Pig Cross

Today the Post-Gazette launched a fee-based premium content portion of their website called PG+, which I immediately subscribed to for a year at $36.

To answer your question, I support newspapers any way I can because I value the accountability they bring to our local politicians, corporations, organizations, and any other entity, and I don’t ever want to live in a Pittsburgh that doesn’t have a newspaper.  This might be an archaic way of thinking, especially for a blogger.  The newspaper industry is in such turmoil with rags bursting into flames left and right that I am all for our local newspapers doing what they need to to stay afloat.  Provided the regular newspaper content remains available on the site to be accessed freely, I’m so far pleased with what I see at PG+ except for this:

peegeplus

Who are the doofi that see “PG+” and can’t decipher that it is pronounced Pee-Gee-Plus?

Were there people in the test groups who were all, “Wait. Wait. What’s this called now? Pee-gee-addition?  PittGirl Plus?  Pig Cross? You’re going to need to spell that out phonetically for me.”

Unless, this was simply the P-G (pronounced pee-gee) assuming we’re all really that stupid (pronounced stooooo-pid), and I’m here to tell you, P-G, that you are 100/100% wrong.

1. Wckdcll
    September 1, 2009 10:32 am

Very Nice use of fractions!!!!

2. Virginia
    September 1, 2009 10:35 am

I figure if I keep using fractions incorrectly, that hot math teacher will volunteer to give me some tutoring. ;)

3. Schuyler
    September 1, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for the laugh – I SO enjoy reading your blog! Still giggling over “pronounced stooooo-pid.” Have a great day!

4. bluzdude
    September 1, 2009 10:54 am

Maybe next they can launch a site for adolescent newshounds called PG-13…

5. Brand New
    September 1, 2009 11:32 am

HAHAHA… idiots (pronounced idiots)!

6. Old Cynic
    September 1, 2009 11:40 am

Maybe the web usage will straighten up the left handed reporting and take the “rag” tag away for awhile. I get ’em both (Trib & PG) the article placement and omissions are cute. Big question is — WHY? Who are they actually working for?

The comics are great though, but PG refuses to put Doonsbury in the Editorial section. Hmmmm.

7. Christina
    September 1, 2009 11:49 am

I think you are giving people too much credit. You know there’s someone out there who’s all, “Hey, how do you pronounce those letters that look like a P and G? And this plus sign? I don’t get it!”

I think they have to do this just in case, because you know they’re going to get phone calls and emails from confused readers. Seriously, work in retail for five minutes and you’ll understand how stupid the general public is.

Pig Cross. Love it.

8. Martin Silenus
    September 1, 2009 11:56 am

Sadly, what really made me take notice was that the first time I read the post I thought is said “FREE-based premium content” and I’m thinking, “Didn’t these people learn anything from Richard Pryor?”

9. Jmat
    September 1, 2009 12:09 pm

Doofi! That cracked me up.

10. jdp
    September 1, 2009 12:13 pm

I know the doofi and they do exist. The PG and I differ in that I believe the doofi should not be corrected so that they are more easily identified and mocked.

11. B
    September 1, 2009 12:14 pm

“James, am I pronouncing that right? James?”
    -Bobby Wiig
    Adventureland

12. Bobbo
    September 1, 2009 12:40 pm

Thank you for publicly supporting newspapers! It means a lot to those of us who are employed by them to see someone who embraces social media also standing by that old dinosaur of a medium.

Also, I suck at math. I have to use a calculator to do EVERYTHING. Everything.

13. Different Brian
    September 1, 2009 1:09 pm

I am in fact a math major, and I HATE myself for being “that guy” but saying 100/100% is redundant… the word “per-cent” basically means “per 100″… so 100/100% is saying, one hundred out of one hundred per hundred.

I would not mention it, but you brought it up.

That math teacher should totally school you.

14. Elmer Palmer
    September 1, 2009 2:50 pm

I once had a peepee plus, where the plus turned out to be #2

15. Just A Simple Man
    September 1, 2009 3:26 pm

Ok I’m not a math major but…

100/100% = 100
    100/100= 1

At least Excel tells me so.. :-)

16. Scott
    September 1, 2009 10:19 pm

G, I thought that everything from One of America’s Great Newspapers was of the premium variety.

17. Alex
    September 1, 2009 10:37 pm

@bluzdude: is PG-13 pronounced “pee-gee minus thirteen?” :-)

18. aunt penny
    September 2, 2009 1:27 am

@different brian the math major (would that be m squared?). What does pee-gee minus thirteen equal? (good one Alex). And your answer must be in the form of a question.

And what if you give 100%, 100% percent of the time? hockey math rocks.
    (love those hockey commercials , if we didn’t have dannyb, I’d say we need to get that guy….14 more days)

19. RIZZO
    September 2, 2009 8:20 am

PIG CROSS! Now that’s fuggin funny right there!

20. Joe K.
    September 2, 2009 12:50 pm

Hey let us know how good PG+ is before we shell out the big bucks…

Though I do want newspapers to do well. I actually think we’re pretty fortunate here to have the PG, the Trib, and City Paper.

21. HistorTweet
    September 2, 2009 5:13 pm

So, I’ve been wrong all these years. I should’ve said, “I read it in the Pee minus Gee.”

22. Different Brian
    September 2, 2009 9:08 pm

Question: What is a movie that could be way better if they upped the violence and foul language?

Answer: PG-13

23. Carol Wolicki
    September 4, 2009 8:37 am

I wonder what Pburghers having trouble with PG+ think the G-20 is — a bingo number?

24. spoon
    September 4, 2009 10:23 am

Yinzers love bingo. They’d never make the mistake of moving 20 from I to G.