Random n’at.

1.  Today is Veteran’s Day (hug a veteran!).  And I’m working.  It’s okay.  I have my Dunkin’ Donuts and maybe I’ll poke my head out of the building long enough to see the parade.

2.  Yesterday I was at Pens Fan’s house having dinner when I raided my 6-year-old nephew H’s Halloween stash and got caught red-handed.

H:  Hey!

PG:  What?

H:  What are you doing?

PG:  Stealing your candy.

H:  How MANY DID YOU TAKE!?

PG:  [stepping up to him to tower over him and looking down at his cute little perturbed face]  Two packets of Whoppers, one small box of Milk Duds, and one Twizzlers.   And maybe a 3 Musketeers.  You got a problem with that?  [crosses arms menacingly over her chest]

H:  [gasp!]  Mooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmm!

Ah, suck it up kid.  It’s what we aunties do.

3.  I was in Market Square this morning.  The pigeons.  THEY ARE EFFIN’ FAT!  What the hell are they eating?  They’re enormous!

4.  Oh, wait.  Here’s the reason they’re fat.  They’re being well fed by this Demon of Satan.

(h/t SlideTuba who snapped the photos and wrote “she must be stopped at all costs.”  Word.)

5.  A comment about my interview in Pittsburgh Magazine:

Regarding your “interview” in Pittsburgh magazine, I had a good laugh at your comment on why you remain anonymous. I believe you stated, that remaining anonymous allows you speak your mind. I believe remaining anonymous is cowardly.

I moved to Pittsburgh from Erie Pa just over two years ago and write regularly in the Erie Times and Pittsburgh Post Gazzette. My writings can/have been very controversial at times, but am proud to have my name published along with my opinions. I also take part in a lot of online discussion forums under my name. The web has created a whole new coward, but again am proud to use my full name always as my screen name.

It’s easy to spew your opinions and feelings under some ridiculous nick name, but it takes a real adult to do the same and sign their real name. Make fun of specific people in the press all you want, but they aren’t hiding behind some moniker.

Sincerely
Scott R Priester

If remaining anonymous so that I don’t get my ass fired from my day job is cowardly, then fine, I’m a coward.

If it makes you feel better, Scott, I promise that when I’m outed one day and no longer at my current job, I will continue to write and will continue to say everything I’m saying now.  But for now?  I can’t say what I want to say unless I do it behind my “ridiculous nick name.”

Another reason I’m happy that I’m anonymous?  There are some readers.  Some male readers.  They email me.  They scare me a little bit.  I don’t want them knowing where I live or who I am.  No. Way.

Honestly, being anonymous kind of sucks.  I don’t get to go and meet all the other awesome bloggers.  I can’t write about all the stuff I want to because it can be too risky.  I can’t take advantage of all the awesome offers I get for free stuff, free Pens tickets, free concert tickets, drinks with Awesome Burghers, free Zima.

Hell, you guys, I turned down luxury box seats for a Steelers game last season.

As for “real adult,” read the interview.  I’m 12 inside.

6.  New reader Jen, who found me via a David Conrad search, had this to say about my other self-united husband Doug Mientkiewicz:

I met him this summer in Baltimore when I went to see the Friday & Saturday games against the Orioles. (Stupidass Buccos – they shouldn’t have lost either game, but managed to lose both!) I got reprimanded by a guard in the hotel when I asked for Doug’s autograph (how was I supposed to know that was a no-no?), but when I apologized to Doug, he told the guard it wasn’t a problem. Yay Dougie! He’s really friendly and talked for a few minutes. I’d like to see him come back to the Buccos, but it’s not good to wish for someone to be in Hell ….

I do know how to pick winners, don’t I?

7. My other self-united husband Daniel Sepulveda showed Alison Morris his new home, which thanks to KDKA for showing his actual house number, we’re going to be interrupted ALL THE DAMN TIME now when we sit down for dinner.

There’s lots of good eye candy:

Hey, there’s his bed!

[thud]

I’m sorry.  I think I blacked out for a minute there.

Oh, hey look, there’s Daniel Sepulveda’s bed!

[thud]

Also, AliMo?  Step off.

8.  When will Matt Lamanna email me a picture of his bed?

1. Steelheader
    November 12, 2008 11:47 am

Here’s a sample of Scott’s “very controversial” writing:

Idling in Pittsburgh

When I talk to family and friends in Erie, they often ask me what are some of the favorite pastimes here in Pittsburgh. I tell them that the No. 1 pastime is sitting in traffic.

