It is FINALLY OVER!

Did something … important happen last night or something?

HAH!

Just kidding, you silly Burghers!

We have a new president-elect and as you know The Burgh Blog pretty much stays out of national politics because that is a volcano of angry burning bubbling fire that this virgin does not wish to fling herself into.

HAH!

Just kidding, you silly Burghers!

So, truly, there’s no other way to say it.  Half of you are sad and half of you are hungover from celebrating.

My mom and dad?  Sadcakes.

Me?  Of course I voted for one of them and I’m not telling you which one because remember we talked about the volcano just a minute ago?  Hot.

My mother and father are not the type that vote based on race, so don’t even go there (Mom originally was going to vote Barack and Mom and Dad have both been involved in community racial reconciliation events over the years), but they are very educated constituents who have done their homework and believe in the Republican Party platform.  There is nothing wrong with that, at all.

On Halloween evening, I was unfortunate enough to be stuck in the middle of a heated debate between a group of immediate and extended family members, a debate that Pens Fan of all people started when she threw a political verbal grenade into the middle of the room and then sat back and watched the war.

[shakes cute little fist at Pens Fan]

As the discussion became more heated, I interjected what I hoped was a preemptive strike against what was sure to be my parents’ great displeasure when Barack Obama won the office.

PittGirl: Mom.  Listen.  There are 60 million people that are going to vote for Barack Obama, not all 60 million of them are complete idiots with no grasp of economics.  Therefore, you have to understand and believe that if he’s voted in, well, then there’s good in him.  The same way you wouldn’t want all 60 million people that vote for McCain to be dismissed as radical, right wing nutjobs.  Oh.  Hey.  Dad.  (Just kidding, Daddy!)

Mom: Do you know this man’s policies?  Have you read his economic plan?

PittGirl: Look.  I’m not talking about politics here.  I’m just saying don’t freak out.  I believe in the Constitution.  I believe in checks and balances.  I don’t believe any one man will truly drive America to a point that America can’t recover.  America survives wars, depressions, terrorism.  Just take comfort in the Constitution.  If he royally mucks it up as you fear he will, in two years America will fix it in Congress and in four years, America will fix it in the White House.

Mom: Bllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.  [more about how I’m a Pollyanna and that this Pollyannaism is really starting to irk her.]

PittGirl: I’m NOT trying to argue with you here.  I’m just trying to give you and Dad something hopeful and comforting to cling to come election day because Barack Obama is going to win and I just don’t want you two slitting your wrists on Tuesday night.

Mom?  Dad?!  OMG.  Call 911.

Update: An email from Tina Fey:

Yo, PG.  So, did mom and dad totally lose it last night?  I want to know what Pens Fan said that got mom all twitterpated last week.  D [Tina Fey’s 6-year-old adopted Mexican son] has been learning about the election in school, and he calls Barack Obama “Mr. Rock Obama.”

He thought it was cool that the new president is brown like him.

I’m betting mom drank herself into a stupor last night and if I call her this morning she’ll have a headache for some reason unknown to her.  Ah, good times, people.  Anyway, new day/new president.

Love, Me.

Hee.

UPDATE TWO: A new email from Tina Fey:

Yo, talked to mom this morning.  She’s actually quite positive and said she did not drink herself into a stupor.  However, she said that dad, who I had forgotten was visiting at Ohio Sister’s house, had apparently set up shop on her couch with two bottles of wine.  So he’s probably in the stupor this morning.

Love, Me.

HEE!

1. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 5, 2008 8:58 am

I am a proud African American today. Although my vote was not racially motivated, because I was originally a Hillary Clinton supporter, but I can truly say that this is a proud moment in American history. We have overcame.

2. PensPrincess
    November 5, 2008 9:04 am

Well said…

I, for one, do not believe in our new President’s economic plan. However, he has some really good points on the Social side of things. Don’t believe in all of McCain’s platforms either but I did my research and voted for whom I felt was the best fit…not saying who bc that whole volcano scares me a bit.

I am thrilled so many people voted, even if they don’t really know his platforms, but my hope is that this gets more people involved and more people to START learning.

