Dumpsters, tear gas, shit

Now that the G-20 is wrapped up with a pretty bow and shipped away, and now that the garbage cans have returned to the city sidewalks, which of course Lukey was going to protect his garbage cans, he paid a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS for those puppies, just a few final thoughts:

1.  A bartender at a local eatery told my husband that a group of anarchists were in there having a meal, bragging about the “destruction” they rained down on Pittsburgh, etc. and after their meal was over the little whippersnappers paid with a bank card. No Banks! No Borders!

2.  Nicky Sarkozy never called me for a drink. (I’ve been informed via twitter that both sadcakes and sad panda are outdated and I’m lame if I continue to use them, so for now I’ll say … poopers!)  Poopers.

3.  In hindsight, on the whole, I thought the G-20 was handled exceptionally well and I thought Pittsburgh, the city not the people because we the people were in hiding, looked beautiful for the event.  I’m thrilled that no businesses went down in flames, that no police were injured (that I know of), and that police/civilian relations were for the most part uneventful.  I imagine this successful G-20 will reflect well on Lukey and Danny Boy come election time.

4.  Reader Dan Meyers has some of the best-edited G-20 protest videos I’ve seen, so be sure to check out the odd, adorable, and humorous characters he got on video.  Also, he clearly has an eye for a pretty face because there are some major cutie-pie protesters in that video.

5.  Reader Sean Colombo did his thing with his camera and came away with an excellent dumpster-rolling picture and a few shots of a local woman providing ice water for the police (his site seems to be down for the moment. Try again soon).

6.  I’m horrible for having not linked you over there yet, but one of the best outcomes of the G-20 being held in Pittsburgh was the fodder it provided to the Angry Drunk Bureaucrat to be hilariously awesome.  Go read what he wrote over the past two weeks.  You’ll pee your pants, I promise you.

7.  You agree with me, don’t you, that the physical damage to Pittsburgh’s store fronts was not horribly bad, right? Check out how one anarchist described the “destruction” on one of their forums:

The Insurrectionary forces of orgiastic violence showed great discipline in their four rounds of ultra-violence through pittsburgh violence today. 1st round: dumpters, tear gas, shit. 2nd round: a bank. 3rd round: cops hit, flares off, multiple businesses destroyed. 4th round: a night of pure rage, mcdonalds, right aid, american apparel, recruiting station, police station, bagels, cars, windows, homophobes, cops, every single store on the path of war was made obsolete in greatness and glory, dumpsters on fire, cop windshields cracked, and on top of that, students, togas and utter madness. can’t stop the chaos.

Silly anarchists! Lies are for politicians.

Also, Insurrectionary Forces of Orgiastic Violence would make a GREAT death metal band name.

(h/t Steely McStupid)

1. red pen mama
    September 28, 2009 10:55 am

#1. At lunch today, one of my coworkers said he overhead two Target workers talking about some protesters who came in to buy things — at TARGET — for their protests at the G-20. Because Target isn’t an international capitalist corporate organization. Nope, uh-uh.

Bet they paid with a bank card, too.

#7. I was out of town this weekend, but I checked in with the PG (sans +), and read some of the G20 “aftermath” coverage, and as I read over some quotes from “anacharists”/protesters, I kept thinking how very delusional they were. Your last point confirms that for me. Anacharists = small-minded, delusional people. Possibly with Napolean complexes.

Pittsburgh acquitted itself well. I wish the media had covered more of the peaceful protests and less of the a-holes. Because that just encourages them to continue to be a-holes.

ciao!
    rpm

2. Scott
    September 28, 2009 11:11 am

As I suspected, and stated on the That’s Church comments last week, the G-20 was a huge success for Pittsburgh. A broken bank window, ATM and house door are a small price to pay for the legitimacy and exposure this provided the city.

We were in NYC over the weekend staying at the Waldorf-Astoria. The place was packed with UN delegates and Pittsburgh was the hot topic of conversation…at the WALDORF….IN NEW YORK.

Win.

Period.

End of story.