Construction has been going on in the I-376 corridor all spring and summer. PennDOT has been great about keeping the public informed, and the media have done a great job helping with the issue. The pleas have gone out to avoid the detour areas. Even so, as predicted, this past Saturday and Sunday found Pittsburghers doing what they do best, sitting in traffic when there is no need to do so. The Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill and Regent Square neighborhoods were clogged with traffic.

I thought the idea was to keep traffic moving in a larger city, but it seems as though Pittsburghers are content seeing it come to a standstill.

SCOTT PRIESTER
    Regent Square

Hey Scotto- two pieces of advice. Don’t bait Pittgirl, you won’t win. And traffic in Pittsburgh is about as light as it gets for a metropolitan area. But I’m sure it’s awful compared to Erie.

November 12, 2008 12:15 pm

spoon — I totally agree with you. with your logic, I am now a published writer. woohoo!

though, sorry, I might just have to whip it out and shake it onstage. I have no shame.

3. TBD
    November 12, 2008 12:38 pm

1 vote for for spoon and unsatisfied to NOT “whip it out and shake it onstage”. Thats just way TMI. :^)

November 12, 2008 12:42 pm

TBD — don’t be hatin’. ;-)

5. spoon
    November 12, 2008 1:36 pm

TBD, that reminds me. I was coachin’ in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible masturbator, you know, couldn’t control himself. Why, he would get deliberate penalties so he could get over in the penalty box all by himself and damned if he wouldn’t… you know…

6. John
    November 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Steelheader – I went to school in Erie for three years. Trust me – Priester’s idea of traffic is sitting at a stoplight for more than a minute. Construction and traffic are a way of life in da Burgh. You’d think Mr. I’m A Published Writer would know that by now.

7. Moe the Dog
    November 12, 2008 1:59 pm

What’s the difference between Mr. Priester and a hammer?

8. julia
    November 12, 2008 2:32 pm

A hammer has a purpose?

9. spoon
    November 12, 2008 2:43 pm

John, actually being stuck in traffic is either taking 5 minutes to go from Millcreek Mall to upper peach or being stuck on W26th street for 10 minutes :)

10. Sarah
    November 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Please don’t make Erieites look worse than people already perceive them, Scott.

I’ve worked 5 years to adopt that Pittsburgh slang and grammar. When in Rome, ya know?

11. Sarah
    November 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Spoon – where on 26th can you even get stuck? Do the lights ever even change to red?

I mean, MAYBE on Upper Peach, trying to get out of the Targt Parking lot.

On black friday.

Oh man, Upper Peach on black Friday is a holiday tradition I CANNOT wait for.

12. spoon
    November 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Sarah, my last day working retail was on Upper Peach on black friday in 98. I wanted to make sure I knew why I would never do it again. retail hell.

My family tells me of such stories on 26th street but i don’t know how it happens. Probably a water main break or Eli’s causes a traffic jam with people stopping for their delicious wings.

Upper Peach is a logistical nightmare. Nowhere else will you find worse traffic management than maybe trying to get out of the Waterfront down here on a weekend.

13. Sarah
    November 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Spoon –

I worked a few black fridays at the Millcreek Mall. Totally sucked.

Doesn’t mean I don’t partake as a shopper. I don’t mind being stuck in the car with the christmas music and my mom.

But yeah. I never wanted to look at a mall agian after working that mess.

14. minutes from the mall
    November 12, 2008 6:19 pm

I’ve gotten a glimpse of Mr. R Priester’s next editorial, and let me just say, it will forever change the way you think about waiting in line at the bank. (“Long Lines? No, Thank You!”)

And if anyone doubts my ability to critique fine writing, indeed my absolute mastery of the written word, let me just say that “Reader’s Digest” is considering publishing one of my amusing anecdotes. When any of you out there have achieved that level of magnitude, then by all means come and chat with Scott R and myself.

You know where to find us. On Wood Street, yelling at traffic.

15. Still A Fan
    November 12, 2008 8:13 pm

wow. that’s hilarious. stay tuned for next week’s “editorial” “Why Wait To Pee At Heinz?”. Hard hitting journalism right there. the funniest part though is this:

“One of the greatest joys of starting a discussion like I have is….”

i see him hunched over his machine with his arms spread wide like moses….look at what….i…..have…..creATED…. a worthless time suck of close to 100 comments telling you that you’re an asshole. great job, plato. now shoo. go on……shoo!

