You know, if you take away the fact that it’s pretty late, this What They’re Really Thinking post is actually right on time.
Yesterday while watching the game, I believe right around the time Ben threw his third and final and according to Bob “I Heart Benny” Smizik, “harmless” interception:
Mom: Why aren’t they booing him? They should boo him.
Me: Why do you want them to boo Ben Roethlisberger.
Mom: Because he DESERVES IT.
I can’t argue with this kind of logic.
Let’s talk Steelers.
1. I’d say The Duke of Fug and the Earl of Gross is one poorly fought battle away from taking the crown of the Kingdom of All Football Suck.
Clearly he’s hurt, which is why I don’t understand why he’s playing.
I mean, Willie Parker takes a game off if his snot runs out of his nose wrong and The Duke is playing with a separated shoulder all, “It’s just a flesh wound.”
2. This from one of The Duke’s minions yesterday, before the game:
Pittgirl pittgirl pittgirl…
Sweet heart I would like to see you do the things ben does on the football field with a hurt shoulder. And its not just any shoulder, its the shoulder of the man responsible for taking Steeler Nation to the Lombardi. Seriously Name one QB in the league that would still be playing right now. And by the way he holds the ball because he HAS NOTHING TO THROW TO! Seriouly learn the game!
Ben is the man and if you can’t ride the highs and lows with him then get off the bandwagon!
First, if his shoulder is hurt, maybe he shouldn’t be playing when we’ve got a perfectly capable backup.
Second, there is a whole team responsible for taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl and that includes the coaches who should be playing the quarterback that can throw long if needed.
Third, Benny sucked donkey omelets yesterday.
Fourth, I don’t want to ride Ben Roethlisberger.
Fifth, I’m on Benny’s bandwagon? When did this happen? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure I waved to that horse-drawn buggy of carrot chomping Fug Bunnies and teeth gnashing minions as it passed me by three seasons ago.
Sixth, DON’T CALL ME SWEETHEART.
3. Hines Ward had a pretty good game and that flea-flicker or bug-squisher or whatever the heck it’s called? Excellent play and so fun to see. So fun to see it work, more importantly.
Also, he took care not to break any jaws yesterday.
4. Troysus managed to drop what would normally be an interception for him.
Polamalu figured he would hear about it when he got home.
“My wife will ask me, ‘How could you drop that interception?'”
Theodora isn’t the only one shaking her head in dismay.
5. Bob Smizik is clearly in love and wants to have Benny’s babies for this quote alone:
Beyond the interceptions, he outperformed the great Peyton Manning, who completed 21 of 40 passes for 240 yards.
Reader Joey parsed it this way:
Manning: 21/40, 240, 3 TD, 0 INT
Roethlisberger: 30/42, 284, 0 TD, 3 INT
So, taking away the interceptions, according to Bob 44 extra yards and negative 3 touchdowns = outperformed. Is this that newfangled New Math?
6. US Airways has more ground coverage than our running backs did yesterday.
7. Watching that final interception, Pens Fan said, “You know, I was sure that was going to get tipped into the hands of a Steeler. Stupid Steelers. Stupid Ben.” And then she shook her fist at the TV.
[shakes cute little fist]
8. Next week. The San Diego Chargers come to town and Bob Smizik hopefully removes his lips from Benny’s ass long enough to really watch the game.