Prepared for the worst.

Since posting my thoughts on the G-20, I’ve made some decisions:

1. I’m going to accept it’s coming and hope for the best.

2. I’m going to hope my city is prepared for the worst.

That said, it doesn’t mean I’m going to turn a blind eye to things like this:

1.  Dozens of police cars have been vandalized by suspected anarchists in town for the G-20:

Pittsburgh Police sources say at least a dozen police cars and a number of private cars were vandalized. Sources also confirm police investigators have substantial information to believe the crime was committed by anarchists in town for the G-20 Summit.

Sources indicate nails and screws were forced into the tires on at least a dozen marked and unmarked police cars as well as a number of private cars.

Sources indicate it is believed a number of suspected anarchists came to police headquarters late Wednesday night and damaged as many cars as possible.

Police indicate the tires cannot be plugged and must be replaced because the cars have to operate at high speeds.

Damage estimates at this time are running in the thousands of dollars.

Sources indicate the suspected anarchists came to prove to police they can do damage whenever and wherever they want.

2.  Here’s a video posted on youtube.  And here’s the commentary by a local anarchist:

I’m reposting this video because I am from Pittsburgh and have lived here all my life.

This video is kind of hard to watch for me because I just can’t take or believe how deceiving the corporate media is. I’VE NEVER SEEN SUCH PROPAGANDA IN ALL MY LIFE!!!! JUST TOTAL CONTROL!! TOTAL SCUM GOVERNMENT!! I MEAN THE SOVIET UNION WAS NEVER THIS BAD!! JUST HUMILIATION!! DOMINATION!! JUST THE OPPOSITE OF FREEDOM!!  FAT STUPID EVIL COPS STUMBLING AROUND EVERYWHERE!! ARMED FELONS IN THE MILITARY!! JUST URINATING AND DEFECATING ALL OVER US!! JUST LAUGHING AND SMILING AND GIGGLING AS EVERYTHING GOES TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET!! WITH A PACK OF MEDIA LIARS AND CRIMINALS SUCKING THE CURRENCY DRY!! BLOWING EVERYTHING OUT!!!!

And here are some comments from other users:

• Nice, they spend people’s money to pay for cops to kick those people.  I say, give them something that it’s worth their money!
  • No problem. It will be a beauty, the gov/cops will take full advantage of it’s power. It’s gonna be huge.
  • Burn it all to the fuckin ground

3.  From here:

• so Pittsburgh has about 40 Starbucks… hmmmm get them all in one night ;)
  • Fireworks make a excellent incendiary device for dumpsters and just about anything else.  They probably won’t get very far pushing the demonstration out of city unless they want it to go up in flames.  Smoke Bombs are da shit!  4th of July is coming.  You best stock up
  • Trust me. I live in Pittsburgh. The police force is known for their brutality. It won’t be fun, but we must do what needs to be done. They’ve also purchased A TON of tear gas for the occasion, and they are going to keep if wether or not the riot happens or not. It’s downright bullshit.
  • the only good thing i think that can come of this is that it is smack dab in the middle of three bioregions so kids from the midwest, mid-eastern seaboard, and the northeast could descend upon the city. it is a fairly central location to devour with our decentralized diversity of tactics. ;)
  • don’t get me wrong, i’m all about gettin wild, but let’s do it somewhere that the cops and feds haven’t been monitoring and building fences for months. let’s stop letting them write the script.
  • Exactly. Do you think they’re expecting us? Do you think they’re prepared for 10 Seattle Riots happening concurrently? God damn right. That said, they do sleep. I prefer a sleeping fascist in a onesie to one in riot gear. It’s all about picking your spot.
  • Damage doesn’t have to be done just in Pittsburgh alone you guys. Anarchists living in different parts of the country can form their own affinity groups and carry out a quick and unannounced action. It’s been done before small scale. If the word is spread out long enough and is well organized it might not be so small. Think of it like this. Pittsburgh get’s hit really hard while little actions are popping up all over the U.S. I can already see the NEWS headlines “Corporate America Under Siege?”
  • Knock it off… The pigs are not omnipotent or anything. How they stage for a summit is a military-like cluster fuck. Google up the Pittsburgh news sites; The pigs are fucking clueless. Last night they busted a drain cleaning busness for having some PVC pipe. The pigs said it could be a “sleeping dragon”. maybe that’s when their shit got fucked up. LOL.   Be fuckin’ careful but remember: All pigs are paper tigers…

From here:

Capitalism is not simply imposed by a few heads of state; it is a decentralized system perpetuated at every level of society. Accordingly, on the second day of the summit, actions will take place throughout Pittsburgh targeting institutions that perpetrate the daily oppression and devastation of the capitalist economy. The Pittsburgh G20 Resistance Project has prepared a menu of suitable locations for such actions. Pick a location, plan your action, and come to Pittsburgh!  The idea is that all the actions will conclude at 11:30 a.m. sharp, whether they last for four hours or four minutes up to that moment.