3. Scott
    September 28, 2009 11:18 am

Forgot to mention that, while in NYC, we were able to observe the global news slant on Pittsburgh and the G20. The bulk of the coverage was focused on the Summit, a re-energized Pittsburgh and how well Pittsburgh handled the situation as this was, by far, the least destructive G20 since they started having these things. Any coverage we saw on the protests was about how minor they were and how well Pittsburgh dealt with them.

All good!

4. Infinonymous
    September 28, 2009 11:22 am

Your Sarkozy expectations were unrealistic.

Unless a girl’s already been bagged, tagged and tossed to the curb by Mick Jagger, Sarkozy isn’t interested these days.

On the other hand, just being “PittGirl” would probably have gotten you some all-you-could-handle-and-then-some-screaming-and-shaking action from the police in Schenley Plaza.

5. Pensgirl
    September 28, 2009 11:30 am

6. Angry Drunk Bureaucrat is one of the world’s great reading pleasures. Srsly.

7. I am in no way pleased that any businesses were harmed at all, but if those twats believe that storefront-window-breakage is “ultra-violence” that will render the owner-businesses “obsolete,” so much the better for the rest of us. They actually know even less about the world than I previously thought, and that’s saying something.

6. Infinonymous
    September 28, 2009 11:31 am

Is anybody planning to take a few seconds from pretending that Pittsburgh isn’t still a second-rate (sliding toward third-rate) town to pay attention to the Thursday-Friday events in Oakland? Or are the delusions of adequacy too much fun?

7. Bram R
    September 28, 2009 11:34 am

4. That’s a pretty amazing video. I didn’t realize how many of the marchers were hot and/or had interesting hair.

8. jennviolet
    September 28, 2009 11:54 am

7. Someone needs to shake that damn “anarchist”, Alex from A Clockwork Orange wannabe and kick him in the nuts.

9. Patrick
    September 28, 2009 12:10 pm

I was a part of the National Guard force stationed in Pittsburgh for G20. I really have to say that going into this I was under the impression that the people of Pittsburgh were leary of us being there. (what was printed and rumors)
    Not one person that talked to us said anything negative. They were all happy we were there and thanked us. I am glad our presence along with the many police, (Cleveland, Chicago and I’m sure others along with Pittsburgh) made it the least violent summit to date.
    On another note, talk to us. We are not unapproachable. If we are not actively engaged in something, we can and do talk to people. Heck, we’ll even let you sit in the Hummvee’s and take pictures. We can’t let you drive or take you for a ride. Sorry.

10. L-A
    September 28, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks for helping to keep our city safe, Patrick!

11. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Thank you Patrick for keeping my hometown safe last week and also for your service. It is appreciated.

12. bluzdude
    September 28, 2009 12:16 pm

So it seems our nation’s youth has not lost its gift for hyperbole.

I’m betting the lack of serious damage is because none of the out-of-towners could find their way to where they were supposed to go.

Last thing heard from the anarchists: “Over there! I wanna go over there!” (as they go sailing down the wrong ramp)

13. Pat
    September 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Seriously, Infinonymous. I know Pitt students (not protesting) who were in the library and told to leave, only to be sound-cannoned and tear-gassed when they got out on the streets. I don’t like protesters ripping up Pittsburgh more than the next guy, but the response to those protests on Friday seemed particularly brutal.

14. mfj
    September 28, 2009 12:41 pm

I still like sadcakes. Oh well.

September 28, 2009 12:49 pm

patrick — thank you and your fellow guardspeople for your service during the G20.

while I’m bummed that some businesses received some damage, I am really glad that it wasn’t worse.

what will come out of it for pittsburgh in the future? I guess we’ll see. I was down in VA this weekend and I still have to mention to people when they ask where I am from that pittsburgh ain’t that “dirty, smoky, ‘hell with the lid off'” city anymore.

now — where’s that “what they were thinking” stuff, ginny? ;-) I really want to know what the hell the steelers’ D was thinking on that last bungles drive…..

16. La Reina
    September 28, 2009 1:10 pm

What do they have against bagels (or are the silly little credit card-toting anarchists anti-Semitic besides being anti-capitalism)?

