Random n’at.

1.  Good cold windy leafy morning, Burghers far and wide.

If you live in Miami or Arizona and it’s like 80 degrees today and sunny, try not to be too jealous of us up here in our turtlenecks and cute stripey scarves.

Not everyone can be as lucky as us.

2.  Pittsburgh Magazine’s Jonathan Wander interviewed me for their November issue.  An interview which he tells me came about as a referral from Justin of STBD fame.

You can read almost the entirety of our IM interview here and you can pick up the magazine to see what Jonathan had to say.  The interview will give you some information you’ve already heard and some information that might be new to you, including exactly how old I am, who I love, who I hate, and what I would change about our city.

I love the illustration, like I’m some blogging monster arising out of the confluence (ding!) to tell the whole city to be quiet.

I want that image in a larger format so that I can get it framed or something.

3.  Please read Najeh Davenport’s Wiki page and scroll to the bottom and give yourselves a GIANT PAT ON THE BACK!  Davenpoop!  The Defecator!  The Poopetrator!  They’re things!

But I don’t think we can take credit for The Dump Truck.

4.  Speaking of Najeh, look at Google’s suggestions when I start typing in “Najeh Dave…”

Hee.

5.  An up close and personal look at a PittGirl nightmare.  Try not to shit your pants.

(h/t Joe and Jayesel)

6.  The vintage Pitt shirt made another appearance on How I Met Your Mother and reader Ann Michelle is trying to find a place to purchase it.  Anyone know where she can buy it?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Dread Lord Zober?

7.  An email:

Dear PittGirl,

I volunteered to house Phil – the runner who is going across the country to Atlantic City – on Friday evening as he ran east of Pittsburgh.  He spent the night in Ligonier after running for the day between North Versailles and Ligonier – 36 miles for the day (without the buggy – I picked it up for him – that stretch of Rt 30 is dangerous!).

He had a grand time with the folks from the Mario Lemieux Foundation while in Pittsburgh.  When he asked how I found out about him, I mentioned your blog and he mentioned that they (the folks from the foundation) knew about your blog.   He was grateful for the mention and that people would take that information to help him out.

Just thought that you’d be happy that your blog indirectly was able to help him out.

Dan

It does make me happy!  Run, Phil!  Run!

And remember, it’s for sick kids.  YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE SICK KIDS.

8.  The Canadian Press on Troy Polamalu.

9.  David Conrad’s Jim died on Ghost Whisperer on Friday, and will now continue acting on the show as a ghost.  Rob Owen says in the comments of his Tuned In blog:

Wait ’til you see what comes next. I didn’t even understand all of it, especially in the third episode of this arc, but it seems like quite a stretch for a reset.

“Quite a stretch for a reset.”  Hmm.

I’m going with David’s character’s soul is eventually going to enter another body.  His twin’s body.  A twin we never knew about until now.

Yeah, that’s totally it.

10.  Lots of awesome pictures of David’s loft in the PG over the weekend, including a picture of his bed.

[thud]

I’m sorry.  I think I blacked out there for a minute.

Oh, hey look, there’s a picture of David Conrad’s bed!

[thud]

1. Three
    November 10, 2008 9:57 am

1) Amen, sister. Everyone always thought I was nuts for giving up the perpetual heat of South Florida, but golly, I LOVE me the change of seasons (though my rationale has nothing to do with turtlenecks and striped scarves). Playing volleyball on the beach on Christmas Eve doesn’t exactly give one that whole holiday feel, know what I mean?

2) Congrats on the interview! Can’t wait to read it! Guess I better get that green tea a brewin’, cause it ain’t gonna brew itself.

2. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 10, 2008 10:10 am

3) Hah!!! I love Wikipedia.

3. Jordan
    November 10, 2008 10:18 am

Was it me or was the guy who interviewed borderline-retarded? I mean, “Pbbthh” is pretty obvious in what that means. Its still Pittsburgh magazine, granted, but come on.

