Boo!

You’re probably not surprised to hear that I get lots of emails that start with, “Ginny, I know how you feel about sick kids …” because I’ve been telling you guys how I feel about sick kids for four years now.

Yesterday, I received an email from reader Lauryn who linked me over to the story of Pablo, a six-year-old boy who died of rare brain cancer this summer.

You can read for yourself who Pablo was, who is family is, and the heart-punching posts in which his father, a music executive in LA, tries to come to terms with losing a child, but the thing that got me, the thing that pulled the tears from my eyes was reading that Pablo’s last words were, “I want my Mommy.”  Oh.

It is stories like that that motivate me to do what I can for children that are sick.  It’s why I write about them and it’s why I’m determined that we as a city should gift our local sick kids a new game room.

You can be like reader “M” who in this comment wrote that as long as I keep writing about pigeons, she “won’t vote to save a child.” Wow. Have a nice ride to hell, M. Hope it’s nice and toasty for you. Also, go away and don’t ever come back here again. Kthxbai.

Or you can help me out here.  Either way, you and I, we are getting our kids a new game room.  We might do it the easy way, which is to get out the vote through our friends, families, media outlets, blogs, etc. or we can do it the hard way, which is I ask you for money because hell, I’m unemployed.  I don’t have $10,000 to give to the kids.  But I’ll give what I can.

More later when I write about the G-20 (sum up: Oh, God.), but for now, this is your daily reminder to please vote because we are in fourth place and that means no game room.

Also, there’s more where this came from:

That Lady Gaga. She will eat your soul raw.

(h/t BurghBaby for the pic)

1. chrys
    September 16, 2009 10:34 am

I keep trying to vote my 10 today, but the site is not connecting!! I will keep trying. :)

As for Lady Gaga.. she is a freak.. WTF is wrong with that chick?? too theatrical! Just sing.. lol!

2. summer78
    September 16, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for being so determined!

September 16, 2009 10:40 am

What exactly is the point of a Lady Gaga? Why does a Lady Gaga exist? Who decided we needed a Lady Gaga? How big of an attention whore is Lady Gaga? Does Lady Gaga have any appreciable talent, or is he/she just adept at making every day Halloween?

Meanwhile, every weekend in my little town, a half dozen excellent bands play for approximately five people.

4. chrys
    September 16, 2009 10:46 am

we have Perez Hilton to thank for Lady Gaga.. and he is a bigger attention whore than she is. LMAO! Personally I like to refer to her as Lady Gag.. can’t stand her or her annoying music. She is one big WTF!

5. chrys
    September 16, 2009 10:47 am

oops.. finally got to vote my 10.. web site is running slow (atleast it was for me) Now time to register hubby for 10 more votes!

6. efw_west
    September 16, 2009 10:47 am

The thing to remember with people like M and other animal rights people is that they are wired differently. Ingrid Newkirk, the leader of PETA, is on record as equating the killing of broiler chickens with the Holocaust and has said that if one lab rat were to die in developing a cure for AIDS, then the price is too high. I think that says all there needs to be said about the “movement”.

7. Gumby
    September 16, 2009 11:19 am

Site was running very slow. Finally got it to accept my log-in and it says I already used by 10 votes for the day, try again tomorrow. I suspect Iowans are up to no damn good.

8. Jules
    September 16, 2009 11:27 am

If you’re reading this and haven’t voted, seriously, go vote. If you have time to sit here and read this website, you certainly have time to go help kids who only get an hour each day to play with 20 year old toys in the Children’s Hospital gameroom.

9. a visual tinkle
    September 16, 2009 11:27 am

i too was unable to get all my votes logged. There is definitely some shennanigans going on.

10. jdp
    September 16, 2009 11:33 am

I think they have to start all over now!

Stupid site.

First wouldn’t let me log in, then when I got it said I used my 10. Did NOT!

11. Joe K.
    September 16, 2009 11:55 am

I don’t know what to make of Lady Gaga because I can’t read her poker face.

[rimshot]

12. Scott
    September 16, 2009 12:03 pm

I totally admire Ginny’s dedication to this cause, which we all wholeheartedly believe in. However, if we don’t end up “winning” it takes nothing away from Children’s Hospital, Pittsburgh or any of us. Sure, it would be great to have a new game room, but let’s be real here…we have a brand spanking new whole friggin’ Childrens’ Hospital!

Let’s not get too wrapped up in this….life goes on, and our children have a world class facility to care for their needs.