I too believe in our Constitution and believe in Liberty!

and if I may be so bold to say..God bless America and all of us!

3. MiamiShyner
    November 5, 2008 9:24 am

I will not open the lid to the volcano here, in respect for PG, since it’s her blog and all, but I did just want to say this:

I hope that we, as Americans, no matter your race, sex, religion or anything else, can come together now as a country, as a nation, and be strong and be proud and be that beacon that the President-elect mentioned.

Additionally, let us let last night serve as a reminder that we really can do whatever we put our minds to if we persevere.

4. PIttbekoutofpitt
    November 5, 2008 9:30 am

we all need to pray for this country. whether Obama or McCain had won… this country needs some serious praying-for.

November 5, 2008 9:36 am

“that is a volcano of angry burning bubbling fire that this virgin does not wish to fling herself into.

HAH!

Just kidding, you silly Burghers!”

About the virgin part?

“If he royally mucks it up as you fear he will, in two years America will fix it in Congress and in four years, America will fix it in the White House.”

This is good and true. The last time we gave the Democrats such unfettered power — the run of the White House, Senate and House (1992) — they managed to piss it away in two short years (thanks, Hillary!) and put Gingrich in charge. And then HE promptly mucked it up. Good times.

American keeps you on a short leash, she has a short attention span and she likes her equilibrium.

Meantime: Watch your wallets, people.

Oh, BTW, I voted Libertarian. Take THAT, volcano!

(OT to Kelli: See you in Homestead in a week? I’ll be the handsome devil in the bright yellow WVU hoodie, with two other already scruffy guys who will suffer considerably in their unfortunate proximity to me.)

6. Jim
    November 5, 2008 9:38 am

John McCain did not win my vote, but his concilliation speech won my respect. He was gracious, and his words were meant to bring people together, not further divide them. No matter who you voted for, let’s all hope this country begins to work as one people to solve our problems.

7. Brian
    November 5, 2008 9:39 am

I believe that, in the end, the two people running for president are good, decent men, and no matter what their platforms are/were, not 100 percent of that will come to fruition. Granted, Obama will have a good shot at having success with his party in good shape in Congress, but nothing is to be taken for granted. McCain gave a sturdy, gracious concession speech that felt honest, and I think he’ll likely very willingly work with the new president. I didn’t feel dirty after hearing him talk the way I did every time Bush finished speaking.

There are elements of both of their plans that will benefit some, not benefit all. Also, both were trying to win an election, so much of what they said has to be considered as trying to gain leverage. I guess it all depends on where you stand personally (well, duh). As far as I’m concerned, I feel Obama’s plan makes more sense, and while I don’t fall in line with every thing he says/stands for, I believe in him.

But last night’s election results, no matter where you stand, should be appreciated for what they are and what they mean to history. I, as a white male, am not even sure I can understand the magnitude nor the joy African Americans are feeling. Now, I don’t believe anyone should have voted for or against Obama because of his race. That’s nary a qualification for becoming president. But last night marked an incredible accomplishment that seemed completely impossible not so long ago. I have my days where I have shaken faith in the country and its people, but last night wasn’t one of those nights.

8. pittgirl
    November 5, 2008 9:40 am

bucdaddy,

Yes, I was joking about the virgin part.

So that either destroys or solidifies your fantasy?

9. JamieO
    November 5, 2008 9:47 am

bucdaddy, you suck – you took my line about kidding and PittGirl’s virginal status.

The best thing about this is people are saying they did their research. I had no respect for the people who said “I don’t know what _________ stands for”. Take about 20 minutes from Dancing with the Stars and go to the candidate’s Web site and read what they stand for. But reading is so HAAAAARRRRRDDDDD!

PittGirl, both sports and politics make some people either lose their sense of logic/reason or their sense of etiquette or both. Family gatherings get destroyed by this stuff, good for you for a level head. Both my parents are like I am, a Dem, but there is a branch of my family that are sort of conservative. Well, I don’t want to insult conservatives, because they are bat-shit wacky and never met a paranoid chain email they didn’t like. I will do my best to ignore them this Thanksgiving and Christmas; my brother tells me my one cousin is convinced black folks will riot and loot Election night when Obama wins because he will let them do it (that prediction worked out well).

