Random n’at.

1. Guess what I wrote my December Pittsburgh Magazine column about last night at 1:30 in the morning? You’ll never guess.  WINTER!

Tina Fey’s response after she proofread it for me:

Ha Ha, you did it on winter.  I seriously rock.  Excellent article.  It made me wish I lived there…as usual.  I like to pretend it’s winter by wearing my coat and boots regardless of the fact that it’s 70 degrees and sunny most days.  I just sweat a lot and wear lots of deodorant.  Texas, in case I haven’t said it recently, sucks. So, when did you decide my idea about weather was genius?

And you thought I had a big giant ego.

But, yeah, a column to get you prepared for the long winter ahead.  I hope you enjoy it once it goes live and to print. Some of you gave me some great suggestions that I hope to put to use in the future.

2.  What They’re Really Thinking will be late today. You will live.

3.  I spent Saturday at PodCamp Pittsburgh 4 (Sold out, bitches).  First I went to Burgh Baby‘s session to learn about blog fodder, along with what seemed like 400 people jammed into the room. Then, I sat in on Mikey and Big Bob’s session on why you shouldn’t tweet your poop.  And you think I’m making that up, but I’m not.  Big Bob once tweeted a picture of his poop and lost like 300 followers.  Two days after their session and you can already buy the shirt they inspired!

My session with Mike Woycheck was incredibly nerve-wracking for me at first.  I think after about 20 or 30 minutes into our presentation, I finally calmed down enough to be myself and not just a nervous version of myself.  We talked about why I started the blog, why I closed it down, why I started it back up (whoa, flip-flopper!), the real story behind the CNN interview, why I’m so shy and lots of other fun stuff.  The video of the session will be available soon and I’ll let you know when.

Here I am answering a question and looking important because I’m holding a water bottle:

(photo courtesy)

Here I am, with iJustine, who is going to be on Law and Order: SVU next month:

Are we not like day and night? Ebony and ivory? Oranges and apples? Blond and brunette? Perky and shy? Young and older-ish?

We are.

Here’s a funny fact I learned while chatting with her:  iJustine and I both wanted to be astronauts when we were teenagers.

We would have rocked those space suits and that slow-motion-heading-for-the-launch-pad walk. Hard.

I told Justine that I would try to find my senior picture from high school because, well, let’s just say that it incorporated some NASA imagery and leave it at that. Dear friends and family, if you have that picture you better keep it to yourself or I will kill your pets, PETA be damned.

PodCamp was absolutely a highlight of my year and I’ll be back every year from here on out, hopefully learning other life lessons as valuable as “don’t tweet your poop” and “don’t drink everything you’re handed.”

4. Now that I survived PodCamp, I’ll hopefully have an easier time surviving Pittsburgh Young Professional’s ESPRIT event this Friday where I’m to be a guest bartender. I’ve been assured I’m only serving beer and wine and therefore will not need to know the ingredients of any actual drinks.  I’m bringing my sister Tammy/Pens Fan with me as my date. I believe I’m paired with Jim Lokay for this bartending gig starting at 7:00 p.m. and we are totally going to go Cocktail on your asses.  Twirling bottles of wine.  Juggling bottles of beer between the two of us. Possibly lighting liquids on fire.  Probably being asked to leave because of all the broken glass we generate. Fun times!

5.  Finally, I have so many things I want to write about, including a quick giveaway, and I’m going to get to those things tonight.  In the meantime, here’s Daniel Sepulveda looking like he wants us to rip his shirt off:

Someone find him and oblige him.

(h/t Christine)

1. Still A. Fan
    October 12, 2009 12:44 pm

iJustine = hubba hubba

2. L-A
    October 12, 2009 12:45 pm

I wore my do-me boots today in your honor…and you have given me the best reward – Daniel Sepulveda in all his hot glory. Sigh. Glad your presentation went well and I’m doubly glad I was not one of the unlucky Big Bob followers to see a tweeted poop.

3. Scooter
    October 12, 2009 12:50 pm

You rock the casually knotted, non-weather related, multi-colored scarf.

4. Scott
    October 12, 2009 1:06 pm

iJustine is cute, but you’re definitely hotter.

5. Russell Dunkin
    October 12, 2009 1:14 pm

I’ve presented to groups where I know the audience could see I was nervous. I was at your presentation, and couldn’t tell at all! You and Mike did great!

