A word on voting.

Yeah, the website to vote for our sick kids to win a game room is a giant hairy ball of suck right now.

This morning, after ten minutes I MAY have logged three votes.  Or I may not have.  Who the heck can tell?

We, that is Pittsburgh’s social media crowd, are putting our heads together to come up with a way to raise the $10,000 separate from the contest, because asking you to vote is no good if the site won’t actually let you, you know, VOTE.

I bet hanging chads have something to do with this. GOSH DARN CHADS!

Vote if you can, but also, stay tuned.

1. Pa-pop
    September 18, 2009 11:07 am

Just let me know where I need to send the check.

2. Jules
    September 18, 2009 11:07 am

Rock Band tournament! Charge a price/ask for a donation to enter, hold preliminary competitions at malls or something and then have one final event after people are eliminated. Get prizes donated for competitors. Something like that.. It could work

3. Der Burghermeister
    September 18, 2009 11:24 am

I’m not sure what has been more frustrating- watching CHP slip down the rankings, or trying to process a vote. Fortunately for the SICK KIDS, there are plenty of us that won’t let it matter…

4. Kacie
    September 18, 2009 11:42 am

Since you’re going after this yourself now, maybe you could personalize it even more and talk with the staff and kiddos at Children’s to find out exactly what they might like.

Then, figure out what that might cost. It might be $10k, might be less.

Shop their wish list around tahn. Hit up some local businesses that might be able to provide goods and services for a discount. It’s for a good cause, right? They’ll love the publicity they get.

Work out a deal where you list all the sponsors on your blog in some way for additional publicity.

Then…let us know how much it costs and let us know where to send the money.

5. Katie
    September 18, 2009 11:56 am

You guys could have some sort of Panel/Q&A/Meet and Greet with local bloggers to raise money. I’m sure plenty of people would make a doantion to meet/hang out with you.

Also, I feel like there should be some sort of breakfast food involved. Croissants and bloggers anyone?

6. chrys
    September 18, 2009 12:00 pm

I got my 10 in.. holy Sh#t that website is slooooww.

I am willing to donate money if you decide to start raising it. I’ve always had a soft spot for Children’s Hospital’s Free Care fund. My little brother had eye surgery there when he was 2 yrs old. They took such good care of him and my parents. He is now a very strong 22 year old Marine leaving for Afghanistan at the end of this month. :) My parents qualified for the free care fund, but declined because they saw a lot of sick kids those few days they spent there. I remember they payed on that bill a long time, but they happily did it.

So I say keep voting! And if that doesn’t work out, let’s find a way to help give those kids and those families this gift. I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. :)
    You can count on a donation from my family!

7. Greg
    September 18, 2009 12:12 pm

It works just fine at 4:30 AM while I am having my morning coffee before work.

8. Lisa
    September 18, 2009 12:28 pm

I LOVE the Rock Band idea!! You’d end up with more than $10k. I could actually get my husband to participate in something that requires him to get off of the couch, too. All for a good cause. I love it!!

9. rickh
    September 18, 2009 12:34 pm

I’ve had problems voting today too.

Kacie makes a great suggestion in trying to find out if they need/want anything in particular. I’ll send a check and if you need volunteers let me know.

10. RIZZO
    September 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I didn’t want to say anything, but I noticed that the website was a big ball of suck earlier this week. I couldn’t even get registered.

11. Virginia
    September 18, 2009 12:49 pm

You forgot “hairy.” A HAIRY ball of suck. ;)

12. Tiffany
    September 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Great news!!!!

Let me know if I can help in anyway…

besides donating, of course… ha ha

13. Mikey B
    September 18, 2009 1:08 pm

What do you mean give up? If the Pirates can keep showing up for every game, we can keep trying to get out votes counted. I just voted 10 times. It may take a while but isn’t it worth it?

14. bluzdude
    September 18, 2009 1:22 pm

I knew a guy named Chad once and he’s exactly the kind of guy that would slow down a website that helped sick little kids. He might even have been from Mississipi…

15. James K
    September 18, 2009 1:29 pm

While they are great suggestions, I don’t know if the extra stuff like Garage Band / Meet N greet are even necessary. I would mostly be interested in just knowing how I can donate! I also agree with maybe personalizing it… possibly they need X more than Y, etc. If you need any assistance either way, post the details and I’m all in!

16. JennyMoon
    September 18, 2009 1:41 pm

I’m so glad you said this because my computer at work is normally slow but that was ridiculous!

17. spoon
    September 18, 2009 3:47 pm

christ I have a feeling this is going to involve something being throw/tossed/smashed/vaulted/shot/slingshotted at me again. always does…

eh, its for the kids.

18. Capt. Dummy
    September 18, 2009 4:27 pm

i just love how the site is “big ball of suck” all of the sudden… it’s slow because so many people are logging on and voting. don’t we realize that?

19. NMSteve
    September 20, 2009 11:43 pm

@4 Great suggestion.

Perhaps the local social media community could get the Children’s hospital to let us sponsor a room. Something like at the cathedral of learning. We could sponsor a game room, or a surgery room, or a recovery room.

Every year the hospital could give us some feedback on what they need and we would blow their socks off because we love the kids. Not to mention it would be great fun to decorate at Christmas Time!

20. Den
    September 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Aren’t you at the 7 minute mark now?? “Accidental Celebrity”…so I may as well hawk Willie Montanez’s new shitty restaurant. I so love being a celebrity…look at me. Don’t I sparkle? Don’t you love my little pigeon schtick? It makes me eccentric. Keep looking at me dammit. Tick Tock…6 minutes left. Eat at Willies! Come see me there! I’m a celebrity! Just ask me.