I thought both speeches last night were outstanding and consolatory. We need to strike that tone.

10. Maria
    November 5, 2008 10:00 am

“He thought it was cool that the new president is brown like him.”

When I read that I got this huge goofy smile on my face and a little teary. Regardless of who anyone supported, you have to admit this election inspired so many people. I read today that it was the highest voter turnout in a century. Amazing.

11. B
    November 5, 2008 10:04 am

NYLuvsPitt~

It was amazing to be a resident of NYC last night.

For those that think now the world is going to hell in a handbasket–calm down. It’s not like America elected Flavor Flav : ) If he sucks, we vote him out and start over. It’s the beauty of democracy. So let’s give it a chance.

Lastly–when you looked at the crowds last night–pics of all over the world, remember that you saw faces that represent every single kind of person in this country. Whether or not you voted for the winner, you must say that it is amazing to see people who are so different come together. It’s going to be okay, guys. Not perfect, but it will be okay.

12. BobM
    November 5, 2008 10:09 am

God bless you PittGirl. You have properly put this whole experience into proper perspective.
    “We the People” have spoken.

Yeah, I’m one of the sadcakes today, but life goes on.

13. PittinDC
    November 5, 2008 10:23 am

I think the most encouraging thing to come out of this election was what one girl in NYC being interviewed said on national TV last night – she didn’t vote for Obama, but either way, it was a historic election, and she was excited to be a part of it. The fact that someone who voted for McCain was still excited to be celebrating an Obama victory to me seemed as though there may be hope for us yet.

November 5, 2008 10:24 am

PG: Ummm … I’m sure you can flesh out either fantasy quite well, depending on your mood of a night. The drawer’s big enough for the white undies AND the scarlet undies, and so is my imagination.

XOXOXOX

15. Monty
    November 5, 2008 10:26 am

Jesus, Bucdaddy. Does it rub the lotion on its skin, too?

November 5, 2008 10:29 am

mr. obama — you’ve been given the keys to the car. don’t put it in the ditch.

pittgirl — you had me at “do-me boots”.

17. C
    November 5, 2008 10:37 am

It is good to see a lot of the people posting have hope that the country can come together and if the politicians don’t do their job we can always vote them out. Unfortunately I have no faith that a majority of Americans or Pennsylvanians will inform themselves enough to vote out somebody who has not done the job. I will, however, give the man a chance.

18. McSmooth
    November 5, 2008 10:41 am

Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says, “They suck”. But where do people think these politicians come from? They don’t fall out of the sky. They don’t pass through a membrane from another reality.

No, they come from American homes, American families, American schools, American churches, American businesses, and they’re elected by American voters. This is the best we can do, folks. It’s what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out.

If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you’re going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. Term limits ain’t going to do any good; you’re just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans.

So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it’s not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here… like, the public. Yeah, the public sucks. There’s a nice campaign slogan for somebody: ‘The Public Sucks. Fuck Hope.’

19. McSmooth
    November 5, 2008 10:50 am

Because if it were the fault of these politicians, then where are the bright, honest, intelligent people of conscience that will step in and lead the way and save the day. We don’t have people like that in this country. Everyone’s at the mall. . .scratching their ass, picking their nose and buying a pair of sneakers with lights in them.

20. KGC
    November 5, 2008 11:00 am

McSmooth.. There are a lot of bright, honest, ientelligence people of conscience who could step i and lead.. trouble is, they don’t want to go thorough a 2-year anal exam (see “Joe the Plumber”, where we knew more about Joe in 24 hours than we knew about obama in 2 years). (Yes, I referred to obama as obama with lower-case o and will do so.)

I will not get into any arguments nor will I say more except… What are the obama supporters going to do when they realize that obama is not to pay for their gas or their mortage? Or that they will still be poor and stupid in 2 years, 4 years?

21. spoon
    November 5, 2008 11:08 am

so hey about about that CNN reporter hologram! Please let us not see that again.