So you see why I’m a bit worried about our city and our police officers?

Take a look at that “menu” of locations for “actions.”

My God, they better not TOUCH Trader Joes. I will choke an anarchist bitch.

1. Just A Simple Man
    September 19, 2009 12:15 pm

bucdaddy.. I meant “pee” brains, nothing up there,
    just “waste”.

Scott, I think it’s a good thing the G20 is coming. I just find the side show of mental midgets the down side to this event not only here but whenever it is held.

2. Scott
    September 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Simple man,

I agree, it is an unfortunate side effect of reaching these lofty heights, but let’s not let it ruin the party.

3. Miss Lee
    September 19, 2009 12:48 pm

..Scott, have you LOOKED at the coverage/photos from previous G20s?

Our polititicans are risking the lives and livelihood of Pittsburgh’s citizens, for little more than a photo-op on the world stage. Tell me, how does this massive, gigantic triumph actually benefit this city?

Frankly, I don’t believe the G20 (or the G8, for that matter) accomplishes anything meaningful. I’ve been trying to find some tangible evidence of an accomplishment produced from this event – a policy, an economic plan, a treaty, SOMETHING – and I have come up empty.

Global economic policy is driven by the administrative staff and (hopefully) qualified economists of allied countries; real progress happens gradually and behind the scenes. Summits are about heads of state rubbing elbows and showing off to one another over a course of a long weekend.

4. Scott
    September 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Miss Lee,

Yes, I have. And you know what? London’s doing just fine today, thank you.

If nothing else, the G20 provides the equivalent of tens of millions of marketing $$ for our great city. It is akin to having a weeklong worldwide advertisement for our city, which I am totally in favor of.

I’m saddened to see that so many of you automatically assume the complete worst case scenario with this event. Have you ever considered the possibility that the protests and related distractions might be minimal, and that the G20 could be a tremendous, positive boon for Pittsburgh?

If this is your view, that I suggest you leave town next week, or lock your doors and hide in your basement.

I will be loudly and enthusiastically cheering for and celebrating Pittsburgh while the world’s leaders gather here.

5. Andee
    September 19, 2009 2:18 pm

What a dickhead that guy is. You’re not a Pittsburgher if you’re physically trashing your own citizens and city. I hope he and his anarchists friends get thrown in jail and not let out.

Shame on the city for allowing protesters. They all should’ve been banned in the first place.

unsatsified…I agree with you when you said “if only they would use their evil talents for good”.

This may sound stupid, but no more so than a lot of stuff I’ve read, why not just PRIVATELY have the leaders meet? And, do it at the White House.

6. Melissa
    September 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Ugh. This makes me queasy. I am so not looking forward to all of this…not one bit. :(

7. spoon
    September 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Video of Danny Onorato swearing in his super secret G20 special police

8. Mia`
    September 20, 2009 3:58 am

All I can say is I’m glad I no longer work downtown.

9. scottie
    September 20, 2009 12:18 pm

sooo, the thing is that anarchists have this bad habit of not REALLY being able to organize…being kind of the root of anarchism. plus, these are american anarchists, who really A: dont understand wtf they are talking about/believe in, and B: are by nature probably lazy, spoiled 20-somethings who smoke pot all day (not against the herb, but it does tend to retard accomplishment). so this isnt in europe where people actually vote, and actually have political ideology, and actually have monthly soccer riots. maybe a few of these people will show up, but i highly doubt it. american cops carry guns…something lacking from the bobbies in london.

also, i am probably more anti-starbucks than most of these people…i bet half of them are baristas and just hope they can get a week of vacation if the stores shut down!

scottie. lover of the burgh.