17. Bojack
    September 28, 2009 1:12 pm

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

Show me the “reimbursement” for the money already paid thousands of law enforcement personnel, the miles of fencing and
    jersey barriers!!

TIP: Don’t hold your breath!!

PITTSBURGH IS THE ONLY CITY TO HOST A G20 THAT’S IN
    RECEIVERSHIP!!!!

In this afternoon’s PG the statement by the “leaders” that was a success provides this icing on the cake:

The $50K in damage to small businesses is NOT covered by the insurance the city (we) bought.

FLASH: Their property damage is NOT covered by the business owners’ OWN policies either!! Riots are excluded!

Guess they’re just ‘sposed to take one in the ass for the team!

18. Triple C
    September 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Patrick – thanks so much for what you guys did over the course of the G20. I’m one of the many people that work downtown and ended up working remotely for a few days so you and your fellow law enforcement folks could do your thing if the knuckleheads showed up and tried to cause trouble.
    Thankfully that didn’t happen.

Oh, now if I knew the photo up with the Humvee (and possibly an automatic assault rifle? please?) was possible then I may have re-thought trying to venture downtown. At least I would finally be able to see where my tax dollars were being spent.

Again, good job!

19. Jill
    September 28, 2009 2:01 pm

As a Downtown resident I have to say that I missed having people around last Thursday and Friday. The law enforcement folks were great (Thanks, Patrick! I talked to everyone I could talk to! You were all very friendly!), and the city looked beautiful. I volunteered at various points throughout Downtown last week, and I talked to a LOT of foreign journalists and without exception they were all impressed with our city.

Yay Pittsburgh!

20. geeves
    September 28, 2009 2:14 pm

During the day law enforcement handled both marches (legal and illegal) relatively well. But once they entered Oakland, things devolved into something I would never imagine happening in Pittsburgh. Using the LRAD on side streets in residential areas of Lawrenceville was completely unexpected.

Our local police know how to handle large celebrations and manage them, this was just something else completely, something completely frightening. To see friends who went simply to observe return bruised up because they were hit by rubber bullets, etc. just disheartening.

I think Oakland (on both nights) could have been handled much, much better.

21. Bram R
    September 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Patrick – Thanks! I wonder if you were stationed near my house. Yeah, the national guard were really top-notch and nonthreatening. Same with the state troopers. The locals were a bit of a mixed bag but we had some weird situations out in the college area and around it. Next time see if you can get your commander to defend Oakland, please. I know you’re coming back here because things went so well and the President didn’t get his pancakes.

We were a little awestruck, but yeah next time we’ll know better to stop and say hi and take pics.

22. Megan
    September 28, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks for #6 – I enjoyed many articles from ADB. I wish I could figure out how to follow him on Facebook.

23. Jen
    September 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Everywhere but Oakland the G-20 may have been pulled off without a hitch, but Oakland was a mess! Pitt held classes Thursday and Friday. Aside from being told to stay “near” their residences (and how exactly do you define “near”??) but were still treated like criminals for observing goings-on and for going about their daily lives. I want to see certain officers I’ve seen videos of be fired.

They stormed the Quad and told students to go home, all the while forcing them AWAY from the doors to their residence halls and bothering people who were sitting outside on the benches minding their own business…I could go on, but I’ll stop.

My email to Pitt officials has already been sent too. Four years of living on campus (and in Towers to boot!…was an RA) makes me mad as hell about this.

24. Carol
    September 28, 2009 7:19 pm

The rogue, unpermitted protesters who made their way to Oakland were the problem. However, if the university sent out warnings to students to stay away from the disturbances, both Thursday and Friday evenings, how come so many kids decided to go outside and “just take a look”. Yep, some of the police may have been out of line, but the students acted stupidly. I’m just sayin’. And where was Nordenberg in all of this? He’s the face of Pitt and he showed no public leadership.

25. Jen
    September 28, 2009 7:47 pm

There weren’t enough permits granted, but that’s a whole different issue.

