Random n’at.

1.  I am happy to report that Father of PittGirl did not slit his wrists over the election.

2.  Check this out. A Google Street view of Sampsonia Way on the Northside with staged scenes all in the name of art.

You know me and art, we’re like  –>                    THIS                         <–.

But this is art I find interesting.

Simply click the arrows up and back Sampsonia Way, zoom in, zoom out, look around and see what you can find.

Look for the garage band practice, the marathon, the sword fight (LARP!), what appears to be mad scientists testing out their laser beam of LOOOOVE which causes some foil to fall in love with a microwave. ?. I think.  And lots more good stuff.  Happy hunting!

(h/t Jeffrey)

3.  Speaking of LARP, I found another great great photo.

4.  This has got to be a joke.  From Greenpeace.org:

The latest victims, it seems, are two pigeons arrested in Iran for espionage:

Iranian security forces have arrested two pigeons suspected of spying on one of the country’s nuclear facilities. The birds were captured near the heavily-bunkered underground uranium enrichment plant in Natanz.

What fate awaits them at the hands of their Iranian captors?

I don’t know, but I hope it involves some sort of ripping or plucking or wringing OF THEIR SCRAWNY NECKS.

Also, I’m going to make a T-shirt that says, “Kill the Natanz Two”.

(h/t Shawn)

5.  The subject header of an email from reader JP:

Not trying to be an A-hole here but you need to think about these kinds of things when you rail against a community for not being more pro-active reporting crimes like you did in that post a while back‏.

This is the article he’s referring to, and this is my post he’s referring to.

I’m sorry.  I will never throw my support behind the “No Snitching” culture.

If “No Snitching” becomes a way of life, then the communities are simply giving violence free reign and they are handing their streets over to thugs who can be confident their crimes will go unreported and unpunished.

It’s a war.  This young man was an unfortunate casualty.  But I’m still hoping the good guys can pull out a win.

6.  Pierre LeBrun breaks down the Pens/Caps rivalries:

Ovechkin versus Malkin: I’m taking Ovechkin. I think he could throw ’em pretty good if he wanted to.

Crosby versus Semin: We’ll take Sid the Kid. He’d use his tree-trunk legs to wrestle Semin to the ice.

Mario Lemieux versus Ted Leonsis: Not a very fair fight, but who knows? Maybe Ted has a move or two we don’t know about.

Ray Shero versus George McPhee: Hey, Shero grew up with his dad’s Broad Street Bullies, right?

Michel Therrien versus Bruce Boudreau: The Pens’ coach is a street brawler.

(h/t Jen)

7.  So tell me, if you see a chick walking down the street in this shirt, will you assume it is me?

(h/t Alex)

8.  Weirdest spam ever:  “Gay animal sex!”  Really?

9.  What if Ben Roethlisberger is just bad?

(h/t John)

10.  Phil, the ultra-marathoner that is running across the country for the Mario Lemieux Foundation has arrived in Pittsburgh and will be honored at the game tonight.

Phil’s Current Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Miles run so far: About 2950
Miles remaining: About 350

My mind is all [boggle].

1. Brett
    November 6, 2008 10:54 am

Thank you for not mentioning Forrest Gump when writing about Phil the ultra-masochistic marathon runner…

2. pittgirl
    November 6, 2008 10:55 am

Dude. I almost did. But I didn’t.

Win!

3. Sue
    November 6, 2008 11:27 am

God I hate how ALL QB’s not just Ben take all the heat when things go bad.

So its been “subpar”. Lets not forget how he NEVER lost a game in OHIO. How he saved the season and Jerome Bettis’s legacy with one tackle. How he makes plays happen when the Matador Starks turnstiles LB’s into his shoulder? Come on man!
    Stop hatin! Lets not get ignorant and hurt his play even more with boos and Leftwich love.

4. Norman Huelsman
    November 6, 2008 11:27 am

What a great view on sampsonia way. I used to live in that neighborhood and I’m really glad to see the life and vibrancy there. Go Mattress Factory.