22. Johnny
    November 5, 2008 11:11 am

History will tell if this moment was a turning point in America, and the world. I believe this is our generation’s moon landing, our Kittyhawk, our emancipation. This moment should change the world and, I hope, for the better. Not only do we have our first African-American president, but he is someone who seeks change on a monumental level we have not seen the likes of since JFK. How far we have come since JFK and the Civil Rights Movement. Could you have whispered to Rosa Parks on that bus in 1955 that her actions on that day would result in the election of America’s first black president 53 years later? Would she have believed you?

It has been 8 very long years but our national nightmare is finally over and we have woken to a bright new dawn. There is hope, there is opportunity, there is pride. I know now what Michelle Obama means when she says she is proud of her country for the first time in her adult life because hope is making a comeback. I feel the same. Now don’t F*** it up.

23. Sexy Jesus
    November 5, 2008 11:16 am

KGC, leaving tiny thought turds on the floor and then running for the exit. Quite brave and bitter. You should have listened to your candidate’s concession speech, but – to borrow from JamieO – I suppose real listening is too haaaaaaaaard.

btw, i think both candidates are good men and patriots. We would have been better off with either option.

24. Brian
    November 5, 2008 11:19 am

KGC, Joe “the Plumber” was a plant, which I will always spell in quotes. But I respect your opinion.

25. Dan (Not Onarato)
    November 5, 2008 11:19 am

Im a republican…voted republican…and will give the man a chance. Democrats have been waiting for this day for a long time. It’ll be nice when I dont have to hear them complain of how the country sucks or Bush sucks. Hopefully this shuts him up.

Im going to go back and cling to my guns and read the bible…

Good luck obama…you have alot of work to do…

26. kbl guy
    November 5, 2008 11:20 am

It is time for a generation change in Washington. I believe that’s what the people voted for yesterday. Let’s welcome that starting in January and (excuse me PG) move forward!

27. Christine
    November 5, 2008 11:21 am

I’m sad today but life goes on. I don’t think many people took time to read anything or look beyond the “Hey, I’m gonna give you money back and everything’s gonna change” rhetoric. I also think some of his talk about the Bill of Rights not giving the federal government enough power and the need for some kind of domestic security force are downright terrifying. But hey, the people have spoken. I agree with PittGirl that really intelligent people voted the way I didn’t. I’ll hope and pray for the best. One nation under God (so far we’re still allowed to say that).

28. Addie
    November 5, 2008 11:30 am

KGC – don’t be ugly. The 62.9 million people who voted Obama/Biden are stupid and poor? Really? For the good of society, please takes some cues from McCain’s concession speech and have some class.

29. SesquipedalianProse
    November 5, 2008 11:39 am

At 7:15 last night, I talked to my mother. I asked her, “Did you vote?”

She replied, “No.”

“You have 45 minutes, we vote a half a block from our house, and the lines are short.”

“I don’t feel like it.”

And it was then that I felt pity and left her alone.

—-

McCain’s concession speech was great. I felt more emotion coming from the loser than the winner, and that’s saying a lot.

I concur with both men. “God Bless America.”

30. Dan (Not Onarato)
    November 5, 2008 11:43 am

Addie…if you remember a few short years back…the Dems were complaining when when Bush beat Gore (by electoral college and not popular vote) and then beat Kerry 4 years later.

I havent checked to confirm this yet but didnt Bush have roughly the same number votes versus Kerry in ’04 as Obama/Biden had last night?

31. Kat
    November 5, 2008 12:02 pm

“I don’t feel like it.”

I got kind of cheesed about the heartwarming stories of octo- and nonogenarians who were voting for the first time. Okay, great it’s good that they got out there, but not ever voting in your whole life is not really something to be proud of. Voting is important. It’s part of your civic duty as an American, and shouldn’t be taken for granted.

32. Addie
    November 5, 2008 12:08 pm

Dan –

I think you’re right, it’ll be close. The votes aren’t fully counted yet, but so far Obama has about one million votes more that Bush got in 2004.

That wasn’t really my point, though – I just think it’s foolish and offensive to assert that Obama’s supporters are “poor and stupid,” as KGC so eloquently put it. I admired McCain’s tone of reconciliation last night (even as the crowd booed) and I hope that his supporters can also find it within themselves to move on.

