[inhale] [exhale]

Burghers,

You all are crazy, do you know that? Like, insane.

Yesterday we had over 15,000 visitors here at That’s Church, 50,000+ page views, and hits in what is probably the hundreds of thousands.

We had visits from every state except Montana, which, what did I ever say bad about you, Montana? Losers.

As I feared would happen, I am no longer working at NEED.

Listen. It’s okay. NEED is a wonderful organization doing what it needs to do, look after its rich history and stellar reputation. They don’t need me there as a distraction.

I’m very sad about their decision, but I understand it and I am going to accept it and move on.

There is no need to go to bat for me with them.

Yes, it sucks VERY VERY HARD, but I put in a good six years there and it is time for me to step away from that job.

Now, as I wrote yesterday, be patient with me now while I figure stuff out.  I’ll be downtown tomorrow for meetings and stuff, so I hope to get to meet some of you then. I’ll be the curly-haired chick punting pigeons left and right and …. oh hell, YOU KNOW WHAT I LOOK LIKE!

Love,

Me.

1. Tom
    August 21, 2009 3:27 pm

I’m a former Burgher (from Ambridge) living in Montana and most definitely visited on the first day – twice, from two different machines even – so Montana was in there, your log processing just isn’t smart enough to realize it. :D

2. Brian
    August 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Mantewarless … while I agree with you in theory, as I’m sure we all do, we’re dealing with politicians here, nee children. There are egos that are far more hulking and intrusive than any anywhere, which I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, but I can just imagine how, say, the mayor may have handled this. Anyone else would have taken the criticism as an attempt to produce productive conversation in the community, but the pettiness that dominates politics these days, it just wasn’t going to happen. I also, and apologies to Ginny, think NEED kind of took a bold step with their decision knowing the backlash they were likely to face. My guess is their call wasn’t an easy one.

This all said, yes it’s a gutless society we live in and it’s sad you lost your job. BUT! Won’t you feel a lot more free and open to speak your mind? You won’t have to hold back at all. You seemed apprehensive during your KDKA interview when saying you might have to pull back a bit. No way that would have felt right to you. You’re to be commended for creating such a popular online destination site for Pittsburgh folks (both living here and not) and building yourself up to this degree. And you didn’t do it with smoke and mirrors, but did it with a well-thought-out, well-written account. You’re going to land upright, and it’s because of your reputation that you will. Very happy you’ll be able to take the gloves off and say what you really need to say.

3. Matt
    August 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Off topic, but you’re gorgeous.

4. Andrew
    August 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Very disappointed in your previous employer. They clearly need to change the way they think about the Internet and new media.

5. Heg300
    August 21, 2009 4:25 pm

NEED’s loss. You’ll move on to bigger and better things. By the way you’re a hottie :-)

6. Mantewarless
    August 21, 2009 4:27 pm

In response to Brian:

I understand what you are saying, and don’t deny the fact that politics has become more of a mass media promotion over actually doing what is right. Our current administration running this nation has proven you can win a presidency based on popularity over realistic expectations.

However, if a scholarship program is so worried over how their political affiliation will be viewed, then they are just as guilty over winning popularity over actually maintaining the foundation of their purpose.

I find it sad and appalling, since no one wins when this happens.

7. icarus0720au
    August 21, 2009 4:30 pm

It’s interesting that there are several “protected statuses” in this country yet, you can still get fired for expressing your basic, first amendment rights.. Food for thought.

8. Wineplz
    August 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Ginny…very nice to meet you. Again. Sort of.

This is the first time I’ve been able to get onto your site all week. I was pretty sad when you signed-off in November, but I’m glad you’re out and writing again (regardless of whose name is in the byline…yours or the fat muffin-eating she-cow). I wish you the best of luck in finding other gainful employment–I’m sure someone will appreciate your honesty and wit (and to think, if you had a BlogHer ad on this site after all your traffic, you might have a check for, uh, $24.97).

BTW, I don’t think you have twin sisters–I think you’re foolin’ us and just showed us a pic of the same girl, just rotated the other way. ;)

9. Kwame Kuadey
    August 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Saw your story on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/21/outing.anonymous.bloggers/index.html). Keep doing what you are doing. I am sure this is a blessing in disguise. All the best.

Kwame

10. Dan
    August 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Now you have been visited from montana!! We arent losers anymore!!

11. BrianSmith
    August 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Now that’s just cold… so what is the big deal about you keeping that job and you writing what you write (not familiar with your work)? Just seems crazy to me.

12. Henry
    August 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I’ll be critical, why are you writing some sappy stuff about the people that fired you for having a well read, funny though provoking Blog? It’s not like you were trashing them on the blog. I think they are jerks for doing this. Just because they are a nonprofit doesn’t mean they get a free pass in the poor behavior category…and you shouldn’t provide it for them. You owe those rats nothing (I hate rats as much as you hate pigeons, but for different reasons). Good luck with your writing career.

13. Joe
    August 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Pigeons…otherwise known as flying rats.

14. munkspot
    August 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Well – look at you… Top story at CNN.com!