13. Allison
    September 16, 2009 12:09 pm

I’m really starting to believe the top three have had some sort of vote tampering. They have some seriously ridiculous numbers.

14. joe
    September 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Hurrah! I’m for the other team! 10 votes for UIHC. Kill/talk about pigeons as much as you want. I’m with you there.

15. Elmer Fudd
    September 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Keep in mind if you have more than one mailbox you can double your votes…Oh the things I won’t do for a sick kid..

16. toni
    September 16, 2009 12:33 pm

just voted and posted to my facebook page…the site was a little slow and goofy during the actual vote “click”

17. tehamy
    September 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Scott – the point is that life does NOT go on for some of these children. Don’t you think it’s a worthy cause to ask people to vote each day so that a game room can bring some amount of joy to those kids? Don’t you think it worth it for Ginny to post a reminder every day. I do.

18. wckdcll
    September 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Alright I am very angry with this site!! UGH! I got 4 votes in so far mama but if the damn thing moved at even a turtles slowest pace I might get my 5th and 6th in before nightfall!

Lady GaGa, well, she supports me and “my people” whom she refers to as “the gays”….so I love that crazy bitch!

19. Silica
    September 16, 2009 1:32 pm

My votes aren’t logging either! Grrrrr.

Methinks there is something fishy going on.

P.S. I never want to know who Lady Gaga is. Ever.

20. somanybooks
    September 16, 2009 1:35 pm

I find it fascinating that individuals leave comments about how you should discontinue talking about pigeons, etc., yet they are enamored enough of your blog to bother to leave comments. Smell that irony.

Let’s not forget that the game room won’t just help the sick kids. It will help their parents and loved ones too, to see their kids enjoying a game instead of just another treatment.

My votes for today are in. Thanks for the reminder, Ginny.

21. Karen Dickinson
    September 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Please keep voting!

I’m delirious that there are actually people like “M” walking around. M, how could you stand up for a pigeon instead of a child, a sick child at that?

The only grace that I see in this is that you are not out there breeding as I seriously doubt you have any children. Because if you did, you would know what it’s like of ever even bearing the thought that you could lose your child someday.

22. Capt. Dummy
    September 16, 2009 1:37 pm

ooohhh… lada gaga is different and dresses weird, so lates all hate her. lol. people…

she’s actually a great talent, and one hell of a singer.

23. Erin
    September 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Is something supposed to happen? I keep clicking on “vote for this hospital” but it isn’t doing anything. Any thoughts?

24. Virginia
    September 16, 2009 2:02 pm

The site is being a MAJOR fail whale today. Perhaps try again tonight. I blame Iowa. ;)

25. Ang
    September 16, 2009 2:06 pm

I made an account, clicked PA, clicked the “Vote for this Hospital!” tab…and nothing happened? :(
    and when I refreshed the page, it told me I only had 3 votes left today (I haven’t voted at all yet today) *Frustrating Growl*

Any help?

26. Great Scot
    September 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Just got logged onto the site and got my votes in . . . I agree that it was a bit slow especially in calculating votes. It’s also tagged to my facebook page along with my pleas to my friends to help me raise money for MDA. If we, the healthy people with healthy kids don’t help those that need it, and one of these days we need that help . . . well it’s just something to think about. This could be your child.

September 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Because he/she’s so representative? Weren’t Elton and Liberace flamboyant enough?

I’d say there’s no way I’d love to be represented by (insert name of flamboyant, straight, white male who refers to “his people” as “the borings” here) but … um, I can’t think of one :(

28. mis
    September 16, 2009 2:55 pm

I wish we could get everyone on Reed’s slut list to vote – we would totally kick ass!!!

29. Monty
    September 16, 2009 3:00 pm

That Pablo blog — wow. I gotta admit, things got a bit dusty in my office when I read that.

30. Ant_041
    September 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Voted 10x today. I agree the site was slow but I managed to get my votes in.

31. Elle C.
    September 16, 2009 3:08 pm

thanks for the link to pablo’s site. when i read about him in your blog, it brought tears to my eyes, but when i read his story on PABLOg i literally cried. i can’t even begin to imagine going through something like that with my own daughter. just one more reason to register every email address i have and vote for children’s hospital 10 times a day.

32. Carson Street Observer
    September 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Ya know… I hope Pittsburgh loses the contest for the game room. That way, kids in Iowa AND Pittsburgh will get a new geared up facility thanks to your resolve. A sick kid is sad no matter where they are. Good for those folks in the middle of America getting behind their hospital. Everyone wins.

I’m ready to stroke a check for the cause when ya come calling.