16. PittCheMBA
    November 12, 2008 10:46 pm

When does writing letters to the editors equate to writing regularly in two newspapers? That is overstating one’s writing credentials. The regular readers of TBB love PittGirl. She has one of the most popular blogs in the Burgh. She is able to churn out such a fine blog because her anonymity allows her to speak freely without fear of retribution from anyone who may object to her opinions. Plus, she is a female, and from her posts, you know she is one Hot Burgher, so there are bound to be stalkers. Personal safety is a major concern for any female on the internet. Don’t disrespect PittGirl, her minions will rise up and defend her!

17. Marc Baker
    November 13, 2008 6:36 am

This is why i hate local news these days. Too much worthless fluff, and not enough coverage of ‘real’ news. The only place where you can get actual news is from FM Newstalk 104.7. Sorry, KDKA. You fail!

18. Moe the Dog
    November 13, 2008 9:53 am

Good try, Julia, but the answer is…

The hammer is a “useful” tool, while Mr. Priester is just a tool.

19. Is it only Wednesday?
    November 13, 2008 2:26 pm

I’ve been wondering for the longest time —–
    how exactly did you get to have lunch with David Conrad?

20. Elle
    November 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Spoon, I have never once seen an Eli’s-induced traffic jam. Just sayin’.

Erie traffic ticks me off because none of the damn lights are synched. Nothing like waiting at every single light for no reason.

21. spoon
    November 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Wait till Mighty Mike starts tossin some drunks out around 2am. you’ll see traffic :)

22. Scott R Priester
    November 15, 2008 5:42 pm

“3.That Jerk from McKeesport said …

Scott R. Priester needs to get over himself. Ooh, he used to write letters to the Erie Times. Wow! What does he want, a cookie?

I used to write letters to Junior Scholastic, but you don’t see me braggin’.”

Sounds like you were good at what you did.

23. Scott R Priester
    November 15, 2008 5:50 pm

“She is able to churn out such a fine blog because her anonymity allows her to speak freely without fear of retribution from anyone who may object to her opinions. Plus, she is a female, and from her posts, you know she is one Hot Burgher, so there are bound to be stalkers. Personal safety is a major concern for any female on the internet.”

I appreciate her love of the city, you don’t find many people in any given city that take their time to express positivity. I felt that way about Erie, living there most of my life. But expressing opinions means there will be people who agree and people who don’t, if you are so concerned about the negative, maybe you shouldn’t be spouting off. She’s so concerned about getting found out at work, but yet continues to do it. That makes a lot of sense. Sooner or later she will be.

24. Scott R Priester
    November 15, 2008 5:57 pm

“24.Three said …

You know, for me, blogging is an outlet. I love to rant, rave or just write about stuff I observe — and some folks like to read it because it makes them laugh or makes them think.

But unfortunately in this great big world of ours, companies are cracking down on that. I know the company I work for added a whole new section to its handbook about blogs and blogging. It’s not an act of cowardice — being anonymous almost HAS to be a given if you want to retain your job. And hey, a lot of journalists’ sources remain anonymous when providing “dirt” to the media for the exact same reason. Does that make them cowards, too?”

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here’s a tough question……..have you ever thought maybe you shouldn’t be blogging on your company’s time in the first place?

25. Googler
    November 17, 2008 11:47 pm

Scott Priester does like to write. He leaves his name or usernames (vwscottie, gtiscottie, mtbscottie) when commenting on young girls’ breast sizes and /or asking to photograph them unclothed. Disturbing dude.

26. richie
    November 18, 2008 12:54 am

I live a couple blocks from Daniel’s new house which is on a colddusac here in Baldwin. I saw the KDKA truck pull up to the house and little “miss thing” Allison get out and to meet “Mr. Wonderful” who greeted her at his door. I can further report that Allison was in there a long time. She even stayed in his house after the camera guy and sound guy went back to the truck. After 30 more minutes passed the blonde bimbo bounced out of Daniel’s house escorted by the hunky punter himself. By the looks on both thier faces I guess they were baking pancakes all morning long. I guess Allison beat Daniel’s eggs while he sliped her some of his special syrup. Thank God she is gone and all is back to normal on our sleepy little street. Oh and that little remark about “oh, theres his bed”?? You mean “theres our bed”
    And tell that homewreker Dwight to keep away from my man!!