15. Onlyme
    August 21, 2009 5:36 pm

There is nothing wrong with Pigeons.

16. Dave
    August 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Admittedly, before I saw you on CNN, I had no idea you existed (either because I have no affiliation with Pittsburgh or just have been living under the rock covering Capitol Hill) but I greatly admire your choice and the way you are handling the situation post-firing. I blogged anonymously for many years prior to my political career and now, as a public servant, blog publicly but with caution. The world needs more people like you and now that I know you exist, I look forward to reading your thoughts regularly. You will also be linked on my blog (which probably gets 1/5000th the hits yours does, but I’m OK with that) because the few people who read what I have to say should know what you have to say as well.

17. Michael
    August 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Front page of CNN girl! You’re a smash.

It’s a fine time to make yourself a few mojitos, a fine substitute for Zima if I do say so myself, and enjoy the spare time with the hubby and kids.

You deserve it!

18. Waltsense
    August 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Wow – NEEDS lose is the blogger worlds gain. I stumbled across this today and running a humor blog myself and working for a Fortune 500 company, I sometimes fear coworkers reading my crazy humor online. But I don’t really hide my indentity but now I think I should…HAH…but I read your stuff…your funny and that’s all that counts. Even though Pitt is my mortal sports enemy (From PHILLY) I am a fan. You also got mad looks so keep the exposure rolling.

19. Michael
    August 21, 2009 5:50 pm

By the way, is that a pigeon wearing a squirrel costume on your t-shirt? LMFAO!

20. Mike
    August 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU! I am sorry to hear you had to lose your job, and you had to come out on who you were because people couldn’t just leave well enough alone! I have never heard of this blog before now, but I must admit it is now a bookmark in my favorites. You are freaking hilarious! I found a site for people who are having fears of committing or even fears of saying who they are online. It is http://www.focconline.com . I checked it out, and it’s not bad. So anyone else out there who doesn’t have the courage that you did and do, can check it out.

21. DW
    August 21, 2009 6:13 pm

I can’t believe the lead story on CNN.com is about ya! Holy cats!

DW-

22. kevin
    August 21, 2009 6:18 pm

holy shit-front page of CNN! Big time now!

23. Montana Loser
    August 21, 2009 6:33 pm

It takes awhile for news to get to Montana, even high speed internet isn’t very high speed…
    Best to you Ginny. Bet you’ll land on your feet!

24. Julie in NYC
    August 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Ginny

I’ve never even visited Pittsburgh and stumbled across your original blog completely by accident.

I was hooked from day one.

Your sharp and witty observations made me laugh out loud many times (as I work in an open newsroom, that earned me a few weird looks) and I know you will continue to entertain me and many others via That’s Church. (I was so excited when I learned via Facebook that you had a new blog!)

Your former employer has made a grave error, but I have a strong feeling that their loss will be publishing’s gain. It would be wonderful to see a book (or books) from you!

Chin up. There are better things in store for you, I’m sure of it.

Off to kick a pigeon for you (we have way too many of them in NYC ;-)

25. Meghan
    August 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Oh My! I haven’t been reading my Post Gazette online so I was out of the loop… but you were on CNN!!! Seriously – CNN! That is so frickin’ cool! But you will always be PittGirl to me! Now say “drink”!

26. Matt H
    August 21, 2009 6:47 pm

“But you are aware that last month the courts ruled that firing an employee for what they say in a blog or on myspace etc is illegal unless you are talking about your company.”

Pennsylvania is an “at-will” employment state.

In Pennsylvania, employees are presumed to be “at will.” At-will employees may be terminated for any reason.

Employers are not allowed to terminate or discriminate against employees for the following reasons:

* Age
    * Race
    * Sex
    * Religion
    * National origin
    * Disability
    * Pregnancy

And it’s illegal for an employer to terminate an employee:

* For refusing to break a law
    * In retaliation for filing a discrimination or safety claim
    * For taking leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
    * Without following its own stated procedure or policy
    * For reasons not contained in the employment contract, if one exists

She doesn’t have a case in this state.

27. Politicalpartypooper
    August 21, 2009 7:02 pm

You said you were contemplating killing that pigeon in your picture. So, did you?

I’ve never been here before, but I will be adding your link to my blog and reading regular-like. We need more of you.

I’ve been blogging since 2003, but actually went from nonymous to A-nonymous to allow myself more verbal freedom. At the time, I worked for someone else, and they didn’t like some of the words I used or stories I told, or political views. So I’m sort of you, backwards, only not a woman, not as good looking, or as talented. But if you can get past all of that, I’m you backwards.

Good luck to you!

28. El Kabong
    August 21, 2009 7:06 pm

I think we’re all looking forward to PittGirl 2: Electric Boogaloo. P.S. Pirates suck. :(

29. Brode
    August 21, 2009 7:06 pm

You could always just run for mayor the next time that comes around.

Pretty sure you could run unopposed at this point.