33. Cathy
    September 16, 2009 3:22 pm

The site is particularly slow today… And it is sad to be in 4th place… but we can come back if we get more people to vote… Vote early and vote often.. :-)

34. Elmer Palmer
    September 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Ken,

I love the work you continue to do for sick kids. I would suggest, however, that Lady GoGa in the same post is scary. I am quite disturbed

35. jdp
    September 16, 2009 3:57 pm

lmao at cso – I’ll require a paypal button as I don’t write checks.

36. George
    September 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Finally, was able to vote my 10x today.

37. rna
    September 16, 2009 4:03 pm

I agree with CSO

38. Pensgirl
    September 16, 2009 5:00 pm

I didn’t quite have the same perspective as CSO, but I wasn’t going to be sad if Pittsburgh lost because it’s not like the choice is between sick kids here and healthy 25YOs elsewhere. No matter what, sick kids somewhere will benefit, and CSO makes a great point – thanks to your pledge to raise the money yourself, if we lose, then two hospitals win.

And really then Pittsburgh’s win is that we have you to lead the charge in taking care of our sick kids.

39. Mariann
    September 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi Your Majesty,

I am helping the sick kids everyday…when you remind me…

But, I really think it is a shame that we are only trying to win them a $10,000 gameroom. How many readers do you have? Come on, we are Pittsburghers??? Right? We can do way better than a 10K gameroom. Can’t we?

I really think it would be easier to set up a PayPal account for donations. $5 a person x how many readers? Have Polamalu and Sepulveda do something….and they would. I think we could out do any other city.

40. Tiffany
    September 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I’m more than willing to offer $100 towards the purchase of an xbox …. if we don’t win.

Ginny, I commend your efforts, and continue to vote.

I’m holding out hope, we’re not that far behind, and I’m not a quitter…..

I also know that UPMC is a little tight with the pocket these days, and I’m sure this would brighten the face of a child who would appreciate this more than we could ever realize.

Anyone else like to chip in? Come on yinz guys

41. Darla
    September 16, 2009 8:26 pm

There is nothing that hurts my heart more than kids and puppies. I am so sympathetic to children and dogs that I cry whenever I hear they’ve been wronged. I cried the entire segment on Michael Vick on 60 minutes, I hate that man with the fire of 1000 suns. I created 3 accounts on the childrens miracle network and I vote 30 times a day. These kids deserve it. VOTE DAILY AND PASS THE WORD!!!!! do it for the kids.

42. kentropic
    September 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Keep those reminders comin’, Ginny. Isn’t there some high-profile muckety-muck you could blackmail into taking a more visible leadership role with this contest for a few days?

43. Scott
    September 17, 2009 9:48 am

Tehamy,

Please re-read my post. You totally missed my point. And yes, I’ve put in my 10 votes daily.

44. wckdcll
    September 17, 2009 10:10 am

@bucdaddy umm, Elton John is older than my Grandfather and Liberace???? Kidding right?? I first of all am a gay woman and have had my ass beat by more men for it than have had them ask to watch so no, Elton John and Piano freak are not good to me. She is for the record, Bi, and I didn’t say she represents but supports me and my people. SUPPORT opperative word here. Homophob much? and age 65 or older need not reply! Bucdaddy what does flamboyancy have to do with support wait I will tell you, nothing!

Get with it will ya, for the record, she knew the piano by age four…can you say that? I call that brilliance…and, only God can judge me fool so stop doing his job! thanks, word!

45. Scott
    September 17, 2009 10:39 am

wckdcll…..

ummmm, what????

46. toni
    September 17, 2009 10:42 am

That outfit makes her look like she took a bath in a slaughterhouse…great shades of “Carrie”!

47. wckdcll
    September 17, 2009 10:49 am

Scott…umm what? what?

September 18, 2009 11:11 am

Homophob much?

No. Spell much?

Srsly, though, I really couldn’t possibly care less whether you’re straight, gay, bi, whatever. If Lady Gaga has some actual talent, good on her. I can’t imagine it doesn’t get obscured by her severe case of look-at-me-itis, though. But hey, my heros dress up in funny uniforms as “Pirates” and swing sticks at balls traveling 90 mph and don’t hit them very often, so who am I to judge?

49. Den
    September 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I liked your stuff better when written as PittGirl. You playing the part of “Accidental Local Celebrity” leaves alot to be desired. Are your 15 minutes up yet?

50. Virginia
    September 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Denny. I’ll be sure to let you know if I draw your number for the Steelers tickets on this here site you hate so much now.