Only in Pittsburgh …

Here’s an ad I noticed on WPXI’s website:

burghad

That needs no comment, right?

1. Brett
    October 21, 2009 6:14 pm

Did you see the Pittsburgh guy on jeopardy tonight? I swear the third or fourth thing out of his mouth when he was being introduced was how he is a big Steeler’s fan.

God I love this town!

2. JennLP
    October 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I swear on the name of all that is holy that there is a billboard on Route 51, near Library Road advertising George Pappas – endorsed by Jeff Reed.

3. lisa
    October 21, 2009 6:19 pm

I think Skippy was on a billboard ad for this doctor in the past……..maybe he needs more treatment.

4. spoon
    October 21, 2009 6:33 pm

holy crap his website has flaming spinning footballs!

5. PittinDC
    October 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Yes, there is a billboard on 51 for Dr. George Pappas with Skippy on it. The weirdest part for me is I am almost 100% sure that Dr. George Pappas was my Geometry teacher in High School.

6. Heather
    October 21, 2009 7:16 pm

I clicked on the link that Spoon posted and got this message in a popup:

“Dr. George Pappas – Spartan Mental Training – Cognitive Therapy & Hypnosis… gobbledegook something not supported”

Um… amazing. I may need to make something up to call and get a free consult. I’ll ask my real therapist first… :D

7. Magus Patris
    October 21, 2009 7:29 pm

I’ve build some shitty looking websites in my life because that’s what the client wanted, but I’d never put my name on them. His web site designer is a brave man. “OK, doc. Let’s make sure it’s like all black n gold, ’cause it’s like Pixburgh ‘n at. Then lets have some flaming footballs and maybe yinz can get some 3rd tier Stillers to gimme there pichures to put on ‘n at. It’ll be frickin’ awesome!”

8. Magus Patris
    October 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Sorry I missed this gem on his website: “I have appeared in television commercians, hosted tv shows, and had a spotlight in the news.” WTF is a “television commercian”? The “N” and the “L” are even next to each other on the keyboard. Damn, I’d be afraid he might help me stop smooking or loose weight.

9. Julie @ Wearing Mascara
    October 21, 2009 7:49 pm

These kind of signs are everywhere! It’s hilarious!

10. Pittsburgh Tom (now back in da burgh)
    October 21, 2009 8:00 pm

I actually sent a pic of the billboard on route 51 with Jeff Reed’s face on it to the pittgirl email address, but I guess she wasn’t reading it back then.

11. Pittsburgh Tom (now back in da burgh)
    October 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Doh! that last message should have said I sent the pic of the billboard back in May.

12. Jen
    October 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I think I need to quit my job as a web designer because I will never be able to create something that awesome. ever.

13. aunt penny
    October 21, 2009 8:05 pm

Spartan Mental Training?

Isn’t that the SNL high school/cheerleaders? Do ya think the skipster has been getting some of this?

This guy must converse often with Skippy, makes about as much sense. Spotlight in the news?

I just had a thought? Do you think this guy was prescribing athletic enhancement therapy to skippy and thats why he’s so stupid? Ops, sorry, meant distracting………..

Enuf. But I do like the new Tomlin rule to live by. If you’re going to be bad, be bad on sunday. Boy is that church.

14. USCMike
    October 21, 2009 8:51 pm

You’re all missing the point here. This doc has hypnotized Skippy so that he acts up whenever he hears the sound of urination. He does his thing at Sheetz and flips out on a towel dispenser. Spaeth is watering the curb the other night and Skippy flips on the cops.

Makes me wonder how Skippy would react if he had to use the gang urinals at Heinz Field during a game!

15. Joe
    October 21, 2009 9:03 pm

He sure is on that bill board. 2 years ago the same bill board had a pic of Bryant McFadden….go figure

16. butcher's dog
    October 22, 2009 5:15 am

Anyone else wondering if this was what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they crafted the “freedom of expression” clauses in the Constitution?

17. Heather
    October 22, 2009 6:34 am

How you know you’re officially a Pittsburgher… I had to read it 3 times before being sure what she meant… AND I work at an ad agency :-p

18. Mitch
    October 22, 2009 6:56 am

I went to high school with George, who has been a practicing hypnotherapist for about 30 years now. His father was a surgeon at AGH, if I recall correctly.

19. Pensgirl
    October 22, 2009 7:06 am

USCMike FTW. Too funny!

20. Sean
    October 22, 2009 8:13 am

You know, I’ve always wanted to be a WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I’m 5’7″, significantly slower than Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes and probably couldn’t catch a pass from Ben if he’s throwing the ball hard. However, maybe all that I need is Dr. George to help me with my athletic performance!

21. toni
    October 22, 2009 11:20 am

Hey! Hey! Hey! This is a perfectly normal Pittsburgh guy and doc. Now if you wanna talk about abnormal, his ad would say Go Bengals!!!