6. Scott
    October 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Is wondering if you will be serving a 6-4-9 while guest bartending.

7. bluzdude
    October 12, 2009 1:21 pm

One must be careful about dealing with poop in general online… It’s hard to deal with poop gracefully, unless kids are involved, in which case it becomes cute. (To read about… to clean up, not so much.)

Looking forward to the video…

I’ve always found that picturing the audience wearing their underwear helps combat nervousness. But then, I picture them wearing it on their head…

8. T3chb0y
    October 12, 2009 1:46 pm

I am still finding it difficult that you classified yourself as “older-ish”. (Being 4 years older, that may put me in a different category!)

9. Mike
    October 12, 2009 2:00 pm

If you want people to stop putting Pgh down, then don’t lob stones at other places (like Texas). I’ve spent a majority of my life in both Pgh and Texas. Neither of them ‘suck.’ They just don’t fit everyone. I realize ‘Texas sucks’ are sis’ words, but they are published here.

10. JennyMoon
    October 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Daniel Sepulvawhatever…..yum…..I did not realize.

11. Pittchick
    October 12, 2009 2:21 pm

I’ll be going to the PYP event on Friday, perhaps I’ll say hello. I was also at Podcamp, but didn’t say Hi. I think I am also shy, although I did talk to your butler on several occasions.

Wow. I had no idea Daniel was that hot. I love nice arms on a guy. Wow.

12. Tolnski
    October 12, 2009 2:23 pm

“Here I am answering a question and looking important because I’m holding a water bottle.”

You’re hilarious. Love it.

13. Di
    October 12, 2009 2:50 pm

I roll my eyes at overly-sensitive people. No one was lobbing stones at Texas. In fact, Texans have about as much pride for their state as Pittsburghers do for their city and I can respect that. But Texas is hot. And sometimes being hot sucks. That’s not hating on other places, it’s geography.

14. Erin M
    October 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I saw you speak on Saturday and could absolutely not tell you were nervous at all. You did a tremendous job and I know you gained some new fans!
    Good luck with the bartending gig!

15. Still A, Fan
    October 12, 2009 3:58 pm

i remember one time i went to a vendor fair for my company and worked our booth answering questions as a technical “expert” on the software. i had no problem doing that as i’m able to converse easily with people i don’t know. what bothered me tremendously was finding out the second day i was teaching a breakout session on one aspect of our software! i had no idea and thought i was just attending. the sales guy bailed and i had to teach it and it was for about 75 people. i could have died. never did that before in my life. Egad. i feel your pain.

16. Burgh Baby
    October 12, 2009 4:37 pm

If that was you nervous, I imagine that you calm is a force to be reckoned with. You done good.

Also, thanks for not getting a restraining order (yet). I guess that means the giant SQUEEEE I let out when you walked into my session was only in my head. Ahem.

17. Sooska
    October 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Ginny- was that your husband very briefly on KDKA? (if so, smokin’ hot -and even if not) I saw that they showed the front of the restaurant and John Delano mentioned it in a story on the construction in Market Square.

Incidentally, to the overly sensitive types: everyone, me included, is entitled to express their opinions with no caveats or apologies. Here is mine: Texas sucks. And so does Allentown, PA and Philadelphia.

18. Nick
    October 12, 2009 5:37 pm

I had to leave early on Saturday so I was not able to see your session. I’m looking forward to seeing it online soon.

19. Bojack
    October 12, 2009 5:47 pm

NEWSFLASH

Pittsburgh DOES suck!!!!!! BIG TIME!!!

Where is the outrage that should rightfully be voiced non-stop from every alleged “local” news source that 4 library branches are closing??????

The City (Lukey) contributes a whopping $40Kper year to the library system!! Libraries are open all year!!!! But Lukey & DanHo can spend untold millions on 3 days to shine their political peckers???????? Anybody seen any of the alleged “reimbursements??”

And all the hip, chic, hot, and cool people like the readers here
    just let it go????

Pittsburgh, and Pittsburghers DESERVE the slams!!!!!! A city of idiots!!!

