Oh, LaMont.

LaMont Jones, Pittsburgh’s prized fashion guru, had an article about saving money on hair care recently and he interviewed two top hair stylists to get us the correct information we need to know in order to get the best hair care for the best money.

Put aside your questions about what hair care has to do with fashion.

What’s important is that in true LaMont style, things got weird.

First he interviewed Philip Pelusi who gave this advice:

Don’t do your color at home. Doing so can waste rather than save money. Statistics have shown those who color at home often end up with a hair color mistake. Then they go to a salon for a corrective color service, which often ranges from $200 to $300.

Then he puts this in there from “celebrity stylist Wendy” which I’m guessing to mean she’s LaMont’s friend who does maybe like Becky Emmers‘ hair.

For big savings, switch to coloring your hair at home. A color close to your natural shade usually provides the best results. Try going one shade lighter for softer results.

So which is it LaMont?

Are we supposed to go to the salon or are we supposed to do it at home?

Join LaMont next week when he reveals the trends for hot Spring fashions:

• The shade of periwinkle blue is hot this Spring.  Buy lots and lots of periwinkle blue things.  You can’t go wrong with periwinkle blue!
  • White is out, replaced with soft pinks.
  • Also, stay the hell away from periwinkle blue if you know what’s good for you. Blech.

Thanks LaMont!

You’re the best.

1. Gunnlino
    November 13, 2008 9:23 am

If nothing else, he’s entertaining and good for a laugh now and then.

2. spoon
    November 13, 2008 9:36 am

I’m SO gonna sport this look come spring time and LaMont can feel free to jump on board

3. toni
    November 13, 2008 9:43 am

Bliss! A craig list WTF thread AND a Lamont thread all in the same week! It dosen’t get any better than this!

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 13, 2008 10:25 am

Oh, Lamont is right. Now I don’t know what to do with my hair!!!!

5. Bram R
    November 13, 2008 10:32 am

This post got me curious — turns out, Links n’@ is still there.

6. REARless
    November 13, 2008 10:36 am

Shame on the PG. Don’t they have editors that are supposed to go over these articles before they hit the presses?

7. JamieO
    November 13, 2008 10:46 am

I can just see Philip Pelusi’s version of What They are Really Thinking…..

“Don’t do color at home, I won’t get your money.”

And that’s really that.

My wife does her color at home, and gets big-ups on it all the time. So there, Phil.

8. Pensgirl
    November 13, 2008 10:51 am

Yeah, this seems lazy to me. You can start with two conflicting pieces of advice, do a little follow-up with each source, and either find a middle ground or explain why they disagree. To just print each one’s advice and ignore the apparent disagreement isn’t helpful at all.

I suspect a second conversation with each person would turn up that it’s generally OK to try home hair color for small jobs (one shade difference or just covering grays) but the salon is best for bigger changes or more detailed work like highlights. But the reader shouldn’t have to guess.

9. InSewickley
    November 13, 2008 10:55 am

Can LaMont really speak about hair care? He doesn’t have any?

10. Three
    November 13, 2008 10:58 am

So, being the relatively new reader to the Pittgirl world, let me get this straight — LaMont is a bald and naked haircare and fashion guru? I’m just … wow.

It’s entirely too early to start drinking, isn’t it?

November 13, 2008 11:11 am

I think that this contradictory news story deserves a witty editorial in the PG from one scott r. “at least I use my real name” priester from point breeze, erie, or wherever the hell he’s from this week….

lamont better be quaking in his lime green manshorts….

12. LaMont's Pants
    November 13, 2008 11:17 am

InSewickly — That’s not entirely true.

November 13, 2008 11:20 am

oh — and, if I may provide my own editorial — writing contradictory news stories must be in the PG’s workplan these days — calling mr. smizik….

14. Mermanda
    November 13, 2008 11:28 am

I agree with InSewickley! My first thought when I read this was, “Oh great. Hair advice from a baldy.”

15. Sarah
    November 13, 2008 11:33 am

I third the “LaMont has no hair… wtf?!” trend

16. chrys
    November 13, 2008 11:42 am

methinks that the PG should give good old LaMont his walking papers. Clearly he is a moron.

I am guessing he is trying to be Pittsburgh’s own Farnsworth Bentley (P. Diddy’s one time valet and personal assistant)
    God help for knowing this.. LOL!

17. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 13, 2008 12:14 pm

@Three — it’s five o’clock somewhere so drink away.

What he should have done was say something like “There are differing views among hair salons concerning do-it-yourself color”, then do the two opinions and then wrap up with something along the lines of “What it comes down to is your comfort level and personal preference.” Me personally, I wouldn’t dare to color my own hair at home, but that’s primarily because I’m not very coordinated even when it comes to styling my hair so I wouldn’t trust myself not to have some giant blotch of discoloration somewhere on the back of my head that I can’t see, and my friends and family, unfortunately, would think it’s funny so they’d wait until I embarrass myself in public first before cluing me in (I speak from experience). Others, like my sister, are perfectly fine doing their own color. It’s all a matter of personal preference.

November 13, 2008 12:33 pm

Seriously, why would anyone take a “fashion guru” seriously? Fashion is beyond all parody, satire and irony, and fashion “advice” is worth about as much as the horoscope (says bugdaddy, in his sweatpants and bright yellow hoodie — where were you, Kelli? I was LEFT, O, 4).

