fully recognized. Trust me, we’re on the same side. Great Britian has a staunch ally of the US (until Gordon Brown, IMHO)… Yet your government continues to acquiese to Muslims.. I fear the US very well may not support its own troops or those of its allies once obama is sworn in by pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Lord, I hope I’m wrong. Muslims do not desire to “breathe free” unless it’s by their rules, not the rules of their “adopted” locale. They desire to conquer and force Western civilization back to the Dark Ages.. a MOAB on Mecca would do the trick.

I’m not muttering to myself or running in circles. I will not live in miserable solitude… I live very well, thank you. I have the means to survive most anything obama can throw at me.. I work, on average, 2-3 hours per day and make 6-figure W-2 income and allowing me to pursue business ventures and investing (capital gains).. with spousal income, we’re defintely above the $200,000 income level. Then again, I’ve worked nearly 30 years.. hard. I also have the ability to both time and/or characterize my income thereby minimizing my taxes.

I’m done with this thread. It’s late.

Take care and God Bless.

24. nel
    November 5, 2008 10:53 pm

kgc,
    Funny thing, I don’t remember mentioning abortion.
    Having spent GS, HS, Undergrad, and Grad School with the Mercy nuns, I don’t think you should assume what my positions are on abortion. It’s no ones business but my own.

I will feel very comfortable answering to my God when the time comes. And kgc, I hope it’s not the same God as you because I couldn’t stand to be with someone as arrogant and judgmental as you are for all eternity.

Although I understand your anxiety. Last night, your world as you know it got much smaller. Sort of like your mind.

November 5, 2008 11:24 pm

Geeeez, THIS took a rather ugly turn. Can’t we please get the discussion back to my fantasies and PittGirl’s panties?

26. Mitch Cumstein
    November 6, 2008 1:09 pm

Put the #$%!ing lotion in the basket!

27. Kelli
    November 7, 2008 9:10 am

Bucdaddy – I plan on being there next week. I’ll keep my eye out for you. Too early to tell what fabulous outfit I’ll be wearing, but I’ll post it here to give you more clues to my identity when I figure it out.

28. medgirl
    November 8, 2008 12:24 pm

God Help us all. I think I will quit work and live on welfare the rest of my life to get handouts from the government and get more than I will with my full time job. Hey, that sounds pretty good…..Thanks Obama!