The one where Mike Tomlin brings the snark.

As you know, The Duke of Fug and The Earl of Gross is sucking major donkey omelets lately when it comes to playing football.

Now, before you Fug Bunnies come hopping at me with your big angry chompers a-gnashing, I will acknowledge a few things:

1. A part of Benny’s poor performance is due to a sometimes shitty O-line that seems to collapse under the weight of a drop of spittle.
  2. A part of Benny’s poor performance is due to his injuries.
  3. A part of Benny’s poor performance is due to his receivers (hiya, Asshat!) dropping catchable balls.

IF … and it’s a big IF.  IF you Fug Bunnies acknowledge a few things:

1. Benny holds on to the ball too long.
  2. Benny doesn’t run when he should.
  3. Benny’s not playing good football right now.

Do we have an agreement?  Great.  Now, that said, The Duke admits he sucks as of late.  Donkey omelets to be exact.  Big ones.

“You know what? I have played sub-par football to date,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s time for that to change and it will change.

Well, I’d say a 15.1 passer rating is more like sub-triple-bogey football, but why split hairs?  The man knows he needs to fix something.

Roethlisberger was asked yesterday if it would not be wise to sit out this week, including the game against Indianapolis, to give his sore right shoulder a rest.

“You all want me to take a week off, don’t you?” he said. “It seems like everyone’s saying that to me.”

He sounds a little hurt by that doesn’t he?   But actually, if you watch the video at the P-G, The Duke is very laid back and gracious.  And also not looking too Fug or Gross.

But this.  This is what had me doubled over in laughter as I carpooled in today with my BIL reading the article aloud to him:

“Ben has his opinion, and, if it is about helping us win and be better, then I concur,” Tomlin said.

Oh, Mike Tomlin.  You snarky smokin’ hot beast of a Burgher.

Mwah!

1. Peg
    November 6, 2008 9:33 am

Ben sucks and he’s a big ass baby! Give Leftwich a chance.

Anyway, I wonder if the O-line has been sending Ben a message.

2. maxtalbot
    November 6, 2008 9:53 am

Mike Tomlin is perhaps the most quotable coach in pro sports. You have to love that guy.

3. SteelyMcStupid
    November 6, 2008 11:01 am

Ben needs a week or two to watch Byron do the things a QB is this leauge is supposed to do. Release the ball, step up and throw, and check down to the back when his WRs are covered.

Great talent, that Big Big, just needs to reassess and think about it. The team will fair well with Byron for a week or two.

4. apk
    November 6, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey, anybody remember when it was Ben’s idea to open up the offense against the Ravens, and how he practically put the team on his back to win that huge game? Or, you know, all the ridiculous plays he made to help us win the Jacksonville game (btw: the pick-six in that game wasn’t his fault)? Oh, and then there was that time he lit up the scoreboard against the Bengals. But who remembers any of that, right– He threw four picks against the best team in the league: one that fell right out of Washington’s hands and into the defender’s; one that came on 4th and 2 and had the net result of a stuffed run; and one that was the result of a spectacular diving catch by a Giant d-back. But despite that, and despite a relentless rush, we probably win that game if the longsnapper doesn’t shred his ACL. Oh, and he had one really bad half where his receivers were dropping everything.

Yeah. Ben sucks. We should totally bench him. I’m not an apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but this “Ben sucks” talk stretches all credibility. Dance with the girl that brung ya. Especially when that girl’s one of the five best QBs in the League, and the backup couldn’t start in ATL last year.

5. firefly88
    November 6, 2008 12:33 pm

Hey, I gotta agree with APK. In spite of everything, Ben has brought us to a 6-2 win-loss record so far, good enough to lead the AFC North and second best in the conference after the Titans. (And don’t forget, the Titans’ perfect season has been played against bottom-tier teams, while the Steelers have been playing against some of the NFL’s best.)

Ben’s play has been ragged, but he’s also been freakin’ awesome at times this season too.

Oh — and how about adding one more item to the list of reasons why the Steeler offense has struggled: Bruce Arians’ playcalling sucks!

6. SteelyMcStupid
    November 6, 2008 12:50 pm

like i said, apk. sit him for a game, let him heal, tell him to watch another experienced QB who is playing solid ball so he can get his stuff back.

7. Dr. Otto Van DerWahl
    November 6, 2008 12:58 pm

I’ve noticed that Ben has a ‘tell’ on right side running plays. Has anybody else picked up on that?

8. kkinLA
    November 6, 2008 5:44 pm

GO FIREFLY!!! I scream regularly at my TV, “Fire Arians’ a@@!!” He’s the worst. And in my opinion, the sole reason why we can’t get anything going on offense. Sure, Ben has his inconsistencies, but I feel more confident in him than I do in the shitty-ass plays that Ben has to try and do something with!

9. Sue
    November 6, 2008 6:09 pm

He’s our guy. Arians and a few other “should find a day job” O liners need to go.

10. not a fan of duke of fug
    November 7, 2008 4:38 am

He is by far the most overrated QB in the NFL. And personally, he’s an asshole.

11. a minion
    November 8, 2008 12:32 pm

Pittgirl pittgirl pittgirl…

Sweet heart I would like to see you do the things ben does on the football field with a hurt shoulder. And its not just any shoulder, its the shoulder of the man responsible for taking Steeler Nation to the Lombardi. Seriously Name one QB in the league that would still be playing right now. And by the way he holds the ball because he HAS NOTHING TO THROW TO! Seriouly learn the game!

Ben is the man and if you can’t ride the highs and lows with him then get off the bandwagon!

And by the way if Byron is so great then why was he avaliable to a team that has there starting QB set in stone for the next 8 years?

12. not a fan of duke of fug
    November 8, 2008 1:56 pm

minion:

His GREATNESS (in your eyes) is still no excuse to be an asshole.