For instance, I have no doubt whatsoever that PG is a very fashionable and attractive woman, and exactly all I know about what she wears I can put into three words:

do-me boots

That’s church right there, ladies.

19. Kelli
    November 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Really, are we sure that the Post-Gazette really means it as a fashion column? It isn’t supposed to be comedy?

(I looked for you but I couldn’t find you. It didn’t help that we were balcony. Right balcony, K 1-2.)

20. Al
    November 13, 2008 12:38 pm

what is LaMont’s advice about dying your hair khaki after labor day?

21. dwight
    November 13, 2008 12:57 pm

I am in tears. That is so funny.

Question, PG: How on earth in this time of the dying print media (i.e. shrinking newspaper budgets and revenues), does he still have a job?! Or do you think it is volunteer work——that he is compelled to “help” the fashion-impaired denizens of Pittsburgh for free?

22. Matt Hinkle
    November 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Any updates on that http://www.SteelersTrade.com site PittGirl?

23. Still A. Fan
    November 13, 2008 1:19 pm

i bet the man is afraid to turn in an “article” these days.

24. LaReina
    November 13, 2008 1:21 pm

What’s next, LaMont telling us that khaki is THE way – the only way – to go for true wintertime fashion?

25. lovesthenorthside
    November 13, 2008 1:33 pm

ok, if i’m an editor, after i read celebrity-stylist wendy’s advice i’m throwing out that whole article.

“Touch up roots with a lipstick-type product that you simply roll on small areas of gray, like the temple area or a partline. The product washes out after each shampoo. For brunettes, any waterproof mascara will do the job.”

oh, hell no.

26. LaMont, you reading?
    November 13, 2008 1:41 pm

You comment-ers are on a roll today. Very funny stuff.

I can’t help to think what LaMont thinks when he reads all these posts about him.

I hope he has a sense of humor and can laugh along with the rest of us.

27. Brian
    November 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Three,

What do you mean it’s too early? Come on now. You know better than that! :-)

28. minutes from the mall
    November 13, 2008 2:05 pm

I’m just glad Lamont’s not covering the health and fitness beat:

For a healthy heart:

1. Watch your red meat intake
    2. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day
    3. Eat as much prime rib as you can, all the time

29. Fred Sanford
    November 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Lamont, you big dummy!

30. windy city steel city
    November 13, 2008 2:11 pm

I sure hope Santa finds the pages I earmarked in my LL Bean Christmas catalog. The page with the flannel lined khakis is the one I hope he sees first. They will go great with the electric green I just dyed my hair. That box of RIT I bought at the CVS was cheap for my home job.

31. toni
    November 13, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey windy city…would that be PLEATED flannel lined khaki’s? I personally think LaMont’s electric green man shorts are flat fronted myself.

32. Captain Dummy
    November 13, 2008 2:53 pm

“Can LaMont really speak about hair care? He doesn’t have any?”

the answer is YES, you goofs!

look… if there were 2 barbers in town… one had a great haircut… and the other had a really bad haircut… which one would you go to???

haha. kidding… sort of. ;-)

33. Sexy Jesus
    November 13, 2008 3:05 pm

If I’m reading Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl correctly, and I think I am, then for her, personally, it’s all about personal preference. Glad we cleared that up.

34. Ralph Kramden
    November 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Readers want to know…does Lamont color his hair at home?

35. Speaking of time machines!
    November 13, 2008 3:18 pm

I personally love “NEVER EVER EVER wear khaki after Labor Day” from the other callout as contrasted with this column’s “dye your hair mauve.” It’s like we’re living in 1948 and 2050 simultaneously. Whee!

36. TK
    November 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Q: if there were 2 barbers in town… one had a great haircut… and the other had a really bad haircut… which one would you go to???

A: The one with the really bad haircut. If there are 2 barbers in town, they probably cut each others hair. So I go to the one with the bad haircut because he probably gave the one with the great haircut his haircut.

37. minutes from the mall
    November 13, 2008 3:58 pm

TK: Barbers have cottoned on to that line of thinking and now, in towns with only two barbers, they intentionally sabotage their own haircuts to make the other guy look bad.

It’s kind of sick, but it’s nothing compared to what goes on in two-doctor towns. I heard one case of a doc who went around for six months without a liver, telling anyone who would listen that he was the victim of a botched tattoo removal.

38. TK
    November 13, 2008 4:26 pm

But if they intentionally sabotaged their own haircuts, wouldn’t they both have bad haircuts?

39. Three
    November 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Solution: Flowbee.

November 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Kelli, Did you see the Big Guy in the white shirt jamming to the Truckers near the front of the balcony on the right side, near the bank of lights? Looked like he’d be a bouncer at Enrico’s? Dude was into it. Our hero.

41. Spud Mom
    November 13, 2008 4:46 pm

How exactly does one live for 6 months without a liver?

And how does claiming that it was botched tattoo removal help his business?

42. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 13, 2008 4:52 pm

@Sexy Jesus — HA!

43. Kelli
    November 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Bucdaddy – I did see him! I was pretty sure that he was having a religious experience.

I also got a kick the little teenage kid on the right side of the balcony who was head-banging during the Hold Steady.

44. Burgh Wanna Be
    November 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Where in the world did they find this guy???