4. Three
    November 10, 2008 10:29 am

@Jordan: Believe it or not, I know a lot of media/reporter folks who think the Internet is a brandy new concept, and simply don’t get the lingo used. But of course, chances are if the average person heard all of the lingo used in the print publishing world, they would be equally confused.

Same planet, different worlds, ya know?

5. MiamiShyner
    November 10, 2008 10:44 am

1) It’s only 77 and may have not even been 70 when I went out to the car this morning. Not having seasons really sucks.

2) Very nice interview. I feel special that we’re the same age. Make sure you do something special for yourself for your 35th! :-)

Will you be able to overcome the depression of yesterday’s loss to put up the weekly review? (if you haven’t already…I’ve had this window open forever)

6. J
    November 10, 2008 10:48 am

OMG, I love the fact that his entire loft pays homage to the Pittsburgh and western PA region!

7. pittgirl
    November 10, 2008 10:55 am

I know for a fact that if I wrote “Pbtth.” in an email to my mother, she’d be all, “Goodness, my daughter cannot spell to save her life.”

8. Brian
    November 10, 2008 11:15 am

Hey Three,

Did you see Marty Griffin’s big “expose” on Craig’s List prostitution? He’s interviewing some officer and actually says, “The Internet. It’s really blowing up.” The lady and I exploded with laughter because it made him sound like he’s 78 years old (except he probably wouldn’t say ‘blowing up’ in that context at that age …).

9. susie
    November 10, 2008 11:27 am

didn’t someone post a link to an online store with the vintage pitt shirt the first time you wrote about it?

10. pittgirl
    November 10, 2008 11:29 am

Yep. But the shirt isn’t available at that retailer anymore.

11. RRL
    November 10, 2008 11:34 am

You can bet that in ten/twenty years there won’t be anyone nostalgic enough to product-place something with Pitt’s present-day bland logo or generic colors.

Jerry Seinfeld’s point about sports being like rooting for laundry is even more appropriate in college sports, where players are around for two, three or four years. I’m unable to figure out why Pitt insists on sticking with bad laundry.

November 10, 2008 11:45 am

2) PG, I was hoping that there was more to your interview than what was in PM — which was not too much. (after all, it lessens the room for all of those freakin’ ads.)

of course, I should have known to look on the PM website — since marty says that the internet is blowin’ up n’all…

3) DAVVV-en-POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!

hey, did anyone notice during yday’s sorryassexcuseofagame that our kickoff return yardage was a lot better than usual? see ya, deuce!!!

5) that IS scary. not sure if I’ll shit my pants, but that ol’ barry university student might want to be on the lookout for DAVVVV-en-POOOOOOOOOOP!!!

6) that vintage pitt shirt was cool — but, the old site was looking for, like, $25 or more for it. not gonna happen.

9) sorry, PG — but, I’ve never watched “ghost whisperer” — that is, until this past fri night with the woman I’m dating. she was none too happy about david’s character dying on that episode.

which makes me wonder — perhaps SHE is PG and I just didn’t know it. hmmmm. I’ll have to ask her how she feels about pigeons…….

13. Ms. Trois-Rivieres
    November 10, 2008 11:57 am

Just shut up, you and your breezy weather and fabulous ribbed turtlenecks. You lived in Texas. You know my pain.

P.S. Thirtysomething women are hot, aren’t we?

14. Puma
    November 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Great interview PG!

15. Bob
    November 10, 2008 12:44 pm

JW: Are you someone who’s well-known in the community,
    away from TBB?

PG: I am not well-known. I might be Ken Rice, apparently,
    though.

JW: Well, that brings up a question. Are you really female?

PG: I am.

JW: Are you a Pgh native? Where did you grow up?

PG: I am in fact a Pittsburgh native and I grew up in the suburbs of the city.

JW: Can u tell me where you went to school (high school or college or whatever)?

PG: I’d rather not. :) Look at me being all mysterious.

JW: I love it!

I love the failed attempt

Anyone That Reads The Blog Knows Its You Ken Rice

16. Three
    November 10, 2008 12:46 pm

@Brian: No, I didn’t get to see that Marty Griffin “expose” — but that’s hysterical none-the-less. What’s next, an expose in line with Homer Simpson’s “Did you know they have the Internet on computers now?”

