Random n’at

1. TURTLENECK WEATHER!  Yes!

2. A facebook chat with my sister Tina Fey/Marcia who lives in Texas:

Ginny: Speaking of, I have no clue what to write for my December column. Blerg.

Marcia:  Winter.  The fact that those of us who live away would love to have a Pittsburgh winter.

Ginny: Hmm.  But I should use that for January because winter won’t really hit until late December and this column will actually go live in late November.

Marcia: Then fall.  I have two more seasons if you don’t like those.

Ginny: You’re a GIANT GIANT HELP!

Marcia: I think so.

In her defense she has an infant son with reflux and some of you moms and dads out there are going, “Sister, I have been there and it does suck.”

3.  The restaurant opening shit is kicking my ass.  Hard.  Again, Las Velas is opening on Friday for lunch and if you’re looking for me when you come for lunch or dinner, I’ll be the girl sitting in the corner twitching from exhaustion.  I may or may not have a vise-like grip on a staple gun.  If you followed me on Twitter, you would understand why.

4.  It would appear that I will be meeting the Dread Lord Zober this week. Face to face.  I bet he tries to destroy me for being critical of Lukey saying yes to the G-20. It’s okay. My ninja skills are up to date and also, I have a staple gun.

5.  The winner of the Steelers/Chargers tickets will be announced in today’s What They’re Really Thinking post around 3:00 p.m.  Cross your fingers that the Random Number Generator smiles on your comment today.

6.  Here’s a local 16-year-old who just went on his first solo flight and as a former pilot wannabe I am incredibly jealous and as a current mom I am all, “YOU’RE GOING TO PUT YOUR EYE OUT!”

7.  Did you guys see this young organist?  He’s like a church lady, Liberace, and Beethoven all rolled into one.  Here’s a youtube video of him doing his impressive thing.

YouTube Preview Image

I cannot express to you how much I want to power-staple his butt to his bench. What?!  I’m being HELPFUL!

1. Jim Paek is my hero
    September 28, 2009 7:27 am

Don’t write about Summer because we never had one this year. You could always combine Winter and Fall and call it “Winterfall” because Fall here is early winter.

2. REARless
    September 28, 2009 7:33 am

Are those special “Organ Playin'” shoes?

3. Bojack
    September 28, 2009 7:34 am

Are we sure it’s not like a “player piano” where you can pay $5, + shoe rental? Additional $5 for a souvenir video??

Like “Guitar Hero” for organs?? LOL

Luv the shoes!!

4. TwinMamaTeb
    September 28, 2009 7:39 am

Re the Zober meeting…is this a job interview? And GL on the restaurant…you know I feel your pain, fellow widow….

5. Sooska
    September 28, 2009 7:40 am

I also didn’t know you needed special shoes to play an organ, but clearly “Organ Savior” shoes would be big in many social circles. Ot a great name for a band.

Write about how we rarely have real spring and fall seasons (except for winter) any more. We go right from heat to A/C in the spring – sometimes in the same day- and in the reverse in the fall. My maple tree is dropping it’s leaves before they even change color. decided to deleaf right into winter -skipping fall altogether. nice. beware.

6. L-A
    September 28, 2009 8:02 am

The shoes totally just made me giggle. Tappy tappy tap tap tap on the foot pedals you white-heeled monsters. I really hope they’re used only for organ playing.

7. spoon
    September 28, 2009 8:16 am

I was at a G-20 reception last week and thought of you ginny. In attendance along with delegates was Gov. Fast Eddie, Danny O, Doug Shields and a plethora of Lukey’s minions.

I tried to get some pics with these guys and yeah security wasnt having that.

Food was good though and I got to see what it was like in the front seat of a police car for once.

8. SpudMom
    September 28, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Reflux: Sister, I have been there and it sucks. Mine is 6.5 months old but the first 4 months were sheer unadulterated hell.

9. Bojack
    September 28, 2009 8:50 am

I’m thinking of getting a pair of those and dyeing the shoes gold, with black heels, and wearing them to the Chargers game!!!

Section 112, see ya there! LOL

Maybe Payless BOGO! :-)

10. Andrea
    September 28, 2009 8:56 am

I’ve played the Chopin “Revolutionary” Etude — pretty well, but with just my hands — and I can’t express how unfathomable this is! He’s like the Fred Astaire of the organ, and the damn thing’s even pretty musical, not just a stunt.

Yep, those are special “Organ playin” shoes — they enable his heels to reach just as many notes as his toes do — which is freakin’ unbelievable. I can’t believe I missed this concert. I can’t believe he figured out how to do this…

11. Tina Fey
    September 28, 2009 9:02 am

Not that this is in anyway related to Ginny’s column, but any and all reflux suggestions are appreciated.

And, Gin, yes, I’m using your blog for my own personal needs. Suck it, Sister.

12. SpudMom
    September 28, 2009 9:34 am

Tina Fey – been through it with both my kids, second one worse than the first. Been through almost all the kinds of meds for it, too.

It’s so long and involved it would be a lot easier to just email privately. If you aren’t weird about talking to some random stranger in pittsburgh, I’d be happy to pass on what I know.

cari.taylor@gmail.com

13. Pens Fan
    September 28, 2009 9:53 am

Tina Fey – if you are using Gin’s blog for your own personal needs so I will I…anyone know Sidney Crosby! HA!!! If so – Ginny knows how to reach me. :)

14. blip-in-the-burgh
    September 28, 2009 10:03 am

Tina Fey, my son has reflux, we had him go to a gastro when he was 2 or 3. He’s now 7. We went through all the meds. Started out with zantac, then went to prevacid. He’s now back to zantac, and the doc has him slowly weening off of it. He’s also taking cyproheptadine to calm his stomach down, before he sleeps. Hope this helps!

15. bluzdude
    September 28, 2009 10:22 am

I think Las Velas (Spanish translation: The Velas) will have a smashing opening. Your minions gotta eat, after all…

I think Organ sellers include the white shoes with purchase of all organs. It’s like a gang sign. You see a guy with white loafers and you’re like, “pedal on, bro…”

16. No Princesses Here
    September 28, 2009 10:30 am

Tina Fey- My daughter had reflux and was on zantac till 10 months or so. She liked to sleep in her swing alot- being propped up seemed to help. I also seem to remember going through a lot of mylicon and special formula, but I’m not sure if that was related to the reflux- that 1st year was kind of a blur! Good luck and hang in there! I feel for you!

17. SML
    September 28, 2009 11:15 am

Lived in Texas for 14 years before moving back to Pittsburgh. I totally agree with Tina Fey. Having all 4 seasons in Pittsburgh rocks.

18. JenEngland
    September 28, 2009 11:43 am

Why is the organist wearing Old Witch’s shoes?
    (Great children’s book from when I was a kid)

19. butcher's dog
    September 28, 2009 1:43 pm

On Howdy Doody (ask your parents. Or grandparents.) there was a character called Princess SummerFallWinterSpring. Ginny could go with that.

20. justagirl
    September 29, 2009 6:35 am

I’m a little nervous about this twitching from exhaustion while holding a staple gun thing… It makes me fear that on Monday, I’ll be reading something like, “OK, so I stapled [Insert Minion Name Here]’s hand to the table on Friday, but I was totally exhausted. And I was super nice after I did it! I even bought him a drink while they were trying to pry him loose to get him to the hospital.” Maybe people should just, you know, wave from afar?