It’s the nature of people to want to look. Nothing the students were in or near was violent and when the orders to disperse were given they TRIED to disperse but had been encircled by riot police who essentially let them go nowhere and then arrested them for “failing to disperse.” Load of crap. Many, many innocent people got injured as a result of the idiotic methods. You can’t hole yourself up in a dorm room or crappy apartment for 2+ days (aside from going to class…which Pitt still had on Thursday and Friday) comfortably. And why should they have had to hide out in their rooms?? Some people were waiting for tables at Fuel and Fuddle (where you wait outside) and were affected by the OC gas. People going about their daily lives were affected by OC gas and that damn LRAD that can damage your hearing permanently!

It’s the only comparison I have, although it isn’t great..but: I was a senior at Pitt in 2006. When the riots started I sure as hell was outside taking pictures and documenting what was going on. It was too crazy to not witness. None of the police that night hassled innocent people or used tactics that could hurt bystanders. Even though the whole world was looking this time these extreme tactics were not needed and people’s rights need to not be violated.

If you haven’t, watch the video where a riot officer enters Towers Lobby and tells students “Right now they’re telling everyone to disperse. It’s almost like the government is coming in and saying it’s martial law. It’s not. But you go out there, and they arrest you [inaudible] also up to being kicked out of school…” These are students who were hanging out on the Towers Patio…University property where there are constantly students hanging out.

link: http://pittbriefly.com/index.php/site/comments/armed_police_set_off_tear_gas_outside_towers/

I agree administration needs to step-up. I’ve sent emails to them telling them just that.

26. Jen
    September 28, 2009 7:49 pm

I forgot to clarify that the 2006 riots for when we won the Superbowl….just in case ya don’t know, lol.

27. Scott R Priester
    September 29, 2009 6:22 am

The crowd on Friday evening was not all Pitt students. As a matter of fact, there were people of all ages. 39 year old male here stopping on my way home from work wondering what could possibly be going on after the whole summit was over. I parked in Shadyside on a sidestreet near Morewood and walked down Fifth Avenue. As I made my way towards Oakland, over thirty police related vehicles went screaming down Fifth Avenue reminiscient of the World Trade Center being bombed. When I got down to Schenley Plaza I was more than surprised to see that nothing was going on, other than a friendly old hipster playing the “Chicken Dance” over a bullhorn, and people of ALL ages gathered around the plaza. I understand this area closes at 11pm, and if that’s correct, all they had to do was announce it was closing. Never in my life have I witnessed such a military like presence of police.

The stories of one faction of police directing people in one direction and another faction of police telling onlookers otherwise is one hundred percent true. The picture and video I am seeing of wounds and injuries is upsetting and I’ve also found a very disturbing video of police with a female in her 20’s in custody, being forced to be photographed with a group of officers on Forbes Avenue, then being dragged away.

28. JennyMoon
    September 29, 2009 10:27 am

pensgirl said twats….that was funny!

29. Chris
    September 29, 2009 6:21 pm

I have no sympathy for those people who claim they were surrounded my police in Schenley Park and couldn’t get out. They gave plenty of warning, I want to say 8 times, before they made any moves. Bottom line….you should’ve never been there to begin with.

30. Michael
    September 29, 2009 7:31 pm

I’m not going to pontificate about the reprehensible police conduct and failure in leadership from city officials in the handling of protesters during the G-20 last week. All I can say is that something went terribly wrong. The facts will speak for themselves once the investigations get under way. I get it that we’d like to focus on the nature of the anarchist protesters for some laughs (Jon Stewart’s take on them last night was hilarious), but I hope we realize that the suspension of civil liberties in a democracy is no laughing matter. I guess I’ve begun to pontificate so I’ll quit now.

Thankfully, this issue isn’t going away anytime soon, and I’m glad the discourse is already under way. For a thoughtful and critical analysis of what went down, check out Tony Norman’s column in today’s PG: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/1001566-153.stm

31. Scott R Priester
    September 30, 2009 6:19 am

Michael, thanks for posting that link, great article.

Chris, what you don’t understand is, there was no reason to build the show of force to begin with. Nothing was going on. It was just another busy Friday evening on Forbes Avenue.