And I will not assume you will be wearing an assassinate pigeons shirt. Unless they sell them at Macy’s. Yes I saw your love letter in the window. See you under the clock.

5. Jim
    November 6, 2008 11:37 am

I absolutely love the Street View thing, thanks for sharing it! Gotta take note of these names on the Participants page:

Askarus and Twolf of Angaron Dagorhir

LARPers perhaps?

6. Mrs. Pitsberger
    November 6, 2008 11:57 am

Thank you, Sue!! And may I add that Ben had the 2nd best passer rating in the league based on his performance for ALL OF LAST YEAR? That’s hardly a fluke.

7. maxtalbot
    November 6, 2008 12:04 pm

RE No. 2. That’s my hood. We are geeks. But we are fun geeks.

8. Amandr
    November 6, 2008 2:20 pm

Jim–

I know those two guys and what they’re doing, while kind of like LARP, is more of a contact sport called Dagorhir. My husband broke his ankle and needed surgery to bolt it back together playing that game. It’s hardcore. And no one goes around screaming “lightning bolt,” not if they want to keep their donkey omelets outside their body cavity.

Those pics were planned. They made a day out of going to that street and waiting for the google car.

9. Greg
    November 6, 2008 2:44 pm

It’s very unfortunate that the witness was killed for trying to do the right thing. But at least he was trying! If the community comes together and turns these people in Every One will be safer. Just my opinion.

10. Jill
    November 6, 2008 3:06 pm

OMG I’ve seen the dudes playing “Killer Knights”. There is a group that meets on Sunday’s just off of the Highland Park Bridge going towards Oakland.(sorry dont know what the street is) My sister and I stopped and took pics of them just because it was that funny. If your ever in the area do yourself a favor and stop and watch. They are way to nerdy and serious that you will have mental pictures for quite a while. Oh and a BIG THANK YOU for posting the pictures of the topless Marc Andre Fleury and Hall Gill yesterday. Really made my day and am thinking of making them my wallpaper on the computer.

11. Meredith
    November 6, 2008 3:30 pm

My husband was the one driving the Google car when the filming was done on Sampsonia Way. No lie.

12. Bram R
    November 6, 2008 3:44 pm

9. I made it 4/5s though before I realized it was an Onion sports article. Funny thing is, at the halfway mark, I caught myself thinking “He’s a genius!” And then wondering why Rothlisberger isn’t scrambling and sliding for first downs.

13. Sooska
    November 6, 2008 4:14 pm

#4 did the Iranian Secret Police read them their rights or just gouge their eyes out?

14. Sofa King
    November 6, 2008 4:22 pm

Seriously, Meredith? How does one get that gig?

15. Deutschtown Frau
    November 6, 2008 4:28 pm

Also, Meredith? If the person Google-mapping your street takes photos of you or your family members without their knowledge and those are on the WWW for anyone to see, do you have any recourse?

See, we didn’t dress up in our LARP best, so we’re not too thrilled with the situation. We would totally have been out there with helmets and swords.

16. Still A Fan
    November 6, 2008 7:23 pm

#3 I just can’t stop laughing. It’s like the Village People are having a reunion! Look at those idiots. I get the two guys on the right for what they are doing. However….what the hell do a ninja and a gay track star have to do with larping? Instead of :lightning bolt” or “death touch” he must have been hit with “keep your sword and boots and gym shorts from 1977 but lose everything else TOUCH”

17. Meredith
    November 6, 2008 9:25 pm

@Sofa King – Temp agency, actually. Adecco landed him the job the first time around last year, and then when they got the new and improved camera, they contacted him again.

@Deutschtown Frau – My understanding is if you don’t want to appear on Street View, contact Google and ask them to A.) blur out your face in the photo, or B.) remove the frames in which you are included.

18. Joe
    November 9, 2008 7:33 pm

Big Ben said he was going to play better he went out tonight and did what he has been doing all year. For 110 million dollars you think he could throw the ball to the guys in the black jerseys. If the shoulder is a problem sit him and play Leftwich……..