The Dread Lord speaks. Prepare to be destroyed.

If you’ve never been a reader of my blog before, you might not know that I branded the Mayor’s right hand man Yarone Zober as The Dread Lord Zober. You can go here to read why I gave him that nickname.

Today, I got an email from the Dread Lord himself:

Just dropping a line- Welcome to public (and un-anonymous) life! Folks tell me about your blog, though I don’t really read blogs, and I have enjoyed the title you’ve bestowed on me so much that I asked the staff to make a nameplate of it for me for Hannukah. They did, and I proudly display a “Dread Lord Zober” nameplate on my desk now. Thanks for loving Pittsburgh.

The Dread Lord Zober

I was skeptical, so I responded:

Dread Lord,

Are you serious? I’m going to need proof, as in a picture of this nameplate. In fact, a picture of you HOLDING the nameplate while handing out “DESTROY HIM” orders.

I’ll be waiting!

V.

To which The Dread Lord sent me this:

IMG00153

First, this pleases me so much. Do you think Lukey has a “Hizzoner Master Lukey” nameplate?!

Second, Dread Lord, I call baloney on the “I don’t really read your site” crap. Admit it. You read it. Sometimes you love it; sometimes you want to destroy me.

Bring it.

1. nancy
    August 28, 2009 10:46 am

To Flippen Funny.

2. Jamie in da 'burgh
    August 28, 2009 11:02 am

That is awesome and GOD like! For sure!!!

3. bluzdude
    August 28, 2009 11:21 am

I wonder if having a sense of humor about one’s self disqualifies you from holding the title of “Dread Lord.”

4. gunnlino
    August 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I’m sure the e mail/comment was not sent to you on a City owned computer or on City time nor was the photo sent on that same City owned computer on additional City time.
    That would get an employee a written reprimand at least and a good stern talking to about misuse of City resources.
    I guess, right?

5. beebewitz
    August 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Wow. I’m an outsider, and just recently started reading your blog, but here’s my comment: your wit is honed sharper by your readers, even your opponents. This might be a case of “can’t beat ’em, so better join ’em.” At least to my uneducated, foreigner’s point of view. Good work!

6. Brad
    August 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Wow. Talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars.

August 28, 2009 3:48 pm

I was wondering what the hell a “Yarone Zober” was…..

8. agent ska
    August 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Who is this person Yarone Zober? And why is he trying to add me on FB?

9. Andee
    August 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Well of course Zober reads. Somebody in that administration has to read to little Lukey.

btw Ginny, you need a name for their press secretary Joanna Devin. Probably half the reason Lukey gets bad press.

10. sebastiana
    August 28, 2009 11:56 pm

You people need to get a life! I know Yarone personally, and while he’s not my fave person in the world, he doesn’t deserve all this ridicule. I’m glad he did a “can’t beat ’em, join ’em” fast one on you. You all are ridiculous.

11. kmac7779
    August 29, 2009 1:15 am

@sebastiana… thanks, I’m glad someone said it. Pittsburgh is a plenty small town, and lots of people that read this blog know Roni. No matter how you feel about the guy, the comments on here border on obnoxious. He’s done nothing to make a public ass of himself like Ravenstahl, so it seems like maybe stepping off would be a pretty reasonable thing to do. I’m all for holding public officials accountable for their ass-hattery, but yeah, it’s getting a little much.

12. kmac7779
    August 29, 2009 1:17 am

PS… from the times I’ve hung out with the guy, I can tell you that he’s got more of a sense of humor than every other city official combined. (Not that that’s hard to do, but still — he’s a funny dude.)

13. Virginia
    August 29, 2009 8:53 am

Sebastiana and kmac7779:

I’m not sure which comments you read before deciding to tell all of us we are obnoxious and need to get lives, but going back and reading the comments here, a majority of them are supportive of what Yarone did and find it great that he has a sense of humor about his nickname. Sure there are some negative comments mixed in, but that’s to be expected, and even so, most of the negative comments on here were written in good humor. Perhaps next time, take a good read through the comments before you decide to paint all of my readers with such broad strokes of your brush.

14. kmac77779
    August 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Ginny — yes, the majority of the comments are supportive, and as I said in an email I sent to you at the same time as I posted my comment, I don’t think you have been even in the slightest nasty about him — everything YOU have said has been in good fun. But the comments that ARE negative are the ones that are, like I said, a bit much — saying that he’s using city money/time to do this (oh, c’mon), saying they’re shocked he could have a sense of humor, etc. I think it’s fair for someone on the other side that knows the dude to point out that he actually is a good guy, and that maybe it’s good to remember that there’s actual people behind the names on here, with families, friends, etc living throughout the ‘Burgh. And also, to be fair — this has happened before about the guy and I’ve never commented about it before. In the past when people on here have gotten defensive when they have known someone personally that people have gotten negative about in the comments, you’ve been pretty cool about pointing out that sure, we can have fun with this, but let’s keep it as much as we can in good fun. The lawyer with the bad hair and girl with (I can’t remember exactly what it was) on the back of the truck come to mind.
    I have to say I’m pretty bummed — I’ve been a HUGE fan and longtime reader of yours and was super excited to see you were back… sent out a message to all my friends and fam who used to follow you (many of whom only found your blog in the first place way-back-when because I told them about it). So you saying that I’m painting ‘your readers’ with too broad a stroke of my brush isn’t really fair either, since I’m one of those readers. It’s not like I saw you on CNN and dropped by just to judge your readers — I have an opinion too as one of your long-time supporters and I didn’t express it in any meaner of a way than the negative people did. So yeah, I guess I’d hoped you’d be cool with people pointing out the other side to the (yes, relatively few) people who made nasty comments. I’d appreciate if maybe next time YOU would remember that maybe not all of your readers are going to agree and maybe when someone disagrees it’s not some big personal attack on you or your readers.