20. Tina Fey
    October 12, 2009 5:52 pm

Maybe it’s because I compare it to Pittsburgh, but after living here 19 years, I feel I can say with authority that Texas does, in fact, suck. It has two seasons, hot and hell-like hot. It has ants that bite and cause allergic reactions. It has brain-eating amoeba in the lakes. And worst of all, it has the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones. Enough said.

21. Virginia
    October 12, 2009 6:00 pm

Oh! Tina Fey brought the church today!

22. Pingback: PodCamp Pittsburgh 4 | Creation Rex

23. Scott
    October 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Bojack, you need to take the medications DAILY. Please read the label carefully and consult your pharmacist if confused.

24. pghgeorge
    October 12, 2009 6:51 pm

I personally have a soft spot in my heart for New Jersey.

What’s the pigeon scene like down in Texas?

25. Bojack
    October 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Scott>>> You just keep drinking the Allegheny County Kool-Aid!

Personally, I prefer the stark truth!!

Libraries need to remain open so kids like you can read history and learn and hopefully remember things like the fact that Adolph Hitler was democratically elected in a free society by allegedly educated and thinking people!

The city contributes less than the cost of the asphalt parking lot at the next new Walgreens.

God forbid our current crop of children could actually spend time in, learn to use, cherish, and enjoy the amazing gift a free library is to a community!

Ever hear of Andrew Carnegie??

26. Lauren
    October 12, 2009 7:06 pm

I live in El Paso, which is more New Mexico/Mexico than it is Texas, but the pigeons here are scary. There was one the size of a cat on my balcony the other day. There was also enough bird shit on my car to basically change it’s color from far away. Texas sucks, but I’ve got no choice where I live…

27. Tina Fey
    October 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Pghgeorge, not many pigeons here in Texas. Not that I’ve seen anyway. They probably spontaneously combust as they approach the state line.

October 12, 2009 7:43 pm

3.Scooter Says:
    October 12th, 2009 at 12:50 pm
    You rock the casually knotted, non-weather related, multi-colored scarf.

Nope nope nope. It obstructs my view of your amazing rack, is what it does.

29. Akirah
    October 12, 2009 7:43 pm

I’m not certain you’re much more Ebony than she is. But I guess I’m comparing you both to myself. Glad you had fun!

October 12, 2009 8:10 pm

ijustine and ginny = *rowrrrrr*.

texas = a big bag of suck.

bojack = a good candidate for valium. and, to get the BOLD option removed from his/her computer.

31. Bojack
    October 12, 2009 9:33 pm

unsatisfied= “Hey-flock of sea gulls!”

Just some basic HTML, ya know, stuff you like, learn at a library n’at!

32. justagirl
    October 13, 2009 5:39 am

Bojack, honey, I’m a big library supporter, but you’re coming off as the crazy person talking to the copy machine like it’s your invisible friend. They aren’t saying they disagree; they’re saying you’re coming off like a nut.

You know, kind of like when someone walks up to me and screams, “You have beautiful blue eyes. YOU’RE A VIKING PRINCESS!” into my face. (A library occurrence, actually.) I may agree, but it doesn’t make them appear any more sane. (“Yes. Thank you. I have a meeting, sorry…”)

I <3 Tina Fey and her anti-Cowboys/Jerry Jones feelings.

Looking forward to the winter column!

33. JennyMoon
    October 13, 2009 7:17 am

justagirl – that was funny!

34. spoon
    October 13, 2009 7:55 am

Are there any pics of Ginny drinking the 649?

October 13, 2009 2:49 pm

bojack – I probably actually know more HTML than you ever will.

now, take 2 valium and call me in the morning.

36. Bojack
    October 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Moi?? Crazy??

Naw…I’m not even friends with the loser copy machine, but that cock-blocking fax machine better quit hitting on my gf!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeking:
    Blue-eyed blonde Viking Princess to talk Strict HTML 4.01 to me!!! Strict is just soo hot!!!! GAWWWD!!!!!!!!
    I’ve been very naughty too……
    :-)

37. Bojack
    October 14, 2009 4:14 am

unsatisfied (chronic?)>>>– No, you probably don’t!! Sorry, still unsatisfied!! LOL

38. Idan Beck
    October 28, 2009 4:07 pm

I wrote this silly iPhone app / web application to tweet your poop. It will probably make you lose followers but definitely a fun little gag: http://www.tweetyourpoop.com