Of course, I heard an older guy (early 60s) at work ask if a certain town was located in a certain township — and when no one could answer him, someone said, “Why don’t you google it?”

His response: “What the hell is goofle?”

/facepalm

My hypothesis: Knowledge of interweb customs/lingo is inversely proportional to age.

17. Sean
    November 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Great interview. I love the fact that it starts with “Hi, u there?” I’m guessing that’s how Paul Long started all of his interviews!

18. John
    November 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Awesome interview, PG!

19. Thee Dude
    November 10, 2008 3:51 pm

I like how D.C. says about renovating a builing in Braddock, “Let’s not forget the 100,000 people who lost their jobs in the ’80s,” he says. “I want to keep that in my head all the time.” Is it me, or is that church?

20. Elmer Palmer
    November 10, 2008 4:00 pm

On the matter of Mr. Davenport. He better be advicesed that Dan (Onorato) requires all post-rectal discharge to be filtered through the treetment plant before being exposed to nature

21. South Hills
    November 10, 2008 5:23 pm

So, you had lunch with David Conrad. The real question is, Does David Conrad know that he had luch with Pitt Girl?

22. Mrs. Pitsberger
    November 10, 2008 6:28 pm

They could have at least gotten someone with CURLY hair to pose as you.

And he says he reads the blog. Pbtth.

23. pittgirl
    November 10, 2008 7:54 pm

South Hills,

Yes, David is aware that he had lunch with PittGirl. He referred to me as the “blogging mistress.”

24. kkinLA
    November 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Great interview! I agree with the sentiment that Pittsburgh just gets its hold on you. I’ve lived in LA for nearly 12 years, and whenever a famous ‘Burgher is mentioned on TV, the radio, in print…wherever(!), I annoy the crap out of all around me by chiming in, “He/She is from Pittsburgh, you know!” as if I’m claiming some sort of credit by osmosis for growing up in the same city as them. Can’t help it. I’m proud of where I came from, of who we are as ‘Burghers, and yes, EVEN TODAY, I’m proud of the godddamn Pittsburgh Steelers! (sort of…)

25. PittCheMBA
    November 10, 2008 10:35 pm

#2 – PittGirl, Great interview.

26. Scott R Priester
    November 11, 2008 12:14 am

Regarding your “interview” in Pittsburgh magazine, I had a good laugh at your comment on why you remain anonymous. I believe you stated, that remaining anonymous allows you speak your mind. I believe remaining anonymous is cowardly.

I moved to Pittsburgh from Erie Pa just over two years ago and write regularly in the Erie Times and Pittsburgh Post Gazzette. My writings can/have been very controversial at times, but am proud to have my name published along with my opinions. I also take part in a lot of online discussion forums under my name. The web has created a whole new coward, but again am proud to use my full name always as my screen name.

It’s easy to spew your opinions and feelings under some ridiculous nick name, but it takes a real adult to do the same and sign their real name. Make fun of specific people in the press all you want, but they aren’t hiding behind some moniker.

Sincerely
    Scott R Priester

27. Brian
    November 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Scott R Priester, spell check. Spell check, Scott R Priester.

28. deegazette
    November 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Ugh!! The life of a parent prevents me from keeping up with this or any blog successfully until the weekend. Today after my daughter got home from a city school, we jumped in her car and the 16-year-old drove us to Joe Beth on SS to buy the book after TWILIGHT. They were all out and we jumped back in the car to drive to the Village and have Chinese food and buy the book at Barnes and Noble. Ain’t city life grand? You can get anywhere quickly and have a good time doing it in a car a 16-year-old paid for herself after riding to her volunteer job all of one summer on a PAT bus and working fulltime the next?

I am all for anonymity. I resent that great thought is not shared via op-ed pages because of identity confirmation. My kids want me to shut up and stay silent until I am a grandmother. pittgirl’s neices and nephews would not think of her as the “cool-aunt” if she were “out there” so to speak.