10. Matt
    September 20, 2009 12:46 pm

I’ve seen these folks engage in their special brand of performance art at economic summits around the world, from Seattle to Davos Switzerland. They sometimes dominate the next day’s news, but seldom affect the outcome. After ten years, they still don’t grasp the exquisite philosophical irony that “Anarchists” are the most organized of the many fringe groups who show up at these events! But I’ve found others to be far more entertaining –the topless butterfly preservationists in Paris; the arm-in-arm march of the UAW with the Seattle Lesbian Avengers; and the accidental unloading of a truck of manure by an agriculture activist onto himself in front of the World Bank on Pennsylvania Avenue, all come to mind.

I agree that the more important message is the opportunity for the Burgh. Global exposure is great, even if a few fringers stage a couple of window breakings. That’s why God made all those little plastic handcuffs.

11. Daniel Casciato
    September 21, 2009 9:40 am

I was also excited about the G20 coming here, at first. Now, I think it was a huge mistake.

How is this event pumping millions of dollars of free advertising? The only publicity we’ll get is if there are massive (and violent) protests. Otherwise, I think most people could care less about the G-20.

We’ll be barely a blip on the radar of the national and international media. They’ll only mention Pittsburgh once–just to tell readers where the G-20 is. There won’t be photos and videos of the city like some people have been deceived to think. Look, I’m all for raising the profile of our city, but I agree with a previous post by Ginnie… we don’t need to keep reminding people how cool we are.

12. Sofa King
    September 21, 2009 9:45 am

These little leftist fundies do nothing but undermine their own cause…as if anarchy can actually be considered a “cause”…by committing acts of violence. If they had 4 working brain cells among them, they might try to actually build a case for it based on reason and discourse…and then people might actually see them as more than just a nuisance.

I propose a 3-stage defense strategy consisting of: 1) finding where the anarchists are staying and dropping nondescript packages containing large quantities of marijuana, water pipes, and a few hundred copies of the Phish box set, and 2) enacting Yinzer Justice by telling every Tino from Bloomfield that the people with dreadlocks are coming to key his Camaro. If those fail, stage 3 is to alert every camo hat wearing, pick-up driving good ol’ boy and tell them the anarchists are in town to burn down the Gander Mountain stores and steal everyone’s Larry the Cable Guy DVD’s.

13. Kathy
    September 21, 2009 11:00 am

My husband is one of those police officers (SWAT) men from another community coming to help out, and all I can do is worry — worry about my town being burned to the ground, worry about my workplace being shut down for 4 days, and worry about my husband having to take these people’s shit while they arrive and try to destroy our city. I’ll be happy when its over.

September 21, 2009 11:33 am

How do anarchists even organize such things? I mean, isn’t “anarhcy organization” an oxymoron? (Emphasis on the “moron.”)

September 21, 2009 11:34 am

*–“anarchy”

Sheesh, Mondays …

16. ultraviolet
    September 21, 2009 11:53 am

They are targeting the Bloomfield-Garfield & Lawrenceville community groups because some of them are against the revitalization happening in those areas. Idiotic, isn’t it. They took the “Keep Lawrenceville Clean” posters and reprinted them to say “Keep Lawrenceville Dangerous”. Right, because drug dealers and violence is preferable to independent, locally owned businesses? They should move to Cal-Kirkbride or Kelly St in Homewood if thats what they want. Ha, I’d love to see them try.

17. kelli
    September 21, 2009 5:44 pm

Thank you, ultraviolet. I didn’t realize that was their justification. And that is just nuts. I mean, I hate when gentrification pushes working class folks out with super high prices. But that doesn’t mean I want to keep drug dealers and violence. And I wouldn’t ever think to protest folks working to make their community better. Especially B-G Corp., which makes a special effort to improve the neighborhoods while still providing affordable housing to working class folks.

18. Stastonio Holmes' Penis
    September 22, 2009 9:52 am

IMHO, the anarchists are really radical right-wing blowhard republican conservatives in disguise so they can brainwash more naive drones, a.k.a. “real americans”, and draw them to their websites and tv/radio shows to buy their “products’ and collectively group with other asshats who cannot think yet alone formulate an opinion on their own

19. Ken
    September 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Are you people serious? Have you paid any attention to the protests at the last to RNCs for example? Anarchists are hardly a problem. What has been a problem have been cops (who are shipped in from cities across America, PGH police will only be part of the force), illegally detaining and arresting legitimate, peaceful protests.

This post and the comments just represent the fear mongering that surrounds these events. Do a little reading up before you feed the fire.

20. Pingback: Shadyshide hopsital on lockdown | Pittsburgh Metblogs