33. C
    November 5, 2008 12:28 pm

Brian,

Whether Joe the Plumber was a plant or not (both parties are guilty of this), the question was a legitimate one and should not have provoked the response it did from the Obama team or the mainstream media. Are we not allowed to ask tough questions of our future leaders? It is true that we knew more about Joe in 24 hrs than we still know about our new President. Seriously something wrong with that.

34. Dan (Not Onarato)
    November 5, 2008 12:30 pm

Gotcha-

Did anyone else get tired of seeing Oprah or Jessie Jackson in the crowd during the Obama speech?? Or was it just me?
    I understand that its an emotional night as well as an historical one. But heck there were thousands of people there last night and it seemed like it was every other shot was one or the other.

35. Mitch Cumstein
    November 5, 2008 12:48 pm

Crap! The election was yesterday??? I missed it – I so meant to vote, but I thought it was today.

Srsly, I’m not a big fan of what Bush has done, but I get the feeling we’re on a big boat headed into a giant storm and our skipper is the guy who rents paddleboats at Kennywood.

Maybe I should move to AlecBaldwinia.

November 5, 2008 12:49 pm

I’m actually more disappointed that supposedly intelligent Democratic voters in my native Pennsylvania sent that vile weasel Bill DeWeese back to Harrisburg to lead your party in the state House.

Have you no sense of decency, Pennsylvania?

Also the King of Pork, John Murtha, whom Esquire declared one of the 10 worst people in Congress. I better NOT hear a freaking WORD about bridges in Alaska.

37. B
    November 5, 2008 12:55 pm

Let’s not nitpick people. It is what it is. I lived in Florida for 10 years and my first time I was able to vote I was 19 in the year 2000. I won’t even go into the whole Florida debate, because first of all, it was 8 years ago. Secondly, that is a really sore subject for a lot of Floridians, no matter who you voted for and it’s a debate that will never be won. Move on. My guy didn’t win in 2000 or 2004, but it didn’t stop me from being part of AmeriCorps when President Bush made a call for it in 2001 or supporting my president, or being a productive citizen. Some people may feel bad, but a lot of other people felt horrible in these last years too. Half the country is going to be pissed right now, the other, happy. Case in point 2000/2004. And we all have that right. And while it is our duty to criticize and demand answers from our new president, it’s also our duty to try and be supportive in some form or another. That doesn’t mean agreeing with all policies. It just means making an effort to heal and move on as best we can.

38. Brian
    November 5, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey C,

I agree with what you’re saying, and I didn’t explain my point thoroughly. Yes, we certainly should ask tough questions of our leaders. Totally, totally agree. And much of the media was softer on Obama. But the Joe plant got more play and more positioning than anything else in the past. It dominated the third debate. His background, because of how important he was suddenly made (and that was McCain’s doing) did leave him open for scrutiny and investigation. He was made a centerpiece of some of Palin’s speeches. Did it go too far? Probably. But it’s not like the guy removed himself from the spotlight and went back to his “normal life.” I think the media sensed the lack of legitimacy and went after it. And I would argue we know more about Joe the Plumber than Barack Obama. Anyone who says that hasn’t done any reading the past 4 years, and I don’t mean that as a slight to you. I’m sure you have.

39. Brian
    November 5, 2008 1:01 pm

Bad sentence: And I would argue we DON’T know more about Joe the Plumber than Barack Obama.

40. Christine
    November 5, 2008 1:11 pm

Good points Brian, but I would say the reason a lot of us are scared and sad today is that we HAVE done our reading and we DO know more about Barack Obama than about Joe the Plumber.

41. Nel
    November 5, 2008 1:21 pm

REAL America just woke up.
    Obama’s has the gift of empathy, which is something the Republican seriously lack.
    They just don’t get it. Thankfully, their days are numbered. The world is a far different place now. They can go spread their hate among themselves. No one’s listening anymore.

42. Brian
    November 5, 2008 1:25 pm

Hey Christine,

Well, if you’ve done your research and don’t like what you see, just hope that everyone can work together and do right for Americans and not the party lines. As B said above, half of the nation is upset today, and that’s understandable. But maybe Obama will end up surprising you and being a good commander in chief, and maybe he won’t. Good thing is if it doesn’t work out, he’ll lose his job in four years. I hope for all of us, he’s an overwhelming success. I don’t think we can handle any more failure.