30. Lisa
    August 21, 2009 7:07 pm

You’re surprised you were fired? Your activities in your personal life put your employers(a non-profit, no less) interests at risk, and you are surprised.

Maybe I can explain it: no one likes a back stabber, which is ultimately what you did. Good luck finding work for the rest of your life.

31. Danny
    August 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I have no idea who you are, but I saw your picture on cnn.com and I’ve got to say that you’re a cutie.

FWIW.

32. Lisa
    August 21, 2009 7:08 pm

BTW, I’m in California.
    Go ahead and say California sucks.
    You go on ahead and do it girl.

33. JT
    August 21, 2009 7:12 pm

If you don’t want anyone fighting for you, that’s great and all. But for me, I would be fighting for the right to free speech and the fact that businesses can not terminate you for things you do on your own time as part of that right.

34. Maz
    August 21, 2009 7:27 pm

You rock now, and have always rocked. That’s all I have to say.

Well….that, and that I am a Montanan forced to live in Utah to get my Masters degree. 406 (our one and only area code) loves you.

35. Not Ginny
    August 21, 2009 7:27 pm

“BTW, Im in California.
    Go ahead and say California sucks.
    You go on ahead and do it girl.”

Lisa wins the crazy award…

36. steeler_tom
    August 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Hey! The PG, Channel 4 website, CNN…. WTH?
    Sorry abou losing your job, but Chin up Ginny,….
    Big things are headed your way, Some will be good, some not so good, and other things will be astounding for you. Be careful with your new found celebrity status. There are wackos out there!
    Love you!

Oh yeah, You’re married w/ children, but you are still rockin’ HAWT! Don’t sell yourself short!

37. shawn@ohio
    August 21, 2009 7:51 pm

OK, I’m either dumb or have a short attention span, or…

…you simply are not saying the reason they fired you? I just read the entire CNN article and half your blog page…why am I not getting an answer to the only question to ask?

Please ,please, please email me!

38. Marcy
    August 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Haha, “Not Ginny” and AMEN! And where in what Ginny posted here is there any mention of being surprised? As a matter of fact, I think she’s been incredibly gracious.

But anyhow, I just here to echo the OMGHOLYSHITFRONTPAGEOFEMEFFINGCNNOMGOMG.

Mazel Tov, Ginny…you’re on your way to the bigger and better.

39. Marcy
    August 21, 2009 7:58 pm

That would be *I’m*, not *I*.

D’OH!

40. Brian H
    August 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey Ginny (oh, that will take some getting used to),

Add mine to the chorus of voices that is happy to see your writing online again. The I’nets are a wittier place today, and at any rate, next time someone asks me what on Earth I mean by KTHXBAI… I have a place to send them.

41. alex
    August 21, 2009 8:11 pm

dig the site! good luck to ya in all u do

42. NC Burgher
    August 21, 2009 8:29 pm

I am sorry to hear about your job but I am SUPER happy to be reading your blogs again!!! You made my day! : )

43. Monty
    August 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Great, welcome back. Can we finally get back to the “Dockers guy smuggling a bat” discussion now?

August 21, 2009 10:02 pm

That chick who used to post here posted way more often, and she had a job. This one is a layabout with all kinds of time on her hands and can’t even manage a post a day.

Lazy ass.

45. jhwygirl
    August 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Montana checking in. And I’m an anonymous local blogger too.

Chin up moving forward good luck and congratulations!

46. PoeticRyan
    August 21, 2009 11:37 pm

That sucks getting fired for blogging, But you should not let them push you down and roll over you call the ACLU on them because thats 100% wrongful termination

47. aunt penny
    August 22, 2009 12:45 am

Welcome back, your majesty! I have sooooooooo missed your posts. It was truly like losing a close friend. And the blogosphere was a little emptier while you were gone. You have such a good feel for the pulse of Pgh and insights to life in general and —we need that strange little twist that you spin it with.

Like the crocheted tampon, WTF?

(God, I wish some of my friends had half your wit, instead of being half-wits!)

If you decide to bring back some of your past features, “What were they thinking” was a real fave.
    If this writing thing doesn’t work out, maybe you could design do-me boots or change over a weenie cart into a deep fried pigeon cart and hit the streets? But don’t de-blog us again! Please !?!

But on the other-hand, I have to say touched with envy and admiration…with hubby, job and two little tiddly-winks, how did you find time, not only to blog, but to put out such a high level of material?

WOW! You rock and kick more than pigeon butt.

oh yeah, did I say welcome back yet? squared!

and I bet Troysus missed you, too.

48. KTG
    August 22, 2009 1:09 am

Sorry you got canned. It’s a little odd, I think–but I knew nothing of you and your blogging until it went national. Perhaps you have planned this…good-looking 35 year old woman wanting to gain some fame and fortune perhaps.

49. Pingback: Goodbye PittGirl, Hello Virginia. | PLBT

50. Mike
    August 22, 2009 2:32 am

Hey Shitsburgh girl,

F*uck them for firing you. Living in a crap ass town and rooting for a cheese dick hockey team is no reason get fired.

Sincerely,