43. Nel
    November 5, 2008 1:26 pm

OK, I wrote above post in a hurry and hit publish before rereading.
    Obama’s has??????

44. beaner
    November 5, 2008 1:39 pm

I voted for McCain but definitely not an Obama hater. Turned on WTAE at 11 pm. Wendy had a HUGE, open-mouth grin on her face and was borderline obnoxious in reporting Obama’s victory. What is that? Sorry, PittGirl, love you, but I don’t know what you see in her. I had to turn the channel.

45. BagitTagit
    November 5, 2008 1:43 pm

Obama won. Good for Obama. McCain conceded. Good for McCain.

More importantly to me, the 90% of American “arm-chair political quarterbacks” can go back to not paying attention other than to toss out words like “hate” “idiot” and “national nightmare” every time a political discussion comes up. As for me, I’ll see what happens with those last 4 senate seats before I decide what’s next or who has what sort of mandate. Even without them the D’s will be able to pull enough R’s for most issues, but some of the really scary legislation looks like it will be shelved.

It’s going to be a rocky road for Obama. I think, unfortunately, a lot of people who came out to vote, will become disenfranchised very quickly. Everyone is expecting big changes but the economy will force those changes to be put on hold or made into small changes. People will get disgruntled. They won’t take the time to see what the real problems are that hold them back. Anti-war D’s will be upset because they didn’t notice him softening his stance towards the end. They’ll get disgruntled. And people who voted on the economy don’t realize the economy is cyclical. They want someone to blame and don’t realize everyone’s to blame. People spending too much on housing. Golden parachutes. The elimination of the banking bill in 99 (unanimously supported by D’s). All parts to the whole. No one president really has the power to fix the economy. Or ruin it. And people won’t take the time to realize that the changes Obama makes, most likely won’t help for 2, maybe 4, maybe 10 years.

I’m actually surprised the D’s didn’t fare better Tuesday. A giant amount of votes for Obama and little actual change to the political alignment of Congress. Obama won and pulled enough votes to push an agenda, but did not receive large congressional majorities he really needed. He’s not going to have a filibuster-proof Senate.

I’m happy the electoral process “moved forward” without a hitch and I’m glad I got to be a part of history. I’m glad people were so excited they took to the streets all over the world. My guy didn’t win but now Obama’s my guy. I wish him well.

Love – “an un-empathetic hater”

46. Christine
    November 5, 2008 1:56 pm

BagIt — I’m with you. We have a new guy; let’s give him a chance. Great point that the effects of many policies enacted in this administration won’t be felt for many years — that’s why Bush keeps getting blamed for economic decisions and policies (the whole “fair lending” mess) enacted by his predecessor.

47. chris
    November 5, 2008 2:12 pm

Christine, the “fair lending mess” as you put it – i.e. code for lending to the poor and minorities – was not the root cause of our economic pains. More than 80% of the subprime loans were made outside of the CRA, to people who simply wanted a bigger McMansion or to borrow some equity for that new Beamer. Sorry, can’t blame the poors and the coloreds for everything.

PS – Bush/Cheney pulled the whole “blame it on the prior administration card” better than anyone ever has. 9/11 – Clinton’s fault. 2001 recession – Clinton’s fault. 2008 economic crisis – Clinton’s fault?? Are you effing kidding me? I suppose the 2010 (I’m an optimist) economic recovery will be all Bush’s doing, no?

48. C
    November 5, 2008 2:14 pm

Brian-

Making some sense

49. Sexy Jesus
    November 5, 2008 2:20 pm

Ditto 48. Also, if I can summarize Christine’s position in two sentences it would be, “Obama was elected, but I don’t like it. I will give him until Friday to prove that he has stopped burning the flag while reciting the Qur’an.”

50. JP
    November 5, 2008 2:34 pm

What an effing cluster F the last 8 years have been I am just happy that the W and the rest of the Rapture squad are on the way out.